• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Mob Psycho 100 12 FIN

So in the end it turned out to be one of the clearest parables about people needing other people to get by in the world. Impressive work though and though and seems like the thing I can revisit down the line in order to better appreciate its construction. Definitely looking forward to more if it can hold the same standard.

Jarmel

Banned
Moulin Rouge One-

Really high highs but a generally flawed movie. I'm surprised more people aren't calling out how bad the editing was in the first half of the movie. You generally don't notice editing unless it's really bad or really good. Moulin Rouge falls in the former category largerly due to how haphazard the first half feels. The movie jumps from location to location which comes across as a bit slipshod especially since the movie is following three people in separate locations for awhile. It's not disorienting but it is distracting especially due to the number of location jumps and the speed to which the direction does it.

Action was fantastic, blows away the stuff in TFA and makes it look like amateur hour. There's a general sense of physicality and physics to many of the action sequences. The aerial dogfights really show how lazy the stuff in TFA was.

HK-47 Lite was the best thing about the movie. Characters and dialogue in general were just as bad as I feared going in.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist ep.12-13
KHGaX9n.jpg
The show continues to be a pretty fun watch. They added some adult fanservice; I'm good with hot for teacher, lol. Not sure where the central plot is going, but the headmaster needs to be off'ed soon because he drives me nuts!

ibyea

Banned
Is there a line in it worse than "I rebel."?

There is the classic case of anime dialogue where the same word that is supposed to represent the theme is peppered throughout the movie (hope being that word). That said, I loved the movie, and I personally felt like it was way better than The Force Awakens. It feels great to not be disappointed at a Star Wars movie for once.

Moulin Rouge One-

Really high highs but a generally flawed movie. I'm surprised more people aren't calling out how bad the editing was in the first half of the movie. You generally don't notice editing unless it's really bad or really good. Moulin Rouge falls in the former category largerly due to how haphazard the first half feels. The movie jumps from location to location which comes across as a bit slipshod especially since the movie is following three people in separate locations for awhile. It's not disorienting but it is distracting especially due to the number of location jumps and the speed to which the direction does it.

Action was fantastic, blows away the stuff in TFA and makes it look like amateur hour. There's a general sense of physicality and physics to many of the action sequences. The aerial dogfights really show how lazy the stuff in TFA was.

HK-47 Lite was the best thing about the movie. Characters and dialogue in general were just as bad as I feared going in.

I fear I don't care enough to watch this movie in theaters unless when I visit family in South America they want to go. Because I just don't fucing care to watch this. Every single trailer I saw with the characters I couldn't help but feel as cynical as the RLM trailer reaction.

If nobody I know this christmas will go watch it I'll likely eventually watch it when it's on VOD.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mob Psycho 100 12 FIN

So in the end it turned out to be one of the clearest parables about people needing other people to get by in the world. Impressive work though and though and seems like the thing I can revisit down the line in order to better appreciate its construction. Definitely looking forward to more if it can hold the same standard.

The source material DEFINITELY holds or surpasses the standard, so if the same studio puts out at least the same great effort, expect awesome :D

Gundam IBO - 37

So I guess we now have an idea of who Vidar may really be, although I had my suspicions from the start.

This week was actually spectacular from a plot and action standpoint. Top notch stuff.

Totakeke

Just watched Kimi no Na Wa / Your Name.

Pretty impressed actually, although I didn't set high expectations for it. I liked how they played and built on top of a pretty basic premise. The commercial success certainly didn't reflect how that the movie is still pretty much in the basic mold of a Makoto Shinkai movie, but I guess all it needed is that he actually sat down and make a proper movie for once. Well deserved imo. I could make some complaints for the story structure near the end, but with all the good that came before it I could easily forgive what seems to be a overly long drawn out resolution to appease people who watched 5cm. :p

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wish funimation dubs had a closed caption option. Drifters is hard to hear at times with how insanely thick they lay on the accents. I appreciate dubs for things like having accents that are more recognizable to me, but not if i can't hear what they're saying.

zulux21

I wish funimation dubs had a closed caption option. Drifters is hard to hear at times with how insanely thick they lay on the accents. I appreciate dubs for things like having accents that are more recognizable to me, but not if i can't hear what they're saying.

the website does now on select episodes.

the apps will hopefully get it when they get updated next.

edit: updated, only some shows do.

for example tenchi muyo ova has it

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
the website does now on select episodes.

the apps will hopefully get it when they get updated next.

edit: updated, only some shows do.

for example tenchi muyo ova has it

That's good news. Hope to see more of it.

zulux21

That's good news. Hope to see more of it.

sadly scanning around I can't find a single broadcast dub that has them.

it seems to be limited to shows that have released on DVDs more than a year ago and not even all of them have it.

but yeah I am hoping they add it.
I watch a lot of stuff in bed late at night, and during quite scenes CC is a must.

I am so thankful netflix has it on everything.
if funimation had it I would likely use it to go to sleep more.

Just watched Kimi no Na Wa / Your Name.

Pretty impressed actually, although I didn't set high expectations for it. I liked how they played and built on top of a pretty basic premise. The commercial success certainly didn't reflect how that the movie is still pretty much in the basic mold of a Makoto Shinkai movie, but I guess all it needed is that he actually sat down and make a proper movie for once. Well deserved imo. I could make some complaints for the story structure near the end, but with all the good that came before it I could easily forgive what seems to be a overly long drawn out resolution to appease people who watched 5cm. :p

RIGHT! Saw it last week. Pretty much the same opinion. Good movie, very pretty in most scenes, and I enjoyed the story but it's hardly the most amazing animated movie ever imo. My friend was telling me everyone cries during it and what not -she din't- and when we went to the theater we both had the same opinion. Really good, but not life changing.

As for other anime...

Just watched, and finished:

FREEZING
Hmm... what to say since I can't really post screen shots of this mess. I grabbed this one while wanting a more light hearted nonsense story instead of the more intensive Gundam that I usually go for. I think I got a bunch of boob shows at the time and watched literally none of them. After the pretty good Kabanari of the Iron Fortress I needed something silly, popped this on and man I had no idea...I saw the figures and assumed as much though.

First of all, I figure this was based off an erotic game after 10 minutes of it. The basic premise is typical enough, anime fighter girls, high school of course, because anime. Fighting against giant monsters, ok. Oh monsters are kinda not important... ok... characters introduced, main lead has a weird obsession with his dead sister... ok... Female lead reminds him of dead sister so his first instinct is to rub his face in her cleavage... ok..... completely checked out now.

Fight starts, boobs everywhere because the first thing to go in this show is the clothes over boobs. Hmm, premise is that older girls hook up with younger boys, yeah real subtle writing there. Main male gets knocked out or hurt in each episode, girl has to fight because reasons.

Zoom ahead while not paying attention while playing pokemon, main female has a slightly dark back story of being molested and probably raped by her step brother wow, din't see that coming, oh not gonna extrapolate on this? ok back to the boobs. Big monsters attack, despite them being the catalyst for this shows backdrop we have not seen them since the first episode (this is second to last now btw) its just been boobs and fighting for no real reason til now with the main lead being kinda annoyingly creepy. Instead of fighting giant monsters it of course takes over other girls to fight, cause how else will we get boobs!?

It ends, nothing is learned or needed but we get a sinister "the real fight starts now" or something to promote a second season.... Watched the extra OVA stuff... geeze just make it a hentai if thats what they are doing. Completely nonsense.

I mean if this show did not take itself so serious I would have been fine with it. But it tried too hard to make its plot, characters, and science anime reasons make sense while being absolutely ridiculous.

In all... 9/10 boobs everywhere. It's just great!
really 3/10, completely nonsense how serious it takes itself considering the kind of show it is, though I really will buy figures!

This is why I don't move away from Gundam.

zulux21

RIGHT! Saw it last week. Pretty much the same opinion. Good movie, very pretty in most scenes, and I enjoyed the story but it's hardly the most amazing animated movie ever imo. My friend was telling me everyone cries during it and what not -she din't- and when we went to the theater we both had the same opinion. Really good, but not life changing.

I'm sad to skim and read this as I was hoping that this might be a Makoto Shinkai movie I could like, but if it fits the basic mold I will likely just be super bored and continue to say his best work is Voices of a Distant Star since it only takes 25 minutes to get through the same forumla instead of 90+ :p

I still need to get around to watching
The Garden of Words (i've heard this one is at least a bit different)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (I picked it up on the last sentai sale so I really should watch it lol)

but of voices, 5cm and place promised by far I prefer voices just because it is shorter >.>

ibyea

Banned
This is from the director of Godzilla 2014. I think we're just happy it wasn't a turd.

Heh, the thing is, Godzilla 2014 was pretty good up until Cranston's character dies and then focuses on the most boring, typical military white dude ever, and then it's like who cares.

Totakeke

I'm sad to skim and read this as I was hoping that this might be a Makoto Shinkai movie I could like, but if it fits the basic mold I will likely just be super bored and continue to say his best work is Voices of a Distant Star since it only takes 25 minutes to get through the same forumla instead of 90+ :p

I still need to get around to watching
The Garden of Words (i've heard this one is at least a bit different)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (I picked it up on the last sentai sale so I really should watch it lol)

but of voices, 5cm and place promised by far I prefer voices just because it is shorter >.>

I would say if you just go in expecting a mostly metaphorical story about a boy and a girl you will come out impressed. It's certainly much more fleshed out and that gives it the depth that it needs. Though that's still relative to his movies.

Rewatching this because why not.

7CujDo2.jpg

When you daydream at your desk.

Show's been one of my favorites for a long while yet the first episode remains a case of what the hell just happened. Characters getting violent for little to no reason, mentions of big military organizations without any in depth detail, and entirely separate plotlines being followed without clear indication as to their connection makes this a baffling introduction to this new age in the U.C.

Still, the gorgeous art, character design, and animation combined with the wonderful soundtrack with elements of psychedelia and grandeur lead this to being one of the most attention grabbing anime series ever.

Narag

Rewatching this because why not.

Show's been one of my favorites for a long while yet the first episode remains a case of what the hell just happened. Characters getting violent for little to no reason, mentions of big military organizations without any in depth detail, and entirely separate plotlines being followed without clear indication as to their connection makes this a baffling introduction to this new age in the U.C.

Still, the gorgeous art, character design, and animation combined with the wonderful soundtrack with elements of psychedelia and grandeur lead this to being one of the most attention grabbing anime series ever.

That reminds me how it's even worse in the beginning of the first New Translation movie.

zulux21

I would say if you just go in expecting a mostly metaphorical story about a boy and a girl you will come out impressed. It's certainly much more fleshed out and that gives it the depth that it needs. Though that's still relative to his movies.

I'll likely go in just expecting the same drawn out formula he used in place promised and 5cm :p so hopefully it will merely be better than that. I heaven't watched either in a long time so I suppose I am up for it again.

I never get any heart string moments, merely... ugh... get it over with already >.>;

i'll leave it to Mamoru Hosoda to give me heart string moments instead :p

Quasar

First of all, I figure this was based off an erotic game after 10 minutes of it. The basic premise is typical enough, anime fighter girls, high school of course, because anime.

Nope. A fairly long manga.

It always seemed like a pretty dumb extreme training regime. Though maybe it might cause the soldiers to not break and route in real combat given what they go through in training.

Line_HTX

That preview is already irking me. I mean, how long over the course of both seasons has Kumiko spent with Shuichi anyway? Shuichi is barely even there to begin with.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Heteronormative relationships in my KyoAni anime? Why I never.

Kenstar

That preview is already irking me. I mean, how long over the course of both seasons has Kumiko spent with Shuichi anyway? Shuichi is barely even there to begin with.

Every time he talks to her she gives some disinterested 2 word answer like he's some 2/10 random tinder match, they better not try and pull a 180 here

If you edited the subtitles you could honestly believe he's her annoying brother she doesn't speak to like her sister or something

Kumiko goes out of her way to act as disinterested as possible whenever Shuichi shows up for 10 seconds. Like why even do that a dozen times if you will just 180 it

Haly

Kumiko was a tsundere all along. This is what a tsundere romance looks like from the tsundere's point of view.

Haly

What is... a dandere. I thought I had all 150 deres but there was a 151st???

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Finished watching Code Geass R2...I had forgotten just how far it went in pursuit of the ultimate "Set myself up as a villain to unify the world against war" gundam plot it went. Two people were going hard to the paint for it, nuking/mind raping everyone to do it.

Quasar

kumiko does spend more time (in what i can read of the LN) obsessing over reina than giving even half a thought to trumpet boy

I did wonder after hearing about Kumiko/Shuichi whether it was developed more in the books. I actually wondered if that relationship was being held back for a theoretical 3rd season given he's been almost totally absent from the show.

yami4ct

At the behest of one of my buddies, I've been catching up on one of my biggest anime blindspots, good old classic Super Robots. I've recently rewatched Gunbuster (And enjoyed it far more the second time around). I also watched the GaoGaiGar TV show and while it was imperfect, I really, really fell in love with it over its insane twisting course through 50 episode. I just got finished with another major classic and I had to post something.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still 1-7

This might quite possibly be one of the strangest things I've ever watched. The plot is straight up insanity that continues to escalate and escalate and escalate. Nothing makes sense by the end and it's just characters shouting platitudes about the nature of sacrifice and the future while ridiculous destruction happens around them.

The thing is, it kind of doesn't have to make sense. The animation is a wonder to look at, the action is fun and inventive, (most) of the characters are fun and interesting and it has one of the most amazing soundtracks I've ever heard in an anime. I say 'most' of the characters are fun and interesting mainly because the hero, Daisaku, sucks. An annoying kid in the mold of Shinji who won't just get in the damn robot.

I highly recommend it overall if you're one the people like me who like mecha, but for some reason hasn't caught up with the Super Robot side of it. It's worth a watch if just for the amazing soundtrack. Now onto GaoGaiGar FINAL I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom