• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

I just messaged a friend of mine who's watched Texhnolyze and showed him the chart to ask about its veracity and here's his response, as translated from spanish:

Nah

It's cool, but I think it's too slow to be able to engender such emotions

I don't know who to trust!

And just for the heck of it I then asked him to rate the Abe shows he's seen and the answer was as such:

lain > haibane > texhnolyze

I dunno, seems legit to me.

Jex

I just messaged a friend of mine who's watched Texhnolyze and showed him the chart to ask about its veracity and here's his response, as translated from spanish:

I don't know who to trust!
I umbrage with the notion the notion that a 'slow' work cannot be emotional effective, that doesn't ring true to me.

This isn't to say that I don't see where your friend is coming from. For whatever reason they don't appear to be invested in the characters of the series. If you aren't invested in the characters, then clearly you don't care how it ends. It's that simple.

March comes in like a Lion 7

As awkward as this series might be, I did relate to this episode. When you're depressed, connecting with people over little things feels like a bolt of lightning.

blurr

NieA_7 had 13 episodes and it did not turn out very well.

Filth and lies. I love that show.

Likewise.

March comes in like a Lion 7

As awkward as this series might be, I did relate to this episode. When you're depressed, connecting with people over little things feels like a bolt of lightning.

Connecting - sort of but I think his happiness was more over his life/learnings being useful to people other than himself. He was otherwise mentally stagnating once he had become independent which was his intention/motivation to play/win Shogi.

Key visual for Kabukibu - looks interesting

Cx2u-sAUsAEDOPV.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Wow the cabal turned out to be full of betrayal.
Hey I said that in my initial review. It feels like it either needed a longer run time or needed to have been simplified a bit. That said, it really is a gorgeous is a film which took me by aurprise considering previous entries.

Filth and lies. I love that show.

NieA_7 had some interesting components but they all ended up being pointless by the end.

Kabukibu is directed by Kazuhiro Yoneda (Yona of the Dawn, Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara), who's a good director with connections to good animators, as can be seen already by Majiro handling the animation character design. Definitely something to look forward to.

blurr

Kabukibu is directed by Kazuhiro Yoneda (Yona of the Dawn, Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara), who's a good director with connections to good animators, as can be seen already by Majiro handling the animation character design. Definitely something to look forward to.

I haven't seen either of those but good to hear.

E7 was definitely one of the more interesting anime I had seen.

Cornbread78

Poco's Udon World ep.5
Lots of life lessons being learned here as the boys grow into mature adults. I actually want sone pineapple now...

Aki-at

To Be Hero - 6

What a twist! Can't decide if this or Occultic;Nine had the bigger twist the week they both aired.

To Be Hero - 7

I like how they
dumped such a long explaination for the plot twist and then another twist comes and breaks the previous twist. Twistville.

Occultic;Nine - 7

Considering we were already aware where the plot was going, it was just a matter of waiting to see him
confirm with his own two eyes that he's dead.

Jarmel

Banned
Jarmel didn't even like Heaven and Earth.

I was the more deceived.

I liked it! Just not that much.

Surprise! I don't think Exodus is perfect either. It has some minor flaws at the end where it feels like it needed another episode or two to smooth things out on the plot side.

Thud

Saiki K. 90-95

That amusement park lol. Grandpa K is the weirdest.

Shameless advertisement for the videogame in the last short, is this gintama.

JulianImp

Izetta - #1
Watched this on a whim, and I guess I'll pick it up for now.

Still, I wish they just wouldn't have given us that long shower fanservice scene. Like, even after she got a somewhat more serious scene near the end they somehow felt like they had to have her take her towel off and show her ass to the camera for a couple seconds before cutting to the next one... like, really?

At least Izetta got a a hospital patient outfit but there wasn't as much focus on the fact that was all she was wearing, since from the earlier shower scene I was totally honestly expecting a couple sideboob shots or something (glad that didn't end up happening, though!).

duckroll

Your Name.

This is a good movie. That alone should be a huge compliment to Shinkai, the person who made a career out of short films exploiting sappy tragic love stories while hammering the audience on the head with themes of connection and distance relationships juxtaposed against scifi/fantasy tales about the perception of time and space. I didn't think he had it in him to make a film which could actually qualify as good, but I guess if you try enough times...

I think what makes it work well this time is how complete the work feels, and how well framed the narrative is. There is an elegance to the storytelling. Sadly Shinkai could not resist his trademark habits of insert song montages. While a couple were effective, after seeing 4-5 of them throughout the film, it loses the effect and just feels like a cheap shortcut to tighten parts of the story without having to fill in more details. Oh and overall the music kinda sucked. Hammy and on the nose, without being particularly memorable or emotionally resonant.

The story was pretty cute. I think the contrast of urban and rural lifestyles, along with male and female behavioral patterns (this was rather shallow though), made the story pretty interesting and helped energize the way it was told. The settings were really pretty, and some of the animation sequences were really stunning. This is also probably the only Shinkai story I can think of with an actual happy ending. Maybe that's why it's actually making money. Lol. I think honestly the story could do with or without the happy ending though. If it had ended a few scenes before, like 5cm did, I would probably still like it as much.

P.S. Wolf Children was still better. Suck it Shinkai. Hosoda's gonna eat you alive next year. :p

P.S. Wolf Children was still better. Suck it Shinkai. Hosoda's gonna eat you alive next year. :p

If we're talking box office profits, that'll depend on if Hosoda can push a heavy heartwarming romance angle and have it be lucky enough to catch on with general audiences. If we're talking artistic quality, well, I certainly hope so.

duckroll

If we're talking box office profits, that'll depend on if Hosoda can push a heavy heartwarming romance angle and have it be lucky enough to catch on with general audiences. If we're talking artistic quality, well, I certainly hope so.

Shut up! $200 million box office or bust! BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!~

blurr

Shinkai, the person who made a career out of short films exploiting sappy tragic love stories while hammering the audience on the head with themes of connection and distance relationships juxtaposed against scifi/fantasy tales about the perception of time and space.

The second half of your description actually doesn't sound half bad.

Personally, like 5 cm/sec the most, rest not so much but alright. Voices from the distant star is another one I'm fond of.

duckroll

The second half of your description actually doesn't sound half bad.

Personally, like 5 cm/sec the most, rest not so much but alright. Voices from the distant star is another one I'm fond of.

It's not meant to be entirely bad. It's just that he has a very consistent theme he's obsessed with which he only seemed to be able to express in the form of shorts. I think it's neat that he finally managed to sort out those feelings logically and applied it to a long form worth with a fleshed out and complete narrative.

5cm is also the work I liked best before this one. I like the ideas in Voices, but it didn't do much for me as a short.

Copper

Ef - a tale of memories 1-12

Ending kinda ruined it for me. Too many things are left unexplained. So can Chihiro remember things now? Or does she just remember her time with Renji? Does she still only have the 13 hour cycle?

Also I'm really surprised how how Kei was so okay with Hiro and Miyako being together. Hiro literally confessed to both of them that he loved them in the same episode. That makes no sense. Also Kyousuke's backstory didn't get explained very well.

It's not meant to be entirely bad. It's just that he has a very consistent theme he's obsessed with which he only seemed to be able to express in the form of shorts. I think it's neat that he finally managed to sort out those feelings logically and applied it to a long form worth with a fleshed out and complete narrative.

5cm is also the work I liked best before this one. I like the ideas in Voices, but it didn't do much for me as a short.

The first part of 5cm is excellent, but I'm not particularly fond of the second or third parts. So Garden of Words is my favorite complete Shinkai work up to now.

Watched the first two parts of Kara no Kyoukai. Does this get better? I heard the 5th part is supposed to be decent. Because as of right now, this is quite awful in my opinion.

The third film is OK, but the fifth film is the only particularly notable one.

duckroll

Watched the first two parts of Kara no Kyoukai. Does this get better? I heard the 5th part is supposed to be decent. Because as of right now, this is quite awful in my opinion.

2 and 4 are utter garbage.
1 is somewhat interesting, but kinda bad.
3 is decent.
5 is fucking amazing avant-garde horror action.
6 is okay for yuri fans, kinda fluffy (fuwafuwa).
7 will make you want to kill yourself.
8 is maybe kinda sorta interesting but mostly a waste of time.

Javac and even duckroll approving Your Name? neat

Flip Flappers - 06-07

I don't say that often but I might appreciate the more episodic content as that holds the meaningless Cocona / Papika relationship to a minimum. So, episode 6 was solid and 7 not so much.

Lion March - 06

What an amalgamation of bad. I actually sorta appreciated the backstory episode but even my very modest remaining hopes have just been blown away. All the dialogue in the first scene was nigh unbearable and I decided to skip ahead, although I returned after realizing that the scene was nearly over anyways. Finally gonna toss this one. There's a bunch of other shows I've wanted to check out anyways. First episode of Digimon was quite alright and that Udon show got a bunch of praise.

Is it still worth watching? I enjoyed the first season, I just wasn't contempt with that ending.
If you love memories I think you'll like melodies, it fills out some parts. I prefer melodies over memories honestly. It is a bit darker though.

Easily my favorite romance anime and I don't say that lightly because I generally hate romance anime.

Taruranto

Likewise.

Connecting - sort of but I think his happiness was more over his life/learnings being useful to people other than himself. He was otherwise mentally stagnating once he had become independent which was his intention/motivation to play/win Shogi.

Key visual for Kabukibu - looks interesting

CLAMP character design? Meh.

I don't mind it per se, but I really don't like such a distinctive style over a work that's not theirs.

sasuke_91

The third film is OK, but the fifth film is the only particularly notable one.

Thanks!

2 and 4 are utter garbage.
1 is somewhat interesting, but kinda bad.
3 is decent.
5 is fucking amazing avant-garde horror action.
6 is okay for yuri fans, kinda fluffy (fuwafuwa).
7 will make you want to kill yourself.
8 is maybe kinda sorta interesting but mostly a waste of time.

Wow, thanks for that. So... I should just continue until 5 (or 6 if I'm into yuri) and drop it?
It's kind of hard for me to drop stuff after being so far in. I still regret having finished Usagi Drop.

duckroll

Wow, thanks for that. So... I should just continue until 5 (or 6 if I'm into yuri) and drop it?
It's kind of hard for me to drop stuff after being so far in. I still regret having finished Usagi Drop.

Here's the thing, it really depends on what you feel you are getting out of this show. I can only speak for myself, but I felt that the main relationship between the two protagonists was the most shallow, painfully awkward, and poorly written thing I had seen in forever, especially in a popular show with good production values. Just awful shit. If you feel that way, I would really just suggest watching 3 and 5 and being done with it.

If you somehow actually think that garbage relationship is romantic and "tragic" or whatever, by all means watch all of it, you might even like it. Considering you didn't like 2 though, I somehow doubt that!

5 is the most stand alone story out of the entire set, because it focuses on a very contained strange tale story, and features a protagonist who comes into contact with the leads of the franchise, but otherwise has his own complete arc within the film. It's also like 2 hours long.

Cornbread78

Well, I thought so at least. I know other people don't like the complementary part as much.

If you love memories I think you'll like melodies, it fills out some parts. I prefer melodies over memories honestly. It is a bit darker though.

Easily my favorite romance anime and I don't say that lightly because I generally hate romance anime.

Something felt really wrong about one of the ships in melodies for me, so I rate memories much higher. Memories also had an emotional edge to it, which was absent from Melodies. Both are worth the watch though.

Jex

Surprise! I don't think Exodus is perfect either. It has some minor flaws at the end where it feels like it needed another episode or two to smooth things out on the plot side.

You know what anime doesn't need any more episodes to smooth out the ending?

Texhnolyze.

Not a single lose end to be tied up!

sasuke_91

Here's the thing, it really depends on what you feel you are getting out of this show. I can only speak for myself, but I felt that the main relationship between the two protagonists was the most shallow, painfully awkward, and poorly written thing I had seen in forever, especially in a popular show with good production values. Just awful shit. If you feel that way, I would really just suggest watching 3 and 5 and being done with it.

If you somehow actually think that garbage relationship is romantic and "tragic" or whatever, by all means watch all of it, you might even like it. Considering you didn't like 2 though, I somehow doubt that!

5 is the most stand alone story out of the entire set, because it focuses on a very contained strange tale story, and features a protagonist who comes into contact with the leads of the franchise, but otherwise has his own complete arc within the film. It's also like 2 hours long.

The bolded is exactly the way I felt about this relationship, which made watching the second movie extremely painful. In fact, I think the male lead is an even bigger psycho than Shiki, because after all that happened, he's still obsessed with this girl who had no redeeming qualities to begin with.

Your description of part 5 sounds promising.

The visual presentation is one area I'm hoping the new LoGH anime can improve upon. The action in the OVA series is always merely passable.

I hope they also improve the battles, in the sense of interesting strategies used and all that. In the original you have roll with the pretense they are tactical geniuses, but the truth is, they don't appear very smart to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom