• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Did anyone else here watch Fafner on original broadcast in 2004? I just find the idea of going back into Heaven and Earth when I barely remember who any of the characters are (particularly as they all have Hiraiface) let alone any of the plot so utterly daunting... it's been over ten years at this point - and I felt exactly the same when I tried to watch Heaven and Earth when it first came out!

duckroll

The only cure is to watch Fafner again, and then Right of Left, and then Heaven and Earth, and then Exodus. It sounds painful, and it is, but it's all worth it at the end.

I finished Fafner Exodus. It was so good I don't know what to say. I want to write something substantial about it, but I'm too overwhelmed by how it managed to end without tripping and falling on its face at the finish line because things got so messy. Somehow it managed to move everything into place regardless, and the ending was really satisfying.
It really is always fun watching posts of a new Fafner watcher going from "this is so bad, does it actually get better?" to stuff like this.

Now you can join us in pushing people to endure past the original.

JimPanzer

any recommendations for anime with such an amazing portrayal of nature as Mushi-Shi? I'm currently watching Natsume Yuujinchou, but while I like it, it's not quite the same.

Did anyone else here watch Fafner on original broadcast in 2004? I just find the idea of going back into Heaven and Earth when I barely remember who any of the characters are (particularly as they all have Hiraiface) let alone any of the plot so utterly daunting... it's been over ten years at this point - and I felt exactly the same when I tried to watch Heaven and Earth when it first came out!

I didnt watch it then But I did watch it in 2011 was it? I should rewatch.

TO BE HERO 09

fEs7Vdo.jpg

YOSHIKAGE KIRA'S FOURTH BOMB

any recommendations for anime with such an amazing portrayal of nature as Mushi-Shi? I'm currently watching Natsume Yuujinchou, but while I like it, it's not quite the same.

Perhaps Mononoke?

Cornbread78

Engaged to the Unidentified ep.6
4Vvk9fT.png

Another show I let go for a long time that I need to clear off my list. This was the Valentines day episode full of misunderstanding angst and fun. Not much has changed since I watched the show last, but I got some good laughs out of this at least.

Cheating Craft Episode 9 “Grand Adventure! Did Jun and Mary Discover the Legendary Ancient Golden Civilization in the Jungle?!”
CyiD3iLXAAgj1XI.jpg:small

Epic battle in the skies with a glorious otp conclusion. If only we had more of the lines throughout the episode.

MSMrRound

Sound! Euphonium S2 episode 9

TITLE DROP!

Good episode.

It's nice to see a different side to Asuka and I like that the majority of the episode basically went like "hey, let's get Kumiko to do it cuz she can counter Asuka", only to see Asuka counter-countering Kumiko BEFORE Kumiko counter-counter-countered Asuka and slipped past her guard.

Great stuff.

That episode title too. I mentioned Tomoyo Kurosawa teasing about it to us during her stage event on Sunday but didn't know it was taking place so fast. Still need at least one more week to see if we will get some way to settle Asuka's situation.

Seems like Reina caught a glimpse of the truth and her brain can't really process it at the moment. Dun dun dun. More trouble brewing up?

Jex

I finished Fafner Exodus. It was so good I don't know what to say. I want to write something substantial about it, but I'm too overwhelmed by how it managed to end without tripping and falling on its face at the finish line because things got so messy. Somehow it managed to move everything into place regardless, and the ending was really satisfying.

Now you face the hardest Fafner trial of all: recommending it to your friends, and helping them through the first season!

Euphonium S2 09

Episode was back on point direction wise imo with the strong body language stuff you'd expect from this show.

I enjoyed the meeting between Asuka and Kumiko and it went about as I expected.

Yuri on Ice 09

I don't think I could ever watch this if it wasn't airing weekly. I swear the last 4-5 episodes have all felt the same, with some extra stuff at the beginning and end. This show is 80% skating and 20% characters and it should be the opposite.

Yuri on Ice 9

Yurio's performance was amazing, you could feel his emotions during the whole thing. I really think this episode benefited a lot to his character. He became more likeable and he earned a lot of respect from me.

Also he's always super cute/sweet when he's with his grandpa.

Funi dub cast -

GOKU Seán Schemmel
VEGETA Christopher R. Sabat
BEERUS Jason Douglas
WHIS Ian Sinclair
KRILLIN Sonny Strait
GOHAN Kyle Hebert
BULMA Monica Rial
PICCOLO Christopher R. Sabat
TRUNKS Alexis Tipton
NARRATOR Doc Morgan
GOTEN Kara Edwards
CHI-CHI Cynthia Cranz
A18 Meredith McCoy
MR. SATAN Chris Rager
BUU Josh Martin
KING KAI Seán Schemmel
SHENRON Christopher R. Sabat
VIDEL Kara Edwards
YAMCHA Christopher R. Sabat
TIEN John Burgmeier
SHOU Chris Cason
ROSHI Mike McFarland
PUAR Brina Palencia
PILAF Chuck Huber
OX-KING Kyle Hebert
OOLONG Brad Jackson
MARRON Tia Ballard
KIBITO KAI Kent Williams
ELDER KAI Kent Williams
DENDE Justin Cook
CHIAOTZU Brina Palencia
MAI Colleen Clinkenbear

Not a lot of surprises there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like you people don't even watch the winter olympics exclusively for figure skating.

Jex

[Yuri on Ice] - 9

The editing in this episode is hideous. Whoever decided to splice the incest skaters scenes during the Czech skaters sequence? Those two scenes have almost nothing to do with each other. Such weird editing.

Yurio's character development has felt more interesting across the course of the series than the protaganists, and this trend it continues here. His struggles, his successes, his failures, his actually new skating sequence, are all far more engaging than Yuri's worn-out shtick. Oh, Yuri's having a hard time again? Fascinating.

Although both Yuri and Yurio seem to have about the same amount of lines this episode as the incest skaters for reasons that I cannot fathom. This show really likes to spend a surprisingly large amount of runtime dedicated to side characters that I'd generously describe as 'shallow'.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 9:

Well done Eupho, I have not laughed that hard and for that long in quite some time. Oh right, they were being serious with that bombshell. God damn, this has been a terrible season and it continues to be a terrible season. Oh, also, hi unwanted yuribaiting and hot for teacher storyline, you were not missed. I will say the earnest conversation at the end was nice though, just Askua and Kumiko bonding over Euphounim.

jgminto

Yuri on Ice 9
Delete the first two performances from this episode and it would have been much, much better. The development of Yurio this episode was smart and compelling and while Yuri's character moments weren't particularly compelling, if the episode wasn't bogged down with incest siblings and overly long and uninteresting performances(aside from Yurio's), it would have been a compelling episode.

jonjonaug

Although both Yuri and Yurio seem to have about the same amount of lines this episode as the incest skaters for reasons that I cannot fathom. This show really likes to spend a surprisingly large amount of runtime dedicated to side characters that I'd generously describe as 'shallow'.

The main theme of the show, if anything, is "love, and how it can be expressed". The show examines this not just from the perspective of Yuri and Victor's relationship, but from the relationships of everyone involved. Phichit's skating is inspired/motivated by love for his country, JJ's by himself, Yurio's by his grandfather, Georgi's by longing for his ex, Minami out of being inspired by Yuri, and so on. It's incredibly important that the show spend time on the other skaters' motivations because otherwise we wouldn't get any different slices on the main themes of the show outside of Yuri and Victor's relationship, and that would just be a poorly put together show.

There is some filler, but these are the characters that don't matter so much or don't relate to the central themes. In this episode, that would be Emil and Seung Gil. But even then these two characters are used in interesting ways, with Emil's small failures during his program helping Michele to regain his confidence, and Seung Gil being shattered by the strong performances of the skaters coming before him then being used to illustrate how far Yuri's come because he did the same thing Yuri would have in the previous year because he doesn't have anything to "love" like Yuri does. It's a great skate to compare for later in the episode where Yuri still has some trouble, but doesn't completely self-destruct like he would have in the past.

I just think anyone saying that the side skaters are "bogging down" the show aren't really appreciating how good the show is at building its central themes. The direction and editing might be taking a hit from squeezing in so many performances but I don't really care as long as the show is still interesting and entertaining, which it very much is. Despite some shortcomings with the animation lately I'd still put this in my top three shows of the year.

Taruranto

Yuri on Ice #9

Preorders dropping a little...

OK, never-mind, false alarm.

Much better than the previous episode, though they really went there with the twins. Before this episode you could sorta hand-wave as your typical protective big brother you see in Japanese media, but there is no way to read other than creepy romantic obsession from Michele's side. Kinda awkward for this kind of anime, but oh well. At least I don't think they went full Cersei and Jaime.

JJ sequence was incredibly disappointing after the previous episode, it didn't help that he got the worst animations of the bunch. Much better for Yurio on other hand, I didn't like him much the previous episode, but this time he felt a more rounded character. It also the first time his sequences didn't look awful.

Korea (Sanguil? Sangil?) really got shat on though.

Next episode looks really fun. It's mostly returning characters so we episode 8 situation shouldn't happen again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 9:

At long last we are done with the qualifiers and are moving on to the real Main Event here.

Sterok

Girlish Number 8

Everything with Towada and Kazuha's manager trying to rein in Kuzu was amazing. Especially when they were openly discussing deposing Kuzu... in front of Kuzu. I really wish we got more focus on the managers, cause they're great. Kazuha and Momoka get their character development. Twas nice. One wants less to do with her parents, one wants more? I still don't quite get Momoka's situation. Ah whatever. She's still a better heroine than the worthless main protagonist.

Jarmel

Banned
I just wanted to take a moment and point out how good the background art and digital photography generally looks in upcoming Bang Dream.
It's idolshit so I don't have much interest in watching (not to mention CG performance idolshit). However, good lord.
At least the scenery looks nice.

Qurupeke

I just wanted to take a moment and point out how good the background art and digital photography generally looks in upcoming Bang Dream.

It's idolshit so I don't have much interest in watching (not to mention CG performance idolshit). However, good lord.

At least the scenery looks nice.

Bang Dream and idols, eh? I guess it really looks good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom