• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

scamander

Banned
It's worth noting that there were very few Yuri impressions this week compared to prior weeks in the thread - at least it seems that way to me. I haven't watched 11 yet, partly because I'd been a bit put off by the show's repetitive nature recently, and I'd wondered whether this was a common opinion.

I on the other hand just started watching the series, after someone posted a gif of it in another thread and loved it so much, that I binge-watched all 11 episodes. Can't wait for the finale to be honest and I really hope it'll get a second season.
Most of the time I don't bother with anime, because I feel constantly overwhelmed by the sheer amount that gets pushed out every year. So much of it is trash and I don't know how to find the good stuff (especially since often enough the good stuff isn't among the popular series)*. So I'm really glad some Gaffer decided to post that awesome gif of Yuuri doing the Eros (I think) in some non-anime thread, right when I was reading it. Thank you my friend, wherever you are right now. :p

*Last anime series I watched were Free, Your Lie in April, Ano Hana and One Punch Man btw. I know, it looks pretty slice-of-life-ish, but I like other genres as well (loved Monster and Cowboy Bebop for example). Series recommendations (old and new) or tips how to efficiently look for good anime are greatly appreciated. :)

Quasar

Magi - 1.01-1.05 - Clearly I have some time on my hands as I'm for some reason giving a shounen anime a chance. Kind of enjoying it so far. A good part of it probably is the setting. Aladdin as a magic using little kid is kind of weird. And I am kind of wondering why his djinn has no head and a instrument where his head would be. Especially now that I've seen another normal look djinn. Is that ever explained?

I on the other hand just started watching the series, after someone posted a gif of it in another thread and loved it so much, that I binge-watched all 11 episodes. Can't wait for the finale to be honest and I really hope it'll get a second season.
Most of the time I don't bother with anime, because I feel constantly overwhelmed by the sheer amount that gets pushed out every year. So much of it is trash and I don't know how to find the good stuff (especially since often enough the good stuff isn't among the popular series)*. So I'm really glad some Gaffer decided to post that awesome gif of Yuuri doing the Eros (I think) in some non-anime thread, right when I was reading it. Thank you my friend, wherever you are right now. :p

*Last anime series I watched were Free, Your Lie in April, Ano Hana and One Punch Man btw. I know, it looks pretty slice-of-life-ish, but I like other genres as well (loved Monster and Cowboy Bebop for example). Series recommendations (old and new) or tips how to efficiently look for good anime are greatly appreciated. :)

Yuri on Ice is wildly popular, probably the most commercially successful TV anime from this fall season worldwide, so your chances of getting a second season or something of that sort are quite good.

As far as finding good anime goes, one thing you can do is to look up who the creators of anime you enjoyed are and find out what other things they have done. So, if you are enjoying Yuri on Ice, it's worth knowing that Yuri on Ice is directed by Sayo Yamamoto, who previously directed Michiko and Hatchin and Lupin the IIIrd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Those shows aren't exactly like Yuri on Ice, so there's no guarantee that you'll like them depending on what exactly are the aspects of the show you like, but it's a good starting point.

For recommendations, there's a lot I could list but if you could describe a few things you look for in anime that would help narrow down a list tailored to your tastes specifically.

Izayoi

Banned
Where's a good place to get spoonfed?

I'm sorting through my brother's queue on Crunchyroll and found Bungo, which is pretty interesting.

Mostly been watching a lot of trash, though... I guess I just like shit, as long as it's well-animated.

Gimme dat budget.

Edit: I see that I'm not alone lol

Just T

Flip Flappers: 11

Hmmm, lot of stuff happened this episode. What a weird outcome.
Why did Mimi even flip like that and why did Papika appearance go backward and why is this the way the central plot is playing out.

There was discussion earlier of what everyone is going to see in the Winter and I realize that I am late to it, but I have sorta been scrambling all over the city and just got home. I wanted to sit down, go through my list, see if anything new had popped up or if my interest on anything had waned since I last looked at every show that is airing. So without further ado, this is it (for now):

Winter 2017

- Seiren
- Rakugo 2
- ACCA
- Chaos;Child (Can anyone tell me if a viewing of Chaos;Head is needed before going into this?)
- Konosuba 2
- Kuzu no Honkai
- Granblue Fantasy

Fall 2016 Leftovers

- Sangatsu (but I may drop this soon, idk)
- Gundam IBO2

Szadek

After watching episode 1 of Occultic;Nine , I' don't think I will borther with another Something;Whatever series.
Neither of them ,with the obvious exception Steins;Gate of course, which I have already seen, seems to be worhtwhile.

Exalted

- Chaos;Child (Can anyone tell me if a viewing of Chaos;Head is needed before going into
Dunno if it's needed but Chaos;Head is BAD , so i would not recommend watching that. Spare yourself from it since i couldn't. It's got an 6,6 rating on MAL for a reason.

As for my winter lineup, only really have 2 shows and Gundam S2 that i know i will watch.

Will watch :
- Konsuba S2
- Blue Blue Exorcist: S2
Will see how it is :
- Dragon Maid ( monster girls and maids)
-Little Witch Academia ( other people seem to like it)
-Masamune-kun no Revenge (could be a funny romcom judging from its synopsis)
-Fuuka ( looks like phantom world like of fun trash?)
-Youjo Senki (looks crazy, will have to see if it is the right kind )
-Granblue Fantasy The Animation (looks like it might have action?, which doesn't seem to be a lot this season)

I'm sorting through my brother's queue on Crunchyroll and found Bungo, which is pretty interesting.

Mostly been watching a lot of trash, though... I guess I just like shit, as long as it's well-animated.

Gimme dat budget.

Mob Psycho 100. Exceedingly well made and well written to boot

phaze

Rakugo
Kiznaiver
Uhh Thunderbolt Fantasy if you can stokach puppets (worth it)
Luluco
To Be Hero
Mob Psycho 100 (superb animation alert!)

are things worth checking out from this year without having to watch any previous stuff. Imo and all that obviously.

BluWacky

After watching episode 1 of Occultic;Nine , I' don't think I will borther with another Something;Whatever series.
Neither of them ,with the obvious exception Steins;Gate of course, which I have already seen, seems to be worhtwhile.

I don't really see that much difference between Steins;Gate and the other 5pb Science Adventures, if I'm honest. Robotics;Notes perhaps is slightly less offensive in how otaku-tastic it is, but all of them wrap potentially intriguing, harem-heavy premises and stories in the most irritatingly nerdy of characterisations.

At least Occultic;Nine is well made; Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate have fairly rubbish production design, and Robotics;Notes is the epitome of "bland" Production IG material.

Gimme dat budget.

Without much to go on I suggest

My Hero Academia
Hyouka
Tanaka-kun is listless
Seven Deadly Sins
Ajin
Concrete Revolutio
Haikyu
Poco's Udon World

I can go on if you want more, but at least look at those.

Yuri on Ice is wildly popular, probably the most commercially successful TV anime from this fall season worldwide, so your chances of getting a second season or something of that sort are quite good.

As far as finding good anime goes, one thing you can do is to look up who the creators of anime you enjoyed are and find out what other things they have done. So, if you are enjoying Yuri on Ice, it's worth knowing that Yuri on Ice is directed by Sayo Yamamoto, who previously directed Michiko and Hatchin and Lupin the IIIrd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Those shows aren't exactly like Yuri on Ice, so there's no guarantee that you'll like them depending on what exactly are the aspects of the show you like, but it's a good starting point.

For recommendations, there's a lot I could list but if you could describe a few things you look for in anime that would help narrow down a list tailored to your tastes specifically.

What would an s2 of Yuri on Ice even be about? Isnt Yuri in his final season anyway. I just cant see it getting more.

Dunno if it's needed but Chaos;Head is BAD , so i would not recommend watching that. Spare yourself from it since i couldn't. It's got an 6,6 rating on MAL for a reason.
That is exactly why I asked aha. This is one of the shows that I'm willing to give a shot, but may ultimately drop soon after.

The Great Passage - 10

Boy am I glad it all went okay. Not sure what that last shot meant, but I didn't like it.

I suggest

Glasslip
Guilty Crown
M3
Prince of Stride Alternative
Cheer Boys

That is exactly why I asked aha. This is one of the shows that I'm willing to give a shot, but may ultimately drop soon after.

The Great Passage - 10

Boy am I glad it all went okay. Not sure what that last shot meant, but I didn't like it.

I read somewhere that it is not necessary to watch Chaos;Head, but I really don't know enough myself to back the claim.

I suggest

Glasslip
Guilty Crown
M3
Cheer Boys
DTL about to claim another victim.

I read somewhere that it is not necessary to watch Chaos;Head, but I really don't know enough myself to back the claim.
I'm curious about it, but not enough to warrant watching the original. If I feel too lost or if I don't like what I am seeing, I will be out rather quickly seeing how much else I wanna watch. The less filler, the better.

I don't really see that much difference between Steins;Gate and the other 5pb Science Adventures, if I'm honest. Robotics;Notes perhaps is slightly less offensive in how otaku-tastic it is, but all of them wrap potentially intriguing, harem-heavy premises and stories in the most irritatingly nerdy of characterisations.

At least Occultic;Nine is well made; Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate have fairly rubbish production design, and Robotics;Notes is the epitome of "bland" Production IG material.

Occultic;Nine isn't actually part of the science adventure series.

Robotics;Notes felt the funnest, I dont see how it was bland, and that in anime anime was pretty cool.

I'm curious about it, but not enough to warrant watching the original. If I feel too lost or if I don't like what I am seeing, I will be out rather quickly seeing how much else I wanna watch. The less filler, the better.

Yea same here, I'm curious, but the artstyle kind of turns me off. So I'll give it a try, if I like it then good!

Also it's mostly because I liked Occultic;Nine a lot.

Chaos;Head is in the read the visual novel or don't bother category. I doubt the anime would even tell you much of use for Chaos:Child.

scamander

Banned

Really? I had no idea. Fingers are crossed. :D

Great, thanks, I'll check them out. Now that you said it, it seems really obvious to me, but I actually never thought about doing this!

That's tough, because I often have problems analysing and verbalising what exactly it is that I like about something, but I'll try.

With slice of life or drama the most important thing to me is that characters are interesting, complex and somewhat believable. I like it when the anime takes its time to establish real characters that grow as persons and have evolving relationships with each other. There's nothing worse to me than a shallow main character, who is defined by one exaggerated characteristic.
The same is true for other genres, even though the story itself may be somewhat more important depending on what kind of show it is. If that's the case the story should be deep, well thought out, without filler episodes and with good pacing. I don't like overly long action sequences that don't fulfil any purpose except looking cool, for example. There just should be a good flow I guess. The kind of setting and story isn't overly important as well, as long as its well thought out.

The one exception to all of this are pure comedy series, where basically anything goes, as long as its funny. In general I prefer more serious stuff, though.

Good animation is a plus of course, but not the most important part.

Rakugo
Kiznaiver
Uhh Thunderbolt Fantasy if you can stokach puppets (worth it)
Luluco
To Be Hero
Mob Psycho 100 (superb animation alert!)

are things worth checking out from this year without having to watch any previous stuff. Imo and all that obviously.

Without much to go on I suggest

My Hero Academia
Hyouka
Tanaka-kun is listless
Seven Deadly Sins
Ajin
Concrete Revolutio
Haikyu
Poco's Udon World

I can go on if you want more, but at least look at those.

I suggest

Glasslip
Guilty Crown
M3
Cheer Boys

Thanks to all of you; will check them out. :)

DTL about to claim another victim.

Guess I know which one to check out first. :D

Taruranto

With slice of life or drama the most important thing to me is that characters are interesting, complex and somewhat believable. I like it when the anime takes its time to establish real characters that grow as persons and have evolving relationships with each other. There's nothing worse to me than a shallow main character, who is defined by one exaggerated characteristic.
The same is true for other genres, even though the story itself may be somewhat more important depending on what kind of show it is. If that's the case the story should be deep, well thought out, without filler episodes and with good pacing. I don't like overly long action sequences that don't fulfil any purpose except looking cool, for example. There just should be a good flow I guess. The kind of setting and story isn't overly important as well, as long as its well thought out.

You could try Oofuri I guess.

Utena has also quite interesting characters and a fantastic lead, but it's also hella weird if you are not used to anime.

BluWacky

Occultic;Nine isn't actually part of the science adventure series.

Technically, of course, you are correct. Given the naming scheme, and that Chiyomaru Shikura himself said it was the fourth in a series when he published it, I'm still fairly comfortable lumping it in with them.

(I guess the game adaptation never came out?)

Jarmel

Banned
Yuri on Ice-11

Yea I found this to be pretty boring. JJ choking felt a little bullshit in that he suddenly falls apart despite having been to the Finals already.

The performances aren't really interesting when you've seen them 3+ times already.

Wanderer5

Sound! Euphonium S2 #11

mjVBHWC.png

Awwww, episode automatic 10/10 for this face!

Bleh not sure if I would call it bad, but I just don't really care for this drama with Reina, and it felt kind of creepy by the time the grave came in.:p

God just get to the nationals.

I have heard that, despite not featuring any recurring characters, the events and concepts from Chaos;Head pretty much form the entire backbone of its sequel. Of course, given how badly the anime butchered said events and concepts, I think it's reasonable to assume that the Chaos;Child anime will most likely try and work with the idea that most people will be going in blind.

And that's really for the best. Watching the Chaos;Head anime isn't really an option that I would suggest to anyone.

That's tough, because I often have problems analysing and verbalising what exactly it is that I like about something, but I'll try.

The one exception to all of this are pure comedy series, where basically anything goes, as long as its funny. In general I prefer more serious stuff, though.

Good animation is a plus of course, but not the most important part.

Alright, so prioritizing serious stories with complex characters, I will recommend the following anime for you:

Anne of Green Gables
Boogiepop Phantom
Concrete Revolutio
Dennou Coil
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Fafner (with a heavy caveat: you have to get through the really weak beginning of the first TV series before you the franchise begins steadily improving on itself until some really masterful work in Heaven and Earth and Exodus)
Fantastic Children
Fate/Zero
Gankutsuou
Garo the Animation
Gunslinger Girl S1
House of Five Leaves
Hunter X Hunter 1999
Hyouka
Kaiba
Majin Bone
Mob Psycho 100
Mushishi
Oniisama e
Ping Pong the Animation
ReLIFE
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Silver Spoon
Skull Man
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Time of Eve
Tsuritama
Wolf's Rain
Yona of the Dawn

That should be a good starting point.

Guess I know which one to check out first. :D

I'll just warn you that DTL has highly idiosyncratic tastes centered around yaoi, and a number of the recommendations he tends to give have few if any other fans, such as M3 or Cheer Boys. So approach the suggestions he gives with caution.

So My Hero Academia was apparently confirmed for April, and we're getting another preview soon.

Key visual for the new season of Blood Blockade Battlefront.
My heart skipped a beat seeing that pic, yeeaaaaaaaa bring me my My Hero Academia S2!!!!

MAN, I really like how fun and colorful MHA's cast is! It's so good!

Sound Euphonium S2 7

The scene with Asuka's mother was wildly melodramatic. She comes across as dangerously unstable to the point where I fear to see what she acts like at home.

Haruka's speech to the band later on was excellent though. I like the strength of character she showed. I also appreciate the incorporation of the station concert as a way to bring in facets of ensemble performance that aren't competition-oriented. It also allowed for an entertaining jazz style performance depiction.

Quasar

Sound Euphonium S2 7

The scene with Asuka's mother was wildly melodramatic. She comes across as dangerously unstable to the point where I fear to see what she acts like at home.

It did make me wonder about parental physical discipline in Japan given the openness of it and how common it seems to be in anime/manga. And in korean comics for that matter.

From my own Australian childhood I cannot really imagine anything like that slap to a child in front of teachers like that. Of course if it did happen I'd think the child would retaliate/block the strike anyway.

Szadek

Right now seems to be a good to time to clear my on-hold list as well as to watch some other stuff as well.
My to-do list right now:
Try to finish/catch up to The Morose Mononokean and Twin Star Exorcists.
Give S2 of Bungou Stray Dogs a shot since it's supposed to be good.

Figure out if I should finish or drop Concrete Revolutio and Assassination Classroom, because I can't make up my mind about these shows.

As for Mahou Shoujo's:
Finish Cardcaptor Sakura and Sugar Sugar Rune.
After that focus more on Go! Princess Precure and also watch Lyrical Nanoha A's as well Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

That should keep me busy for a while.

Jarmel

Banned
Euphonium S2-11
uxOMyHS.jpg

when you want teacher to give you the D but he wont
I don't think this is the worst episode of the show despite what people seem to be claiming. This episode was a lot more angry than the rest of the series and so I found it to be kind of interesting in that regards. The scene where she's having a daydream/flashback and Taki snaps it out of her by clapping his hands is somewhat brutal due to the sound direction and voice acting. Even the throwback to S1 with the mountain scene works as there's a juxtaposition to the early event and now, where Reina is just pissed off at the world.
os8OAvf.jpg
Y0wigVx.jpg

*as she winks at Reina*
Wait did Kumiko just make it seem like a good thing that Taki's wife is dead? "Girl you gotta move in on that prime real estate". The material itself is fairly garbage but that's been the status quo for awhile. Half of this episode is Reina being mad that she possibly can't fuck her decade older teacher. I'm not sure if the other half is her coming to terms with it not happening or trying to figure out what Taki-sensei likes in his women. At this point I just want to get to the Nationals, which I feel the school should probably get blown out at this stage. Something my father says is, "Perfect practice makes perfect". In which case what sort of performance is a band that has been seemingly in near freefall for different reasons going to give? The show brushes it aside though by just having some stupid line about how the 'troubled' band member is now performing better suddenly, like Kumiko has been doing loyalty missions in a Bioware game and now the character has + stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom