• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hagane Orchestra 1-9
This is a three minute short led by Doga Kobo vet Oota about some dumb mech building mobile game. The premise of the show does not really extend beyond the characters advertising their own game, so the fourth wall is pretty much broken from the outset. The humor does not really make attempts to be clever or witty, the show simply wallows in how blatant it is as advertising material and hopes you'll find amusement out of it. This is done by Fanworks studio so it looks awful most of the time, though the 2D mech stuff is well realized and moves decently. For some reason characters regularly have green outlines like that awful Flying Witch opening. Not a lot of VA talent on the project, and one episode is entirely about vocaloids poorly voicing NEET side characters. If you watch this for whatever reason stick around for the end cards, which often feature latte art.

Cornbread78

March Comes in like a Lion 08

Kiriyama should win. It's an obvious thing to do but given his apathy towards himself, it may not be that easy.

As much as I find her actions spiteful, the entire scene involving her was really well done.

Spiteful isn't even the word for it. Evil is more like it....

Look what she is trying to do to him..

Line_HTX

Oh fuck oh shit

Singapore Airlines has Your Name available on their in flight movie selection! English subbed!

Debating if I should watch it on my flight home on an 8 inch screen in SD quality or wait until its out in Blu ray. My thirst for this movie is ridiculous though and Im super tempted...

SA also has a few other anime movies like Wolf Children, Boy and the Beast and Summer Wars to name a few.

Double dip, watch it on the flight and watch it again on BD release!

:p

Oh fuck oh shit

Singapore Airlines has Your Name available on their in flight movie selection! English subbed!

Debating if I should watch it on my flight home on an 8 inch screen in SD quality or wait until its out in Blu ray. My thirst for this movie is ridiculous though and Im super tempted...

SA also has a few other anime movies like Wolf Children, Boy and the Beast and Summer Wars to name a few.

No Accel World? :(

Why do exotic airlines like that one and also Emirates have such lavish and to die for amenities, while we here in America are stuck with the third rate quality of Delta airlines :( Its so unfair.

Thud

Oh fuck oh shit

Would be an amazing name for anime.

Oh fuck oh shit

Puzzle anime always sound so good. I cant wait

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...daptation-of-smartphone-puzzle-rpg-18-in-2017

Cy6-oKFXAAAyRF7.jpg:large

Joe Molotov

I got caught up on Flip Flappers this weekend. I was afraid this series was gonna go to some dark, Madoka-esque places, but I'm glad that it's remained fairly upbeat and fun, and now the path is clear for
Yayaka to join Flip Flap.
BTW, I loved the Fist of the North Star episode, haha.

Oh fuck oh shit

Should have watched it in theatres in Japan first and then watched it on the plane ;P

blurr

The Great Passage 08

I appreciate the time skip frankly, I had my fill of the drama in the first half of it which was good for most of the part.

The new employee is refreshing but I have no idea where this will head now.

Animation dropped a bit at one scene(where Kishibe stretches after cleaning up) but there were moments of good hand animation. I don't see the degree of character animation I witnessed in the first three episodes which is a bit of a bummer for me, it held a good part of the appeal the show had.

her head enlarged a bit in this one frame

Man just thinking about what is coming in 2017 in term of great shonen stuff, it's gonna be insane for any fan.

We have MHA S2, BBB reboot or S2, Seven deadly Sins seaosn 2, Code geass return, A new season of Blue exorcist, possibly Black Clover and maybe OPM s2

And that's from stuff I already know I'll like and of the top of my head...INSANE.

I'm still all pumped up from that MHA chapter I need some places to let it out.

The Great Passage 08

I appreciate the time skip frankly, I had my fill of the drama in the first half of it which was good for most of the part.

The new employee is refreshing but I have no idea where this will head now.

Animation dropped a bit at one scene(where Kishibe stretches after cleaning up) but there were moments of good hand animation. I don't see the degree of character animation I witnessed in the first three episodes which is a bit of a bummer for me, it held a good part of the appeal the show had.

While the animation in this episode wasn't perfectly polished, I agree more with what Jexhius wrote:

[The Great Passage] - 8

The animation in this episode was head and shoulders above the show's normal standards which is really saying something because this series already has excellent character animation.

blurr

Hm, I look forward to good sequences every episode since the 3rd but I can't seem to find it as impressive, consistently at least. I guess that's just me.

However, I would like to read on the details of this episode's animation/difference from the usual to see if there's a perspective I'm missing out on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder how Garo anime season 3 will go I'm guessing it'll be another setting, but the second season was so bad and I don't think not-Spain can be beat as a setting for this series as it fits so well. Doesn't help that the second season had a completely different tone to the first. Honestly I feel like season where Leon is in a mentor role would work quite well. There's plenty of stories you can tell in such a universe as gar was always largely episode and focusing largely on character development. Mendoza played a nice season villain but there's plenty of other sorts of stories you can tell.

phaze

The infamous 'chaos strategy' from Toshio "Otaking" Okada putting some work! Although it is worth pointing out that most of the themes and shifts of the project's tone weren't necessarily conceived linearly during development struggles as the project went on; in fact, the plot of the last OVA was the main idea around which it was necessary to construct the rest of the screenplay, and... well, everyone had its own take on what the project should really be:

https://www.gwern.net/docs/eva/1996-animerica-conscience-otaking#page-24-1
Enlightening as always, thanks.

Heso Forte!
You know Oumae, you really are*
Sound Euphonium 09
Yeah that was real nice. Enjoyed Asuka's backstory and her talk with Oumae a lot. Though those foreboding shots of the former seem like a dramatic overkill given what we've learned of her past here. Also, everyone salivating over Kumiko's apparent talk no jutsu abilities left me as befuddled as she herself was since I really don't remember much in that regard from her. Oboe drama queen crisis was solved without any of her input, so was the trumpet rivalry from the previous season IIRC.

Natsuki can't possibly get any bester.

Ajin 08
I'm finding this season lackluster compared to the previous one but at last it seems the long staved off clash of Satou and Nagai is here. That
EMP
made me think he had a nuke or at least some kind of biological weapon.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Enlightening as always, thanks.

You know Oumae, you really are*
Sound Euphonium 09

Yeah that was real nice. Enjoyed Asuka's backstory and her talk with Oumae a lot. Though those foreboding shots of the former seem like a dramatic overkill given what we've learned of her past here. Also, everyone salivating over Kumiko's apparent talk no jutsu abilities left me as befuddled as she herself was since I really don't remember much in that regard from her. Oboe drama queen crisis was solved without any of her input, so was the trumpet rivalry from the previous season IIRC.

Natsuki can't possibly get any bester.

Ajin 08
I'm finding this season lackluster compared to the previous one but at last it seems the long staved off clash of Satou and Nagai is here. That
EMP
made me think he had a nuke or at least some kind of biological weapon.
Isn't the new season of the Anime basically anime only. I'm quite liking where the manga is currently so it's a shame that the anime isn't following it.

phaze

Loved that bit.

Isn't the new season of the Anime basically anime only. I'm quite liking where the manga is currently so it's a shame that the anime isn't following it.

It is ? First I've heard of it really but I haven't payed any attention to production and adaptation stuff.

Sangatsu no Lion 08

It's nice to finally have a show that accurately portrays familial love and bonds between siblings.

Man just thinking about what is coming in 2017 in term of great shonen stuff, it's gonna be insane for any fan.

We have MHA S2, BBB reboot or S2, Seven deadly Sins seaosn 2, Code geass return, A new season of Blue exorcist, possibly Black Clover and maybe OPM s2

And that's from stuff I already know I'll like and of the top of my head...INSANE.

I wonder if we will get a Promised Neverland anime in 2017.
event ova

Hm, I look forward to good sequences every episode since the 3rd but I can't seem to find it as impressive, consistently at least. I guess that's just me.

However, I would like to read on the details of this episode's animation/difference from the usual to see if there's a perspective I'm missing out on.

I think this episode was a major dip in visual quality. There was good 'motion' and I was for instance delighted when Majime's glasses slipped while bowing, but at the same time many of these bits suffered from too much off-model animation for my taste. Additionally, some of it was slightly choppy.

Lastly, some of the shots were downright ugly to a degree that even episode 4 didn't really lower itself to.

To post my previous example:
8NBZM4u.jpg

That is fucking ugly. Period.

I therefore simply cannot praise that episode's animation when there were too many trade-offs. In fact, I did the opposite *shrugs*

phaze

Fafner 08

I wanted to complain about Kasugai straying further into the comical territory but there was like; an ounce of interesting intrigue, actual plot progression and an evil shota (?), half naked one to boot, so I won't.

I was worried you were dropping your counter. Bueno.

There's actually less of that than I thought I remember from my first attempt at watching this. I blame the first episode where there was 5 and most of them in rapid succession iirc.

Jex

Y'all literally wrong about The Great Passage ep 8.

Here's some facts:

- Posting random stills isn't relevant, especially when you're discussing animation.
- Neither is saying something if "off-model" - that's the same avenue of argument that people make when they want to whine about the Pain fight in Naruto. It's not what we're talking about.
- We're talking about animation, which means we're talking about how things move, how that's conveyed to the audience, and what feelings or impressions that movement illicit within you.

There are plenty of individual pieces of animation in The Great Passage 8 that really convey a lot of information to the audience.

How about Majime's nervous panic? This is the most senior lead on a project that's being running over a decade, and yet he's still fundamentally the same character that we met at the start of the series, and this short scene is all you need to see that:

panicyyqrj.gif

Or how about this scene at the 'Welcoming Party'? How better to convey the struggle Kishibe has when Majime confronts her with information that doesn't mesh with her world-view. She literally has to bolt like a frightened animal:

running2cqnt.gif

Or even this small scene discussing how important it is to have correct paper in a dictionary. I think there's something pretty fundamental that we all experience when we physically manipulate 'good' paper in a magazine or book - it just 'feels' right. But how to convey that in animation? Or, more importantly, how to convey paper that fails to reach that standard? Again, the animation in this episode comes through beautifully in capturing these micro-details:

stickynessj8qfr.gif

zulux21

you are only going to have code geass recap movie(s)
a true return to code geass won't be until 2018 or 2019 so I wouldn't even bother counting it since recap movies are rather meh :/

Qurupeke

Gunbuster END

Good god, the final episodes felt so much different to the start. Fantastic, over the top action and some very interesting themes.
Really liked their use of time difference because of space travelling. The show turned out to be really melancholic but I LOVED the ending. Just perfect.
That black and white final episode was certainly... something. I guess I shouldn't expect a normal ending on a show Hideaki Anno is directing. Loved it nonetheless, quite a bizarre choice.

Time for Diebuster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom