• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Maybe someone who understands Japanese can chime in on that.

Kumiko said "もう奥さん…いないんだよ", which was correctly translated as "But he doesn't have a wife anymore".

So, yeah...

Back to actually discussing Eupho S2, and while I'm still enjoying it somewhat, I agree that the drama feels like too much at times. The weirdest thing is that each arc has a character confronting an issue of theirs, and how said personal issues often end up dragging the rest of the club down as everybody is too concerned with whoever's hurting at the time to perform at the top of their game... however, everybody's somehow even better than before as soon as things get sorted out, such as in how Asuka was supposedly rusty after skipping out on band practice for a while, but insisted she'd be back in full swing for their next practice.

Joe Molotov

Jarmel didn't even include the kicker line that happens right afterwards:

wjd2sOP.gif

Jarmel

Banned
I want to believe...but I can't.

It's very plausible that they had a better production schedule for S2 considering they were probably working on it for most of the past year. Of course it's also a PV and the show might look like shit otherwise.

However even the non-crazy animator sakuga moments seem like they have more shading/line work like the cut with Mineta looks 'rougher' (in a positive sense).

convo

Diamond is Unbreakable 38
What I hope to see next episode:

Glad the production recovered for such a fantastic conclusion.

Anime studios reserving money and staff for the final episodes is just common practice i would think. Though i am sure people can give an overwhelming amount of counter examples.

Moaradin

Anime studios reserving money and staff for the final episodes is just common practice i would think. Though i am sure people can give an overwhelming amount of counter examples.

Yeah, the last season of JoJo lol. The World had a lot of production issues unfortunately. Glad the final fight in DiU has been great in that department.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: NExt Episode 5 [engDub]
Cz2cP0cXUAEE4fi.jpg:small

Lightning of Triumphant Return, Reseph was best new card in these two Anri cardfights. Could have had more Shion, but Anri works on hlpping us review how to play vanguard. Great va work from Shion actor at convincing Ren.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm slightly busy watching a bad movie right now so this'll be brief but MHA S2 does seem to look better than S1.

Tokoyami's Dark Shadow has some sketchy drawn-on texture that gives it a more supernatural look.I don't remember if the anime showed his Dark Shadow previously but it is in line with the manga.

The effects animation seems to generally be better. There also looks to be impact frames, something the first season was sorely missing.

The character models seem to have more corrections and overall look better.
You can tell Umakoshi did a lot of corrections.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If Shirobako is to be believed time management in anime is worse than it is in video games. At least in video games you can generally push stuff back a month, maybe a year, maybe 10, to "get it right". In anime you either make the broadcast date or not at all, and release the last episode as an OVA some indefinite time later.

duckroll

If Shirobako is to be believed time management in anime is worse than it is in video games. At least in video games you can generally push stuff back a month, maybe a year, maybe 10, to "get it right". In anime you either make the broadcast date or not at all, and release the last episode as an OVA some indefinite time later.

That's not always true though. I feel this is a dishonest comparison. There are tons of videogames where you have to make the deadline or not at all. Studios get closed, games get canned, things get released half finished and patched later. In the same way, *some* anime shows can get delayed until they fix stuff. We've seen that with both big shows (Madoka, GuP, BBB) and small shows (Regalia).

JulianImp

Jarmel didn't even include the kicker line that happens right afterwards:

Wait what? I think my brain was too busy rebooting after having heard the previous line to even notice that... Like, Kumiko teasing Reina about not having her play for Taki's sake was okay in a way, but I was honestly not expecting her to actually add fuel to the fire.

If it were some corny romcom I'd be calling for an OVA where Kumiko schemes and fails to lock Taki and Reina up somewhere so that they could "talk things out", but here it seems out of place and creepy as well. Saying "I'll be cheering for you" right after telling Reina that Taki's wife is dead makes it way too hard for me to interpret it as anything but "I'll be supporting your romantic advances on Taki... he's free, after all!", which is just... not right at all.

I thought Euphonium was about music with a dash of girls friendship. Was I mistaken?

S1 was mostly that, but S2 has been focusing more on individual band member's personal issues that, once solved, lead to the band playing even better. Reina had always had a crush on Taki, but the latest episode made it seem like it was a bit more than just a platonic kind of thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's not always true though. I feel this is a dishonest comparison. There are tons of videogames where you have to make the deadline or not at all. Studios get closed, games get canned, things get released half finished and patched later. In the same way, *some* anime shows can get delayed until they fix stuff. We've seen that with both big shows (Madoka, GuP, BBB) and small shows (Regalia).

Oh definitely. I was thinkin of this as I wrote. I just feel deadlines are more flexible in video games than in anime.

JulianImp

Oh definitely. I was thinkin of this as I wrote. I just feel deadlines are more flexible in video games than in anime.

I think a more apt comparison would be anime movies, since games don't have a serialized model unlike anime. Deadlines are often tightly related to budgets (since every extra month spent in development means an extra month's worth of sallaries the studio will have to pay), and there are several unescapable deadlines such as releasing things in time for Christmas season, console launches or even releasing stuff before a console falls out of grace and its market dries up.

But even then, anime movies can get shelved for a while and still have some of the original work preseved, while delaying a game too long could result in having to rework it from the ground up for a newer console, engine or technology (Duke Nukem Forever says hi).

Also, the game industry being infamous for its crunch times kind of speaks volumes about how deadlines often have to be met at all costs, so...

Puruzi

Banned
The two most important fights in MHA S2 had better be complete sakuga fests. If they aren't I'll

probably not do anything. Get mad i guess.

Wait what? I think my brain was too busy rebooting after having heard the previous line to even notice that...

Was wondering how that didn't stand out that much to me (when I was even complaining about related stuff in my impressions) but I just recalled trying out the new Dota 2 update against AI when watching that episode's first half on the side. Paying not as much attention and giving KyoAni the benefit of a doubt let this sorta pass by me.

So, is Kumiko legit rooting for them? u w0t girl

inbefore next episode "you should try getting impregnated by him, then he'll have no choice!"

blurr

MHA S2 hype!!!!

I haven't seen latest Euphonium yet but looking at screenshots I can see where it is heading to lol.

me rn

duckroll

I would say the real difference is probably that TV anime is scheduled to come out every season. So every 3 months you have like 30-40 new shows starting up and most must air in that window. Meanwhile games are retail releases which aren't bound to seasons or whatever. It might be a better idea to compare games to anime OVAs and movies I think?

RedSwirl

I'm trying to re-watch RahXephon and still don't understand a god damn thing about it.

I think what's frustrating me so much are two things: 1) I'm completely unable to understand the main protagonist because throughout the show you never really know who or what he is. 2) The same actually applies to the main antagonist(s), except the viewer also doesn't really know what their goals are. 3) Most of the main cast already seems to have this information the audience doesn't. I am three episodes from the end and this show continues to string along the audience for as long as possible.

Jesus. Even Eva wasn't this cryptic.

I'm trying to re-watch RahXephon and still don't understand a god damn thing about it.

I think what's frustrating me so much are two things: 1) I'm completely unable to understand the main protagonist because throughout the show you never really know who or what he is. 2) The same actually applies to the main antagonist(s), except the viewer also doesn't really know what their goals are. 3) Most of the main cast already seems to have this information the audience doesn't. I am three episodes from the end and this show continues to string along the audience for as long as possible.

Jesus. Even Eva wasn't this cryptic.

The main plot in Eva was fairly straight forward even for the most part.

I agree with all your points. The main character's characterization seemed particularly weak to me and I couldn't get myself to care for him.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 36

More Wixoss levels of despair. Now with explicit threats of expulsion if Yume isn't good enough. Harsh headmaster. At least Yume's friends realized how ridiculous that was. Some reassurance from Hotaru, the first victim. Sucks for her that she didn't realize the danger until it was too late. Thankfully they are working to make sure it doesn't happen again. Looks like Subaru does have feelings for Yume. Ako is gonna be pissed. I didn't expect Starjet to have a sweets themed stage. Brief moment of panic when it looked like the power was activating again, but I guess she managed to suppress it and still come out on top. Well, that's the end of that drama.Unless Yume starts to think that the only way she can make it to S4 is with the power. But that's a future issue. Next up is Christmas with Aikatsu, and that means axes. Idols with dangerous axes.

MSMrRound

So is Euphonium S2 bad?

Ditto to Thoraxes' response. It's still one of my favourite series from this season.

Quality animation, superb voice acting, ayamda thighs.

Just that the writing here and there might have been a little shoddy...

Personally would have liked them to show us a bit of the interaction between Taki sensei and his wife from his younger days, with Reina's puppy love being given a lesser priority.

What I didn't like about the past episode was that Reina's situation was resolved too abruptly. I did like the mirroring between the past episode and Eupho's S1ep8.

Quasar

DanMachi OVA - Well that was a thing. Good use of pillows. Bummed we aren't getting S2 it appears and just the spinoff. Guess I need to get to the books that are in my stack..

Qurupeke

I'm slightly busy watching a bad movie right now so this'll be brief but MHA S2 does seem to look better than S1.

Tokoyami's Dark Shadow has some sketchy drawn-on texture that gives it a more supernatural look.I don't remember if the anime showed his Dark Shadow previously but it is in line with the manga.

The effects animation seems to generally be better. There also looks to be impact frames, something the first season was sorely missing.

The character models seem to have more corrections and overall look better.

You can tell Umakoshi did a lot of corrections.

It's also worth mentioning that they're adapting more chapters than S1, so we can probably expect a better pacing. Hey, maybe there's really hope after all.

phaze

Asuka was right. Kumiko is a horrible person.

That's why she's so great !

And that line seemed to be to me much more about clearing the misunderstanding Reina had, that Taki had a wife and Kumiko knew but didn't tell her. There was really no way of broaching such subject in a deft manner given the situation.

<silently omits Kumiko's endorsement>
---
And I have to say I didn't mind the last episode. Reina's issues were there from day uhhh 04 and it's good it's finally been dealt with in some manner and not just left out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom