• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

[Flip Flappers] - 9

File this entire episode under 'unearned emotional climaxes'.

The development of Cocona's relationship with Yayaka should have been stronger from the start, yeah.

I was joking earlier, but I really wish this anime was a 2 cour. They're going to smush a ton of content together in the coming episodes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Keijo!!!!!!!! Episode 9:

I am trying to figure out the exact combination of drugs used to conjure up some of the dialog for this show.

Flip Flap Flip Flap 09

Yeah...this show suffers the same problem as Yuri on Ice where the three main characters don't really get any development or earned moments but the show sure acts like they do.

The fights were awesome tho

Yuri On Ice Episode 9
CymtP_6XcAAgZGA.jpg:small
CymvppZXUAA2OQm.jpg:small

Bad writing at its finest at least he got a consolation prize
rarepair otp
[/SPOILER]. Yurio did well at least and had a very firey performance, hopefully he keeps it up, and also best outfit yet.

South Korea, like China, and USA deserved better.

Jex

Yeah. Despite my enjoyment of the episode, I did get an overall sense of "wait, we're here already?".

Let me summarise Flip Flappers 9 for everyone:

*In the room from The Dark Knight*

Papika: Feelings?
Cocona: Feelings
Yayaka: But My Feelings
All Together: FEELINGS

*cue cool but ultimately boring fight scene that we haven't been given enough reason to invest in emotionally*

[Flip Flappers] - 9

File this entire episode under 'unearned emotional climaxes'.

Seriously.

"If we just keep making these characters scream each other's name the audience will have to care eventually, right?"

The show also tries to make up for a lack of character development and story by putting up a few hints towards a mystery that won't be revealed until nearing the end. I loathe that crap.

pbayne

Flip Flap Flip Flap 09

Yeah...this show suffers the same problem as Yuri on Ice where the three main characters don't really get any development or earned moments but the show sure acts like they do.

The fights were awesome tho

Cocona's had plenty of development. Plus her relationship with Papika has been fantastically developed throughout(though it sort of reached its natural conclusion in episode 7).

Papika herself a little less so. i think that's deliberate as the show is keeping a reveal about her true nature close to its chest. Hopefully the payoff is worth it.

The biggest offender is definitely Yayaka though. It was really hard to feel for her lame, rushed backstory this week.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.34
fC7Eoux.jpg

What a tease, what a tease...... Poor Mayuri had a heart attack.... At some point in the series, they will share some love, I mean, there is 16 episodes left, lol.

ZuUixpu.jpg

Man, this was a fun battle. I can't find a picture of their battle forms, but all the character development for these two Guardians last episode, paid off this week as they too on the basura.

Let me summarise Flip Flappers 9 for everyone:
*In the room from The Dark Knight*
Papika: Feelings?
Cocona: Feelings
Yayaka: But My Feelings
All Together: FEELINGS
*cue cool but ultimately boring fight scene that we haven't been given enough reason to invest in emotionally*

But is it yuri? That's what gets the people going!

Shergal

Cocona is the only one who has been explored as a character; the show has generally been more about her rather than 'the duo' I'd say. The problem with this week is that we didn't know that Yayaka's plight actually was until they shoved in that flashback in the middle of the conflict, and even then it's not really a thorough exposition. We are left to accept the plot beats (which were seen coming since episode 3) but without much backing as for why it affected the characters so greatly

Flip - 09

Really? The thing you magically stopped being bothered by at the end of episode 2, that's what you bring up now?

zR0k0p5.gif

This fucking show. I can't even care much for the visuals when I'm served so much bullshit.

Jex

Cocona is the only one who has been explored as a character; the show has generally been more about her rather than 'the duo' I'd say. The problem with this week is that we didn't know that Yayaka's plight actually was until they shoved in that flashback in the middle of the conflict, and even then it's not really a thorough exposition. We are left to accept the plot beats (which were seen coming since episode 3) but without much backing as for why it affected the characters so greatly

Yes and that's because the show has decided that keeping certain character's histories and motivations (Yayaka, Papika) a mystery is more important than actually developing them (and by extension generating empathy of these characters with the audience). In general there has been lots of 'withholding' of story and character information until this final chunk of episodes. I don't think this is particularly good storytelling.

I don't even buy Cocona as a character. When naked spider lady in episode 3 started caressing her cheek and telling her how Cocona was really evil at heart and secretly hated Papika, I went "Huh?" I can kind of see what the writing was going for, but it doesn't feel like there's enough connection between the character beats to sell them.

PK Gaming

Flip - 09

Really? The thing you magically stopped being bothered by at the end of episode 2, that's what you bring up now?

zR0k0p5.gif

This fucking show. I can't even care much for the visuals when I'm served so much bullshit.

Hold up dawg

She didn't magically stop being bothered by her by the end of episode 2, it was just the moment where she started trying to accept to her. Emphasis on try, since their relationship has been pretty flip flappy since then (Episode 3 literally covered how she still had some resentment towards her). Like, they argue constantly.

She only brings it up again due to her unsatisfication with how Papika's been treating her lately. Petty, but also reasonable considering she's a middle schooler.

Quasar

Has anyone read the manga for Masamune-kun's Revenge, Fuuka and/or Scum's Wish? Thoughts? Should I temper my expectations?

On Fuuka it might depend in how you feel about the authors other work. I like it. It's basically a band drama. Teenagers forming and trying to grow a band. Plenty of teen relationship angst.

Just read a chapter of scums wish. A trashy high school relationship drama. Two popular kids (17 year olds) as a fake couple, one of which actually has a crush on her onii-chan whose a teacher at the school. Thankfully the onii-chan has a huge crush on a co-worker.

Going to guess it ends up with the fake couple actually liking each other like Nisekoi.

Naruto Shippuden Season 17, Episode 484 “Naruto Shippuden, Sasuke’s Story: Sunrise, Part 1: The Exploding Human”

CynU7BrXgAALqd8.jpg:small

After a multi week hiatus its back. Ino seemed to get an upgrade, and most of Naruto's peers had good attacks.

Sasuke focus is nice though he's so lonely. Fortunately we get his team back before coming back to Naruto's arms.
CynWQNHUsAA_aXk.jpg:small

Exploding jutsu is an intriguing jutsu.

Jex

I don't even buy Cocona as a character. When naked spider lady in episode 3 started caressing her cheek and telling her how Cocona was really evil at heart and secretly hated Papika, I went "Huh?" I can kind of see what the writing was going for, but it doesn't feel like there's enough connection between the character beats to sell them.

Speaking of problems with Cocona, I don't even buy that she would be on-board with going on these weird adventures. I really don't get her motivation for doing so, or what she's looking to achieve? She works for some vague low-budget organisation that has some vague goal that they're going to achieve somehow? Why would anyone be a part of that? Which all ties back into the wider problem of the show holding too many cards to its chest with regards to what is 'actually going on'.

pbayne

Speaking of problems with Cocona, I don't even buy that she would be on-board with going on these weird adventures. I really don't get her motivation for doing so, or what she's looking to achieve? She works for some vague low-budget organisation that has some vague goal that they're going to achieve somehow? Why would anyone be a part of that? Which all ties back into the wider problem of the show holding too many cards to its chest with regards to what is 'actually going on'.

She could still be swayed by Papika telling her that the fragments can grant wishes(Cocona's wish was to see her family again). Obviously Papika and Flip Flap could be bullshitting her with that though.

Plus she has been shown to have fun with Papika and actually likes going on the adventures.

Sterok

Flip Flappers 9

So they want us to feel for Papika and Yayaka without giving us a reason to understand their plights. So all we've got is the two of them fighting over Cocona, who isn't particularly compelling enough to get why those two have crushes on her. At least the twins got a bit of development? Fights were cool though, especially in the crystal.

PK Gaming

She could still be swayed by Papika telling her that the fragments can grant wishes(Cocona's wish was to see her family again). Obviously Papika and Flip Flap could be bullshitting her with that though.

That, and she has such a dreary, boring life

She's clearly longed for excitement and fulfillment in life

Hell, she's even admitted to finding these adventures fun

At the end of episode 2 we got the most simple minded "this was kinda fun, so let's keep risking our lives, woooohoooooo".

Hold up dawg

She didn't magically stop being bothered by her by the end of episode 2, it was just the moment where she started trying to accept to her. Emphasis on try, since their relationship has been pretty flip flappy since then (Episode 3 literally covered how she still had some resentment towards her). Like, they argue constantly.

She only brings it up again due to her unsatisfication with how Papika's been treating her lately. Petty, but also reasonable considering she's a middle schooler.

Well, it suddenly bothered so little, in total contrast to her characterization up to that point, that she now gladly wanted to participate in further, evidently deadly, pure illusion adventures. I say 'magically' because the justification was so damn poor that it may as well have been. A reminder: Cocona was deeply upset after the first adventure and almost died upon her second, yet, that one was somehow fun enough to make up for it. I can believe it. I the third rate magical girl show devoid of any logic sort of way.

kewlmyc

Has anyone read the manga for Masamune-kun's Revenge? Thoughts? Should I temper my expectations?

Temper your expectations. Plot goes nowhere slowly and the two main characters come off as somewhat unlikable, but not in a funny way like the Konosuba cast for example.

But, who knows, our tastes are different. You might like it. I'm not a big fan on romcoms that develop the main characters relationship at a snails pace.

Cornbread78

Temper your expectations. Plot goes nowhere slowly and the two main characters come off as somewhat unlikable, but not in a funny way like the Konosuba cast for example.

But, who knows, our tastes are different. You might like it. I'm not a big fan on romcoms that develop the main characters relationship at a snails pace.

On Fuuka it might depend in how you feel about the authors other work. I like it. It's basically a band drama. Teenagers forming and trying to grow a band. Plenty of teen relationship angst.

I've not read scums wish. Need to give it a whirl.

Been hoping for a new romcom to replace My Love Story for a long time, so hopefully, one of these delivers.

Shergal

I think the episode 3 thing was typical villain mindgames for flavor. It mattered more in terms of what Cocona took out of it ("you're empty, so you really wanted to have a role to play") rather than everything the plant girl said being true.

At the end of episode 2 we got the most simple minded "this was kinda fun, so let's keep risking our lives, woooohoooooo".
Cocona didn't need a reason to go adventuring in magical land. Her garbage boring life was enough motivation to go away and do anything that seemed good. And yeah, she was just following Papika most of the time because why not? She was probably the first person to show genuine interest in her in years. 6-8 was where she found a personal positive motivation to keep doing this, rather than merely going with the flow.

I'm not saying it's masterful characterization, but it's a decent enough framework to let the show develop naturally. I don't really mind Papika being a flat character either because it always comes back to Cocona (at least until now). This week they tried to focus on someone else and came across as unearned, when they could've easily expanded on the set-up at the end of 8 and make something more elegant imo

Cocona didn't need a reason to go adventuring in magical land. Her garbage boring life was enough motivation to go away and do anything that seemed good. And yeah, she was just following Papika most of the time because why not? She was probably the first person to show genuine interest in her in years. 6-8 was where she found a personal positive motivation to keep doing this, rather than merely going with the flow.

I don't really buy that Cocona had a garbage boring life before she met Papika, when she already lived in a bright, colorful world with family and friends who care about her. The opening seconds of Sword Art Online did a better job at making me think the main character had a garbage boring life before his escapist fantasy adventures than Flip Flappers has done.

All Out! Episode 9
CynhFoiW8AILeb2.jpg:small

Good post ED credits art.

Hana and Ebumi gave the best moments, seeing Ebumi cause Hana to get completely panicked and scared and everything, best character collapse Ive seen.

Also the advisor getting into the game with those faces. I started to also get emotional.

Szadek

As much as people were hyping up this season, I think it's rather disappointing.
Winter is still the worst season, since Rakugo was the only show worth watching that, but the other 2 were much better.

Cornbread78

As much as people were hyping up this season, I think it's rather disappointing.
Winter is still the worst season, since Rakugo was the only show worth watching that, but the other 2 were much better.

This season is definitely disappointing!

Last winter had Konosuba and Erased as well, so yeah, it was pretty damn good....

Quasar

Well for me this season is still way better than any in over a year.

pbayne

I don't really buy that Cocona had a garbage boring life before she met Papika, when she already lived in a bright, colorful world with family and friends who care about her. The opening seconds of Sword Art Online did a better job at making me think the main character had a garbage boring life before his escapist fantasy adventures than Flip Flappers has done.

Her parents are presumably dead. Sure her grandma loves her but i assume she has to take on some carer duties due to her disability. She doesn't seem to have many friends besides Yayaka, heck Papika seemed to get on better with her classmates than Cocona did herself. She looked hella lonely standing with everyone in PE in episode one. I dunno, doesn't seem that great.

Shergal

This is the first shot of Cocona, second overall in the show:
Neither bright nor colorful. She wears that same lifeless expression for most if not all of the runtime until Papika shows up; she asks opaque stuff like "Where should I go?" to her grandma as she angsts over something as trivial as picking schools and reads books about suicide. They're not hammering it down, but the point is there. It is reinforced in later episodes. Yayaka and her granny (the only two people who seem to register her as an individual) might care, but that doesn't necessarily change how Cocona feels about herself.

I disagree, This season as tons of great show, and calling winter weak? no way! it had Haikyu!

PK Gaming

They don't explicitly say it, but it's conveyed it pretty well

The moment where she has fun in the first episode, realizes it, then immediately tries to compose herself is a huge contrast from how she's usually depicted

The way her eyes light up whenever an episode reaches its fever pitch

Garbage isn't the word I would use to describe Cocona's life, but it was definitely super unfulfilling

Sterok

Any season that has 4 magical girl shows for me to shit on (even if I only watched two of them, did anyone watch Matoi?) is by definition a good season in my book. Gundam still being good while Girlish Number is a surprise hit cements this as a surprisingly strong season.

I've read Masamune-kun's Revenge. It was okay I guess, but not something that's particularly good or will build up any real fanbase.

This is the first shot of Cocona, second overall in the show:

Neither bright nor colorful. She wears that same lifeless expression for most if not all of the runtime until Papika shows up; she asks opaque stuff like "Where should I go?" to her grandma as she angsts over something as trivial as picking schools and reads books about suicide. They're not hammering it down, but the point is there. It is reinforced in later episodes. Yayaka and her granny (the only two people who seem to register her as an individual) might care, but that doesn't necessarily change how Cocona feels about herself.

You make some good points. The opening of the first episode definitely wants to make the point that Cocona is just sleepwalking through life without a purpose. (Though it doesn't help that the fantasy world used as the escape mechanism in the first episode is a white world of snow - I think a sharper contrast between drab 'reality' and a colorful fantasy world more akin to episode 2 would have made a stronger thematic/character point there.) I think the setup is good enough as an excuse for setting up crazy adventures, which is why I didn't really mind it at the beginning, but not good enough if Flip Flappers actually wants to be a character drama like it seems to want to be now.

I wasn't optimistic about Flip Flappers before it began but after the opening couple episodes I was hoping it would more consistently focus on being, you know, fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom