• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
My top 5 of the year:

1. Re:Zero
2. My Hero Academia
3. Erased
4. ReLIFE
5. GATE 2nd Season

HM: Kiznaiver, Dimension W, KonoSuba and Grimgar.

sonicmj1

Preliminary Top 5 (not counting Thunderbolt Fantasy)

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Not Crash
4. Kuromukuro
5. Erased

gargles

Right now, my Top 5 is something like this:

1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Re:Zero
4. Kiznaiver
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable

So... this could work as my Top 5 New Anime for 2016 (replace JoJo with Space Patrol Luluco or with Tanaka-kun is Always Listless).

Cornbread78

Nanbaka ep.6
x4YyxaI.jpg

OK, this battle is pretty damn intense, and that transformation at the end!!! That dude is gonna get rekt now!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm back.

This season is really bad.

LTTP: Haikyuu Episodes 1-12

This is really good. Can't believe I haven't watched it until now, but then again I don't gravitate to sports anime in general.

Ascheroth

I'm back.

This season is really bad.

LTTP: Haikyuu Episodes 1-12

This is really good. Can't believe I haven't watched it until now, but then again I don't gravitate to sports anime in general.

Welcome Back!

Well, good that Haikyuus 3rd season is airing this season : p

Yuri!!! On ICE Episode 7 – China's On! The Grand Prix Series Opening Event!! The Cup of China Free Skate
CxaMWIfXgAA0SuE.jpg:small
CxaMywrXcAAd1dO.jpg:small

Guang-hong ji had the best performance and I loved that random story for him in the middle of the performance. Too bad he has to be a show called Yuri on Ice as his fate was sealed the second he made a mistake.

Yuri's performance continues to always be the most boring, the music doesnt sound as good as say Russia's this episode or Minami's that episode, and I never feel like my eyes are glued to the screen watching it.

Phichit is overrated. I dont like the results.

why hide a kiss :(

Sound! Euphonium s2 7:
Nice to have some Haruka focus. She had a lot of good moments this episode, and this episode really sold on how important Asuka is to the band.

There were a few moments in the episode that I felt were a bit heavy handed (particularly the bit with Asuka's mom at the start), and this isn't really may favorite episode by far, but it's an important episode of the continued development of the cast.

Jex

[...]

Yeah, as you say his works give the notion that the outcome might be positive in the end, but in spite of everything else that drags down any inhabitant of the selfish worlds he creates... it is then only an inner hopeful perception his characters mentally project leaving aside their inner demons (as it happens on other of his works called El Evangelio de Judas)? It would be a sustainable outlook in the end? That struggle covered of a stylish use of grotesquely charming imagery is part of what makes Alberto Vázquez fascinating!
Despite the grotesque imagery and bleak mood the I think the film resonated very well with the audience at the festival. It seemed to be popular. I really hope that the movie can be seen by more people, although there are not many opportunities to watch this film. It is also a hard sell to a wider audience because if you're not paying attention it resembles a child's film, when it is actually nothing like that.

Eupho s2 07

A month? That can't be right, can it? I know Japanese people are generally like that and that Asuka's persona is extremely tough and withdrawn (and Taki-sensei is pretty much the same way) but an entire month???

But the Pres is right too. The club does kinda lean on Asuka a whole lot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7:

Well, the finally got crossed over into overt yaoi, or at least as overt as they are willing to get. Still can't believe Keijo beat them to this particular punch though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sound! Euphonium 2 07
I just cannot even focus on watching this. The story and writing are just repulsively bad and I want to just walk away from the screen. There is nothing genuine or sincere here on an emotional level, Euph just pops one contrived problem up after the other in a desperate fashion to create drama it fails to deliver on. Beyond the pathetically blunt and nonsensical domestic abuse in public scene I'm not sure it is even fair to say that this episode has a story. It is not really concerned about Asuka as a character or what these events mean for her or the people around her. This is just another incidental and forgettable road bump for the band as a collective. Its allusions to deeper themes that fizzle into nothing around what the future holds for these students feels completely wasted. The events here are slow, meandering, and completely without purpose until a cool performance scene at the end that fails to really resolve much of anything.

Leveraging sensitive topics like this without falling through on them feels manipulative in the worst way, and it's clear that there are no strong thoughts, themes, or emotions that come through in this story. The presentation is just so heavy handed that I left the episode thinking I was the one who got hit.

pbayne

Jesus i honestly couldn't remember/believe Galko-chan or Erased were from this year. My sense of time feels like its being counted in dog years or something lately.

Toppity 5ish

Doukyuusei
Rakugo
Osomatsu-san
DJ Tonkatsu(that was this year i think?)
Mob Psycho
Amanachu/Flying Witch
Voltron

And the only shows from this season to add would possibly be Haikyuu, Flip Flappers or Poco's Udon World. Or Concrete Revolutio that i really should watch some time soon.
Or the real secret AOTY Nurse Witch Koumgi Chan R

Jex

[Yuri on Ice] - 7 a.k.a the suffering continues

I guess it was nice that we got to learn a little bit more about each of Yuri's rival skaters this week but it still seems that we've only gained a very shallow understanding of them. I'm not still not convinced that the show spent it's time wisely by devoting so much time to all of them.

Beyond that, the struggle to make this series is real. You can feel it grow, week by week, especially when we've had back to back episodes composed of almost nothing but skating. The main things that stood out to me were:

- Unlike last week, they couldn't even finish corrections on Yuri's big skating finale.

- The amount of recycled reaction footage in this episode was shocking. They cut away to same loop of crowd clapping about 5 times. Yes, audience reaction footage is largely recycled in any tv anime production because that stuff is hard to produce but it shouldn't be so painfully obvious. This scene in particular was the main offender:

- Some of the cut-away edits felt distinctly off, as if the editor was just slapping together whatever footage they had lying around to complete the episode. I get the impression that once the episode is 'finished' a large number of the cut-away reaction shots will be completely different and that a lot of this stuff is placeholder.

Also, what's with the
censorship? Can't we be more open than Keijo? Seems a bit cowardly to me.

Cornbread78

Gankutsuou:The Count of Monte Cristo ep.1-6
AE6GF5Y.jpg

This show is so visually unique, I'm not sure what to say about it in that regard. The characters are all quite quirky and unique, and I love the mature themes the show is using. I also love the mystery behind the Count they are working on, as well as all of the events surrounding all the characters. Surely, everything will come forth eventually, but for now I'm enjoying the crazy ride through this show.

Jex

I have to say I am surprised that considering the huge popularity of Yuri On Ice it doesn't have an OT thread. Weird.

Line_HTX

Well you might want to sit down while I tell you this....

We are all a little different in personality, gender, race, nationality, stability and taste

There, I said it. You damn bottom of the barrel Texan's fan!

CZN5gJA.png

You shut it, Kiritobread you filthy Bostonian!

BEH~

XP

Narag

This is going to get it's own category during voting because it's already been confirmed to be "Not Anime" under any kind of classification. It deserves props, so it will get it's own category; I'll leave it up to everyone on what they want that to be. Anime related Media? That way we can lump in Trails of Cold Steel II and other games?

wtf is this shit? Don't clog up to aoty thread with extraneous stuff

Narag

I don't really think that's a good idea. Last time I saw a top 10 worst anime of all time list, it had stuff like SAO and Fairy Tail on it.

But I'm sure it would please some here, but I think it would just create a negative environnement

Agreed, it's one thing to poke at a show as it's airing or someone is going through it as it is topical but this sort of thing just leads to antagonistic trolling.

I don't really think that's a good idea. Last time I saw a top 10 worst anime of all time list, it had stuff like SAO and Fairy Tail on it.

But I'm sure it would please some here, but I think it would just create a negative environnement

worst lists never make sense because stuff that is truly bad never ends up there, it ends up being just popular show poster didnt like.

This year has had so many 10/10 anime that a top 10 for AOTY will be hard. Id have difficulty putting Gundam Unicorn on it with things like Super Lovers, Monster Hunter Stories Ride On, Prince of Stride Alternative, and more being this year.

Narag

Bad idea? Tryin' to throw Thundebolt a bone here. We talked about this a couple months ago..

Just throw it in wit regular voting, let it sink or swim under its own merit, and be done with it. The aoty list briefly masquerades as a one-off popularity poll for the year but quickly becomes another chapter in what is a growing list of shows highlighted and recommended by the community.

Was wondering about the name of an anime but I can't remember it or find thru google. It takes place in a school for magical/gifted kids and they play this game involving moving these clay doll things telepathically. It seemed pretty dark and was not a kids show. I recall them meeting a strange creature (or robot) who tells them things are not as they seem.

It seemed really interesting and I want to keep watching. From Around 2009 iirc.

Qurupeke

Was wondering about the name of an anime but I can't remember it or find thru google. It takes place in a school for magical/gifted kids and they play this game involving moving these clay doll things telepathically. It seemed pretty dark and was not a kids show. I recall them meeting a strange creature (or robot) who tells them things are not as they seem.

It seemed really interesting and I want to keep watching. From late 2000's iirc.

Shinsekai Yori. It's very good.

It seemed really interesting and I want to keep watching. From Around 2009 iirc.

It's not Kamisama Dolls is it?

Nope, nevermind, he got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom