• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am exaggerating and kind of joking but what has he led that you found yourself especially impressed by? Like other KyoAni directors he does not really seem to be capable of elevating the material he is working with. I would say he has more potential than some of the other leads there but it is hard to be optimistic about KyoAni's upcoming TV ventures.

Ishidate's work as assistant director on Nichijou, as storyboarder and episode director on various KyoAni shows such as Hyouka, and even as director on Kyoukai no Kanata, as flawed as the material for that was, show that he has considerable talent. Impugning the directorial talent at KyoAni is simply silly. (Except for Ishihara; impugn him all you want. His OPs are just the worst.)

[slight exaggeration] Wasn't Kekkai Sensen secretly just liked for it's OP and ED and, given the camera motive, I figure the OP was done by Rie?

Also a reboot of sorts when the previous anime adaptation ran just a while ago and this is now lacking Rie's directing prowess to boot...I wonder how the reception will be.

Narag

5TJPaFz.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE

damn big shoes to fill here. Completely forgot about this project.

Squishy3

???
2015 for KyoAni was Euph season one and movies for Kyoukai no Kanata/Free that fell in line with series expectations. Not really a new low when it was the same low lifted slightly by Euph. Euph S2 kind of just fits KyoAni's image as a studio that struggles to find worthwhile material to adapt. Their step forward in 2016 obviously comes from Silent Voice (even if I think the source material is still junk), and ultimately Euphonium as a series will do very little to define the studio's direction. There is a lot that hangs on Violet Evergarden as it is coming up through novel farm system, but the director situation at KyoAni has already saddled the project with a total loser.
I think by his post he might be referring to Phantom World

Line_HTX

Heh. Kumiko's VA told us Singaporean fans during her stage event on Sunday that it was one of her favourite scenes from Season 1.

I appreciate the level of quality it's been maintaining thus far. Couldn't quite bring myself to finish Myriad Colors Phantom World. Perhaps the one and only recent Kyoani anime that I dropped after the first few episodes.

I meant the likes of Beyond the Boundary and Chuunibyou. I actually liked Phantom World earlier this year, so take that what you will.

:p

duckroll

Absolutely Not Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 21

I think this show really earned the "Exodus" title. The sense of struggle, loss, and the human cost of a long journey founded on hope as resources are depleted over a period of time. It's handled really well and they really hammered it home here.

Oh I didnt even know this was a thing??? Im so ready for more, I still listen to the concert cd and also all of their songs. I need my Shun Shun.

Scriptwriter Ikuyo Hashiguchi confirmed on Monday that the Shōnen Hollywood - Holly Stage for 50 anime will get a "complete edition" of its 26th and final episode. (While the anime has 13 episodes, the episode count includes the 13 previous episodes from the Shōnen Hollywood - Holly Stage for 49 anime.) The episode was funded by a crowdfunding campaign that sought 15,000,000 yen (about US$133,793) for the production. The campaign eventually raised 59,582,000 yen (about US$528,000) before ending on Tuesday.

The episode will be over 45 minutes long, and will feature hand-drawn footage of the characters performing in a concert. The staff planned to complete and preview the music and main character voice parts by December 24, and complete the episode itself next fall, after an event between July and August.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ded-complete-edition-of-final-episode/.109284

e_i

I wonder how long it will take Mangagamer to put up A Kiss for the Petals 2 on Steam. I don't want to pay for the game through Mangagamer (no Paypal).

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 01

rmdSx.gif

It's a shame cause female MC actually seemed alright. But if I wanted abusive relationships and women being okay with them I'd just rewatch Kare Kano.

yikes lmao

huh I dont remember Kare Kano having an abusive relationship, unless you're talking about the whole blackmail thing in the beginning. In the show I think that plot point is dropped/toned down pretty quick, but yeah I hate "I love abusive boys" protagonists being played straight (ex: Wolf Girl Black Prince)

phaze

It will be interesting to see how this new season of BB does, It kinds feels everyone forgot about it asap quickly despite how much it sold.

I doubt "we" accounted for many of those sales, the reception in the west wasn't particularly amazing or anything IIRC.

yikes lmao

huh I dont remember Kare Kano having an abusive relationship, unless you're talking about the whole blackmail thing in the beginning. In the show I think that plot point is dropped/toned down pretty quick, but yeah I hate "I love abusive boys" protagonists being played straight (ex: Wolf Girl Black Prince)

It's admittedly more about what happens in manga after anime where there are only beginnings of that. It has very recently came to my attention that I was apparently right in calling the shitstain also known as Arima as a
rapist waiting to happen. (so I'm venting).

Jex

Absolutely Not Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 22

Damn.

And you just stopped there? I would have had to finish in one shot.
New director, new writer, "new series" rather than "second season". Uh oh.
Wow, looks like the next series of Blood Blockade Battlefront will be even worse than the original. I can only hope Rie is in a better place.
So, I like Keijo quite a bit, enjoying it for its pure absurdity. I feel like its story is a bit by the books if you strip away all the boob and butt unique battle mechanics and such, fitting into a pretty standard shonen formula both in characters and narrative.

But while doing Twitter promotion for my Wife and I's review website, I was contacted by someone who asked me to join a Discord on Keijo, with the intent of discussing it.... What's to discuss? Curious, I joined anyway.

It's so odd. The guy set up this community to discuss the series, and feels it's one of the greatest anime of all time as far as I can tell. There's a few other users who feel the same way, frustrated that the world hasn't accepted the majesty that is Keijo. There's been talk/worry about Keijo's sales, encouraging people to buy the Blurays when they hit, voting in Japan only polls to try and bolster its popularity (Mind you, I don't think we really know how popular it even is in Japan till those sales first hit.)

But as for actual discussion, would you believe it, there is none! Daily messages mostly consist of people asking each other if they've finally watched the latest episode or not, or asking each other's favorite character, or reminding each other it's the best anime ever, ecchi or not. Oh and that Ecchi needs to become more dominant/accepted by the overall population.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, I found it interesting seeing an entirely different side of the fandom, one predicated on Ecchi's acceptance and wholly invested in Keijo like it is, indeed the savior of anime. They're nice guys though, just, not sure what there's really to talk about with Keijo lol.
That is strangely fascinating, thanks for the insight.

I doubt "we" accounted for many of those sales, the reception in the west wasn't particularly amazing or anything IIRC.

It's admittedly more about what happens in manga after anime where there are only beginnings of that. It has very recently came to my attention that I was apparently right in calling the shitstain also knows as Arima as a
rapist waiting to happen. (so I'm venting).
I have a very vague memory that might be what you're talking about...did the
rape
happen in the main character's house or am I off?

Looks like Blood Blockade Season 2 got announced.

Yay!

neat

rmdSx.gif

It's a shame cause female MC actually seemed alright. But if I wanted abusive relationships and women being okay with them I'd just rewatch Kare Kano.

You should drop it because from episode 3 onward it's just another normal shojo, totally unremarkable.

Jex

That we even have these screenings in the U.K. is mostly the result of one party who thinks it's good and important for it to happen batting his head against the problem until something actually sticks. That Your Name is doing well is great, but that comes from a history of screenings being released under the expectations of breaking even at best (and taking any losses as advertising expenses - cinema screenings are good for wider perception).

I have to imagine All The Anime are pretty pleased about the apparent success of Your Name.

You should drop it because from episode 3 onward it's just another normal shojo, totally unremarkable.

I absolutely loathed how that damn show tried to aggressively rush its characters into having an actual relationship just to then immediately regress into the typical fucking-nothing-actually-happens-shoujo.

All the funny facial expressions in the world couldn't help the ensuing "I study so hard, yet he scores higher than me!" crap. Like, that kind of shit is what the show focused on after that opening? Smh

rmdSx.gif

Sexism at its finest given your appreciation of Toradora pfff!

Qurupeke

Euphonium S2 8
lUyAU06.png

When I see people criticizing Eupho.

Oh hey, the Asuka story isn't over. I kind of hope Natsuki will take her place though. The Asuka-Kumiko meeting will be interesting. Pretty much the mid final boss, just before the Nationals.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Toradora is slapstick, not abuse.

Bakemonogatari is abuse, and it's glorious.

phaze

I have a very vague memory that might be what you're talking about...did the
rape
happen in the main character's house or am I off?

Seems like it's library.

So you're saying this random top romance anime list lied to me ? What has this world come to.

Sexism at its finest given your appreciation of Toradora pfff!

You're probably not wrong that I'd much more easily ate up violence in opposite direction ...

but alas:

- Taiga didn't kidnap Ryuji into dark alley and threatened him with rape.
- She didn't force herself on him during their first kiss
- The violence in Toradora was much more slapsticky than here. Unless that's just my sexism speaking. (Though to give it its due, it isn't shrugged off in Kaibutsu completely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom