• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Flip Flappers has a pretty wide gulf between what the show is trying to sell me and what I'm taking away from it. Yeah, Cocona life was portrayed as dull and boring, but I never felt that it was so bad that she would go on potentially deadly adventures just because they're fun. Her friendship/attraction to Papika just never felt believable. The bumps in the road that are supposed to be the growth don't matter when the foundation of the relationship doesn't work.

Szadek

Any season that has 4 magical girl shows for me to shit on (even if I only watched two of them, did anyone watch Matoi?) is by definition a good season in my book. Gundam still being good while Girlish Number is a surprise hit cements this as a surprisingly strong season.

I've read Masamune-kun's Revenge. It was okay I guess, but not something that's particularly good or will build up any real fanbase.
I'm still watching Matoi (it's alright), but I don't think anyone else her does.

PK Gaming

I think Flip Flappers has a pretty wide gulf between what the show is trying to sell me and what I'm taking away from it. Yeah, Cocona life was portrayed as dull and boring, but I never felt that it was so bad that she would go on potentially deadly adventures just because they're fun. Her friendship/attraction to Papika just never felt believable. The bumps in the road that are supposed to be the growth don't matter when the foundation of the relationship doesn't work.

The show really has this cartoon vibe that makes it easier to forgive that sort of thing.

I don't think it's trying to tell a story that's 100% grounded in reality.

Line_HTX

As much as people were hyping up this season, I think it's rather disappointing.
Winter is still the worst season, since Rakugo was the only show worth watching that, but the other 2 were much better.

This season was alright. I think this is the first season where there were a lot of gay themed shows, if not just undertones.

Cornbread78

You'd probably got your ass handed to you by the powers that be.

I can already feel the pain:

4MVcAKM.gif

Not me, I can't live without my waifu avatars.

Lol.

pbayne

lol anyone else remember the end of episode 1 where they get kidnapped by the KKK robots? Then they show up next episode as if nothing happened. There is an implied time lapse but i keep thinking wtf happened in that time?

Really? I think that's the show best asset so far. From them physically growing closer to one another going from Cocona literally pushing her away in episode 1 to sharing a bed with her in 5, to exploring whether she had romantic feelings for Papika or to both of them sharing their wishes with one another, it's been the most organic thing in the show to me. The whole show seems to have designed around their relationship so far, apart from one or two brief asides.

Shergal

lol anyone else remember the end of episode 1 where they get kidnapped by the KKK robots? Then they show up next episode as if nothing happened. There is an implied time lapse but i keep thinking wtf happened in that time?

Probably the point at which they implanted some sort of tracking device in Cocona's arm. It's sore during episode 2 and there's an emphasis on Yayaka grabbing that exact spot during their talk; now that it's confirmed the evil dudes purposefully go into the same worlds Cocona and Papika wind up at (was obvious for a while but implicit), that's the most plausible explanation that wouldn't need them to add anything else.

Cornbread78

I think the issue will be points. I do think Erased will get more votes, just that you'll probably it in the 6-10 range whereas the fewer Rakugo voters will rank it much higher (1-3 probably).

Definately will be interesting to see. Lets bevreal though, they are both fighting for third behind Mob and Jo Jo, lol.

Quasar

Definately will be interesting to see. Lets bevreal though, they are both fighting for third behind Mob and Jo Jo, lol.

I'm not even sure I know what Mob is let alone watched it.

Just goes to show how much of an outlier I am. That said I kind of thought given the amount of chatter that Re:Zero would be up there, though again not anywhere on any list I'd make given I dropped at after cour 1. I much preferred Konosuba.

Qurupeke

I don't know about this one, while it was awesome and well received in the animegaf community, did it get THAT popular outside of it? I don't think so.

The OT was actually pretty active and very positive about Mob, and there were many people that you never see on AnimeGAF. It certainly isn't as popular as something like One Punch Man, but I'm sure that quite a lot of people will vote for it and I'd be really surprised if it didn't rank high on AOTY.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ood-wars-event-anime-get-dvd-releases/.109366

I was kind of hoping we would get to see them sooner through CR or something but alas! April 4th for MHA's ova and May 2nd for Black Clover's ova seems soooo far away :(

Wonder if Viz will sell a special edition of their own or, since funimation has the anime's right, it would stop them.

Did funi ever put the Assassination Classroom one on their release? Im still mad sentai didnt do it for Haikyuu.

Did funi ever put the Assassination Classroom one on their release? Im still mad sentai didnt do it for Haikyuu.
Not to my knowledge, and yea I wish sentai would treat Haikyu better...
The OT was actually pretty active and very positive about Mob, and there were many people that you never see on AnimeGAF. It certainly isn't as popular as something like One Punch Man, but I'm sure that quite a lot of people will vote for it and I'd be really surprised if it didn't rank high on AOTY.
Oh I was sure it would rank in the AOTY rankings, but just not top 3 sure like cornbread said. Maybe near the the 5th spot?

Funimation just announced the Noragami Aragoto Limited edition and it looks pretty nice.

The Limited Edition will come with a matte metallic silver ink box: Included in this will be 2 DVDs and 2 Blu-rays secured in clear cases to protect the discs, as well as a special soft envelope with a set of 14 stunning art cards, 3 of them with watercolor styled art, that’ll appease even the scariest of gods

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ok&utm_content=preorder-blog&utm_nooverride=1

Just an update on the Netflix/Ajin thing I posted about before. I've compared both Japanese and Netflix copies and it's thankfully just Episode 4 that's the problem (Cut a cold open from their copy.) If you're interested in letting Netflix know and making sure this doesn't happen with Season 2 coming in just a few weeks you can report it through Netflix's account system. Just go to your profile setting, hit viewing activity and click "Report a Problem." I imagine the more reports the faster it'll get on their radar.

Also, I hate doing this, but if you want to know what I'm talking about I wrote a post on my website about it here: http://www.allyouranime.net/ajin-an...de-4-or-how-netflixs-copy-is-missing-footage/

Cornbread78

Yeah, I'm going by the "cashul" audience attention, lol.

Oh I was sure it would rank in the AOTY rankings, but just not top 3 sure like cornbread said. Maybe near the the 5th spot?

What do you think will be ahead of it, Re:Zero, JoJo, Rakugo...?

Yeah, I'm going by the "cashul" audience attention, lol.

What do you think will be ahead of it, Re:Zero, JoJo, Rakugo...?

that's my opinion of course, but I thought that stuff like Erased, Kizaiver, JoJo, Re:Zero and maybe Haikyu would kind of beat it with the more casuals. Maybe My Hero Academia too but I'm not sure. Also I did not follow impressions of Rakugo, so I can't really judge it.

Yuri on Ice is also something that I think could beat it if it stays with it's current momentum. But it's really hard to say. Since gaf's casuals and internet casuals aren't the same.

Cornbread78

that's my opinion of course, but I thought that stuff like Erased, Kizaiver, JoJo, Re:Zero and maybe Haikyu would kind of beat it with the more casuals. Maybe My Hero Academia too but I'm not sure. Also I did not follow impressions of Rakugo, so I can't really say.

True; can't rule MHA out either! Forgot what a huge following the MHA OT had!

Flip Flappers 04

At some point Cocona is going fight Yayaka and beat her because the power of her friendship with Paprika is stronger than her friendship with Yayaka even though she's only known Paprika for 5 minutes.
Flip Flappers 09

Ok so my prediction came mostly true. Yayaka won but lost because she didn't have the killer instinct to disfigure Cocona and steal her power stone but instead loses because the twins defeat her. Gotta say the fights were pretty nice to look at but a lot of things that happened in this episode were pretty accurately predicted by practically everyone I've seen watching this show from GAF to Reddit and /a/.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't really buy that Cocona had a garbage boring life before she met Papika, when she already lived in a bright, colorful world with family and friends who care about her. The opening seconds of Sword Art Online did a better job at making me think the main character had a garbage boring life before his escapist fantasy adventures than Flip Flappers has done.

The thing of it is I am wondering how much we have been shown is a lie.

Crocodile

I don't know that the casual audience would be willing to stick with Madoka for three weeks until getting to that moment. And a lot of viewers would probably be immediately turned off by the art style/"it's a girl show". Toonami is incredibly risk averse in general.

To be fair, Toonami has to always live with the fact that Adult Swim would probably get better ratings if it just aired Family Guy for the 3.5 hours Toonami is on. Toonami is very much a passion/love project by the people behind it but it still has to play some service to ratings. If they choose shows that are likely to be ratings blackholes then that can only endanger the block. All that being said, I think most would agree that the past year has been among the strongest for acquisitions. If you are someone who can appreciate shonen/action anime you will certainly find stuff to complain about but I think you'll leave more satisfied than disappointed.

Aki-at

Your Name

Loved it but
wouldn't their day to day life alert them they were 3 years apart, I had to write the date in classroom when I was in secondary school! Even their mobiles would tell them!
Other than that it was a neatly tied up plot that had great range of emotions.

Great animations, loved how much was hand drawn but there was plenty of humour (And sometimes unintentional like all the
insert songs, joking how they were all season 1, 2 etc OPs, or when Mitshura said she's looking for the person who was inside of her... Maybe I've watched too much To Be Hero...
) the scenery from the clouds to the various explosions were such a sight to watch, one of my favourite films of the year, maybe even second (Shin Gojira Laser Beam Display still top) definitely understand the hype.

Cornbread78

Nanbaka ep.9
Hajime, you brilliant, mean, ruthless bastard. Way to get #15 back in action. Pretty meh episode; tge show is much better when it focuses on the cellmate interactions and hijinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom