• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Considering the replacements I'm going to say "didn't want to come back". Lolz.
The production was a complete shitshow so I would not be surprised either way. Wasn't it her that couldn't complete the storyboards or whatever for the last episode?
Considering the replacements I'm going to say "didn't want to come back". Lolz.
Oh shit that's an exceptionally bad director. I should know as I watched part of Tokyo ESP on my research into Xebec.

duckroll

The production was a complete shitshow so I would not be surprised either way. Wasn't it her that couldn't complete the storyboards or whatever for the last episode?

Still sold a shitload. Fans loved it. You don't see Akane being fired after Akito, or Mizushima being fired after Girls und Panzer. If your best replacement is the director of The World God Only Knows, for the best selling TV anime BONES has had in a gazillion years, well.......... :p

Jarmel

Banned
Still sold a shitload. Fans loved it. You don't see Akane being fired after Akito, or Mizushima being fired after Girls und Panzer. If your best replacement is the director of The World God Only Knows, for the best selling TV anime BONES has had in a gazillion years, well.......... :p
Yea I know, which is why this is kinda bizarre. BONES had to have had better options than this. I wonder if she walked out last minute.

Cornbread78

People with their yuri glasses on still finds stuff ;p

Well, there's been no debate about it for 2 pages each week, so it's obviously less blatant then it was last year!

The promotional radio programs they've been hosting has a section where Kumiko and Reina's VAs are given a situation (like "at school" or "studying at home"), and they act out yuri bait for the masses. Really.

No objections here.

Oh, now that is kinda fun actually. It's much better when they are not trying to shoehorn it into the show and just playing games as the VAs off-screen.

duckroll

Absolutely Not Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 18-20

So after dropping that shitty trash anime Exodus, I decided to watch a few episodes of this show which is absolutely not Exodus. It's pretty new. There's even a new OP and ED. Errr... I mean there's even an OP and ED! Y-yeah! It's also rather brutal, but it's more optimistic than that terrible show I dropped. Seems like there might be hope after all for these characters who are totally not Fafner characters.

Help me... still crying...

JulianImp

Oh, now that is kinda fun actually. It's much better when they are not trying to shoehorn it into the show and just playing games as the VAs off-screen.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. The VAs appear to have a blast reading the crazy scenarios the audience sends them, which makes the scenes more fun than creepy.

The show still has some things people could take as yuri baiting, such as Reina promising to play for Kumiko (since both agreed that the alternative of her playing for Taki would've been a bad idea), but we luckily never got anything as bait-y as that one episode where Reina ran her finger down Kumiko's face back in S1.

I'm still enjoying S2 so far, even though it has certainly become a lot more anime-ish than the previous season. I'm still looking forward to seeing how Asuka's issues get sorted out, but am not as hyped as I was before because of how the show has been treating both her and Mamiko's issues as of late.

Taruranto

It will be interesting to see how this new season of BB does, It kinds feels everyone forgot about it asap quickly despite how much it sold.

Szadek

What exactly are the Madoka clones everyone points out? I haven't seen it but i guess Yuki Yuna must be one? What others are there? Day Break Illusion?
DBI is the most blatant one. I haven't seen Yuna yet either, but it's supposed to be quite smilar.
wixoss , while not a magical girl show, is often compared to madoka as well.

There are at least 2-3 other dark mg manga that don't have an anime addatation yet.

Line_HTX

Euphonium S2 is still KyoAni's comeback from their bottom tier shit from last year. I'm sticking with the ride until the end, and will not get bummed out like Jintor and Kiritobread!

At least it's not overdoing it and going at a frantic pace like Yuri on Ice.

6aRBX8Z.png

What exactly are the Madoka clones everyone points out? I haven't seen it but i guess Yuki Yuna must be one? What others are there? Day Break Illusion?
Yuki Yuna sticks pretty close to the Madoka formula than others. i.e. The despair is a surprise.

Unlike Magical Girl Rising where they throw it right in your face 1 second into the show. wixoss I'm not sure I would accuse it of Madoka clone because it is a card game show and there was never any moment of magical girl whimsy.

pbayne

DBI is the most blatant one. I haven't seen Yuna yet either, but it's supposed to be quite smilar.
wixoss , while not a magical girl show, is often compared to madoka as well.

There are at least 2-3 other dark mg manga that don't have an anime addatation yet.

Yuki Yuna sticks pretty close to the Madoka formula than others. i.e. The despair is a surprise.

Unlike Magical Girl Rising where they throw it right in your face 1 second into the show. wixoss I'm not sure I would accuse it of Madoka clone because it is a card game show and there was never any moment of magical girl whimsy.

I mean 2-3 shows that have some similar elements over the course of nearly 6 years now since Madoka came out doesn't speak to me as a show that has had a massive influence on the genre. Lol the way people talk about "dark and edgy" Madoka clone mahou shoujos, you'd swear one was popping up every month.

Line_HTX

Even after that delayed finale it still did well?

That replacement director though. Who knows, he might get them a 3rd season!

Sölf

So, the new Gintama anime is supposedly the final season. I won't believe that until it really ends. I mean, this is Sorachi. Heck, he could just put a flashback arc in the middle of the final one because why not. Or he could do a new manga, call it "Two Piece" and simply continue doing Gintama. Nothing suprises me with him anymore.

I mean 2-3 shows that have some similar elements over the course of nearly 6 years now since Madoka came out doesn't speak to me as a show that has had a massive influence on the genre. Lol the way people talk about "dark and edgy" Madoka clone mahou shoujos, you'd swear one was popping up every month.
Personally I don't agree with the whole 'Madoka clone' thing.

MSMrRound

but we luckily never got anything as bait-y as that one episode where Reina ran her finger down Kumiko's face back in S1.

Heh. Kumiko's VA told us Singaporean fans during her stage event on Sunday that it was one of her favourite scenes from Season 1.

Euphonium S2 is still KyoAni's comeback from their bottom tier shit from last year. I'm sticking with the ride until the end, and will not get bummed out like Jintor and Kiritobread!

I appreciate the level of quality it's been maintaining thus far. Couldn't quite bring myself to finish Myriad Colors Phantom World. Perhaps the one and only recent Kyoani anime that I dropped after the first few episodes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
???
2015 for KyoAni was Euph season one and movies for Kyoukai no Kanata/Free that fell in line with series expectations. Not really a new low when it was the same low lifted slightly by Euph. Euph S2 kind of just fits KyoAni's image as a studio that struggles to find worthwhile material to adapt. Their step forward in 2016 obviously comes from Silent Voice (even if I think the source material is still junk), and ultimately Euphonium as a series will do very little to define the studio's direction. There is a lot that hangs on Violet Evergarden as it is coming up through novel farm system, but the director situation at KyoAni has already saddled the project with a total loser.

blurr

FUCK YES KEKKAI SENSEN S2 HYPE

This is my Code Geass sequel in more ways than one.

Lack of Rie Matsumoto is worrisome but the new director has worked on stuff I've liked so let's see.

One of the problems with Eupho S2 is that the music aspect seems secondary to drama. Whereas S1 had nice depictions of the struggles and joy of learning an instrument and such, this season has lost almost all of that. Now we just have this formulaic approach where someone isn't playing to their best due to drama and once resolved, they're now acing it. As Hosanna has mentioned, its particularly cheap to portray it akin to "Oboe-san can finally play very expressive after making up with Nozomi!"

I mean the narrative currently is clearly "band plays badly because Asuka stuff" and the same applies on a smaller scale for Kumiko with her sister.

When performing there's still the great attention of detail but as far as the narrative goes, the music element is almost entirely displayed by generic drama, instead of being at least intertwined with that better.

Yes, music is secondary to some extent, other times like with Oboe-san it feels like it was forcefully tied in than even secondary.

duckroll

I'm just pointing out, it doesn't say "second season" at all. The announcement is for a "new series" called "Kekkai Sensen & Beyond", with a brand new director and writer. Usually when announcements are made like this, there's a 50:50 chance it's a reboot or a brand new take that ignores everything previously made.

blurr

And so history teaches us that Lucky Star was in fact the peak of KyoAni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko&app=desktop

I'm just pointing out, it doesn't say "second season" at all. The announcement is for a "new series" called "Kekkai Sensen & Beyond", with a brand new director and writer. Usually when announcements are made like this, there's a 50:50 chance it's a reboot or a brand new take that ignores everything previously made.

I acknowledge that staff changed and remain optimistic. That is all.

Good chance there's a reboot like you said but the show's appeal has always been the world for me. If it retains that, I'm fine with it.

bv3P71H.png

I'm not a translator but let me know if there's a context where this doesn't mean season 2.

I know it does say 新シリーズ始動 right beside.

I've seen a lot of manga fans complain about the anime-original material in Kekkai Sensen, so I imagine the new anime will take an approach that hews closer to the manga material.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Taichi Ishidate is not a "total loser".
I am exaggerating and kind of joking but what has he led that you found yourself especially impressed by? Like other KyoAni directors he does not really seem to be capable of elevating the material he is working with. I would say he has more potential than some of the other leads there but it is hard to be optimistic about KyoAni's upcoming TV ventures.

Aki-at

How much more manga material is there anyway?

More than enough. I think the anime sporadically took about 5 volume worth of material and there are about 12 so far.

So if they want to reboot the series and use Nightow's more superior work fine by me :D

I liked the anime only characters and they were still pretty faithful.

EDIT: Welp too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom