• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
jexhius going IN
surprise.gif
ashot_sven.gif
surprise.gif

you are only going to have code geass recap movie(s)
a true return to code geass won't be until 2018 or 2019 so I wouldn't even bother counting it since recap movies are rather meh :/
Even then there is still tons of great stuff, I still think there is hope for 2017 though.

Thud

Rose of Versailles 17

Contact is made, if looks could kill...

I find it weird Oscar abandons the revenge plot and her sword training in like one single episode. Searching Rosalie's mother is of course a more hopeful goal, but still the 180 in character is odd. Probably mentioned it earlier that Oscar seems like the tool for progressing the story and interconnecting characters besides the "oh what a coincidence". I guess it's done pretty subtle for an anime from that time. Especially when the visual art-direction is there to distract you from moments such as this.

It's a minor complaint in a pretty solid anime so far. Now Fersen coming out of nowhere that's pulling rabbits out of the big hat. Rosalie should at least be able to defend herself after those weeks of training, but apparently studying grammar with Oscar is more appealing

A bigger problem is that the option of running away was not considered. Oscar is smart enough to understand who came up with this plan and these goons wouldn't have given her valuable information anyway. These actions show that Oscar is more likely to confront the problem straight on and that caused a major opening. Of course it's also another way to progress the plot. With an injured Oscar, Fersen's entree was justified.

Let's see what Fersen has in store for us. The preview makes the comparison with Icarus, so this should be good.

zulux21

Even then there is still tons of great stuff, I still think there is hope for 2017 though.

the recap movies will be at least 3 months apart, and the sequel won't come out until after them.

we have no release date for the first movie, which makes it at least 3 months out, meaning there isn't enough time in 2017 for all 3 movies to release as well as a sequel.

the recap movies will be at least 3 months apart, and the sequel won't come out until after them.

we have no release date for the first movie, which makes it at least 3 months out, meaning there isn't enough time in 2017 for all 3 movies to release as well as a sequel.

When you put it like that I guess you make a point, so at earliest winter 2018?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
My anime season has consisted of Yuri on Ice, Kiss Him Not Me, Nanbaka, Drifters, and Natusme. Don't judge me... >_>

sonicmj1

I've dropped everything but Jojo and two 3.5 minute shorts (Ninja Girl and Miss Bernard) because I'm busy and don't have time for stuff.

Luckily Jojo has been absolutely ace for the last month or so.

I think this episode was a major dip in visual quality. There was good 'motion' and I was for instance delighted when Majime's glasses slipped while bowing, but at the same time many of these bits suffered from too much off-model animation for my taste. Additionally, some of it was slightly choppy.

Lastly, some of the shots were downright ugly to a degree that even episode 4 didn't really lower itself to.

To post my previous example:

I therefore simply cannot praise that episode's animation when there were too many trade-offs. In fact, I did the opposite *shrugs*

To add to what Jexhius said, observe the natural way Kishibe struggles unsuccessfully to hold back tears, or the nuanced motion as she carefully turns her hands back and forth while contemplating and her sudden burst of energy as she propels herself up upon a burst of inspiration, or the way Nishioka's thumbs deftly dance across the smartphone screen when texting. Go back and watch the scene before the second excerpt Jexhius posted, when Kishibe is drunk and her body and hair weave back and forth naturally as her defenses are lowered enough to express her insecurities. The whole episode is filled with expressive character acting like these moments, and it would be a shame to throw all that out because a few shots aren't as attractive as others. Episode 8 is a totally different situation from episode 4 with its solo KA. Episode 4 had barely any motion, and what motion was there was robotic and stilted. Episode 8 is full of motion - since it was handled by Doga Kobo, an appropriate comparison would be, say, Love Lab 12. Now I do think a few shots that people have fixated on will be touched up for the final BD version of this episode, but even if they weren't I think going off model is worth an episode overflowing with elaborate character animation.

The attention to nuanced and detailed character animation was something I appreciated about Kuroyanagi's previous show, Shounen Hollywood, and I'm pleased to see him carry over the same sensibility into a show with a better schedule and more animation talent.

duckroll

Now that I'm actually awake and not a mutated sleep deprived zombie who stayed up for 24 hours just to watch the Westworld finale, I'm totally gonig to review the Garo movie soon. Promise! There might even be a Fafner review today! Err.... maybe not!

cj_iwakura

Danganronpa 3: Despair 10

Good god. I knew it would be bad, but ouch. I'm for the brainwashing, personally, because it's even more despairing to see them totally forced into it, especially Chisa.

John Blade

Hello everyone

I am alive and just wandering around here now as I am slowing down watching anime to a crawl and playing some 3ds games. What did I miss here?

Cornbread78

Hello everyone

I am alive and just wandering around here now as I am slowing down watching anime to a crawl and playing some 3ds games. What did I miss here?

Hey, welcome back buddy. I hope all is well!

Dennou Coil ep.3
Well, that's one way to deepen the mystery by throwing out a bunch of new concepts all at once. Now it appears we got two girls one brat going forward. The imouto (poo girl) and Granny are the best characters so far, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rewatched the middle of Death Note yesterday while filling out the Pokédex. God that show is so good until the third act begins and it completely shits the bed. I have three episodes left and I don't know if I'll watch the first two of them.

Really the ideal Death Note experience is 1-26 and then the finale. Just make up your own story for what happened during the timeskip.

RedSwirl

NaNa - END

So uh. Wow.

So the female lead is what a lot of people might call a "basic bitch" or the kind of girl who keeps getting involved with "jerks" except the show actually goes into her self-aware thought process on this.

Is it advisable to continue the manga from where the anime left off?

Since I did not see any post here about it, but Funimation new site is launching on December *7th*.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/12/02/get-ready-for-an-all-new-funimation-com/

Your anime upgrade is almost here! We’ve been working hard on our new site to make streaming, shopping, and sharing an incredible experience – and we’re ready to share it with you.

As a part of our rollout process, Funimation.com will be down starting at midnight Central Time on December 7th. This will affect all of our operating regions: US, Canada, UK and Ireland. Sites affected include Funimation.com, FunimationNow.uk, and FunimationNow.ie.

duckroll

Garo -Divine Flame- (Movie)

That was pretty fucking good. It's a short film, less than 80 minutes long, but it's tight, exciting, and really pretty. It takes place a few years after the TV series, it acts as both a sequel and also a sort of original story. The best thing about it is how it doesn't try to be too epic or over-complicated to deliver some sort of "true finale" to the series after the events of the series. It's just another tragic dark fantasy story in the world of Garo which involves Leon and Alfonso investigating something and having to stop a horror, but it's suitably expanded in scope from the sort of story an episodic tale in the series would have told, yet at the same time it doesn't feel like they're dumping a ton of extra stuff in to make it comparable to the finale of the series.

Visually, it's more than on par, but I really appreciated how it wasn't "omg the fate of the entire world is at stake as something tries to destroy the entire kingdom". Instead it's a more personal story relating to the characters themselves, and what it means to be a divine knight, and what it means to protect what is most important to you. There are lots of fights in the movie, they're all really nice, the direction is stellar, and the camerawork is almost too elaborate at times. The team was burning with passion and clearly poured their all into it. Anyone who enjoyed the second half of Garo the Animation, especially the sword fight between Leon and Alfonso, will be very pleased with the sort of action the movie has.

It's also worth noting that there are bare tits, and they have nipples on them. This is the true power of an anime movie, as we have learned from films and OVAs in the 80s and 90s. In fact the film opens with a naked lady humping a guy, before something terrible happens to them. Luckily for us, nothing terrible happened to the production of this film and it looks and sounds awesome. MAPPA power!

John Blade

what did you last watch?

*Shutter* I am on hold with the Golgo 13 TV series (halfway done) as it's getting hard to push on when you already know how it will end. I guess I will have to watch this as those random episode to get it done. Also, on hold with Godannar Season 2 as I just finish season 1 when I stop posting here. It's okay but don't feel the urge to move onto the 2nd season even knowing it might get interesting. Those fan service can't save this show even if they try.

Hey, welcome back buddy. I hope all is well!
I am okay but much stress out because of the holiday rush I am in (don't want to talk too much of my job but it come down to managing a physical and online shop in Canada and it's December which mean....HOLIDAY RUSH). Still feel tired even though I step out where I live to oversea to recover for a bit). Still, kinda miss what happen here.....even if it kill some people.

Just wondering, did you finish Wolf Rain. Did read some of your impression at the beginning but never have a chance to see your final impression of the show.

Welcome back, John Blade! Glad to hear you're OK.

The world has changed. Yeah...
I am still okay. Still tired but okay. Would like to watch you people watch but my time is either taking over from work, handheld games, and just normal life outside here. Also, I sense more bad things in this forum which I never know....might not be a bad thing....

Yo long time no see! Glad that your doing well!
Thanks. Doing okay just need something to watch in my collection.

I guess it might be a good time to find a show in my collection which need to watch. The other two show kinda kill me and I still want to get through Maison Ikkoku. Maybe I should watch something more easy for me to get through like Summer Wars or Wolf Children. Also, need more space for my anime collection!!!

John Blade

NaNa - END

So uh. Wow.

So the female lead is what a lot of people might call a "basic bitch" or the kind of girl who keeps getting involved with "jerks" except the show actually goes into her self-aware thought process on this.

Man...is been a while since I watch the show and read the manga. If you like the show, I would go read the manga to continue the story. Do note, the manga have no real ending as the creator got sick and never really go back to finish the work so, you might never have the ending you want for the series.

Cornbread78

Dennou Coil ep.4

These nerd cyber games are pretty fun. Besides, the chick is waaaay OP, plz nerf her eye abilities and speed.. It's just not fair.

Just wondering, did you finish Wolf Rain. Did read some of your impression at the beginning but never have a chance to see your final impression of the show.

Oh yeah. I've finished, Wolf's Rain, Mob Psycho 100 and Gosick (probably more as well, but can't think straight) I'm almost done The Count of Monte Cristo as well.

The ending of Wolf's Rain was brutal... Not in a bad way brutal, just it was rough for the cast and everyone involved. I really liked it though!

zulux21

When you put it like that I guess you make a point, so at earliest winter 2018?

I could see fall 2018.

NaNa - END

So uh. Wow.

as someone else said... the manga doesn't have an ending. I don't know how much farther it goes as I have not read it because it would just make me sad... the anime ends alright so I just live with that.

blurr

Y'all literally wrong about The Great Passage ep 8.

Here's some facts:

- Posting random stills isn't relevant, especially when you're discussing animation.
- Neither is saying something if "off-model" - that's the same avenue of argument that people make when they want to whine about the Pain fight in Naruto. It's not what we're talking about.
- We're talking about animation, which means we're talking about how things move, how that's conveyed to the audience, and what feelings or impressions that movement illicit within you.

There are plenty of individual pieces of animation in The Great Passage 8 that really convey a lot of information to the audience.

How about Majime's nervous panic? This is the most senior lead on a project that's being running over a decade, and yet he's still fundamentally the same character that we met at the start of the series, and this short scene is all you need to see that:

panicyyqrj.gif

Or how about this scene at the 'Welcoming Party'? How better to convey the struggle Kishibe has when Majime confronts her with information that doesn't mesh with her world-view. She literally has to bolt like a frightened animal:

running2cqnt.gif

Or even this small scene discussing how important it is to have correct paper in a dictionary. I think there's something pretty fundamental that we all experience when we physically manipulate 'good' paper in a magazine or book - it just 'feels' right. But how to convey that in animation? Or, more importantly, how to convey paper that fails to reach that standard? Again, the animation in this episode comes through beautifully in capturing these micro-details:

stickynessj8qfr.gif

To add to what Jexhius said, observe the natural way Kishibe struggles unsuccessfully to hold back tears, or the nuanced motion as she carefully turns her hands back and forth while contemplating and her sudden burst of energy as she propels herself up upon a burst of inspiration, or the way Nishioka's thumbs deftly dance across the smartphone screen when texting. Go back and watch the scene before the second excerpt Jexhius posted, when Kishibe is drunk and her body and hair weave back and forth naturally as her defenses are lowered enough to express her insecurities. The whole episode is filled with expressive character acting like these moments, and it would be a shame to throw all that out because a few shots aren't as attractive as others. Episode 8 is a totally different situation from episode 4 with its solo KA. Episode 4 had barely any motion, and what motion was there was robotic and stilted. Episode 8 is full of motion - since it was handled by Doga Kobo, an appropriate comparison would be, say, Love Lab 12. Now I do think a few shots that people have fixated on will be touched up for the final BD version of this episode, but even if they weren't I think going off model is worth an episode overflowing with elaborate character animation.

The attention to nuanced and detailed character animation was something I appreciated about Kuroyanagi's previous show, Shounen Hollywood, and I'm pleased to see him carry over the same sensibility into a show with a better schedule and more animation talent.

Damn, thanks this what I wanted to read. I rewatched afterwards, a lot of those moments involving full body motion were either (personally)hard to notice or brief but I do acknowledge hand animation is great. The thing that captivated me in the first three episodes was its casual movement that appeared frequently or relayed through simple postures, this episode's moments were more situational.

That was pretty fucking good. It's a short film, less than 80 minutes long, but it's tight, exciting, and really pretty. It takes place a few years after the TV series, it acts as both a sequel and also a sort of original story. The best thing about it is how it doesn't try to be too epic or over-complicated to deliver some sort of "true finale" to the series after the events of the series. It's just another tragic dark fantasy story in the world of Garo which involves Leon and Alfonso investigating something and having to stop a horror, but it's suitably expanded in scope from the sort of story an episodic tale in the series would have told, yet at the same time it doesn't feel like they're dumping a ton of extra stuff in to make it comparable to the finale of the series.

Visually, it's more than on par, but I really appreciated how it wasn't "omg the fate of the entire world is at stake as something tries to destroy the entire kingdom". Instead it's a more personal story relating to the characters themselves, and what it means to be a divine knight, and what it means to protect what is most important to you. There are lots of fights in the movie, they're all really nice, the direction is stellar, and the camerawork is almost too elaborate at times. The team was burning with passion and clearly poured their all into it. Anyone who enjoyed the second half of Garo the Animation, especially the sword fight between Leon and Alfonso, will be very pleased with the sort of action the movie has.

It's also worth noting that there are bare tits, and they have nipples on them. This is the true power of an anime movie, as we have learned from films and OVAs in the 80s and 90s. In fact the film opens with a naked lady humping a guy, before something terrible happens to them. Luckily for us, nothing terrible happened to the production of this film and it looks and sounds awesome. MAPPA power!

This sounds like what I was looking for. The only question I have is:
does the film handle the return of German in a graceful manner or does his resurrection (or whatever it is) comes across as forced?

John Blade

The ending of Wolf's Rain was brutal... Not in a bad way brutal, just it was rough for the cast and everyone involved. I really liked it though!

And that is what make the show ending very powerful and you will remember it more than other show. Still a good show to watch but don't know if I can go back to watch it like I did in the past. Still hurt..

duckroll

This sounds like what I was looking for. The only question I have is:
does the film handle the return of German in a graceful manner or does his resurrection (or whatever it is) comes across as forced?

It's interesting. I think out of all the possible ways they could have thought of on how to bring the character back for the film, this is probably one of the better choices. It obeys the laws of the setting, it's not a cheap twist, and it doesn't undermine the events of the series. I'm not really sure if the film -needed- it, but it being what it is, I thought it was interesting with regards to what is possible in the realms of the franchise, and it didn't bother me.

It's interesting. I think out of all the possible ways they could have thought of on how to bring the character back for the film, this is probably one of the better choices. It obeys the laws of the setting, it's not a cheap twist, and it doesn't undermine the events of the series. I'm not really sure if the film -needed- it, but it being what it is, I thought it was interesting with regards to what is possible in the realms of the franchise, and it didn't bother me.

Sounds good enough. (And I'm not sure if you saw the interview with Maruyama that talked about this: but yes, this film actually did need it. The producers mandated that this character had to be brought back for the film because his popularity among fans was too big to ignore. Maruyama said Kobayashi was very annoyed.)

duckroll

Sounds good enough. (And I'm not sure if you saw the interview with Maruyama that talked about this: but yes, this film actually did need it. The producers mandated that this character had to be brought back for the film because his popularity among fans was too big to ignore. Maruyama said Kobayashi was very annoyed.)

No, I know that it was a mandate. What I meant is, I don't think the film really needed it from a creative standpoint, and the same story would have worked without that element. But they did not sell out and betray the essence of the series while handling that mandate.

Edit: Actually wait, I take it back. I just remembered that there was an awesome short action scene which wouldn't have worked with any other character. So fuck it, the story wouldn't have worked without that element!!!!!!! (I'm selling out)

No, I know that it was a mandate. What I meant is, I don't think the film really needed it from a creative standpoint, and the same story would have worked without that element. But they did not sell out and betray the essence of the series while handling that mandate.

Ah, OK. Yeah, I'm pleased to hear that; balancing the commercial desires of the people funding anime and the artistic desires of people making anime is not always easy.

Jarmel

Banned

Seems solid enough. Looking forward to watching!

All Out! Episode 5 engdub

Coach sounds better in JPN, the ENG one just doesnt sound as old/experience and initially mean as the one they had for JPN.

Yuri On Ice! Episode 7 EngDub

Guang Hong Ji actually had a slight accent in this and he remained just as cute as he was too me when he first appeared, the pouting with the stuffed bear is the best. However, I liked his whole performance and story along with it. Next year though, Number 1.

Just started watching the Great Passage

Man I'm a fucking nerd, and I want to smack the books out of this guy's hands.

YOU LIKE DICTIONARIES NERD. DO YOU LIKE THEM IN THE GROUND. YEAH. DEFINE THAT.

duckroll

Regarding the Garo movie, one thing I really noticed is how influenced the action is by Marvel live action films. When Park said that he studied Marvel films for inspiration, he wasn't kidding. There's nothing that feels like a ripoff at all, but the general choreography and how set pieces are set up feels right out of an Avengers movie at times. The camera work is also very dynamic, sometimes too dynamic. Lol.

Fans of Emma and Spider-man will probably loooooooooove that one sequence in the middle of the film though. She just swings everywhere as the camera follows behind her and dodge debris and whatnot as the backgrounds go blazing by and then she starts fighting a big horror midway through the sequence and continues swinging and moving and the horror unleashes like a thousand rubbery arms which she dodges like an Itano Circus. The scene just flows on and on like it's a single cut. Really cool.

The CG animation team also did a fantastic job following Park's storyboards for the scenes with tons of Garo action. Aside from the LOL final action sequence which looks like a FF Summon battle, they also worked a ton on the crazy battle on a lake where 3 Makai Knights are all on their horses and basically jetskiing over the lake as they fight 2v1, and they use everything from swords, projectiles, to chains, etc. It was nuts.

Lain

Magical Girl Raising Project 1-10

This felt like a sort of weaker Madoka Magika initially to me. Not much subtlety about the darkness lurking, no widefaces, no peculiar art.
First few episode were fine though and then shit hits the fan and
they start killing each other
and it started to piss me off. The more the show progressed, the more pissed off I got. Unlike in Madoka, most of the magical girls are simply awful human beings through and through and you're forced to watch the few nice ones either acting pathetically (
Snow White
) or getting taken out with cheap tricks (
Winterperson, Topspeed, Hardgore Alice
) and the reason is just that
one asshole decided to change the rules because she likes fighting
I need to see how this ends but it gets a meh overall.

Is Blue Exorcist worth a binge watch to jump into S2?
It is worth a watch, but half of it is original content that's going to be made completely irrelevant since it's going to start back as if that original second half never happened. But you should watch it, it's fun.
watch it

Also the arc season 2 is going to cover is really really good.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 36

Say what you want about this episode but next week's preview text brought me mad hype, especially as it happens after such omnious music and Kira's seemingly
unbeatable position.

Diamond is Unbreakable indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom