• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

While not exclusively so, episodic makes sense when there's a world or character or phenomenon that's interesting enough to warrant 20 minutes to it or an aspect of it. That isn't to say it isn't possible to through a consistent over-arching story but it's essentially just a style of story telling - do you think a show *must* have an over arching story to tell or can't it just indulge in its world/characters and invoke thought/feeling? I'd like to think otherwise.

I enjoyed the episodic aspect of Kekkai Sensen for instance, it held my interesting more than its overarching plot but that's probably not the best example in this regard. Another series, I'd point out is Dennou Coil - I starkly remember its "beard" episode, one of the more interesting and fun look into its world which had little to nothing to do with the main story.

CDiggity

Flippity Flappity Floo 13 END

At least my eyes were entertained, but boy that was a mess. I'm debating whether or not it was a case of I simply didn't get it or the show failing in what it set out to do, but I did not care about the story or characters. They throw a lot at you but none of it connected with me.

If this season, Yuri on Ice can make me care about a sport I don't care about and even Keijo can sell me it's silliness to a degree, then surely this fantasy sci-fi magical girl yuri sakuga explosion, things which I usually enjoy, could do more than it did. It's strange like that, which only makes it that much more of a disappointment.

This is a show that should warrant a rewatch, but I just don't feel like it. I'll stick with Sakugabooru. I like these animators and will keep an eye on their future projects.

Cornbread78

debates over and the AOTY voting thread is live:

Ku6CSo7.png

Dump all of your favorite garbage anime lists here

Checked out the good ol' list of dubs for recent anime and started the 1st episode of Izetta: The Last Witch. What are yall's thoughts on it? (the anime, not the dub)

phaze

M2 is the latest studio founded by Masao Maruyama after leaving Madhouse and now MAPPA; this is their first production. Miya's Aoi Bungaku story is average and kind of dull, so hopefully Onihei is better.

I see. Well I hope it will something of note, not much stuff to be had outside of Rakugo really.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well to be clear, the people who were backing Kumiko x Shuichi were either genuinely fond of that pairing (lol) or part of the self-insert crowd.

The bigger issue is how they fucking cratered his entire character in order to push Reina x Kumiko only to back out of it in S2, effectively killing his entire character. It's so obvious they tried to have their cake and eat it too. I mean, I don't mind the fact that they tried to make his relationship with Kumiko more platonic, but they didn't need to completely cut him from the show.

It's so dishonest; it's like KyoAni's winking at me going "here's all this bait, but don't worry we won't upset the yuri crowd by having Kumiko end up with Shuichi."

;)

It is almost like the yuribaiting was a problem that they rightfully deserved to get raked over the coals over.

I forgot to put my impressions of this show here.

Vivid Strike END

I'm convinced this entire series was made just so that they could make this endcard.

Otherwise worst Nanoha series yet, Rinne should have won. Fuck Fuuka the hobo who beat Rinne who made the mistake of have driving and talent in a Nanoha series and deciding to fight the main characters. Yes I am still salt she lost to Vivio in the first place.
Least they didn't fuck up best fighter Einhart and that's all that really matters I suppose.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The mangaGAFers who post here know I'm gonna watch Fuuka. Because I hate myself.

Shergal

I'm feel like the complaints about Flip Flappers 'having a story' are kinda misguided. The show clearly had a story from the very first scene of the first episode. Maybe the real thing to look at is that said story was bad, and badly told.

Wanderer5

Just want to be clear about voting, something like Bungo Stray Dogs, which was a split cour within the year, counts as one series or two? If it can count as two, I am pretty much just leaving it with S2 and will throw S1 as a honorable mention.

Qurupeke

Just want to be clear about voting, something like Bungo Stray Dogs, which was a split cour within the year, counts as one series or two? If it can count as two, I am pretty much just leaving it with S2 and will throw S1 as a honorable mention.

- If an anime has had several seasons aired in the same calendar year, they will be counted together as 1 vote (example: Haikyuu)

JCG

I am more impressed by the fact Big Order was apparently a thing in Crunchyroll Iran.

In any case, more Fafner is coming so things are already looking up.

phaze

lol at Italy, Iran.

----

Am I supposed to watch Fafner Right and Left before Heaven & Earth ? Can't find any continuity breakdown ...

What the hell is Noblesse Awakening? :O

And it looks like the whole Middle East loves Twin Star Exorcists.

A Korean mahwa I think. I think it got an OVA or something this year

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have to bump Luluco off my list now that Thunderbolt Fantasy counts. RIP.
People joked too much and someone took the bait. There is nothing to qualify Thunderbolt Fantasy as anime. It is not animation. The heavy lifting on its production is not done in Japan. It is okay to like something from Asian countries and not have it be "anime".

what the fuck Iran

I'm assuming that the number of people watching Crunchyroll in Iran and other smaller markets is relatively small and thus a handful of people can skew the overall results. Plus, there may be geographical licensing restrictions keeping more popular shows from certain countries; I'm pretty sure this is why Noblesse shows up for Japan, China, and some of SE Asia, since most anime on Crunchyroll are unable to be viewed in those countries as producers prefer to use native streaming sites.

zulux21

Loving all those post voting for MHA in the AOTY thread's first page, makes me happy.

it will likely make it into my top ten but it will end up being near the bottom.

I enjoy MHA, but the first anime season was a bit of a let down as the pacing was really slow for a series that only got 13 episodes.

the pacing they went with they could have easily done 26 episodes and not caught up with the manga at all *shrugs*

the second season will likely be in my top 5 next year though as that should be a ton of fun.

phaze

Right of Left -> Heaven & Earth -> Exodus

Thanks.

I'm assuming that the number of people watching Crunchyroll in Iran and other smaller markets is relatively small and thus a handful of people can skew the overall results. Plus, there may be geographical licensing restrictions keeping more popular shows from certain countries; I'm pretty sure this is why Noblesse shows up for Japan, China, and some of SE Asia, since most anime on Crunchyroll are unable to be viewed in those countries as producers prefer to use native streaming sites.

Pretty much.

People joked too much and someone took the bait. There is nothing to qualify Thunderbolt Fantasy as anime. It is not animation. The heavy lifting on its production is not done in Japan. It is okay to like something from Asian countries and not have it be "anime".

Puppetry is animation the way TF did it. The same as stop motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom