• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

So Konosuba is pretty funny eh? I notice a few comments about it in the voting thread, and it sticks out for me along with Rakugo (which I probably get around to eventually). Maybe I will see if it enjoyable.

Taruranto

The Great Passage END
kx4m19d.jpg

You are making a dictionary, dammit.

So yeah, the Great Passage. I thought it (unconventional opinion ahead) quite sucked. While I can recognize it was certainty well animated and directed, I really felt the actual show was lacking.

My main issues was with the characters. If you told me "tell me one thing about Majime", I could tell you he is (was) socially awkward and hard working, but that's all I can think of.

The romance was hilariously bad, I find quite funny that Nishioka got a more fulfilling, cute and natural romance (And I can't even remember his wife name, I'm not even sure the show told us!) than the main character. Because damn, what was the point of spending 2-3 episodes on that only to literally write out of the show Kaguya. I'm not saying everything has to come together by the end, but her and Majima felt more like friends for what little romantic interactions they had.

I've seen people compare this to Rakugo, but Rakugo was a beautiful character-driven tale, this felt more the writer forgot the characters because he/she wanted to make super pretensions speeches about dictionaries and overworked Japanese salarymen (What were those scenes in episode 10 seriously??).

Cornbread78

So Konosuba is pretty funny eh? I notice a few comments about it in the voting thread, and it sticks out for me along with Rakugo (which I probably get around to eventually). Maybe I will see if it enjoyable.

Yup, you should watch Konosuba ASAP.

it's got some fanservice, but is hilarious to watch with great comedic timing.

It will change your AOTY list for the better, lol.

The Great Passage END

You are making a dictionary, dammit.

So yeah, the Great Passage. I thought it (unconventional opinion ahead) quite sucked. While I can recognize it was certainty well animated and directed, I really felt the actual show was lacking.

My main issues was with the characters. If you told me "tell me one thing about Majime", I could tell you he is (was) socially awkward and hard working, but that's all I can think of.

The romance was hilariously bad, I find quite funny that Nishioka got a more fulfilling, cute and natural romance (And I can't even remember his wife name, I'm not even sure the show told us!) than the main character. Because damn, what was the point of spending 2-3 episodes on that only to literally write out of the show Kaguya.

Kaguya wasn't written out of the show,

Kabaneri 1-12

It was overall ok except for episode 9 that I hated with a passion. Biba like everyone one said was a terrible villain with very weird ambitions. Why slaughter whole cities? How is killing kids helping you achieve your goals. Many things did not make much sense with why some characters did things.

So negative asides.

I liked the art style a lot, the animation was pretty great, the fights were cool, the OST was outstanding(very AoT like, same person?) and the characters were ok. My favourites were the Train conductor(umm those muscles), the guy who liked the train conductor(can't remember his name) and Kurusu.

So yea around like 6/10, it was ok.

Now I'm not sure what to watch next, any suggestions? Here's my MAL.

phaze

Kabaneri 1-12

It was overall ok except for episode 9 that I hated with a passion. Biba like everyone one said was a terrible villain with very weird ambitions. Why slaughter whole cities? How is killing kids helping you achieve your goals. Many things did not make much sense with why some characters did things.

So negative asides.

I liked the art style a lot, the animation was pretty great, the fights were cool, the OST was outstanding(very AoT like, same person?) and the characters were ok. My favourites were the Train conductor(umm those muscles), the guy who liked the train conductor(can't remember his name) and Kurusu.

So yea around like 6/10, it was ok.

Now I'm not sure what to watch next, any suggestions? Here's my MAL.

Have you seen Yozakura Quartet? Or Birdy the mighty decode. should be fairly up your alley.

Saint Seiya Lost Canvas alternatively though only half of the Manga is adapted.

Caught up on the rest of Eupho. Good season, but outside of Kumiko's arc, I hated everything else. The production values are way too good to really dislike the show but I wish we didn't spend so much time on some of those arcs. The first third of the season was stupid and Asuka and her drama was really annoying. I liked her at first but her schtick got really old. I think I might just be too old to really care about high school drama anymore. I guess I also enjoyed Sensei's backstory as well.

I really did love Kumiko's arc however. It took her a while to admit that she was lonely but she managed to be honest with herself and I loved how it all unfolded. I thought her crying on the train after her sister moved was the most touching moment in the season. I love seeing complex sibling relationships that are beyond the stock anime stuff.

Shuuichi stays losing though lol

Have you seen Yozakura Quartet? Or Birdy the mighty decode. should be fairly up your alley.

Saint Swiss Lost Canvas alternatively though only half of the Manga is adapted.

So looked up those 3 shows, Yozakura and Birdy aren't streaming anywhere. Something legally streamable would be better. Lost Canvas as character design I don't really like so not for me.

But still thank you for the recs.

Kind of curious given they date in the books. I guess its one less storyline to handle.

Oh, nice! I always thought she was confused about him, leaning towards a yes during the series. I felt that she didn't want to be distracted during the competition and that she would start thinking about it after it was done.

Maybe S3? Or a movie like Tamako Market? :) There were some nice character designs for the third years. Would be nice to see some of them return.

Quasar

Its really bad. MC is a spineless loser and a bad person but he gets the hottest girl in the world and she likes him because...he's a spineless loser?

Watch Galko instead.

That hasn't been my interpretation. It is a pretty samey geeky guy/popular girl pairing though. Maybe I did really read enough to see him as a bad person though. Definitely someone who lacks self-confidence though. Which I'll admit I empathise with, being a shy guy myself. Its her supposed best friend whose seemed like the bad guy so far from what I've read.

Quasar

Oh, nice! I always thought she was confused about him, leaning towards a yes during the series. I felt that she didn't want to be distracted during the competition and that she would start thinking about it after it was done.

Maybe S3? Or a movie like Tamako Market? :) There were some nice character designs for the third years. Would be nice to see some of them return.

I dunno. Only book left is a book of short stories, some set during seasons 1/2 and some set after. I guess you could do an OVA.

Clov

I've been trying to make my AotY list, but I realized that I may have only watched Kizu Part 1 for movies. Apart from Kizu part II, is there anything else I can watch by the deadline? I wasn't able to go to any film festivals, so I missed A Silent Voice for this year. I wonder what else I can watch by the deadline?

Mob Psycho 100 - 2-4

This show and its characters are slowly growing on me. For what I like to call: "The third episode hook", there was a good moment of catharsis seeing Mob actually go all out in episode 3.

It's also nice to see that the Body Improvement club isn't filled with the stereotypical anime jocks and are actually decent people.

Cornbread78

I've been trying to make my AotY list, but I realized that I may have only watched Kizu Part 1 for movies. Apart from Kizu part II, is there anything else I can watch by the deadline? I wasn't able to go to any film festivals, so I missed A Silent Voice for this year. I wonder what else I can watch by the deadline?

Anthem of the Heart maybe?

Looking at the AOTY voting thread I should really watch Mob Psycho huh

Yeah, you should give it a whirl. It's very unique and much netter than OPM, imo.

jgminto

Shit, I haven't even thought about how I'd structure my AotY list yet. Need to catch up with 3-Gatsu as well.

Edit: Gonna throw all the shows I'm considering here
Yuri!!! on Ice
Haikyu!!
Diamond is Unbreakable
Amanchu!
Sweetness & Lightning
Mob Psycho 100
Shouwa Era Rakugo Shinjuu
March Comes in like a Lion
Kiznaiver
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro
Osomatsu-san
Space Patrol Luluco
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

This will be a tough list to make.

She may as well have been for what little screen time and story relevance she had compared to the pre-time skip show. :p

Kaguya had enough screen time even after the time skip. Her conversations with Majime and the subtle indication of the advancement of her career were important thematically and character-wise.

The eligible movies you could get your hands on would include:

Anthem of the Heart
Crayon Shin-chan Movie 24: Fast Asleep! The Great Assault on the Dreaming World
Doukyuusei
Garo: Divine Flame
Girls und Panzer movie
Gundam the Origin III/IV
Harmony (but you've already watched this, right?)
High Speed
Kaze no Matasaburou (and the other 2016 Anime Tamago shorts)
Milky Holmes movie

duckroll

The Great Passage END

I agree. #NoMaayaNoLife

Anthem of the Heart
Doukyuusei
Girls und Panzer movie
Gundam the Origin III/IV
High Speed
Milky Holmes movie

You forgot Shin Godzilla?

Kuromukuro 18

This show likes to throw in shocking plot developments right at the end of seemingly "stock anime" episodes. First it did it with a school festival episode and now with a hot springs episode. I respect the show for giving these episodes, which can easily feel obligatory and rote in anime, a reason to exist.

Even before the ending twist, this was still a really good episode. I particularly liked the dinner scene; the group conversation felt very natural and freeform in a way you rarely see in anime, reminding me of the group conversations in Kurenai. It was bittersweet how everyone got so wrapped up in their discussions that they completely missed the farewell message Carlos had recorded for them.

Cornbread78

Shit, I haven't even thought about how I'd structure my AotY list yet. Need to catch up with 3-Gatsu as well.

This will be a tough list to make.

Plenty of time to organize it. Mine may change the more I think about it.

I wonder if he'll be broken when the results are final at the end of the month, heh heh heh.

Yeah, only if TF finishes in the top 5 andvI have to deal with the backlash, lol.

It's alright if nobody likes my shows; I'm used to it, lol.

Clov

Kaguya had enough screen time even after the time skip. Her conversations with Majime and the subtle indication of the advancement of her career were important thematically and character-wise.

Anthem of the Heart
Doukyuusei
Girls und Panzer movie
Gundam the Origin III/IV
High Speed
Milky Holmes movie

Wow, I completely forgot about Doukyusei and Harmony! I loved both of those, so I'll definitely be including them. From what I've seen so far, I might even put Doukyusei at the top.

I've seen the Gundam the Origin OVAs; I have some mixed feelings on them, so I'll have to think over whether I should include them or not. I still need to see High Speed, but since I enjoyed Free I'll be sure to give it a watch. I also still need to see the Anime Tamago works; I'm sure good or bad, they'll at least be interesting. Looks like I have a lot to watch before the deadline. Thanks for the recommendations!

If you have Crunchyroll then you ought to watch "I've Always Liked You" [Zutto Mae kara Suki deshita.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom