• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Seriously... I actually left that episode angry because she is such an evil woman. She knows Rei has lost some matches, so now she shows up to fuck with him and make him fail further... uugghh

Yeah. Given the discussion about Shogi levels I assume deliberately so he'd fall down a level. So she's Shogi stalking the guy, as well as admitting she'll happily murder people in their sleep.

Its one of those things I knew was coming for a long time but its like the end of Rose of Versailles where you know from the beginning whats going to happen but the end still gets you

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 21
Cy4mWVyW8AAeTkZ.jpg:small
Cy4pE9uWgAEYn69.jpg:small

Playing Tag in London was great.Big Kuu needs to be in another episode.

Finally watched Berserk films 1 and 2. Never saw them before and the 2016 series made me nervous but I was pleasantly surprised. Was actually a bit impressed how well they managed to distill the series down without feeling like anything truly crucial was missing (although a lot of the stuff cut is shit I liked.)

If anything these just make me more frustrated that 2016 is what it is. I think at this point I would've been willing to accept a distilled movie series version like this knowing 2016 is the alternative.

Still, my pipe dream for if my novels ever take off big is to fund a proper Berserk adaptation from beginning to end.

Cornbread78

The Count of Monte Cristo ep.18

No Franz, NOOOOO! Outside of the poor CG for the robot duel, that was an excellent battle and an excellent episode. Although, I was a little bit broken that
Franz died in the end though
, but the moment was well done..

--------------------------------

In other news. Anyone have any good "let's Watch" ideas? Was thinking Devil is a Part Timer to change it up, but was wondering if I should bother? I'm told that people really like and appreciate the watches (lurkers and casuals) but none of them really partcipate....

Any thought, ideas, suggestions or recs? Should I just kill it again?

Narag

In other news. Anyone have any good "let's Watch" ideas? Was thinking Devil is a Part Timer to change it up, but was wondering if I should bother? I'm told that people really like and appreciate the watches (lurkers and casuals) but non of them really partcipate....

Any thought, ideas, suggestions or recs? Should I just kill it again?

Kill it and bring it back closer to summer when you'd likely have more participation.

Gurrry

Started watching Naruto after picking up ninja storm 4 during the steam sale.

It was a slow start but damn im loving it now. Im on episode 35 and each one just gets better and better.

zulux21

Started watching Naruto after picking up ninja storm 4 during the steam sale.

It was a slow start but damn im loving it now. Im on episode 35 and each one just gets better and better.

please please please tell me you are using a filler guide.

i mean it's not a big deal at this point, but it gets there quickly.

Have a weird random question, is there a name for the "trope" in anime voice acting for females where they go real deep and drawn out with the voice?(creepy/yandere/tough voices typically.)

Thud

Its one of those things I knew was coming for a long time but its like the end of Rose of Versailles where you know from the beginning whats going to happen but the end still gets you

It was beautifully portrayed.

Please keep watching tho. There's still some wonderful moments left.

Sweet jebus is the first episode of Alderamin on the Sky boring.

Did they pair the first two episodes together? Because if not, how the fuck did anyone stick with that show?

Quasar

Did they pair the first two episodes together? Because if not, how the fuck did anyone stick with that show?

Well I thought it started off great. Really enjoyed it from what I recall. And before the show finished add the books to my reading pile.

Verelios

GIRLISH Number 7

This is my guilty pleasure. I love how everyone seems to be moving on and advancing their careers while Chitose's is hitting rock bottom, not without reason. Really makes me think about the seiyuu behind the anime I watch.

Beforehand, and by before I mean when I was slightly interested from Shiroboko, I never took the time to pay attention to VA beyond slight recognition of 'ah, I've heard X before', since producer and studio names were enough knowledge for me. It's occurred to me that maybe I should take more interest in VA work...it's also occurred to me that I probably won't since I already don't enjoy enjoy keeping up with actors. Well, at least I'm aware of them.

Szadek

It's not like the next episodes are much better, so I really don't know so many people watched the anime without falling asleep.

Vivid Strike! - 10

I swear to god if this hobo with four months of martial training is somehow able to win this battle I'm going to be so fucking mad. I know this is a 'friendship' battle but christ.

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa 05-09

Smirking Ai-cha > Kouhai > Ai-chan. Fight me.

jgminto

Saw Doctor Strange, not a great movie but the visual sequences were dope. if this was an 80's anime there would have been more melting flesh and overly toothed abominations, which would obviously be an improvement.

blurr

Expelled From Paradise

I had been putting it off for a while owing to its character design for the lead girl. I later picked it up after I heard some praise and yes, it was surprisingly good by the end of it.

It starts off with endorsing the reason I had been putting it off and further rubbing it in my face. Thankfully, it was not long but I did notice the movie leaves little room where it doesn't actually move or build the story or the world further which is why it had my constant attention.

A lot of its themes borderline existentialism but more importantly, it references relgion and heaven with the use of the word "Deva" and the rulers of its society being depicted as gods. This is the second film I've seen that referenced religion in a similar way (first was Kubo and the Two Strings), the idea that eternal liberation from human burdens is logically appealing but often the beautiful things in life are imperfect/irrational bringing us to question the idea of religion. Moreover on how religion can interfere breakthroughs or revelations in science when they become a potential threat to them. On this note, I really love how it concluded, quite the fitting depcition of the state of humanity at least in that universe.

There's a single mech design that appears in the film but the battles are intense and exhilirating. I had a great time watching them.

It's definitely worth watching if you can get past the depiction of the female protagonist, aesthetically at least.

Expelled From Paradise

I had been putting it off for a while owing to its character design for the lead girl. I later picked it up after I heard some praise and yes, it was surprisingly good by the end of it.

It starts off with endorsing the reason I had been putting it off and further rubbing it in my face. Thankfully, it was not long but I did notice the movie leaves little room where it doesn't actually move or build the story or the world further which is why it had my constant attention.

A lot of its themes borderline existentialism but more importantly, it references relgion and heaven with the use of the word "Deva" and the rulers of its society being depicted as gods. This is the second film I've seen that referenced religion in a similar way (first was Kubo and the Two Strings), the idea that eternal liberation from human burdens is logically appealing but often the beautiful things in life are imperfect/irrational bringing us to question the idea of religion. Moreover on how religion can interfere breakthroughs or revelations in science when they become a potential threat to them. On this note, I really love how it concluded, quite the fitting depcition of the state of humanity at least in that universe.

There's a single mech design that appears in the film but the battles are intense and exhilirating. I had a great time watching them.

It's definitely worth watching if you can get past the depiction of the female protagonist, aesthetically at least.

I ended up not liking this movie because her reason for rebelling against the DEVAs honestly felt flimsy and only boiled down to, "I feel bad for this AI and I fell in love with this guy.", and she had no real way of proving the AI honestly meant no harm. Wow that's a lot of conviction for a dude and AI you've know for like a day. Not to mention she kills actual people while protecting an AI robot which doesn't make any sense when you think about it.
Bad movie is bad and MC looks leading to a bunch of very nice art was the only good thing about it.

blurr

I ended up not liking this movie because her reason for rebelling against the DEVAs honestly felt flimsy and only boiled down to, "I feel bad for this AI and I fell in love with this guy.", and she had no real way of proving the AI honestly meant no harm. Wow that's a lot of conviction for a dude and AI you've know for like a day. Not to mention she kills actual people while protecting an AI robot which doesn't make any sense when you think about it.
Bad movie is bad and MC looks leading to a bunch of very nice art was the only good thing about it.

a.
Her rebellion against DEVAs over "I feel bad for this AI and I fell in love with this guy." is not true exactly and over simplification. For starters she didn't believe that the AI was planning actual space travel in the first place. It was only when things started adding up that it became convincing, all the more when she actually met it and saw all of those plans in front of her, nothing implied otherwise. She didn't feel bad for the AI but followed protocol once she understood that it was an AI that achieved sentience(which is apparently a big deal in their world) and saw that it made no apparent threat. Remember she went back to find out what to do next given her lack of judgement in this context, she relied on her superiors, only to be baffled that they are acting brashly over paranoia.

b.
She rebelled because of McCree look-a-like's talk on how DEVA society is a lie and no different than surface/earth which made her reconsider her stance on DEVAs or at least began to, her hierarchical society ideals broke down at this point. Her rebellion only happened afterwards when she saw how they treated her and how they didn't care about the citizens of lower status. I tend to see this from a religious perspective and I find all of it fitting; someone who is religious on the crossroads of a decision dealing with religion and science contradicting each other would find it more relateable.

c.
I remember the only scene where they implied a relationship between McCree and her is at the end of it which was brief, not quite her reason.

d.
Yes, she does kill, I don't want to justify it but I'm not so taken aback given the truth that she learns.

Oh fuck oh shit

Singapore Airlines has Your Name available on their in flight movie selection! English subbed!

Debating if I should watch it on my flight home on an 8 inch screen in SD quality or wait until its out in Blu ray. My thirst for this movie is ridiculous though and Im super tempted...

SA also has a few other anime movies like Wolf Children, Boy and the Beast and Summer Wars to name a few.

Oh fuck oh shit

Singapore Airlines has Your Name available on their in flight movie selection! English subbed!

Debating if I should watch it on my flight home on an 8 inch screen in SD quality or wait until its out in Blu ray. My thirst for this movie is ridiculous though and Im super tempted...

SA also has a few other anime movies like Wolf Children, Boy and the Beast and Summer Wars to name a few.

Save it for BD quality.

Cornbread78

Oh fuck oh shit

just watch it to quench the thirst, then buy the BR upon release.

duckroll

Garo Divine Flame was really satisfying. Please look forward to a review. <3

Here's a sneak peek at the review: "....there are bare tits, and they have nipples on them..."

blurr

March Comes in like a Lion 08

Kiriyama should win. It's an obvious thing to do but given his apathy towards himself, it may not be that easy.

As much as I find her actions spiteful, the entire scene involving her was really well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom