• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chindogg

On the topic of the side characters in Yuri on Ice depicting a different kind of love...this is something that could have been more capably accomplished by fleshing out how Yuri interacts with other characters. At one point the show kind of notes how he fails to acknowledge all of the people that have supported him throughout his career and it does just feel kind of bad that we don't see his relationships with anyone other than Viktor really elaborated on. The early episodes of the show seemed to offer more promise here but really wound up veering away from that. And with everything taking place on the ice rink lately I don't know how anyone can defend a format that feels so repetitive and shallow.

Honestly it's really not that great of a show. It has some really gorgeous scenes but it's usually an editing mess and the relationships are kinda all over the place. If it wasn't such a massive work in fujoshi pandering it'd be just as forgettable as half harem shows we get each season.

This should would be perfect for the alt universe gay Chindogg.

Well, looks like people were more interested in a Fall 2017 trip to Japan, so here's some updated details if anybody else is interested:

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 42-44.

Going for 8-13 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late April 2017.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which will no longer have the giant Gundam statue, but there's other interesting stuff there as well)
Other things you want to check out

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Check out the deer in Nara
Uji (The city shown in Sound! Euphonium)
Daytrip to Hiroshima
Other things you want to check out

Here's pictures from the Fall 2015 K-On GAF Japan trip we did (only the Tokyo part):
https://goo.gl/photos/qse3Yre9mQjqQdWE8

Oh, and we also met up with other people from GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108613

People who's shown interest:

Theonik
image.php

Line_HTX
image.php

Fatal Futanari
image.php

kpjolee
image.php

PshycoNinja
image.php

Thoraxes
image.php

StayDead
image.php

RurouniZel
image.php

PdotMichael
image.php

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

-

Cornbread78

Just took a closer look at the winter line-up and yeah..... Bring on the winter season already! This has been the season of "meh" so far for me.

Konosuba S2
Don't need to say anything here, yippee, time for fun!

Chaos; Child
Well, it's gotta be better than Occultic;Nine, right?

Tales of Zestiria the X S2
Hell yeah, story is much better in anime form and very entertaining!

Fuuka
whelp, I have no idea but the premise sounds interesting and I've heard it gets better later, so.....

Granblue Fantasy
I have no idea, but it's fantasy anime so I'll give it a shot ad drop it if it sucks/boring

Little Witch Academia
You guys talk about this one a lot, but I've never watched/seen anything about it...... What's the story with this one; should it be good?

Scum's Wish
Whelp, this got my attention really quick:

Seventeen-year-old Mugi Awaya and Hanabi Yasuraoka appear to be the ideal couple. They are both pretty popular, and they seem to suit each other well. However, outsiders don't know of the secret they share. Both Mugi and Hanabi have hopeless crushes on someone else, and they are only dating each other to soothe their loneliness. Mugi is in love with Akane Minagawa, a young teacher who used to be his home tutor. Hanabi is also in love with a teacher, a young man who has been a family friend since she was little. In each other, they find a place where they can grieve for the ones they cannot have, and they share physical intimacy driven by loneliness. Will things stay like this for them forever?

yup, all over this.... It's Seinen as well, so it should have a more mature tone to it, correct?

Masamune-kun's Revenge
and again? This has Romcom/drama written all over it.

As a child, Masamune Makabe once suffered greatly at the hands of a wealthy and beautiful girl named Aki Adagaki, who nicknamed him "Piggy" due to his chubby appearance. Seeking revenge against his tormentor, Masamune works hard to improve himself and returns as an incredibly handsome, albeit narcissistic, high school student. When he encounters Aki once again, he is prepared to exact vengeance.

With the aid of the rich girl's maid, Yoshino Koiwai, Masamune slowly begins to build his relationship with Aki, intending to break her heart when the time is right. However, as his friendship with Aki begins to grow, Masamune starts to question the objectives of his devious plans, and if bringing them to fruition is what his heart truly desires.

Just because, but warning bells are ringing.......
Hand Shakers:
Taboo Tattoo/Big Order of the season?

Movies:
Trinity 7 movie
*Sword Art Online the Movie -Ordinal Scale-*
Kizumonogatari III: Reiketsu-hen

Has anyone read the manga for Masamune-kun's Revenge, Fuuka and/or Scum's Wish? Thoughts? Should I temper my expectations?

Chaos; Child
Well, it's gotta be better than Occultic;Nine, right?
O;9 is already pretty much already comfirmed better since chaos;child MC has glasses and that's a big no no.

But I agree winter looks very nice! Give me that new Blue exorcist anime. The impure king arc is one of of my favorite arcs in the manga.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 9:

Well then, there is a lot to unpack in this episode and I think it has what might be my fight of the year so emotionally resonant it was and the stage seems to be set for endgame, what ever the fuck that might entail. I do think Flip Flappers has held some cards way too close to the chest though.

Honestly it's really not that great of a show. It has some really gorgeous scenes but it's usually an editing mess and the relationships are kinda all over the place. If it wasn't such a massive work in fujoshi pandering it'd be just as forgettable as half harem shows we get each season.

This should would be perfect for the alt universe gay Chindogg.

Would have been better as a high school club figure skating anime

Flip Flappers - 9

Oh my goodness. That fight inside the crystal.

I wonder if Papika will end up being the final boss of the show and Cocona and Yayaka will end up being the ones fighting her.

This episode should resonante greatly with the "Papika and Cocona have no chemistry" crowd.

Line_HTX

It almost feels like it should be to be honest. Euphonium does everything YoI does, only better. Hell there was more gay relationship progression this season in Keijo than YoI.

I'm guessing pacing was hectic to the point where there was hardly any relationship progression?

Chindogg

I'm guessing pacing was hectic to the point where there was hardly any relationship progression?

The focus shifts to so many characters that the actual relationships get lost in the shuffle.

Like I said, the show's basically fujoshi-gaze ecchi fanservice with a sprinkling of development. I'd argue that Nisekoi had better progression at this point.

duckroll

Lol I just changed my order to pay a few dollars more to get Garo shipped asap. Fuck waiting for Anno, I bet I'll still be waiting for this book to ship in Feb next year!

Sound! Euphonium S2 9:
Much better episode than the last two weeks. The focus on Asuka wound up working out pretty well. We get a much stronger idea of her motivations and what has lead her down her current path, particularly finding out about her father. But the real star of the episode is Kumiko. She's on rare form in this episode, showcasing everything that makes her a great protagonist, with a lot of real great remarks that just sort of come flowing out, and you can get a sense for how everyone has come to trust her and like that side of her, even the upperclassmen. This is the sort of thing that could easily feel trite, but I feel like the show has built up Kumiko so well and shown her interactions with all of these characters, so it all manages to work and feel pretty natural.

Well shit. I recently got back to my Ajin Anime/Manga Comparisons and I've discovered Netflix cut scenes in their overzealous desire to streamline episodes for binge watching. Episode 4 has a sequence where
Shimomura gets back up, revealing herself to be an Ajin.
This occurs before the credits, but Netflix cut the recap and all pre credit content so that scene is gone, meaning Netflix audiences just see
her standing again even though she was killed in the last episode.
Man that actually kinda pisses me off. I was waiting to watch Ajin Season 2 through Netflix, but if they're going to cut important scenes out....

duckroll

Well shit. I recently got back to my Ajin Anime/Manga Comparisons and I've discovered Netflix cut scenes in their overzealous desire to streamline episodes for binge watching. Episode 4 has a sequence where
This occurs before the credits, but Netflix cut the recap and all pre credit content so that scene is gone, meaning Netflix audiences just see
Man that actually kinda pisses me off. I was waiting to watch Ajin Season 2 through Netflix, but if they're going to cut important scenes out....

Wow that's a huge blunder. You should actually contact their customer service and let them know about it. Sometimes these edits are done in error because they assume there's nothing there.

They did the same with Seven deadly sins, where they ended the episode early and ever since then I always make sure an episode has nothing post-credit manually. It's pretty lame that they do that.

Edit: wait did they cut it out completly?

They did the same with Seven deadly sins, where they ended the episode early and ever since then I always make sure an episode has nothing post-credit manually. It's pretty lame that they do that.

No, I mean, the footage simply isn't there. It's not about the stream auto-playing the next episode (Which can be annoying in and of itself). The footage ahead of the credits is gone entirely. I can't find it on Netflix at all, meaning it's just not in the Netflix copy at all.

Wow that's a huge blunder. You should actually contact their customer service and let them know about it. Sometimes these edits are done in error because they assume there's nothing there.

I definitely will after I post my article. It's been up for months, I'm surprised I'm the first to notice.

duckroll

No, I mean, the footage simply isn't there. It's not about the stream auto-playing the next episode (Which can be annoying in and of itself). The footage ahead of the credits is gone entirely. I can't find it on Netflix at all, meaning it's just not in the Netflix copy at all.

Yes, complain and give them feedback. I actually think they would appreciate it.

I definitely will after I post my article. It's been up for months, I'm surprised I'm the first to notice.
Wow that's hopefully not something they did to other episodes.

pbayne

Flip Flappers 9

-Why are they fighting in that room from Fate/Zero? Fight had some sick moments.
-I found Yayaka's back story a bit underwhelming. Whole crystal barrier job was a bit obvious but it looked really cool.
-Not sure what to make of the third amphourous child yet. Fuck no chance it's actually Mimi. Maybe a part of her?
-Overall i think it was the weakest episode by far from a creative and direction standpoint. Unusually straightforward and lol not much room for interpretation. But it greased the wheels for the end game seemingly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Your Name

Really enjoyed it, even if Jexius comments ruined every scene that clouds appeared in.

Thanks to Theonik for pointing out that the ICA had some showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom