• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Passage - 08

A
13 years
time skip? Now that is daring. I think the anime audience at large would scoff at the idea of having their cute waifu's aged dramatically out of the sudden :p But then, this show isn't for that audience.

In a show with real good characterization it tends to be enjoyable to perceive the changes that have taken place in the meantime and I was quickly interested in seeing how everyone is. I'm not sure yet whether I'm really a fan of this time skip but I really do appreciate that they dared doing that and it made for a fairly unique experience. I mean, time skips aren't unusual in film but in a TV series of this sorts? In the middle, no less, seems rare.

What I am not happy with though is the the rather rough animation and character artwork. It was still the kind of animation of the ordinary I appreciate so much in The Great Passage, but it was rougher looking than ever. Also the characters' faces looked downright off and unpleasant at times, that's a no-go.

The Great Passage - 08

A
13 years
time skip? Now that is daring. I think the anime audience at large would scoff at the idea of having their cute waifu's aged dramatically out of the sudden :p But then, this show isn't for that audience.

In a show with real good characterization it tends to be enjoyable to perceive the changes that have taken place in the meantime and I was quickly interested in seeing how everyone is. I'm not sure yet whether I'm really a fan of this time skip but I really do appreciate that they dared doing that and it made for a fairly unique experience. I mean, time skips aren't unusual in film but in a TV series of this sorts? In the middle, no less, seems rare.

What I am not happy with though is the the rather rough animation and character artwork. It was still the kind of animation of the ordinary I appreciate so much in The Great Passage, but it was rougher looking than ever. Also the characters' faces looked downright off and unpleasant at times, that's a no-go.

Funny that you're complaining about the animation this episode, when one of the sakuga fiends I follow was tweeting about how this was the best animated episode since the first one. As the linked tweets say, this episode was outsourced to Dogakobo, and the animators at work here decided to take a free approach to the designs in favor of having looser animation. Of course, people differ greatly in how strictly on-model they prefer their anime to be, so I can understand why you would react negatively to this choice.

(At any rate, there's no way you can say this episode looked rougher than ever when episode 4 exists.)

Funny that you're complaining about the animation this episode, when one of the sakuga fiends I follow was tweeting about how this was the best animated episode since the first one. As the linked tweets say, this episode was outsourced to Dogakobo, and the animators at work here decided to take a free approach to the designs in favor of having looser animation. Of course, people differ greatly in how strictly on-model they prefer their anime to be, so I can understand why you would react negatively to this choice.

(At any rate, there's no way you can say this episode looked rougher than ever when episode 4 exists.)

Interesting. For my taste they played the character designs a tad too loose and even despite of that I felt as though the animation wasn't even fluid enough to make up for that.

As for episode 4, I couldn't recall having as many downright off looking faces in there, which is why I decided to go as far. Might not be justified, I'll have to actually watch episode 4 again to be sure.

edit:
8NBZM4u.jpg

I mean there were shots like this one where the characters looked like this for extended periods of time, not just some rough inbetween frame. That just seems a bit too low for the otherwise quite good visuals on average.

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 09
Sayaka used a judo throw with her nipple. What the fuck. And the preview has drill breasts. What the fuck.

Best show.

Qurupeke

Girlish Number 7-8
For an episode with almost no Chitose, this was really enjoyable. But damn, Momoka really seem to secretly dislike Chitose. lol Really liked the stuff with the parents, pretty heartwarming. The show is nailing it with its comedy, but I'd say it's not bad with more the more serious stuff, it has managed to make me care about its characters.

JulianImp

A couple pick-ups made on my latest foray into the Akiba wilderness.

Monogatari owns my soul, but not my wallet, though! Suruga was ¥600, Madogatari Homura ¥500 (unopened, which was really weird since I saw it for ¥1000 out of box and ¥1500 at some other store), and paid ¥600 for the Shinobu plushie keychain.

I'm still upset that the best Kaiki-related merch I managed to find so far was this ¥300 clear file set. Like, how come even freaking Episode gets more merch than Kaiki? Preposterous, I say!

Qurupeke

I'm still upset that the best Kaiki-related merch I managed to find so far was this ¥300 clear file set. Like, how come even freaking Episode gets more merch than Kaiki? Preposterous, I say!

lmao You really must be desperate for Kaiki merch if you bought a clear file set. :p

Naruto shippuden 484

YOO! When Naruto episodes go full awesome, they really go full awesome. Wayyyyy above average and amazing visuals, a cool story and a nice soundtrack. That episode was amazing. Hopefully it doesnt do like the boyhood arc and go from 10 to 3, so I'll keep my expectations in check, but I was greatly pleased. This felt almost movie-like.

Twin Star Exorcist 34

Nice! we finally got back to it, the last 2 episodes were kind of weak, but this one was great. The twelve guardian duo fight was really cool and that ending was pretty funny with Shimon. I'm hoping that means he's gonna be more present in the future episodes since we can all agree that he's the coolest character in TSE.

Hellsing IX-X

So after about a year of postponement I finally finished Hellsing Ultimate, for what was imo a kind of weak ending. The climax felt a little forced and
Alucard's *death* felt meh
. Also my main problem with hellsing was that while batlle seems to look great, they in the end felt empty. It was mediocre at best, they are better action stuff out there.

Best episode of the whole thing was probably the Seras episode, I liked her DakaDaka moments.

JulianImp

lmao You really must be desperate for Kaiki merch if you bought a clear file set. :p

Haha, yeah. Other than that, I think there are like a whole two mini-figures of him, but no mascot straps, rubber straps, tin straps or even badges that I'm aware of. I get that he's a male character in a harem-ish show, but it hurts that even male characters with smaller roles than him have been getting more merch.

Not many people like Kaiki though.

:p

Bu-bu-but he absolutely stole the show in Koimonogatari! He at least deserves better than showing up in bottom-tier prizes such as freaking clear files for that, IMO.

I'm still wondering why the hell Nendoroid stopped releasing Monogatari merch after the first season, outside of a set or two of Nendo petits with some of the characters in Nise, though. Maybe they stopped trying after they reached the part where the female characters weren't nearly always wearing nearly identical school uniforms?

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist 34
that ending was pretty funny with Shimon. I'm hoping that means he's gonna be more present in the future episodes since we can all agree that he's the coolest character in TSE..

I hope he sticks around just to keep Mayuri away from Rokuro...

No need for any shipping drama.

/XX/

Just when I believed fully Mr. Yamaga's claims (again) of having a strong sponsor that would make the 2017 release date for There Is a Reason That We Yawn a reality:

Hiroyuki Yamaga & Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Connichi 2016) - Interviews - Manganimation.net, Manga Anime, news & reviews
http://www.manganimation.net/interviews/hiroyuki-yamaga-yoshiyuki-sadamoto-connichi-2016

RIP Gainax. Looks like it's finally time to be closing those doors.
But, what if the creation of "branch" offices was a way of averting responsibility for a possible insolvency of the "parent" company? There is some nebulous information regarding their statuses as subsidiaries, and much more semi-related accountability engineering; the search of capital for Uru in Blue through a low-risk contractual relation via a LLP based on Singapore, Yonago Gainax with Takami Akai touting their independence and not participating on joint acts with all the others at KYOMAF, and now GAINAX WEST claims total capital independence in wake of these news while Mr. Takeda (who amusingly blamed all responsibility of the 1998 scandal on Mr. Sawamura) is busy going his way to search for a definitive base in Kyōto.

Things are going to get more messy still, for sure!

Cornbread78

That seems to be the way they are going with the anime at least.
But madness what would anime be without shipping dramas?!

Please no, I would just like them to continue growing the main one as it is, since it is still going at a snails pace...

I was unaware the new season of Kintama had started.

Only a few more weeks, lol.

Some day, I will dig into the series, but 300+ episodes of catch-up.... damn!

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 36

Much like Koichi's earlier incarnation, I really didn't think Hayato would end up an effective POV character yet the Hayato/Kira dynamic these past two eps that featured only their POVs has be so wonderfully intense and personal. also jfc @ the op

BITES THE DUSTO 36

ood2z77.jpg
qdiCOWZ.jpg
FT21l8u.jpg

The use of this tree to frame was sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

They totally knew what they were doing with Great Days like End of the World. They made that OP with the edit in mind. Amazing.

The show may have slipped up a month or two ago but its managing to finish strong so far unlike the production/directorial issues The World had. Makes me super excited for the finale.

Glad to hear that Jojo's back on the upswing again for the last few episodes after that slump in the middle. Might be finally motivated to catch up again this month.

The Great Passage 08

The timeskip is severely odd. If you wanted to see Majime and Kaguya actually develop a relationship...well they skipped over that and thats pretty disappointing for me.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 22

This mystery in the first half was just plain weird and went by way to quickly to make impact really. Shame cause it had some potential. The rest was mostly a build up episode without any fireworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom