• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

My Hero Academia Season 2 PV2

Looks great. Hopefully Bones goes all out with the fights.

Friendly reminder that PVs are bunch of lies.

Also that didn't look very much like an improvement to me. Way too short scenes too discern any prolonged bout of quality and nothing you couldn't make out of S1 scenes.

@shonenjump
Live-Action Hollywood movie for Naruto announced! From Lionsgate, Michael Gracey directing.

zobkstp1xshd.gif

Exalted

Drifters 9-11

With only one more episode i doubt there will even be a somewhat half satisfying ending, the story feels like it is just starting. Would be kinda fitting for the mess that is this show. So much wasted potential.

Haikyuu S3 End

A nice ending to the season, but as a whole i didn't enjoy S3 as much as S2. The entire season being just this one match just wasn't that exciting.

Exalted

What's the opinion on 3-gatsu no Lion, i'm quite a few episodes behind, and wondering if it's worth catching up? Did it get more interesting?

Szadek

Drifters 9-11

With only one more episode i doubt there will even be a somewhat half satisfying ending, the story feels like it is just starting. Would be kinda fitting for the mess that is this show. So much wasted potential.
We could have gotten much further if half of the show wasn't these stupid comedy skits.

Gintama 299

First half was funny with the stupid swords. Second half was a nice Tama episode.

Oh shit can't wait for the Shogun arc.

Friendly reminder that PV's are bunch of lies.

Also that didn't look very much like an improvement to me. Way too short scenes too discern any prolonged bout of quality and nothing you couldn't make out of S1 scenes.

zobkstp1xshd.gif

You must be happy about more Naruto being animated. Well technically Boruto being animated to be exact.

It never ends.

Szadek

May I suggest a Let's Watch for "Yuki Yuna is a Hero"?
Probably not right now, since it's Christmas time and shit, but for the beginning of 2017.

I think it's a good pick since season 2 is coming soon ,I don't think that many people here have seen it yet and it's on crunchyroll.

Qurupeke

May I suggest a Let's Watch for "Yuki Yuna is a Hero"?
Probably not right now, since it's Christmas time and shit, but for the beginning of 2017.

I think it's a good pick since season 2 is coming soon ,I don't think that many people here have seen it yet and it's on crunchyroll.

I'm in.

Okay what is this Code Geass season 3 I'm hearing.

Is it bullshit?

Also a new season of An No Exorcist and Gintama have been announced. What? I honestly don't know where I have been.

zulux21

Wtf I haven't even started on season 2.

I guess it gives me more of a reason to catch up. Did they announce when it will air?

no air date for code geass season 3.

given they are planning on doing 3 recap movies it most likely won't be until 2018 or 2019. aka you have some time.

heck you could just wait and watch the movies as they are supposed to have some added scenes to connect to the new season.

in other thoughts, randomly put on the original tenchi muyo ova's... I forgot how bad tenchi's voice acting was in the dub lol.

zulux21

oh hey... when did funimation add closed captions to their site for dubs.

I wonder if it will be added to the apps as well. As they really make it easier to watch stuff late night with the tv turned down.

TrueBlue

So is Euphonium S2 bad?

I wouldn't say so, it's just disappointing when compared to Season 1.

It has a lot of moments that, while great on their own, don't feel properly supported by the scenes that preceded them - rough pacing and disproportionate melodrama serve to himder the series rather than help it.

The last couple of episodes - not counting 11 since I haven't watched it yet - are great examples of this. They manage to bring closure to arcs in a satisfying and engaging way, but the development of said arcs is haphazard, which robs these moments of some of their heft.

There's still a lot to like though. The show is still an audio-visual treat, and the VA is magnificent. The characters are still fun to watch as well, and Kumiko is mostly an excellent and unique lead.

Mailbox

Its weird how only when I study for finals did I make time to actually watch anime this semester... huh... Finals finally finished. Hizzah.

Anyway, over the last 2 weeks I've rewatched all of Working!! and caught up to www.working (that episode 11 was weird...). Watched a few little things on the side that aren't of note tbh.

I also watched all of ouran highschool host club, which I enjoyed much more than I expected, mostly because it wasn't the full on reverse harem I expected it to be and it also didn't treat its secret as some end all be all dumb shit, which was nice. It also didn't shy away from making fun of itself and just having fun with the art style and the presentation and the camera work. Its something you don't seen nearly as well done in most shows nowadays, which is a bit of a shame. That being said, I disliked some of the characters, Honey was extremely annoying beyond belief, and that character who always comes out of the floor on a platform I probably could have done without. But otherwise it had a pretty solid cast that I enjoyed enough to have 26 episode of them. And much to anime tradition, a blue-balled ending where most everything isn't really resolved happens here too.

It was enjoyable.

Now that I'm free from studies for the next 2 weeks, I'll be catching up on some stuff :)

so... what thread drama did I miss this time?

MSMrRound

I also watched all of ouran highschool host club, which I enjoyed much more than I expected, mostly because it wasn't the full on reverse harem I expected it to be and it also didn't treat its secret as some end all be all dumb shit, which was nice.

That being said, I disliked some of the characters, that character who always comes out of the floor on a platform

b6797a78bd697d8c60c3bab396193d03.jpg

OH-HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!!

Yea, Ouran High School Host Club was very refreshing to watch.

A new Boruto anime in April? Nice! I like Boruto! But man April will be jam packed with good stuff!

All they need to finish this Jump festa in an even more amazing way is to give me my Black Clover anime.

Man I love JUMP, so many fun series.

JulianImp

That's why she's so great !

And that line seemed to be to me much more about clearing the misunderstanding Reina had, that Taki had a wife and Kumiko knew but didn't tell her. There was really no way of broaching such subject in a deft manner given the situation.

<silently omits Kumiko's endorsement>
---
And I have to say I didn't mind the last episode. Reina's issues were there from day uhhh 04 and it's good it's finally been dealt with in some manner and not just left out there.

I kind of envisioned Reina's crush over Taki as a platonic one, and even given her no-nonsense attitude I had managed to rationalize most of her exchanges with Kumiko as deep admiration more than actual romantic feelings for him. The punchline really was Kumiko's vow of support, since even up to Reina's crying you could chalk it up to her just caring that much about Taki's misfortune rather than her being actually happy that he wasn't, uh... "taken".

Kumiko could've not said anything, or even said something more subtle/ambiguous if she wanted to comfort or reassure her, but having her say "I'll be rooting for you" in such a delicate situation made it seem like she was openly supporting Reina's romantic pursuit of Taki, which was wrong on so many levels it wasn't even funny. Then Reina even went as far as to pry about his wife, and later about her grave's location in order to visit it herself, making it harder to justify that she merely admired the guy, since it honestly seemed like she was trying to learn whether she could match up to his late wife by then.

Kiss Him, Not Me Episode 11 – Forward! Guard the Castle!
Cz4Z8X2WgAANQTX.jpg:small

Shino running to his Nana during this moment is the best. I like how their bond has strengthened these past episodes.

Silly plot with the brother,those Nana teasing never gets old especially now that people will think Nana and Iga are together lol.

Cornbread78

What's the opinion on 3-gatsu no Lion, i'm quite a few episodes behind, and wondering if it's worth catching up? Did it get more interesting?

I like it, but it definately has some big flaws. The tone does jump all over the place, which is only minor to me, but has been driving people crazy. The art has been consistent with the artist style, the characters have been pretty good, but tbe story has been a slow burn.

I've still been enjoying it.

Szadek

I will wait until 3-gatsu no Lion is over.
If the show gets better then I will get back to it, but if it stays like this or gets worse I won't bother with the rest of the anime.

I think the tonal shifts are worse than Your Lie in April's personally. Idk about others but yeah. If you liked that show MAYBE you will like this one? I for one though can't stand how the show keeps hopping from serious to funny (heck it's not even funny, maybe cheery?). You will often have something very cool happening and taking off from a development perspective to only land on a terrible joke or gag. Oh and those talking cats need to fucking go. Sorry Narag
not sorry

Bloodivores Episode 12 [END]

Well ignoring how inconclusive and how little anything was answered at the end, it was a fairly good ride of an anime. I loved the powers especially Miu Liu as well as the continuing mystery of Aori and what not. I wish we did get an answer as to what this place was, who or how these creatures formed, and more on the purpose they kept sprinkling details about.

8/10

I back this up, the tournament arc is fantastic! Even after that it just goes up and up.

Only part of the story I'm not familiar with at this point since US Shonen Jump hopped in at the end of it. Really excited to finally fill in the gap.

Rogue One

Hey that's a lot better than SW7(aka SW4 remaster).

Well that's good to hear, as someone who was very 'meh' on SW7 that gives me *puts on sun glasses* A New Hope.

I'll see myself out.

Thud

Watch it when it's over. Shifts feel out of place per episode, but on a whole it might even out.

I started watching it because some shots really capture the feeling of the manga.

Only part of the story I'm not familiar with at this point since US Shonen Jump hopped in at the end of it. Really excited to finally fill in the gap.

You won't be disappointed! It's just fantastic and based on what the pv2 shows, the strong moments of it seems like they are going to be glorious.

Give me more MHA!!!

Maybe we can just skip the winter season and go straight to spring.

phaze

They started publishing it in the middle, without covering the earlier parts ?

Sicario

Anime levels of bullying the female MC.

blurr

Hm, I don't know if you could called it "more interesting" later on, this aspect is subjective. I really like the show visually through various visualizations depicting mental state, backgrounds or the color palette representing a mood, it sets in a great sense of atmosphere and I find the narrative intriguing in general. None of that has changed much since the beginning and those aspects are what appeal to me the most. If I had to point something out, it's the annoying high pitched CG cat song that plays during a few of episodes which are thankfully brief.

I do not however like its habit of verbal commentary of what is happening when it is already clear visually which has been the case since the beginning. So far that has been my only qualm.

Sicario

Terrific film, check out Arrival as well, same director.

Bubuki Buranki Episode 24 [END]

Well though it was kind of slow I liked that it explored the idea of what do you do in a post action battle type series after the battle ends and how can one return to the normalcy of life. For some they found joy in school while for others like A-chan it seemed boring or at least presented him with difficulty of embracing it. I kind of wish it was resolved rather than just taking off to fly straight ahead into the horizon, he will have to address that sometime. In any case it was fun.
Cz45UMBXEAEdOdJ.jpg:small

Bubuki Buranki END

It is somewhat amusing how in the end Guy was totally right. Azuma would find normal life after his globe trotting/saving adventures completely boring. Not a lot of shows get into that once the threat is over and everything is resolved and I appreciated this ending. It was bittersweet though
sure Azuma and his friends decided to find new adventures like Team USA, though not much seems to have changed with Kaoruko and that's awesome but Team Russia and Laetitia are still very much dead if there was any question regarding that and Raeko has lost all her memories and must stay confined in a facility all her life because she ruined so many lives that a lot of people want to kill her.

I see this show being in my top ten of the year for sure.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 12:

Man, Rei's backstory is pretty dark. He loses both of his parents, and then his brother gets kidnapped by Leviathan, and it's pretty much all Rei's fault for his curiosity getting the better of him, as well as him just being too hooked into the internet and not paying enough attention to the people around him. It's a much more serious story than anything we've seen so far. And this was a pretty agonizing episode in a few places. The scenes of Rei being tortured by Sakusimon were pretty brutal. Digimon doesn't normally put its human protagonists through that sort of thing.

The rest of the characters all coming together and then coming to Rei's aid was a great scene. We saw some real growth from everyone there, and I really enjoyed the way that whole scene was portrayed, between the shading used on Haru as he was walking, the music playing, and the way that everyone slowly came around and followed along. It all felt very true to their characters so far. And then that battle. Oh boy, it was great. One of the most intense battles yet, with quite an extended length. And seeing DoGatchmon and Raidramon app link and take out Sakusimon was pretty awesome. That last hit looked like it would have really hurt.

Every week I'm reminded more and more of how much I love this show. Next week looks great with it being a Christmas episode. It's nice that we'll be seeing Haru's friends again, and it seems like there might be some scenes about Haru's crush on Ai from the previews. And this will be Yuujin's first appearance since Episode 4.

Fuck I'm still shocked by Code Geass season 3.....

Like why would they make more? Granted I haven't finished the series so I don't have much of a standing, but judging by most posters it would be better if it didn't have a new season. Or am I wrong and people want more.

They started publishing it in the middle, without covering the earlier parts ?

Sicario

U.S. Shonen Jump has a habit of doing that. After they went digital and Bakuman ended they decided to try and start doing Jump Starts, basically where they translate the first few chapters of a new Shonen series and see if it sticks. Problem is they don't really have the manpower to translate more than a handful (I get the feeling piracy keeps U.S. Jump from really stabilizing all that well).

Anyway this means that of the Jump Starts they do translate even then only a couple get picked to continue full time with the magazine. And Western and Japanese sensibilities don't always align. So sometimes titles America is enjoying get canned in Japan.

So it first happened with Food Wars/Shokugeki, where they didn't even bother to localize it in the first place, they chose other manga to try with the west and all those ended up tanking. Sometime later they included the first chapter of Food Wars to drum up interest, and then again some time later they plunked us into the middle of that series Tournament arc, with just a few paragraphs to reintroduce the concept and current events.

And yeah, same thing happened with Academia. They didn't bother to Jump Start it when it first launched in Japan, sometime later they realized it too was a hit, printed the first chapter in the Magazine, and then threw readers into the Tournament Arc with again just a couple paragraphs to explain the basic gist. In both cases it was always in the final moments of the tournament, the last few match ups lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom