• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you really like Garo, but I wouldn't classify it has such a high quality show and not that much better then, let's say, what's currently playing on Toonami. The first half is slow, episodic and has pretty bad production value. Of course it does get better in the later part, but I wouldn't call it high quality since the story is still shaky. I would consider it good but not more.

I agree, Garo was good, quite good in places, but I don't think it's in any tier above IBO or parasyte. I can't think of anything I'd consider stupidly good action anime that I think would outclass any of these other shows for Toonami To snag. At least not this late at night.

If only G-Reco had been dubbed it could have saved Toonami.

Save it by burning it all down?

Best fave five worst anime i'm thinking about at this moment, Sword Art Online disqualified since it's far too bad to be put on this list of best bad anime.

Aldnoah Zero - worse than testicular cancer

Eureka 7 - every character was an unlikeable piece of shit, who recommended this shit to me

Hyouka - oh how prett- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Digimon S2 - what's the dark ocean, what's the deal with Daemon? my childhood needs these answers you idiots

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers - loved this show, but there won't be a second season, so fuck this show, should've never watch it.

Yes, Garo is certainly no Tokyo Ghoul.
I did not call Garo bad, I said it was good, just not high-quality. I think I stayed respectful.

Also I did enjoy TG more then Garo, but I also liked Garo, it has one of the best sword fight imo.

If only G-Reco had been dubbed it could have saved Toonami.
Maybe it would've made the story easier to understand, but much more then that heeeeh.

Best fave five worst anime i'm thinking about at this moment, Sword Art Online disqualified since it's far too bad to be put on this list of best bad anime.

Aldnoah Zero - worse than testicular cancer

Eureka 7 - every character was an unlikeable piece of shit, who recommended this shit to me

Hyouka - oh how prett- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Digimon S2 - what's the dark ocean, what's the deal with Daemon? my childhood needs these answers you idiots

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers - loved this show, but there won't be a second season, so fuck this show, should've never watch it.

triggered.

I agree, Garo was good, quite good in places, but I don't think it's in any tier above IBO or parasyte. I can't think of anything I'd consider stupidly good action anime that I think would outclass any of these other shows for Toonami To snag. At least not this late at night.

If the best action anime can do is Parasyte, then anime should stop doing action.

So what's wrong with what I said?
If you did not mean ill then nvm, but your comment felt snarky for what I think was a fairly reasonable comment.

If the best action anime can do is Parasyte, then anime should stop doing action.

Don't be so over dramatic, he never said that. He just said Garo wasn't as good as you say.

My Hero Academia would make a good toonami show imo or Mob psycho too.

Moaradin

Garo is good, great even sometimes. But I would still put shows like HxH, JoJo, and OPM above it. So Toonami is doing fine by me.

If you did mean ill then nvm, but your comment felt snarky for what I think was a fairly reasonable comment.

Don't be so over dramatic, he never said that. He just said Garo wasn't as good as you say.

Thanks, Senpai :p

Yeah I mean I liked Garo a lot. enough so that crimson moon hurt as a follow up.

JulianImp

UFO - #9

ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ〜

I'm liking where this is going with Asuka, and really appreciate that the show hasn't relied on hammy situations with her mom again so far. You could tell she had always been doing everything for her own selfish goals, and now we know she's just putting up with the whole band thing because that's the one way she's found to bond with the father that was out of her life for as long as she could remember.

The fact that almost everything she says is nothing more than lip service is something I really appreciate in her, because her character as a whole is really complex and the show's doing a decent job of exposing her real self slowly but surely. The experience of wearing a mask for the sake of social interaction, and the struggle that comes from trying to show you give a damn about people and things you actually don't is something I can really relate to, which is the main reason why I care so much about seeing a character like hers playing an important role here. It's also nice that the catharthic moments so far are coming from the way she's legitimately bonding with Kumiko, as opposed to having her pushed into a corner where she'd be forced to enact some big dramatic scene.

And since I also watched this...

Girlish Number - #8
Having an episode without Chitose in it was kind of like a breath of fresh air for me, and the way they took the time to develop her two sempais was nice and felt worth the time investment. Keeping Kuzu out of the way for most of the episode was also good, because so far he feels like a one-trick pony, much like Chitose (sadly).

Still, what's with the abuse of chromatic aberration in most background-only shots? I feel like those artifacts acually make things look worse than they should, rather than making them more eye-catching or anything.

KraytarJ

Aldnoah Zero is like an anime that was made by people who didn't know what they wanted to do with the show and they never really figured it out and it was just garbage the whole way through. Probably the only anime I've hate watched the entire way through and of course it ended with Idaho winning to just top of the shit sundae.

I still hope Madoka Magica finds its way onto Toonami someday.

Live Madoka reactions from ToonamiGAF would be incredible.

I don't know that the casual audience would be willing to stick with Madoka for three weeks until getting to that moment. And a lot of viewers would probably be immediately turned off by the art style/"it's a girl show". Toonami is incredibly risk averse in general.

I feel like anyone watching anime and posting on Neogaf can't be innocent when it comes to a show like that. They know what the jig is. Then again I never cared for the reaction post culture in this thread either when it came to things like School Days because I rarely believed that they were genuine.

I was responding to the sentence "I can't think of anything I'd consider stupidly good action anime that I think would outclass any of these other shows for Toonami To snag." there.

I think if you're going to go this route you need to offer more than 1 title as a suggestion for what action anime they should be licensing.

I'll agree that it's difficult, because the audience Toonami is aiming for and the licensing restrictions they have to work with heavily restrict the number of quality anime they can go for. But if I had no licensing restrictions and could be a little adventurous without going outside the bounds of "action" that is the Toonami brand, I would make a block with anime such as the following:

Fate/Zero
Gundam Build Fighters
Haikyuu (sports might be a tough sell, but it's still a kind of action and Haikyuu in particularly would likely be one of the most accessible sports anime for the Toonami audience)
Majin Bone
Mob Psycho 100 (this at least will probably get on Toonami eventually)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (this will likely never come because negotiations for it have already failed sadly)
Yona of the Dawn
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta (if Toonami could air KLK, they shouldn't have any problem with the lewd aspects of this)

While some of the Toonami audience might have issues with pre-HD anime, I'd still also ideally like to put older action-oriented shows such as Dirty Pair or Hunter X Hunter 1999 up to remind people that there was anime before 2007 other than Cowboy Bebop.

Of course, I know my idea of quality anime does differ from that of the average Toonami viewer, so if I was put in charge of the block I'd probably run viewership into the ground. Oh well!

Moaradin

I was responding to the sentence "I can't think of anything I'd consider stupidly good action anime that I think would outclass any of these other shows for Toonami To snag." there.

I'll agree that it's difficult, because the audience Toonami is aiming for and the licensing restrictions they have to work with heavily restrict the number of quality anime they can go for. But if I had no licensing restrictions and could be a little adventurous without going outside the bounds of "action" that is the Toonami brand, I would make a block with anime such as the following:

Fate/Zero
Gundam Build Fighters
Haikyuu (sports might be a tough sell, but it's still a kind of action and Haikyuu in particularly would likely be one of the most accessible sports anime for the Toonami audience)
Majin Bone
Mob Psycho 100 (this at least will probably get on Toonami eventually)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (this will likely never come because negotiations for it have already failed sadly)
Yona of the Dawn
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta (if Toonami could air KLK, they shouldn't have any problem with the lewd aspects of this)

While some of the Toonami audience might have issues with pre-HD anime, I'd still also ideally like to put older action-oriented shows such as Dirty Pair or Hunter X Hunter 1999 up to remind people that there was anime before 2007 other than Cowboy Bebop.

Of course, I know my idea of quality anime does differ from that of the average Toonami viewer, so if I was put in charge of the block I'd probably run viewership into the ground. Oh well!

half of those shows would need to get dubbed first

I don't know that the casual audience would be willing to stick with Madoka for three weeks until getting to that moment. And a lot of viewers would probably be immediately turned off by the art style/"it's a girl show". Toonami is incredibly risk averse in general.

I agree that the art style and girly nature of the show may be a turn-off for most casual viewers, but I wonder if the show's mega popularity in the west would be able to mitigate that somewhat.

It's not like the show is 100% K-ON!-esque fluff until that moment though. There's still a good amount of action and a general creepy atmosphere that could keep viewers drawn in. Especially with the opening scene.

I feel like anyone watching anime and posting on Neogaf can't be innocent when it comes to a show like that. They know what the jig is. Then again I never cared for the reaction post culture in this thread either when it came to things like School Days because I rarely believed that they were genuine.

ToonamiGAF is generally good at keeping the spoilers/hints to a minimum (I'm always seeing someone post a little card or something that features a character from the upcoming show telling them not to do that, it's kinda cute).

Reaction post culture has worn out its welcome a while ago, yeah. It's a lot different though when it comes to group reactions though. I'll never forget that time when Twitch aired most of the Pokemon movies in a single night.

The chat. Oh my goodness the chat. It was the best.

jonjonaug

Madoka's dub is pretty bad though outside of a few choice scenes and lines (none of which are in episodes 10-12), might not get the reaction you're hoping for.

Sure, but I believe a lot of the anime that airs on Toonami gets their first English dub for that timeslot.

Majin Bone would never get a proper English dub lol.

It'd end up as Netflix Original butchered dub a la Glitter Force.

Now I'm mad again that that's how most people saw Smile Precure and missed out on all the legit good eps it had.

Eh, we've had bad dubs on Toonami.

The last episode of Parasyte had dub Shinichi falling asleep while talking about the nature of mankind.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia would make a good toonami show imo or Mob psycho too.

As much as people seem to want MHA on Toonami it seems to be on the low priory shelf for them. Mob Psycho 100 is currently the most requested program to come to Toonami and for the record number 3 is Lupin The 3rd Part 4.

Totakeke

Google Now is lying to me isn't it.

FOEfKF0.png

Quasar

Look at that, my favourite healing anime, Tamayura is finally getting on Crunchyroll. Too bad its SD only and with ugly as fuck subs.

But hey at least now some more people get to watch I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom