• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

FFXV

Ending crushed me completely. Taby made me care so much for these characters that seeing the story's end left me with this huge sadness. Last time this happened was with Persona 4. I feel sad, yet I also feel great about this game. For all its shortcomings, it easily is my GOTY/AOTY and everything in the middle. This ranks pretty damn high on my FF favourites list. Noctis, Prompto, Ignis and Gladiolus are by far the closest I've gotten to any FF characters.
Man, the main cast of XV was probably like my least favorite of almost the whole series. Good that they ended up being good for you though. I disliked them enough that the ending actually made me happy.

Man, the main cast of XV was probably like my least favorite of almost the whole series. Good that they ended up being good for you though. I disliked them enough that the ending actually made me happy.
Goddamn lol, ruthless. Even XIII?! I thought they were some of the most likeable characters thus far in the series. It legitimately felt like they were bros.

AKB0048 3
cZ6tKi1.jpg
21clmQG.jpg
Oh god, I can't stop laughing. This is so ridiculous I can't help but enjoy it. Too bad it was all a trick though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who do i have to threaten at gunpoint for a Bokura no Hentai adaptation?

Thoraxes

You were happy that
everyone ended up dead?
Goddamn lol. Even XIII?! I thought they were some of the most likeable characters thus far in the series. It legitimately felt like they were bros.
I didn't really ever feel like their relationships were earned. We were just constantly told that they're bros by like 5 different people in game (which came across to me as contrived), but not really shown it much from the actual cast outside of a typical prince+retainers relationship.

The picture stuff with Prompto tried to go a long way to help push that together, but was ultimately a hollow endorsement of a sentiment never really shown/earned in the story. Only near the end of the game did I even feel a little bit of a sense of camaraderie. I didn't watch any of the trans-media stuff because I figured you know, character development would be in the game. They were just shallow, surface-level depictions of characters that only moved the needle a little bit at the very end of the game.

And yes, I liked the characters in XIII more. While they may not have had the best arcs/writing, they at least had an arc to their stories, and they forged their relationships instead of just having a guy monologue to you that you're supposed to be brothers.

I don't really know why, but XV just completely bounced off me real hard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Working

I'm not even sure how to deal with three ships sailing in 12 episodes. Like it never happens so I'm confused.

I really enjoyed this show and all of the dumb idiots in it and will be sad it's ending next week.

[Flip Flappers] - 10 & 11
The original series of 'FlipFlappers' ended around episode 8 or so. It's painfully obvious that the last few episodes share a completely different creative vision, and plot and even characters from everything that's come before. I've written extensively about shows being obviously re-written in the past, but signs in FlipFlappers are even more obvious than usual.
This is exactly how I feel right now:

I can see this conversation going on at studio Pablo vividly:
Director: OH SHIT! OUR LEAD WRITER IS GONE! BLU-RAY SALES ARE DOOMED! AND THE PROM'S TOMORROW! WHAT DO WE DO?
Producer: We initiate Plan E...
vangelion.
Director: What the Drumpf? That goes completely against the established themes of the show? How the hell are we going to win back fans with that?
Intern Artist: I made a new villain! She's hotter and edgier than Yayaka because her outfit is straight out of a hentai and she wields a baretta!
Director: WHAT THE F-
Producer: PERFECT! Nobody will care about anything else. Now we can get a slice of the Prisma Ilya crowd!

[cue shot showing the producer to be none other than
Kuzu-P from Girlish Number

Seeing the top comments on Crunchyroll praising this episode make me sick to my stomach.

jonjonaug

[Flip Flappers] - 10 & 11

This is exactly how I feel right now:

I can see this conversation going on at studio Pablo vividly:
Director: OH SHIT! OUR LEAD WRITER IS GONE! BLU-RAY SALES ARE DOOMED! AND THE PROM'S TOMORROW! WHAT DO WE DO?
Producer: We initiate Plan E...
vangelion.
Director: What the Drumpf? That goes completely against the established themes of the show? How the hell are we going to win back fans with that?
Intern Artist: I made a new villain! She's hotter and edgier than Yayaka because her outfit is straight out of a hentai and she wields a baretta!
Director: WHAT THE F-
Producer: PERFECT! Nobody will care about anything else. Now we can get a slice of the Prisma Ilya crowd!

[cue shot showing the producer to be none other than
Kuzu-P from Girlish Number

Seeing the top comments on Crunchyroll praising this episode make me sick to my stomach.

Eh, I think this was all clearly planned the whole time. But that doesn't mean it was a good plan.

phaze

Fafner 22
untitled-139fup7.png

At the rate this cast is succumbing to deathflags, maybe I'll get a new one for Exodus after all.

It was mentioned that the altered consciousness manifests in different ways for different pilots. None as drastic as turning hot-blooded like the helmet, but the other pilots have been shown taking drastic shifts from their regular behaviors, either going berserk, overly timid, or completely cold.

Tbh, I struggle to think of those as anything else but simple behaviors you exhibit when under pressure and stress of fighting for your life. Kazuki, Sakura, Kenji, Koyo, notHinata all retained their basic personalities. Ginger's calm demeanor might be such a change but she's a sniper away from the heat of the action. There's nothing remotely close to Goubain's blackouts.
(Sit tibi terra gravis)

Szadek

I just read the synopsis for Youjo Senki:
On the front lines of the war, there is a little girl. Blond hair, blue eyes, and porcelain white skin, she commands her squad with lisping voice. Her name is Tanya Degurechaff. But in reality, she is one of Japan's most elite salarymen, reborn as a little girl after angering a mysterious being who calls himself God. This little girl, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, will become the most dangerous being amongst the sorcerers of the imperial army.
Fucking what?

phaze

Dude, that movie is so freaking depressing. That ending is like, people suck, fuck you, the end.

So good.

Fafner 23
0jnivt8lbkhx.gif

Did they just kill off like, 8 named characters within 20 minutes ? That's kinda impressive turnover rate if nothing else.

RIP Michio,
you were pretty okay, thought you'd last a bit longer.

Szadek

Fukigen na Mononokean - Ep. 8-11
There really isn't too much about this show,
It's an alright youkai of the weak anime.
Outside of a very stand out episodes, it's alright, but not great.
The best part of the are the designs of the youkai, which are often CG, which actually works in this show favor.

Concrete Revolutio - Ep. 1
I have already seen a few episodes a while back, but I think the show deserve a fresh start.
Episode was already much better than I thought it was back when I watched for the first time.
I think I will finish it this time and might watch S2 as well.
So far there are many good reasons for me to watch the show as well as a some stupid ones (pink haired girl, magical girl).

SJRB

Gold Member
Hey guys, is this the resident anime thread? Because I just finished Fate/Zero and I have.. eh.. some questions.

Szadek

Hey guys, is this the resident anime thread? Because I just finished Fate/Zero and I have.. eh.. some questions.
Yes it is.

Someone here can probably tell you more about Fate/Zero.
The thing about Fate/Zero is that you are supposed to watch it after Stay Night.
Fortunately it mostly works as a stand alone story, but not everything is explained, since that stuff was already covered in SN.

phaze

If it's about Angra Mainyu and stuff, then a lot of it stems from prequel nature of F/Z and will supposedly be answered only in Fate Stay Night: Heaven's Feel movie. Which adopts the third route of the visual novel the whole series stems from.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yes it is.

Someone here can probably tell you more about Fate/Zero.
The thing about Fate/Zero is that you are supposed to watch it after Stay Night.
Fortunately it mostly works as a stand alone story, but not everything is explained, since that stuff was already covered in SN.

O, I guess that explains it because I haven't watched Stay Night yet.

I thought overall Fate/Zero was really great in many ways, but the last two or so episodes were so bizarre that it kinda lost me. I read some wiki stuff but I'm still not sure what is even going on. I'll just spoiler-tag the entire thing.

The premise alone is confusing to me. If there's a secret tournament over a wish-granting Grail every few years, how come the world isn't altered in any way? This was the 4th Grail War, so what happened to the wishes of the previous 3? How come nobody knows about this? And the church moderates and judges, but also doublecrosses everyone by taking part and even assassinating people. Who set up this tournament anyway? Who regulates this? At one moment there seem to be a ton of rules, and the next all rules are out the window and it's basically a free-for-all with people backstabbing each other left and right.

At the start I expected a proper tournament-style war, so I was kinda confused when most of it was ad-hoc battles in the streets.

So the Grail is omnipotent but can only provide solutions based on the winner's knowledge. Again - how does no one know this? How does the grail take form from Irisviel when she is part of one of the competing families?

Kiritsugu wins allegedly, but chooses to destroy the Grail, basically destroying the entire city and killing almost everyone. I guess his plan backfired? How did Gilgamesh also get his wish granted by getting a physical body even though he and his master lost, and how did Kirei become immortal [or undead, I'm not sure]. And is Saber in limbo or something?

It just seems to me that the Grail and its concept is just a huge troll device made to fuck with people, but for some reason nobody knows/realises this.

This may sound overly nitpicky, but like I said I really enjoyed this show quite a bit, I just want to understand it better. There are a lot of good characters and it looked awesome as well. I hope Stay Night has more Gilgamesh because I enjoyed his stuff the most.

Tanuki Noodles - 01-04.5

Run of the mill "genki kid lights up sullen guy's life" story. It's okay.

Not a fan of the art direction with the weird highlighting, and character design neither when I look at MC's toothy friend. In addition I'm not that interesting in genki kid characters to begin with and it sure as hell only gets worse when it's actually some shapeshifting tanuki spirit/god. The direction is entirely unremarkable, too.

It's this season's Amaama to Inazuma.

I'll stop at this point and rather continue Digimon Universe Appli.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 12

Everything did not go according to plan A or plan B or plan C. It was a bit of each.

I was expecting McGillis to face off mystery man but that went better than expected.

Iok moments were hilarious.

The Lunchbox

I had been putting this off for the longest time but I'm glad I got around to watch this. Heartwarming and low key story with a lot of simple yet intimate moments. A comfortable watch for most of the part but there are moments that took me in by surprise, I would go as far as to say those moments were bold in a sense. This is definitely going to be one of my favorites and one that I see myself recommending.

Irrfan Khan and Nimrat Kaur's performances were terrific. I highly recommend you guys to watch!

There's something I don't understand about Sound Euphonium S2 (again). In episode 5, before the regional competition, Taki clearly states that the two additional band coaches he hired are finished after the summer:

He marks this day as the final day of their appearance in band rehearsals, and the students even give them a tearful farewell.

But these two coaches, Hashimoto in particular, continue to show up as instructors at rehearsals afterwards. So in episode 8 we get Hashimoto leading practice and extensively criticizing the band:

It's easy to assume that Taki rehired them, but I don't recall that ever being mentioned and it's bizarre to go to great lengths to give Hashimoto a farewell scene if he's not actually going anywhere. Is there something I missed or is this an oversight by the show's creators?

blurr

Definitely feels like Taki rehired him considering they are going for the Nationals but yea, the explicit and tearful farewell scene was excessive if that's the case.

I thought it may be along the lines of those two growing so fond of the class that they keep visiting occasionally. But with how frequent they make appearances and such it really does seem as though they're simply continuing their work.

phaze

I think it's just that they came over a few times because they feel like it and want to see how the band&Taki is doing but they're no longer with them on permanent basis like during the camp.

For us the difference just isn't that big since the show can't possibly show all their training sessions, especially since it's so busy with melodrama/character arcs.

----
I forgot to mention it but Ribbon has been showing more an more signs of being an actual human being. Such a nice and welcome change from S1.

It sounds like the adaptation created some continuity errors.

I believe episode 5 is the end of novel 2 and the remainder of the season is novel 3, so yes, it seems like something the writing staff didn't notice when stitching the two together during the series composition phase.

I thought it may be along the lines of those two growing so fond of the class that they keep visiting occasionally. But with how frequent they make appearances and such it really does seem as though they're simply continuing their work.

I was fine with Hashimoto and Niiyama visiting the school festival - they're Taki's friends, they live in the area, so it makes sense that they'd stop by. But if Hashimoto is just continuing his coaching work with the band as if nothing had changed, without even a line to indicate he was rehired, it creates a bothersome inconsistency. A professional musician wouldn't just keep showing up to teach if he wasn't getting paid, so random occasional visits doesn't seem like a plausible explanation. Plus, just on the basic dramatic narrative level, what is the purpose of deliberately showing an extensive farewell being the students and Hashimoto if they are not actually being separated?

This may be a minor issue overall, but it contributes to the feeling of Sound Euphonium S2's writing being sloppier than it should be.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I only play up till chapter 9. While i think the main story so far fail to show main cast brotherhood aspect,the little things that happen along the way (playing game together, prompto doing stupid shit while noctis photo him, gladio making fun of noctis dick, taking photo together, the banter and link attack when in battle other trivial stuff) manage to potray the bromance aspect.

Girlish girl 5
Holy shit, the producer is a parasite. Dude is an asshole that probably could cause someone to get killed. Chitose might be an asshole, but at least she's not that destructive

Eh, I think this was all clearly planned the whole time. But that doesn't mean it was a good plan.

No. I don't think the show would go through a tonal whiplash like that if the head writer were still on. All those big reveals in Episodes 10 & 11 would have probably been presented more gracefully without feeling like an EVA ripoff.

Taruranto

O, I guess that explains it because I haven't watched Stay Night yet.

I thought overall Fate/Zero was really great in many ways, but the last two or so episodes were so bizarre that it kinda lost me. I read some wiki stuff but I'm still not sure what is even going on. I'll just spoiler-tag the entire thing.

The premise alone is confusing to me. If there's a secret tournament over a wish-granting Grail every few years, how come the world isn't altered in any way? This was the 4th Grail War, so what happened to the wishes of the previous 3? How come nobody knows about this? And the church moderates and judges, but also doublecrosses everyone by taking part and even assassinating people. Who set up this tournament anyway? Who regulates this? At one moment there seem to be a ton of rules, and the next all rules are out the window and it's basically a free-for-all with people backstabbing each other left and right.

At the start I expected a proper tournament-style war, so I was kinda confused when most of it was ad-hoc battles in the streets.

So the Grail is omnipotent but can only provide solutions based on the winner's knowledge. Again - how does no one know this? How does the grail take form from Irisviel when she is part of one of the competing families?

Kiritsugu wins allegedly, but chooses to destroy the Grail, basically destroying the entire city and killing almost everyone. I guess his plan backfired? How did Gilgamesh also get his wish granted by getting a physical body even though he and his master lost, and how did Kirei become immortal [or undead, I'm not sure]. And is Saber in limbo or something?

It just seems to me that the Grail and its concept is just a huge troll device made to fuck with people, but for some reason nobody knows/realises this.

This may sound overly nitpicky, but like I said I really enjoyed this show quite a bit, I just want to understand it better. There are a lot of good characters and it looked awesome as well. I hope Stay Night has more Gilgamesh because I enjoyed his stuff the most.

More specifically, F/Z is basically a prequel to HF more than anything. It's the only route that deals with Zoukuen,
the dickworms
, Kotomine's issues and the only route that explains
why the Ghrail is corrupted
(IIRC).

Too bad it's the worse route of a terrible Visual Novel.

F/Z is stuck in a weird place, it's a good product that actually makes use of setting, but it feels incomplete without the awful VN.
Gundam Tekketsu 37

Nothing more erotic than sharing a Mobile Frame cockpit.
I rematched that scene more times than I'd like to admit.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 38

What a brilliant episode, I'll admit when Josuke said
Okuyasu was dead I bought it.
The resulting battle, the poses, everything was top notch and then just when I thought Josuke was
going to be saved by a ZA WARUDO it turned out to be Okuyasu who's so much a bro, he can come back to life in order to save his bro. What a bro.
End of the episode was perfect too.

Chain Chronicle: Part 1

As someone who enjoyed the game, I'm not feeling the readjusted plot (Which no doubt removes one of the better twist the game's story had)
Pirika dies within the first 3 minutes
and it sort of drops you in there expecting you to be familiar with the series. Still the fights are really slick and well made, so it has that going for it and I liked watching the old crew again, will see how it develops going forward.

Occultic;Nine - 11

After last week's episode with camera angles in literally every different position, this was much better. I feel if the series didn't try and set a record for fastest delivery of speech in anime I'd appreciate it a lot more.

Star Wars: Rogue One

It wasn't bad... It wasn't good either. It was one of the most average films I've seen this year, it didn't make me feel anything. At least a bad film like Batman v Superman leaves something for me to feel annoyed at but with this I felt nothing and that's saying something since
everyone dies.

Qurupeke

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1-2

That was pretty good. If I'm not mistaken, the rest of the season is about Yakumo and Sukeroku's story, which is a bit unfortunate, as I really liked Yotarou and Konatsu. Still, looking forward to what actually happened between those two.

The one thing that I couldn't really appreciate is the same thing that I also really liked, the Rakugo performances. Some of the stories were pretty easy to understand, like Yotarou's thief story on the opening. It also helped that he managed to successfully portray the various characters' personalities. On the other hand, on episode 2, both of the stories weren't really interesting... In Yakumo's case it was intentional I suppose, as they wanted to show a bad and boring performance, so his portrayals and his voice acting were subpar. But in Sukeroku's case, even though he was a newbie, it was supposed to be a good one. But the problem is it didn't really feel like a good one... He was much more energetic, with better acting skills and I can totally see the resemblance with Yotarou, but he only played one guy and it felt like sketches rather than a complete story. I had to rewatch those last 5 minutes because it lost me the first time I watched it. I'm not sure if I'm at fault for not paying utmost attention or if the show is for not managing to achieve that.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1-2

That was pretty good. If I'm not mistaken, the rest of the season is about Yakumo and Sukeroku's story, which is a bit unfortunate, as I really liked Yotarou and Konatsu. Still, looking forward to what actually happened between those two.

Don't worry, the show will return to Yotarou and Konatsu in episode 13 and continue with them through the second season starting in January.

The one thing that I couldn't really appreciate is the same thing that I also really liked, the Rakugo performances. Some of the stories were pretty easy to understand, like Yotarou's thief story on the opening. It also helped that he managed to successfully portray the various characters' personalities. On the other hand, on episode 2, both of the stories weren't really interesting... In Yakumo's case it was intentional I suppose, as they wanted to show a bad and boring performance, so his portrayals and his voice acting were subpar. But in Sukeroku's case, even though he was a newbie, it was supposed to be a good one. But the problem is it didn't really feel like a good one... He was much more energetic, with better acting skills and I can totally see the resemblance with Yotarou, but he only played one guy and it felt like sketches rather than a complete story. I had to rewatch those last 5 minutes because it lost me the first time I watched it. I'm not sure if I'm at fault for not paying utmost attention or if the show is for not managing to achieve that.

Only portions of Sukeroku's performance were shown, to show the contrast in performing demeanor and audience reception between him and Kikuhiko, so there's a reason it didn't feel like a complete story. Rakugo performances can be fairly lengthy, so the anime isn't always going to be able to show complete ones.

blurr

The stories they tell in Rakugo have some relevance(more in some contexts) but it's their performance that counts on grounds of the main narrative. Their performance is usually displayed through audience reactions to the story's flow, regardless of whether or not they interest you.

In general it is an accurate portrayal of real Rakugo, as an artform it is a lot more interesting if you are accustomed to or know the language.

I wouldn't praise final fantasy xv until you have to play the shitty chapters.

Went into Ch 13 thinking it would be an abomination and it was fine. I've gone through so much worse in games that are more highly regarded. There's more hyperbole around that chapter and the game's story than any of the most hated animes on this thread. Storytelling did fall off a little but man, the amount of spewing hate coming out of some people's mouths made it seem like the game was going to be absolutely terrible.

Also Chapter 14 and the ending were ultimately the greatest things ever. Taby kept punching me in the gut and there was nothing I could do about it. I am still thinking about the game one day after beating it and that's more than I do for most games already. I expect to carry this game in my memory for a long time.

That game is filth, Gladio turns to shit in the later chapters when he awkwardly tries to get Noctis to buckle up in the worst way possible where I just wanted to punch him in the face, and I don't know what was the point of introducing all of these characters if they're all going to show up maybe once in a cutscene (or really REALLY bad movie) and then you never really get to interact with them again. I don't even remember who the fuck these villains are again.

HA HA WE'RE THE EMPIRE

*short battle*

[never see them again]

This 'Taby' of yours should have dropped the whole thing, and just made a game about the best character Ignis opening up a fucking restaurant and like occasionally getting on his chocobo to go get some new ingredients to make new recip-uuuuuuuuuhns

Qurupeke

Only portions of Sukeroku's performance were shown, to show the contrast in performing demeanor and audience reception between him and Kikuhiko, so there's a reason it didn't feel like a complete story. Rakugo performances can be fairly lengthy, so the anime isn't always going to be able to show complete ones.

I was afraid that would be the case. It was only Sukeroku's performance that seemed rushed though, fortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom