• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fafner 26 END

Quite possibly the worst mecha show I've seen.

Gundam Wing at least was funny at times.
While I personally felt the latter half of the original Fafner did well enough to turn the series from pretty bad to at best average, at least you can now move onto the better parts of the series.

Fafner 26 END

Quite possibly the worst mecha show I've seen.

Gundam Wing at least was funny at times.

Worst? did we watch the same fafner? How is it the worst.
tumblr_lzv31dMsiW1qbgas1o1_r2_500.gif

I haven't watched too many mecha anime to begin with, but the worst one that I've watched in its entirety is probably Gargantia. Which isn't that bad, just kind of underwhelming.

Taruranto

Oh, yes about the F/Z questions.

Other than the stuff phaze answered.

The Grail is not the real Grail, it's a just a magic thing the 3 families did by pouring together their knowledge.

Kiritsugu destroys it because the Grail is corrupted, during the 3th war someone summoned (illegally?) Angra Manju who's' "All the evils in the world" in Fate universe. When a servant dies, his mana goes into the Grail (Einzbern homonculus), so he ended up corrupting it. It's the reason why you also get blatantly evil spirits in the 4th and 5th wars, originally only good heroes could be summoned.

Anyway, the Grail is basically a giant incubator for the Anti Christ during FZ, so the whole war is a phony.

phaze

Worst? did we watch the same fafner? How is it the worst.
tumblr_lzv31dMsiW1qbgas1o1_r2_500.gif

Clearly not as your tumblr gif already looks better than the garbage I had to suffer through.

---

I swear, the OP of Fafner is literally the only time you get to see some good mecha animation in there.

While I personally felt the latter half of the original Fafner did well enough to turn the series from pretty bad to at best average, at least you can now move onto the better parts of the series.

There was some improvement to be sure. I'll grant it that. But too little too late to rescue it for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Iron Blooded Orphans is the worst for me.
I haven't watched too many mecha anime to begin with, but the worst one that I've watched in its entirety is probably Gargantia. Which isn't that bad, just kind of underwhelming.

Ah'll fite u m8 I sware on me mum

sonicmj1

O, I guess that explains it because I haven't watched Stay Night yet.

I thought overall Fate/Zero was really great in many ways, but the last two or so episodes were so bizarre that it kinda lost me. I read some wiki stuff but I'm still not sure what is even going on. I'll just spoiler-tag the entire thing.

The premise alone is confusing to me. If there's a secret tournament over a wish-granting Grail every few years, how come the world isn't altered in any way? This was the 4th Grail War, so what happened to the wishes of the previous 3? How come nobody knows about this? And the church moderates and judges, but also doublecrosses everyone by taking part and even assassinating people. Who set up this tournament anyway? Who regulates this? At one moment there seem to be a ton of rules, and the next all rules are out the window and it's basically a free-for-all with people backstabbing each other left and right.

At the start I expected a proper tournament-style war, so I was kinda confused when most of it was ad-hoc battles in the streets.

So the Grail is omnipotent but can only provide solutions based on the winner's knowledge. Again - how does no one know this? How does the grail take form from Irisviel when she is part of one of the competing families?

Kiritsugu wins allegedly, but chooses to destroy the Grail, basically destroying the entire city and killing almost everyone. I guess his plan backfired? How did Gilgamesh also get his wish granted by getting a physical body even though he and his master lost, and how did Kirei become immortal [or undead, I'm not sure]. And is Saber in limbo or something?

It just seems to me that the Grail and its concept is just a huge troll device made to fuck with people, but for some reason nobody knows/realises this.

This may sound overly nitpicky, but like I said I really enjoyed this show quite a bit, I just want to understand it better. There are a lot of good characters and it looked awesome as well. I hope Stay Night has more Gilgamesh because I enjoyed his stuff the most.

There's two basic things to explain which have mostly been answered, but I'll throw my version of events in anyway.

I feel like this was sort of explained at the start, but the Grail Wars are set up by the main magical families for their own benefit. They cooperate insofar as it helps set up the conditions for them to achieve their objectives. Partially because the whole process is so ad-hoc and messy, they haven't been able to successfully complete a Grail War yet.

Building off of that, the short version of why
the Grail is fucked up and bad things happen at the end is that weird shit happened at the end of the last war which corrupted the Grail. This doesn't get explained anywhere in Fate/Zero, and maybe gets touched on deep in Fate/Stay Night. I'm not sure. Anyway because Kiritsugu rejects the grail, Kirei gets a version of his wish which is why the destruction happens.

That aspect of the ending is the thing that suffers the most from Fate/Zero being a prequel.

Shergal

I of course don't think those were bad decisions. However, it's interesting to contrast how Takahata handled Only Yesterday with his subsequent adaptation of My Neighbors the Yamadas, which completely embraces the episodic vignette nature of the source material and doesn't try to create a single narrative throughline. I wonder if Takahata has talked anywhere about why he chose the different approaches with these two films.
I think he simply had two different aims with the films and decided accordingly. Yamadas is sort of a costumbrist depiction of contemporary Japanese city life, while OPP (including the childhood vignettes) is all about the individual character of Taeko and her inner life. I can see how the framing narrative adds a layer of sophistication to the themes in the latter, while Yamadas works better the looser it is (it creates a better sense of seeing the 'full' extent of what the family does in their everyday life)

Quasar

I think I must have over 50 shows in my backlog from about the last two years of TV anime. Almost makes me want to not even bother trying to catch up and just pick a new hobby or something.

What's the absolute best stuff that would still be worth checking out?

Post said backlog.

Taruranto

Time to organize a Captain Earth watch.

I really don't know what happened to Enokido. When they make a show so bad like Captain Earth
or Star Driver
, you really start to question whetever they were good in the first place and they just got lucky once (or had other people covering for them).

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 45

New respect for Sparda, who managed to be plotting the whole time. Didn't think she had it in her. Oruba should stop talking about how all the previous bad guys were his pawns when those bad guys are still in front of him. Batty is the true hero. He was always the coolest. Beats the monster(how often does someone who isn't Precure do that?) and gets to live. So goes the strongest villain. I'd say Oruba will be missed, but it looks like there's about to be a lot of replacements. Right before the finale, and only one named villain is active. Not the most dangerous one either. Huh.

pbayne

Flip Flappers 10-11

What happened?
I know script/scenario whatever supposedly changed hands but did anyone consult each other over the main focus of the show was or was it "fuck it ill write my bit and you right yours and just hope they come together somehow". Sure some of this has been foreshadowed but its still such a wild and ultimately boring departure than what came before it.
Eh maybe they'll salvage something but im not too hopeful.

JoJo 37-38

Dites the dust was beaten already? That was kinda anti-climatic.
I think part 2 will forever remain my favorite JoJo anime part just for how tight it is. Part 4 has had a lot of peaks but fuck its had some bad troughs as well. Heck on the whole id even say part 3 was not as good but way more consistent in quality. Plus Dio final fight>Kira's final fight though i like Kira as a character more.

Haikyuu S3

It was fine i suppose. But fuck get that jobber team whoever they were off screen and bring on the real rival team Nekoma.

Eumi

You know, these three plots really could stand to interlink a bit more. Whenever one plot's happening every other character is pushed to the side. Was the original series like this too?

NeonZ

You know, these three plots really could stand to interlink a bit more. Whenever one plot's happening every other character is pushed to the side. Was the original series like this too?

It basically was, although due to not focusing so much on development in the first place, spreading it through three seasons and leaving an entire special for the main couple's conclusion, it wasn't so obvious. The issue here is that even most of the humor is tied to the romantic relationships, and that wasn't the case in the original.

It basically was, although due to not focusing so much on development in the first place, spreading it through three seasons and leaving an entire special for the main couple's conclusion, it wasn't so obvious. The issue here is that even most of the humor is tied to the romantic relationships, and that wasn't the case in the original.

I haven't watched the new Working, but what I liked in the two seasons of Working I watched was how the various plot threads would weave in and out organically during a day at the restaurant. So the cast didn't feel segmented from each other.

I haven't watched the new Working, but what I liked in the two seasons of Working I watched was how the various plot threads would weave in and out organically during a day at the restaurant. So the cast didn't feel segmented from each other.

The new Working feels a lot more stitched together in general. They don't do as good of a job of smoothing over the seams that come from adapting a 4koma either.

The new Working's positives are:

- better lead characters
- Every ship gets
finalized by the end of the season instead of taking like 3
- Doesn't have that annoying girl who spoke her name in every fucking sentence

The clear negative is that BECAUSE they focus so much on the ships in every episode, this means that every side character that wasn't getting shipped just got fucked over and appear VERY VERY rarely. This also means there aren't really any side stories involving more side characters such as family members.

And it also suffered from anime-itis where even though ships set sail at some point, the grand majority the characters, annoying traits and all, remain the same for 70% of the show.

If you liked the original Working it's still worth a watch, just know you're trading positives and negatives from both shows.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Randomly started watching Shinometa. What in the fuck am I watching?

As for the new Working, I really loved the new cast and season so I guess I'm in the minority. It's just a lot of fun to me.

Hunter x Hunter '99 Episode 42

Pretty great episode because Gon and Hisoka beat the shit out of each other. '99 is better at the fights themselves, but I think '11 has better moments like Hisoka's famous "I'm getting turned on." I also prefer almost all the voice actors in '11 to '99.

Also fun fact - the commentator in this episode is supposed to be Togashi himself. The dog face is his Jump avatar for author comments. In HxH '11, the commentator is the main character from Level E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom