• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/ Kaleid Season 1 - 4

Either i'm rotten to the core or i have a really good stomach

Char Aznable

Qsiv4dN.png

While the Umineko adaptation only covers half of the story and makes a couple of mistakes, you might want to check it out anyway since it's the next work of Higurashi's author. Then, if you like it, I'd advise reading the later chapters in VN form (there's a voice patch for the originals, at least).

Watched it way back when it came out.
Absolutely destroys me that is unfinished.
At the time I wasn't able to view or even find the ending so I decided to eventually play the VN.

Cornbread78

At the time I wasn't able to view or even find the ending so I decided to eventually play the VN.

I just added some more to my list above. They may not all meet 100% of your criteria, but close. Littke Busters is probably the closest, just don't watch it for romance, even if does have one of the best "confession" scenes ever, lol.

JulianImp

Then there's Higanbana, another VN (that actually started as a manga). Its stories are more varied, swinging from Higurashi levels of nearly mundane stuff going on to things way darker than either Higurashi or Umineko.

DIdnt know Nanbaka was a 24 episode anime.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-974109/nanbaka-returns-with-a-second-season
Big news! One of this season’s funniest new shows, NANBAKA, will be getting a second season starting in January 2017. We look forward to bringing 12 new episodes featuring Nanba prison’s most infamous characters as they continue to torment the guards and invent new ways to break out of their cells. Catch new episodes of NANBAKA every Tuesday at 12:30pm PST !

I just added some more to my list above. They may not all meet 100% of your criteria, but close. Littke Busters is probably the closest, just don't watch it for romance, even if does have one of the best "confession" scenes ever, lol.
Then there's Higanbana, another VN (that actually started as a manga). Its stories are more varied, swinging from Higurashi levels of nearly mundane stuff going on to things way darker than either Higurashi or Umineko.

Thanks

NANBAKA Episode 8 – A Monster and a Gorilla
Cx6SPx-XUAALosz.jpg:small
Cx6V3x0WgAAr9Wx.jpg:small

The sparkles being ever present always add a great touch to this.

Really great episode, personally more for the Uno Jyugo -> Hajime Uno relationships and developments. I need more of Hajime and Uno interacting.

Fantastic action with Jyugo and the fire guy.

Gate S2 - 1-3

So is the SDF really just gonna continue to curbstomp everyone and everything in fantasy land without any real challenge? I know it's only been three episodes, but outside of the dragon, nothing in this place seems capable of putting up a fight. Also, this drama with the blonde elf is annoying, so I'm hoping it gets wrapped up next episode.

JulianImp

Sengoku Basara 9 - "The Tiger of Kai Dies at Midaigawa!"

One of the reasons I like episode names at the end rather than the beginning (it sure worked for that one TTGL episode, for example), and am also somewhat against NEPs. My favorite use of the latter would be random in-character banter between the VAs, with either inconsequential or misleading images to go along with it.

It's even nicer when episode names help wrap the themes up, giving more coherence to the episode as a whole rather than just narrating exactly what's going to happen.

By the way, the full series name is Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni, and it has two discs with seven short stories each. There's no graphics or voice patch for either of them, but translation patches do exist (by a group called spider lily, I think).

jonjonaug

While the Umineko adaptation only covers half of the story and makes a couple of mistakes, you might want to check it out anyway since it's the next work of Higurashi's author. Then, if you like it, I'd advise reading the later chapters in VN form (there's a voice patch for the originals, at least).

Just read the VN instead, it's impossible to even solve some of the mysteries in the anime.

JulianImp

Just read the VN instead, it's impossible to even solve some of the mysteries in the anime.

Well yeah, but Episode 1 is a test of endurance with all the characters it has to introduce before the plot even gets started, which made Umineko a lot more of a drag early on compared to Higurashi and its more focused cast. Early through Higurashi 1 I was already somewhat acquaintanced with Keiichi and company, whereas with Umineko you watch characters get killed off before you know anything about them.

cj_iwakura

[On Texhnolyze]

That chart does not lie. It makes me want to go watch something like Harmony to raise my spirits.

Have you seen the 1st episode though? That's arguably the best directed and most interesting part of the show.

The outtakes on the US version are incredible. As said, the OP is so good. Juno Reactor, godlike.

I liked texhnolyze when I watched it. But I don't know if I could watch it again. It's not even so much the despair as more that it isn't a show I'd like to rewatch again.

cj_iwakura

I liked texhnolyze when I watched it. But I don't know if I could watch it again. It's not even so much the despair as more that it isn't a show I'd like to rewatch again.

I still own the whole set from when it came out(with the badass holographic covers), but I've never watched it more than once. But it's ABe, I own everything he's been involved with.

Your occasional reminder: dammit where's Despera.

Line_HTX

I wonder if anyone watched Texhnolyze in combo with Serial Experiments Lain since the character designs are from Yoshitoshi ABe.

TUSR

Banned
While i'm not interested enough in the series to buy it, when Rightstuf accidentally sent me Erased instead of Owarimonogatari, the Erased set was very nice.

I think this would greatly upset me. Did you drive next door and exchange it with them?

Thoraxes

I think this would greatly upset me. Did you drive next door and exchange it with them?

Though it's only like a 3 hour drive over there, I just mailed it back to them and they reimbursed me the shipping costs.

I was more surprised than angry though lol. It was basically the wrong timing, since I got someone else's order that had the same last name as me. Even more perplexing was the two copies of Gatchman CROWDS insight on both bluray and DVD that this person ordered.

Line_HTX

Though it's only like a 3 hour drive over there, I just mailed it back to them and they reimbursed me the shipping costs.

I was more surprised than angry though lol. It was basically the wrong timing, since I got someone else's order that had the same last name as me. Even more perplexing was the two copies of Gatchman CROWDS insight on both bluray and DVD that this person ordered.

Didn't you already order Crowds a while back?

Jintor

I've been rewatching I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying to practice my Japanese and because it's literally 3-minute episodes that still somehow manage to feel incredibly streamlined and cool, and man, I totally forgot that episode 11 takes a hard swing into zetsubou territory.

KamiCrit

I've been rewatching I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying to practice my Japanese and because it's literally 3-minute episodes that still somehow manage to feel incredibly streamlined and cool, and man, I totally forgot that episode 11 takes a hard swing into zetsubou territory.

Powerful moment, the despair is real.

turmoil

Banned
Flip Flappers 1-7

Nice ride so far, I'm interested in learn what's the deal with gend... I mean their leader. It punched hard at the emotional moments and artistically it is outstanding, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom