• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Any recommendations on some good cost-for-value deals from the Right Stuf sale? One thing I was eyeing were the Kaleido Star sets; looks like a lot of content for just under $30 and it's by a pretty well-renowned director/writer combo in Sato and Yoshida.

Sengoku Basara S2 1

This really does start exactly where S1 left off, clever. Doesn't waste any time throwing out the new big bad either. Whereas Oda was a force of hell, Toyotomi is portrayed more as a force of nature. He doesn't have the same malevolence as Oda and his underlings had, but rather is dominated by stoic resolution, not to mention awe-inspiring power. With hints already being dropped about Toyotomi's backstory, it looks like this'll be a more complicated story than season 1's pretty straightforward Good vs. Evil.

Meanwhile, the relationship of fists and yelling between Yukimura and Takeda has risen to a new level of greatness.

Narag

Sengoku Basara S2 1

This really does start exactly where S1 left off, clever. Doesn't waste any time throwing out the new big bad either. Whereas Oda was a force of hell, Toyotomi is portrayed more as a force of nature. He doesn't have the same malevolence as Oda and his underlings had, but rather is dominated by stoic resolution, not to mention awe-inspiring power. With hints already being dropped about Toyotomi's backstory, it looks like this'll be a more complicated story than season 1's pretty straightforward Good vs. Evil.

Meanwhile, the relationship of fists and yelling between Yukimura and Takeda has risen to a new level of greatness.

Buckle up.

Thoraxes

Looks like Blood Blockade Season 2 got announced.

Yay!

Cool.
One of the problems with Eupho S2 is that the music aspect seems secondary to drama. Whereas S1 had nice depictions of the struggles and joy of learning an instrument and such, this season has lost almost all of that. Now we just have this formulaic approach where someone isn't playing to their best due to drama and once resolved, they're now acing it. As Hosanna has mentioned, its particularly cheap to portray it akin to "Oboe-san can finally play very expressive after making up with Nozomi!"

I mean the narrative currently is clearly "band plays badly because Asuka stuff" and the same applies on a smaller scale for Kumiko with her sister.

When performing there's still the great attention of detail but as far as the narrative goes, the music element is almost entirely displayed by generic drama, instead of being at least intertwined with that better.

Those are all real issues people in ensembles like that go through though. And yeah, I say this speaking from experience, having helped lots of people through those kinds of things. It can seem formulaic, but to be honest, it's shit that lots of high-school ensembles and performers as individuals go through in music. One example I lived through: We once lost our star trumpet soloist/performer because he got pulled from school to go to chemo for his recently diagnosed cancer, which brought everyone down till he came back to visit and the other seniors stepped up to bring everyone together. Everyone cried bitch tears when he came back to play the solo at our fall concert, despite being out of practice for 3 months.

While maybe it comes across as contrived for TV anime (and for people like you guys), I really appreciate that they show those scenarios and how they affect the kids in their own band microcosm (though Mizore was a little over-dramatic, i'll give you that). It's something more for people who've gone through it I think, and I totally get why people are down on drama/band drama stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok I was able to translate the remaining names except who the editor is. Whatever.

Black Clover Jump Festa Special Staff

Director:Takeshi Noto
Script: Takamitsu Kouno
-
Character Design: Noboru Jitsuhara
Prop Design: Futoshi Oonami
-
Art Design: Kaoru Aoki
Art Director: Yoshio Tanioka
-
CGI Director: Eiji Inomoto
-
Color Designer: Ayumi Ikeda
Photography Director: Yuuichi Tsuzuki
Edit:
-
Composer: Yuya Mori
Sound Director: Toshiki Kameyama
Sound Effects: Hiromune Kurahashi
-
Ending Theme: Dream On by Angela
-
Animation Production Studio: Xebeczwei
-
Animation Production: Xebec

------

So yea it's made up almost entirely of the Exodus staff.

Cornbread78

Dennou Coil ep.2
iYt9Hgv.jpg
Ok, I'm even more confused now as to how this world works.. Granny is best girl, just calling it now!
Lots of things going on at once, but I like the character personalities so far... oh and dat robot thing is super weird, lol.

Ok I was able to translate the remaining names except who the editor is. Whatever.

Black Clover Jump Festa Special Staff

Director:Takeshi Noto
Script: Takamitsu Kouno
-
Character Design: Noboru Jitsuhara
Prop Design: Futoshi Oonami
-
Art Design: Kaoru Aoki
Art Director: Yoshio Tanioka
-
CGI Director: Eiji Inomoto
-
Color Designer: Ayumi Ikeda
Photography Director: Yuuichi Tsuzuki
Edit:
-
Composer: Yuya Mori
Sound Director: Toshiki Kameyama
Sound Effects: Hiromune Kurahashi
-
Ending Theme: Dream On by Angela
-
Animation Production Studio: Xebeczwei
-
Animation Production: Xebec

------

So yea it's made up almost entirely of the Exodus staff.

Though I have little positive to say about the manga, I'm happy that it didn't get cursed with being produced by Toei. I don't wish that fate on any mangaka...except maybe Kōji Seo.

jonjonaug

I finished it and it was one of the hardest watches of my life.

Then I read the manga and the best bits and characters weren't even covered and now I want a season 2.

I mean, Yuu-chan broke up with her boyfriend in the manga, and they did make that joke in the OVA that this would have to happen to get season 2.

Though I have little positive to say about the manga, I'm happy that it didn't get cursed with being produced by Toei. I don't wish that fate on any mangaka...except maybe Kōji Seo.

There is nothing that says the eventual tv anime wouldnt be done by Toei. (though Toei's World Trigger was really good).

Also sometimes these specials leave something to be desired, see Assassination Classroom special before the tv anime came.

Clov

Been a bit since I posted here; I got really busy and fell behind on anime, but I'm just about caught up now! One more Euphonium episodes, one more of 3-gatsu, and two more of Show by Rock.

It's one of my favorites from last year but the changes in the staff kinda scares me.

Which changes in staff? Do they still have Rie Matsumoto?

Clov

But maybe you liked classics by the new director like The World God Only Knows and Tokyo ESP!

Having seen the first season of this, I can confirm this is false.

That's one hell of a downgrade. I wonder if Rie is working on something else?

Jex

Well, I hope that's the case. IBO has, well, let's say worn out it's welcome in the Toonami thread, and another middling Gundam show immediately replacing it would be a real drag.

How about another middling Gundam show with good production values?

How about it, eh?

duckroll

Expectations for an Exodus sequel sinking lower and lower with how the staff is booked on other stuff.

Are they though? I mean this is a Jump Festa special, basically an OVA that they screen at the event in December. It's more than likely done by now and probably didn't take long to make. The bigger barrier has always been Yamato 2202. During Yamato 2199, Habara said that it was the main reason why Exodus was delayed, because they had to work on that instead. Now that Habara has taken over as the director of 2202... lol.

pbayne

Orga and Kudelia are... pretty interesting characters, haha

S1's whole "plot" was basically "how do we get Kudelia from point A to point B". Its funny watching the show desperately try to scrape together some semblance of a plot now when S1 has completely hobbled it from a character and story perspective.

Lol S2 Kudelia reminds me of Han Solo in Return of the Jedi. She's just there, her usefulness is completely worn out. Other than making the odd vaguely defined business deal why is she still there?

Jarmel

Banned
Are they though? I mean this is a Jump Festa special, basically an OVA that they screen at the event in December. It's more than likely done by now and probably didn't take long to make. The bigger barrier has always been Yamato 2202. During Yamato 2199, Habara said that it was the main reason why Exodus was delayed, because they had to work on that instead. Now that Habara has taken over as the director of 2202... lol.

Well they don't necessarily need Habara in the first place. The Heaven and Earth movie was largely done without him, as it was Suzuki and Noto. They could just end up doing another movie and not a full TV series. The main question is whether Zwei is contracted for the Black Clover TV series and not just the OVA.

pbayne

Lol since it came up on the last page, and id agree standards for romcoms now are pretty low, what's worse? Romance in modern shoujos or romance in Gundam?

Cause Gundam is still the winner for me.
Tomino confirmed worse than George Lucas.

Lol since it came up on the last page, and id agree standards for romcoms now are pretty low, what's worse? Romance in modern shoujos or romance in Gundam?

Cause Gundam is still the winner for me.
Tomino confirmed worse than George Lucas.

Wing writren materials romance sounds like the worst thing. At least Seed and Destiny had a watchable romance.

duckroll

I finished Fafner Exodus. It was so good I don't know what to say. I want to write something substantial about it, but I'm too overwhelmed by how it managed to end without tripping and falling on its face at the finish line because things got so messy. Somehow it managed to move everything into place regardless, and the ending was really satisfying.

Ascheroth

I finished Fafner Exodus. It was so good I don't know what to say. I want to write something substantial about it, but I'm too overwhelmed by how it managed to end without tripping and falling on its face at the finish line because things got so messy. Somehow it managed to move everything into place regardless, and the ending was really satisfying.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!
It wasn't my AOTY 2015 without reason!

Now you can join us in the suffering that is waiting for more Fafner!

SHarris78

Watched the first episode of Assassination Classroom, not sure what to make of it but I'll keep going for a bit. Also watched the first episode of Squid Girl, so much fun! 🐙

After watching season 1 of K-On yet again, finally ordered season 2 and the movie to watch over xmas. Also bought season 1&2 of Love Live! to watch over and over and over.....

Jex

Welcome, brother.

duckroll

You guys sound like you're in a cult!

Isn't it? A small group of fanatical supporters believing in hope against all odds, gathering together every year on the birthday of the symbol of their hope to share their faith in a better future. Cult or Fafner fans? You decide.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you ever wanted to know who decides whether something is a cult classic, it's someone like Jexhius.

Perhaps it is only Jexhius.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Netflix has a new download option and it includes most of its admittedly sparse anime collection... including Sword Art Online! We did it Cornito! Kirito on the go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom