• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parasyte disappointed quickly after a few opening episodes that had me quite stoked.

But comparing it to Tokyo Ghoul is a bit harsh when the latter was unwatchable from episode 1.

---

Strong Eupho episode today. Is that Yamada's work? Legs and all...

Joukamachi no Dandelion Ep 9-12

I think it ended well enough and would recommend to people who want
to watch siblings interact with some comedy and light romance.

Clov

Strange how Watanabe hasn't directed anything of note since Kids on the Slope. I mean, there's Space Dandy, but that's more of an anthology project than his work in my eyes. Maybe he'll end up doing something with Mappa again at some point.

duckroll

Strange how Watanabe hasn't directed anything of note since Kids on the Slope. I mean, there's Space Dandy, but that's more of an anthology project than his work in my eyes. Maybe he'll end up doing something with Mappa again at some point.

Who's Watanabe?

I don't know how hyperbolic all this Tokyo Ghoul hate is and I don't really care, but I found S1 pretty great and S2 decent, for an overall pretty entertaining package. Of course the manga is 100 times better tho.

Also Kaneki was pretty good looking.

TL;DR

Tokyo Ghoul was cool and edgy and I liked it.

Aki-at

Parasyte had a strong opening and then just sort of fell apart with a cheap resolution at the end. Seems like the creator just stopped caring by then.

Girlish Number - 8

mXPSVGO.png
3eyBDip.png

They did what needed to be done, take him out back and put him out of misery.

Another solid show exploring the characters with some great comedic moments thrown in, the fan service moment from the preview last episode was all too brilliant. I should feel bad for Chitose but... I just feel bad for her brother instead haha.

I mean, Yuu-chan broke up with her boyfriend in the manga, and they did make that joke in the OVA that this would have to happen to get season 2.

I just want to see Tomoko get beaten up by Yoshida, is that too much to ask for?

But seriously I'm fine sticking to the manga, just found the series picks up a hell of a lot more from where the anime finishes since it keeps interesting several new characters.

Don't even Tokyo Ghoulies hate the second season?
I read the manga afterwards and that's probably why I still like it.
Of course you did. I'm sure you love Deadman Wonderland too.

I've been meaning to try it, I mean it looks really cool, but I heard things about an non-ending and I ain't sure.

Probably will try the manga, since I loved his other title LIVINGSTONE a lot.
If GoldCrusader watched Eureka Seven, he'd probably enjoy AO.
I did watch E7, but I did not watch AO yet.

So what you're saying is it's the anime equivalent of Dune.

I have absolutely no Idea what Dune is and a quick search on wikipedia did not really help.

Have you tried Blast of Tempest? You'll probably really dig it too. It's cool and edgy, and there are badass quotes from Hamlet and Tempest throughout!

Aldnoah Zero Season 2. Season 2!!!!
It is something that interest me a lot since it does look cool, but I did not have the time to watch it yet.

Line_HTX

So Toonami had a poll the other day asking what would fans want in the lineup, and one of the choices was Tokyo Ghoul. I have no idea what that show is like or how it'd got their attention since the other choices were Lupin, Mob Psycho 100, or something else.

What's Tokyo Ghoul like?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Girlish Number 8:

It's so sad. Momoka's practically begging to be scolded for being irresponsible and her mom won't give her that much. This is neglect on a completely different level.

So Toonami had a poll the other day asking what would fans want in the lineup, and one of the choices was Tokyo Ghoul. I have no idea what that show is like or how it'd got their attention since the other choices were Lupin, Mob Psycho 100, or something else.

What's Tokyo Ghoul like?
It's a pretty cool, horror-ish action seinen. It's entertaining and worth a watch.

Death Billiards, Little Witch Academia, Dragon Dentist.

Hope Patlabor Reboot is the next anime short project to get a TV extension!

A producer did say a new Patlabor project is going to happen next year...

Strong Eupho episode today. Is that Yamada's work? Legs and all...

No, it's Taichi Ishidate. Everyone's using legs with Yamada still overseeing storyboards on this season.

I don't know how hyperbolic all this Tokyo Ghoul hate is and I don't really care, but I found S1 pretty great and S2 decent, for an overall pretty entertaining package. Of course the manga is 100 times better tho.

Also Kaneki was pretty good looking.

TL;DR

Tokyo Ghoul was cool and edgy and I liked it.

s2 was better than s1.

Also
ill still believe Hide is only napping, i creyed

Parasyte's 2nd half wasn't great, but comparing it to Tokyo Ghoul or Terror in Resonance is just cruel.

For me it really only drops off in the last couple episodes when it gets super preachy and does that lame flash forward.

I've been meaning to try it, I mean it looks really cool, but I heard things about an non-ending and I ain't sure.

Probably will try the manga, since I loved his other title LIVINGSTONE a lot.
The anime is okay, imo, and I prefer it to Tokyo Ghoul, which I didn't like at all. The manga is probably the way to go though if a non-ending is going to bother you.

ywU1OTB.jpg

So I just finished reading the first Occultic;Nine light novel on J-Novel Club.

The novel has much better pacing and development. I had a better feel for the characters and the overall setting, as they actually spent time with just about everyone. The 9 characters don't all get equal attention (Kiryu is mostly ignored, and Yuta still takes up a majority of the attention), but it's still more manageable than what the first episode presented. I actually care a lot more about the characters now that they've all had some development and actual introductions. The timeline of events is actually coherent, rather than a mess of scenes strung together. There's actually a lot more intrigue and other mysterious things going on that make you care about the story and what happens next. They explain or at least hint at why characters gravitate toward each other, and what motivates them.

After episode 4, I fell behind with the anime, so I decided to start from the beginning again. Rewatching the first episode after reading LN1, it's more bearable, as I actually have a feel for the characters from the novel, but it's still a mess. The first episode is basically the rushed cliffs notes version of the first novel. Some of the first novel spills into episode 2 and even a bit of 3, but they basically rushed through everything to get to new content. They should've just split the episode up to make it more coherent and take the time to introduce and make the characters more interesting from the start.

For the anime, I do still like the characters and elements of the plot, and I hope this turns out well. Even more so now after reading the novel. But I think it has a very weak intro. I heard things get really good around episode 6, so hopefully they can finish strong.

Kinda sad that the novels are stuck in limbo (likely cancelled) as I currently prefer reading the series.

ywU1OTB.jpg

So I just finished reading the first Occultic;Nine light novel on J-Novel Club.

The novel has much better pacing and development. I had a better feel for the characters and the overall setting, as they actually spent time with just about everyone. The 9 characters don't all get equal attention (Kiryu is mostly ignored, and Yuta still takes up a majority of the attention), but it's still more manageable than what the first episode presented. I actually care a lot more about the characters now that they've all had some development and actual introductions. The timeline of events is actually coherent, rather than a mess of scenes strung together. There's actually a lot more intrigue and other mysterious things going on that make you care about the story and what happens next. They explain or at least hint at why characters gravitate toward each other, and what motivates them.

After episode 4, I fell behind with the anime, so I decided to start from the beginning again. Rewatching the first episode after reading LN1, it's more bearable, as I actually have a feel for the characters from the novel, but it's still a mess. The first episode is basically the rushed cliffs notes version of the first novel. Some of the first novel spills into episode 2 and even a bit of 3, but they basically rushed through everything to get to new content. They should've just split the episode up to make it more coherent and take the time to introduce and make the characters more interesting from the start.

For the anime, I do still like the characters and elements of the plot, and I hope this turns out well. Even more so now after reading the novel. But I think it has a very weak intro. I heard things get really good around episode 6, so hopefully they can finish strong.

Kinda sad that the novels are stuck in limbo (likely cancelled) as I currently prefer reading the series.

dont forget to support our LN thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035976

Toonami (from my understanding anyway) has always been the late-night equivalent of a Saturday-morning cartoon station. They're always gonna have shows that have a general sense of mainstream cartoonish excitement to them.

You're not gonna see shows like Rakugo or Euphonium ever show up there.

Toonami (from my understanding anyway) has always been the late-night equivalent of a Saturday-morning cartoon station. They're always gonna have shows that have a general sense of mainstream cartoonish excitement to them.

Definitely not yeah. I think it's already a tad remarkable you're getting at least pseudo Seinen titles. That's a big step from straight shonen when I was a kid.

???

Jojo and Hunter X Hunter are airing right now, and they had previously aired Gurren Lagann two years ago.

Oh yeah, Jojo did start up, didn't it? That's something, at least once it reaches Battle Tendency.

Ha ha, I'm not expecting mature character dramas on Toonami. I watched the block back in the days of Sailor Moon and DBZ; I know what it's identified with. It's just that when I hear about a new show picked up for Toonami, it tends to be mediocre shows such as Parasyte, Dimension W, and IBO, not the higher-quality shows that would be appropriate for the block such as Garo the Animation.

KraytarJ

Girlish Number 8
Kazuha's storyline coming to an end in a pretty interesting way, plus Momoka's continuing descent into madness hoping her parents won't just affably agree to anything she says is still pretty cool. Also bonus points for Chitose still getting that title but doing fuck all the entire episode, and the bait and switch was cool (even confused me at first but it was very well done).

Sound Euphonium 9
I feel like I'm one of the only people who's loved this show all season and this was probably one of the better episodes this season with Asuka starting to peel back her layers and reveal her motivations for what she's done this season and as I've been realizing I basically have to like Asuka because she just ticks way too many boxes of traits that I like in my characters. Also the scene where Kumiko and Reina return the key to Taki kinda got to me. Seeing Reina that off-balance and Kumiko react as bewildered as she did was pretty great.

Ha ha, I'm not expecting mature character dramas on Toonami. I watched the block back in the days of Sailor Moon and DBZ; I know what it's identified with. It's just that when I hear about a new show picked up for Toonami, it tends to be mediocre shows such as Parasyte, Dimension W, and IBO, not the higher-quality shows that would be appropriate for the block such as Garo the Animation.

I know you really like Garo, but I wouldn't classify it has such a high quality show and not that much better then, let's say, what's currently playing on Toonami. The first half is slow, episodic and has pretty bad production value. Of course it does get better in the later part, but I wouldn't call it high quality since the story is still shaky. I would consider it good but not more.

duckroll

I know you really like Garo, but I wouldn't classify it has such a high quality show and not that much better then, let's say, what's currently playing on Toonami. The first half is slow, episodic and has pretty bad production value. Of course it does get better in the later part, but I wouldn't call it high quality since the story is still shaky. I would consider it good but not more.

Yes, Garo is certainly no Tokyo Ghoul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom