• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

March Comes in Like a Lion had a great first episode! This season's starting off strong. I'm really enjoying everything I've picked up so far.

Jarmel

Banned
Kurobako- 1
EZpTfRM.jpg
UCt8yav.jpg

4BoJJLm.jpg
bqnwlKu.jpg
I'm just watching this for her reaction faces.

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium S2: 1
Watching this episode with my sister was entertaining. She would relate to me stories of her high school band and how there are all these stupid dramas like in the show. Anyways, it was an okay episode, mostly setting up the characters and conflict. Kumiko keeps being an awesome protagonist in my book.

Flip Flappers: 1
All I can say for now is that it had some cool moments, but there are so little context to go on. First episode feels like more of a concept test run or something.

Yuri on Ice: 1
That skating sequence sold me on this. The humor is too on the nose at times, but at the same time it doesn't seem like it is going to go super serious on the drama, so I guess it's fine.

March Comes in Like a Lion: 1
So far this is my favorite first episode. The art is very pretty and it does a very good job at establishing melancholic atmosphere. It can be jarring when things transition from his internal state to the external since when things involve other people the humor is way over the top, but I feel like it is the sort of transition that makes sense.

KraytarJ

Kiss Him, Not Me
Way funnier than it had any right to be, and the internal struggle between Otome and Otaku was wonderful.

Marching Lions or something
I'm just not feeling it, a really dry and dull episode for me. I just don't think I'm up for another melodramatic thing right now. Maybe I'll give it another go but my plate is so full right that it might just be left behind.

Thoraxes

ClassicaLoid - 01

This is awesome. I can't wait to find out more of how this universe is going to go.

Also, they totally nailed Mozart's personality. Beethoven's obsession with fate was a funny thing they decided to use, too. Also felt weird knowing the date and opus number before they mentioned it on screen, haha.

Caim

Drifters (Episode 1)

The action is really well done and the animation style is pretty good too.

The comedy itself is pretty hit or miss, and you have to know a thing or two about Japanese history in order to understand it.

If you watched the OVA then you've already seen most of this episode and I think some of it will be in the second one too.

Jex

I don't like Occultic;Nine but it's honestly just sad to see how many people are calling shows "incoherent" this season, or that shows "do not have a story". Occultinc:Nine is kind of stupid trash, so who can really blame someone if they don't want to pay attention, but the sequence of events and what the show is about is pretty clearly laid out. It's not that fast. It's not that zany. If this is the "worst piece of anime" someone has seen this year that are probably not watching that much stuff.

That's exactly right. I'm only interested in the very best that's coming out every season, not the usual crud that clutters up the majority of anime schedules.

Fortunately this season seems to contain the highest number of promising titles of any season this year.

Gi(a)rlish Number

Oh my god. This is the cynical Shirobako that I was looking for. I'm fucking in.

Not sure why compare to Shirobako when it's focus on different part of anime industry.
Though Girlish Number is pretty unrealistic(Shirobako isn't complete realistic too of course), that said i can see the author isn't try to make it realistic and it's fun show overall, just hope people won't treat it like a holy bible for anime industry lol.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Occult whatever. 1
Context: I know nothing about the show, and I just watched it to see what the buzz was about.

This had like 5(?) different plots happening at the same time and then they all escalate to... something at the end, and at the same time. If I was an angsty teen I would have maybe liked it but I am an adult who likes his shounen shows or good looking and not deep animes. I will give this another episode because my curiosity needs to be sated...

Speaking of shounens,

Dragon Ball Super 61

After watching the episode: I feel like I'm a kid again who just saw goku go super saiyan for the first time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That's exactly right. I'm only interested in the very best that's coming out every season, not the usual crud that clutters up the majority of anime schedules.
So...why would you watch it to begin with? The director is coming off of legitimate worst anime of all time stuff like Lance N' Masques and the source material comes from a dubious place. I feel like it is easy to run into worse stuff than this checking out big shows, but whatever.

Verelios

Izetta The Last Witch 1

Yep, just about what I expected. Towards the end I thought maybe, just maybe it could be tolerable but when she opened her eyes screaming Hime-sama every time, well, there were too many telling signs that this is going to be another template 'powerful beta hung up on an ojou yuri show'

Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not sure why compare to Shirobako when it's focus on different part of anime industry.
Though Girlish Number is pretty unrealistic(Shirobako isn't complete realistic too of course), that said i can see the author isn't try to make it realistic and it's fun show overall, just hope people won't treat it like a holy bible for anime industry lol.
Compared to the "anime is great" message of Shirobako, it was refreshing to see something that acknowledged that anime is as much about profit motive and exploiting otaku as it is about the "art".

I'm just waiting for a handshake event where the fans gross out the seiyuu. lol

Occultic;Nine 1
Oh my god everything was SO FAST. I tried watching this twice today and had to force myself to stick with it past the first 5 minutes the second time. Everything was just so frenetic. It almost felt like they crammed two episodes together or something, because they could've used a little more space and time to introduce everyone.

This was the anime I was most looking forward to this season, but with the breakneck speed and unnecessary cuts I'm kinda turned off now. Still, I did sort of like some of the ideas, so I'll give it another episode or two.

Magical Girl Raising Project 2
That was less bloody than I was expecting, although I guess things are supposed to spiral out of control from here, so there's still time for things to heat up. It was neat seeing the other girls more in this episode, and exploring the dynamic between the 15 different girls at this point. Gives a good idea of how they’ll team up and react as things spin further out of control.

Izetta 2
Not as good as the first episode, but I still enjoyed it. The blood magic mechanics and air fight were both interesting and fun. I didn't mind the backstory/flashbacks, although so far the backstory between the girls is about what you would expect.

One Piece 759

The One Piece anime fucking sucks again. There was a 30 second stretch of actual powerpoint. Just different still images one after the other.

Sound Euphonium S2
Of course, this was great. Such high production values, and Kumiko's mouth sounds are a cool little touch. I do worry about it not being able to keep the level of drama throughout the season as it did last season though.

Girlish Number
The first episode was a nice little comedy. I worry about this becoming a generic idol anime, but if they keep the mood like this first episode, it'll be a good show.

March Comes in Like a Lion
This was good, really like the art. I think this can turn into something great if they do it right.

Occultic;Nine
Very weird and messy. I don't think I like the main characters, but I'll stick it out to see what it becomes.

Izetta, the Last Witch
Was serviceable. I don't expect much, but I'll watch it.

Still need to watch Flip Flappers, but this season seems like it'll be better than what I was expecting.

Eumi

I think I hate every character in this show. And for some reason that actually made it funnier. I'm always down for some mean spirited, unfair insulting of light novels.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 1:

Well then, this isn't so much the dark counterpoint to Shirobako that some claim it is as much as it is the dark counterpoint to a show that was far less popular in Seiyu's Life!

Exalted

March comes like a lion ep 1

Was an enjoyable first episode nice themes and interesting characters , but didn't really feel the show as a whole that much. Felt like there were 2 distinct show put together into one. Some of the tonal shifts were quite sudden and strange, and made the serious parts less enjoyable for me. The art was was quite nice, but man i don't think i'm fond off those faces, especially those thin lips, they look so strange.

BluWacky

- Oboist, huh? She was featured in the promo materials. If she's there even earlier, it makes sense. She prrobably has to make her reeds during practice time too. I'm kinda secretly hoping we get to see someone make an oboe reed, or shave it during practice to fix the tuning or the way it handles. Reed-making is a very time consuming labor of love that is essentially your woodworking skill corresponding to how your performance will sound. They live and die by their reeds. Also, oboe is hard. You practically need lungs like a tuba player to perform properly, and the instrument is probably one of the most finnicky ones to play. The horn is basically the brass equavalent due to the volume of air needed, mouthpiece size for range covered (I can play 4 octaves), and the perfection of embochure to maintain notes. Performing on oboe or horn is basically like performing a highwire act 100% of the time.

I started learning the oboe last year (lifetime ambition previously thwarted by being a flautist, what with the completely different embochures and all) and I'm not sure whether it's lungs of steel or just really effective breathing that's required. With the flute, you can just get rid of all your air and breath; with the oboe, it's all the stale air hanging around because you haven't gotten rid of it that causes me the most problems. I once met an oboist who could do circular breathing; although my teacher tells me this is Satanic for oboists, it seemed like a pretty nifty trick at the time...

Not at the stage where I'm shaping my own reeds, though, ain't got time for that :)

I really do need to get around to watching Euphonium at some point.

jgminto

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On 2
Tigrex is one of the few monsters I actually know so it was cool to see it appear this episode. The CG action seemed decent, I don't watch a lot of shows that contain it but it moved fast and had impact so that was good enough. I like the idea of the players of the mainline Monster Hunter games being the antagonists of the main cast judging from the preview, hopefully they'll do something interesting with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 1:

Well then, this isn't so much the dark counterpoint to Shirobako that some claim it is as much as it is the dark counterpoint to a show that was far less popular in Seiyu's Life!
Naw, Seiyuu's Life is in between the two because it's tries to impose realistic aspirations on the character without making them feel like they are wasting their life.

This show has people who either hate the medium and see it as beneath them or see it as something to exploit, whether for a simple profit motive, to inflate their egos, or in the case of Light Novel Sensei, the opportunity to be in the same room with a girl.

I can't imagine it'll go dark, with stuff like that Love Live "sex" scandal, because this still feels like it's winkwinknudgenudge more than trying to satirize the anime industrial complex.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls & Keijo!!!!!!!! ep. 1's
Both were pretty good for a first episode. Both also seem different than I watched before so pretty hopeful I'll like at least one of these longterm too.

Szadek

Apperently Occultic;Nine appdated 1 entire novel in the first episode.
There are only 2 more volumes left.
So I guess they rushed this episode in order to make more anime orginal content.

TUSR

Banned
The amount of shows CR has this season is insane, membership is really paying for itself after that Funi+CR partnership.

March comes like a lion ep 1

Well, mission accomplished. There was a goal here, and it was to adapt correctly the mix melancholic SoL with a lonely teenager full of anxieties with the warmer tone of the sister's life, just like in the manga, and it was done correctly. I felt as if every part of the episode was working together towards that goal: the pace, the subdued tone at the start, the color schemes, the composition, the artistic style chosen, the little flashback that gives clues towards his past traumas, etc.

TrueBlue

Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 1

Yeah, I'm not too sure this justified the extra twenty minutes. An extra ten, maybe, but not twenty.

The pacing that the show goes at works better for shorter episodes, I think. By the end of this I was just kinda exhaused, and aside from a couple of introductions to new characters, I don't feel much really happened.

The ramifications of the incident of the previous year are palpable, so I'm at least glad the new characters might be pushing that plot point along. That things aren't all super duper happy after last season is good as well.

The aesthetics of the show have been praised to death, so I won't delve too deeply here. I do feel the VA deserves the recognition as well. 'Naturalistic" is an overused adjective, but it does fit.

Kumiko is still an excellent protagonist, though I admit I'm getting tired of her interactions with Shuichi and her sister. Not that they're bad or anything, I just feel they're getting a tad repetitive. She's always indifferent/slightly rude...well, okay that's fine, but considering how much she's developed as a whole, her interactions with these two almost always feel like a retreading.

This isn't really down to her though, and I put this more down to pacing and choice of focus than anything - something that is exacerbated by the running time - but I'd like to see some progress on these scores. That's not to say there's none in this episode, but I'm worried that it will take forever for any significant change. Not a big deal on the whole, just a niggling concern.

That being said, Kumiko is still great, as are the majority of the cast: Reina, Asuka, Hazuki, Natsuki etc. The new characters have the potential to bring some interesting development, so I'm excited to see what theu bring. I feel Midori is still the weak link though - there's not much to her aside from a running gag which wasn't particularly funny the first time. Again though, I think is more down to the focus being elsewhere than anything wrong with the character.

Focus of course being on Kumiko/Reina in terms of characters. I'll go into more depth when I write my Season 1 review, but I feel this relationship and the way it's framed teeters constantly between "wonderfully realised relationship with chemistry off the charts" or "a misguided waste of time that harms not only the two involved but the narrative and characters around them".

I dislike feeling that way, because it's more dependent on what course KyoAni decide to take as opposed to anything wrong with the scenes themselves. The nagging suspicion always remains though, and I think it would be in the best interests of the show to not take too long in clearing it up.

That said, the fireworks scene between the two was great, and I liked the hint of conflict between the two amongst all the sweet talk. Could have done without the whole "I wish I could bottle this moment up forever" shtick at the end, but whatever.

I did enjoy myself though, as negative as this post sounds. I enjoyed the first season to such an extent that I want it to exceed the high standards that it set, even if that is a little unfair.

Still, I'm hooked and ready for the next piece. Bring it on!

EDIT: Sorry for the ramble, heh.

Szadek

Smile Precure - Ep. 8
Loved this episode. It was so funny.
The fight with cure dandy was pretty strong as well.
The monster of week episode are very strong right now, I hope they can keep that up.

I'd say it's common for people to think that cynical and dark = realistic. It's why a lot of people assumed that the Kurobako episode of Hacka Doll was a more accurate portrait of the anime industry than Shirobako even though the director of Hacka Doll said the exact opposite.

Mobile Suit Gundam IBO 27

This was a great episode! We got tons of new info about the crew and what happened to some of the other members.

We also got a look at what happens when the surgery for the system fails and boy were those few scenes grim as fuck. I mean the poor brother could not look any less terrible :/ it was pretty sad.

For the short Barbatos fight, it looked amazing and I really loved the mechanic look of things afterwards.

With that right eye not working Mika looks even more psycho.

Also I really like Atom? characters designs.

Thoraxes

I started learning the oboe last year (lifetime ambition previously thwarted by being a flautist, what with the completely different embochures and all) and I'm not sure whether it's lungs of steel or just really effective breathing that's required. With the flute, you can just get rid of all your air and breath; with the oboe, it's all the stale air hanging around because you haven't gotten rid of it that causes me the most problems. I once met an oboist who could do circular breathing; although my teacher tells me this is Satanic for oboists, it seemed like a pretty nifty trick at the time...

Not at the stage where I'm shaping my own reeds, though, ain't got time for that :)

I really do need to get around to watching Euphonium at some point.

If anything, once you start working on your own reeds, I've been told by friends that playing gets a liiiiiiiiiitle easier because then you can make them according to your own physiology to some degree. From what they tell me, a lot of it has to do with air pressure and consistency of airflow/pressure. So like, not only do you need to push a lot of air, but the flow and how it's focused needs to be much more even.

Also congrats to you for being brave enough to pick up oboe, heh (i'll stick to horn for life!). I only really learned the hands-on basics in an undergrad performance class and boy was it hard. The oboist I played with in a wind quintet for a couple years always complained about her reeds and had a razor nearby almost all the time. And with circular breathing, I struggle with it, but I can only imagine what it'd be like for an oboist.

Are you already using prescription bottles to keep your reeds wet? lol

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 27
Child paralysis and suicide, Okada knows no bounds. Seeing the other side of the A-V System does add more weight to what the Tekkadan Pilots have gone through, that can't be a pleasant procedure. Hush kinda seems like an obnoxious brat but maybe they'll do something interesting with him, there's obviously no way he could surpass Mikazuki as a pilot though. We also got our first sight of the Masked Man in-episode already, which was surprisingly quick. I wonder how long it will take for us to find out his obvious identity.

Exalted

Gundam IBO S2 E2

They resolved the fight from the previous episode quite quicky at the begining thanks to Mika . The rest of the episode was mostly focused on developing the story further, and now we finally have some insight on what S2 will be focused on, well at least at the beginning. Wish they would show more of the new mobile suits.

Thud

Dragon Ball Super 61

How things went:

"Trunks was a mistake, let's kill all humans Zamas".

"Righto Zamas".

Zamas is a better than Frieza confirmed. Part that goku simply instant transmissioned just to punch Zamas was hilarious. However it's finally Trunk's time. Vegeta can watch.

Occultic;Nine - 01
Not as bad as everyone made it seem, and I easily followed the plot threads happening on the screen. Direction left a lot to be desired, but this just felt like one person's opinion being bounced in an echo chamber, I repeat this again, I've seen worse lol. This is NOT the worst show of the year by any stretch of the imagination, and I gotta say the animation was actually quite impressive. Its fallback is definitely the direction that tried to cram way too much into one episode, and tried using the "quick scenes succession" method of storytelling, but it wasn't done too well (breakneck speed is NOT the way to go!) and you end up not really connecting with the characters on the screen when they speak so fast and on top each other.

I'm a big fan of the OP/ED. The girl's design (yeah you know the one) is fucking awful and hilarious at the same time. I'll continue watching since it did manage to catch my interest. If they tone the speed down 2 or 3 notches,
the girl's bust size too for the love of God
, they actually have something cool here.

Girlish Number aka Your Favorite seiyuu is actually a bitch 01

I mean I enjoyed it but man this seems overly cynical by making all the seiyuu come across as mean spirited people. I agree that MC has great reaction faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom