• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strong first episode for 3-gatsu no Lion and All Out!. Keijo!!!!!!!! and Occultic;Nine, not so much. But I' think I'll continue watching Occultic;Nine though.

So far this Season:
3-gatsu no Lion
All Out!
Sound! Euphonium Season 2
Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou
Occultic;Nine

I just watched 3gatsu but I still think Eupho's first episode was better.

Haven't watched many though.

I agree, Sound! was definitely better and probably imo tied for best 1st episode with Haikyu!! this week. But as for a new series, I think 3gatsu had the strongest 1st episode.

Narag

Shigurui beckons.

Ax7Q7k6.gif

Okada Gundam 27

Not feeling this new dudes plotline. Okada plz.

Dragon Ball Super 61

4dYPfcG.jpg
tpAvmes.jpg
94alCtC.jpg
GNM0T9G.jpg

Bro, we're so evil. And immortal. And smug. I love you bro.

Man that was a good-ass episode. Black and Zamasu are great villains just because of how cocky and straight up evil they are. Goku and Trunks getting furious was great, especially when Goku started wrecking for a minute or two. The thing is I have no idea how Trunks, Goku and Vegeta are supposed to win because they can't die and are as strong as they are without the immortality. I hope Whis and Beerus or the King don't end up saving them.

tJxCpIo.jpg
7HwVEZ8.jpg
zBmcd3h.jpg
N7Xkruc.jpg

Bonus smug.

Sölf

So, Occultic;Nine. I now saw this. I get your complaints. I understood like nothing. It felt like the very first episode of Baccano!, but in a bad way. It looks like they wanted to introduce all characters but IT WAS JUST TOO MUCH.

I will give the show 1-2 more episodes. Maybe it gets better. So far, it really rushed past everything.

Narag

zobkstpmez0a.gif

I was going to remind you when the summer was drawing to a close but then I realised people who dare drop such a masterpiece in the middle don't deserve to witness the rest of it. ;)

I think about it weekly but busy with books & 2016 anime atm so saving it for 2017.

Taruranto

Erin 19-21

I really liked that, due to her spending most of her teenagers years living the hippy life with John, Erin had problems inserting herself into a community. It gives her character a realistic flaw. She doesn't understand you can't disappear on people, she doesn't understand she can't eat whenever she want, she doesn't understand she doesn't have a private teacher anymore.
Her village seemed pretty rigid, however. But I guess her mum wasn't so she never learned how to behave into a community.

On other hand, I found weird that everyone was ultimately so accepting of her, she's looks different, and it's from a fantasy race everyone seems to be wary off and it's also given preferential treatment to some degree. I'm kinda glad the writer didn't go for a clichè bully storyline, but on other hand these kids are way to accepting.

jgminto

Y'all are lucky that Chet Rippo ain't here to lay on the smackdown for dissing that Occultic;Nine titty.

Someone let me know if Gundam IBO S2 starts putting newtype magic into the plot so I can laugh at Sunrise for them just not being able to help themselves.
Why don't you just watch it, dude.

BluWacky

So the disjointed storytelling of the Honey and Clover anime is reflective of the original manga? I wasn't sure if that was a problem the adaptation had introduced or a flaw found in the source material.

Apologies for delayed response - it's been a long time since I saw the show or read the manga and don't think I really shared that view of it, but on reflection the story does jump around a fair bit.

I have a few explanations/views on that.

i) The manga itself bounced around between three different anthologies in its serialisation which could lead to a lack of connectedness.
ii) Its ensemble cast is quite often off in separate storylines - for instance, Mayama and Yamada's storyline is often totally separate from everyone else's. 3gatsu does spend much more time focused on Rei, but the primary focus of the story (as much as I've read of the manga) does something similar to HachiKuro in that a lot of time is also spent on the other shogi players that Rei faces.
iii) HachiKuro, particularly in its later stages, felt a lot to me like time was passing in very swift stages. Once we're past Takemoto's trip to Hokkaido, there seem to be many jumps in time in the narrative (particularly when we deal with later events). I took this as the storyline just choosing to show us significant moments in the characters' lives rather than their day-to-day studies, but this is perhaps overly generous given that I thought the show was wonderful.

Perhaps it wouldn't have aged well; I'd love to revisit the show some day now that I'm ten years older and my own university graduation and creative ambitions are some way behind me, and see how I feel about it.

Anyway:

3gatsu no Lion 1

I can't remember who it was up thread who was unsure where the difference between this show and Your Lie in April were and why people like this so much better.

Yes, there is a contrast in tones here. However, to me it's the difference between drama and melodrama. Your Lie in April, from its outset, is designed to be like an anime version of Love Story, the classic 70s weepy film; it's heavy on the tragic foreshadowing to drive its serious scenes and the backstories behind them are fairly over-egged.

3gatsu, on the other hand, grounds its drama in something less extreme, thus making the change in tone less whiplash-esque. I would also venture - although this is personal taste - that the comedy is handled better here; humour arises less out of comedy pratfalls and people hitting each other over the head, and more out of bizarre visual/audio detail (the cats! the morning routine!). The change in tone is also used to emphasise the more serious moments in general, particularly after the sisters leave Rei alone in their house at the top of the second act.

I'm not saying it's all perfect - I'm really not a fan of Nikaidou's voice, for instance - but I think the show is handling its serious and comic sides well.

My doubts about the show being too SHAFT-y, or stripping away Umino's tone, were unfounded; the opening montage, while perhaps a little cliched with its little French song and its shot choices, was particularly effective. The pacing is perfect, particularly during the shogi match, and exposition is handled gracefully at this stage.

Who knows? I might even keep watching it.

brawly

I'm watching summer anime now, because I only binge. Started Mob Psycho and it's pretty good, though no OPM.

Also have Re:Zero and 91 Days on my list. Anything else? Dropped Orange already.

phaze

I'm watching summer anime now, because I only binge. Started Mob Psycho and it's pretty good, though no OPM.

Also have Re:Zero and 91 Days on my list. Anything else? Dropped Orange already.

Thunderbolt Fantasy

I'm seriously serious.

I'm enjoying the new episodes of IBO so far just ok. It isn't anything amazing though.

Most people would say Mob is better than OPM.

Eh in terms of rewatching potential and what I definitely want to own on blu-ray once it's finally fucking out, OPM has it beat. Critically Mob is better I guess.

sonicmj1

Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Mob Psycho gets better as it goes.

Why don't you just watch it, dude.

Because I've yet to hear what makes it worth watching over stuff like Turn A, Big O, VOTOMS, Layzner, Patlabor, and other mecha shows I have to finish/get to.

That and after the garbage that was GBF TRY, I've lost what little confidence I had in Sunrise doing a Gundam sequel properly and am expecting IBO to fall apart later down the line.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but given Sunrise's track record, the chances aren't great.

jgminto

Because I've yet to hear what makes it worth watching over stuff like Turn A, Big O, VOTOMS, Layzner, Patlabor, and other mecha shows I have to finish/get to.

That and after the garbage that was GBF TRY, I've lost what little confidence I had in Sunrise doing a Gundam sequel properly and am expecting IBO to fall apart later down the line.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but given Sunrise's track record, the chances aren't great.
Most of the impressions of the first season and the new episodes were positive and as someone who's all about 2D mecha shouldn't you watch the biggest show this year that actually has them?

Quasar

Sweetness and Lightning. Easily my favourite summer anime.

Exalted

Oh okay, I'm only three eps in so I'll see how it goes. TF is on crunchyroll so I'll give it a whirl.
Heh, i watched both shows and also liked OPM more than Mob, doesn't really get much different even later on. Also i recommend Thunderbolt fantasy and Alderamin.
Runs away from thread.

Most of the impressions of the first season and the new episodes were positive and as someone who's all about 2D mecha shouldn't you watch the biggest show this year that actually has them?

I don't know, I haven't gotten the same impressions from most of the folks I know on Twitter.

All I've heard is that while the show is definetly competent and well-made, what's there that makes it unique enough to separate it from the standard UC-esque Gundam conventions?

Ascheroth

I don't know, I haven't gotten the same impressions from most of the folks I know on Twitter.

All I've heard is that while the show is definetly competent and well-made, what's there that makes it unique enough to separate it from the standard UC-esque Gundam conventions?

Your priorities sure can be weird. Normally you throw yourself at everything that has 2D-mechs regardless of how awful the rest may or may not be.

Thud

Most people would say Mob is better than OPM.

Yes. OPM is good.

However Mob does so many different things in tone, art and visual presentation. Which is already strongly embedded in the OP and ED.

The comparison is not entirely fair tho. I didn't read Mob beforehand as I did with OPM. Before OPM anime even started I was getting sick about all the hype. It turned out more than fine, but that's what was expected.

Mob was a gamble that paid off extremely well. And the emphasis on Reigen was so good, I love it.

Narag

You're a soul weighted down by gravity twitter opinions that you overvalue.

Szadek

March comes in like a lion - Ep. 1
Strangely enough this show wasn't on my redar at all, given how much I like Your Lie in April as well as Studio shaft.
This episode was a very strong start and did a fantatstic job at getting me intrigued.
Quite a few secenes also reminded me of the first Kara no Kyoukai movie, which happens to be another anime I love.
Unless the show shits the bed halfway through, this is could t be my AOTY.

It's okay to like things that others don't. I agree with the others, you of all people should be watching this.

Your priorities sure can be weird. Normally you throw yourself at everything that has 2D-mechs regardless of how awful the rest may or may not be.

It all depends on the show. Me and many others expectations for IBO hit the floor during the reveal where it was stated that Mari Okada was on the project.

And given that she had most recently come off of WIXOSS, the incest-filled Madoka-Yu-Gi-Oh! rip-off, you can bet we weren't happy about it.

I gave Regalia a shot because I had no idea what to expect regarding the staff, and the design of the mechs looked super robot-esque. The plot description was also vague, which made me interested as well.

You're a soul weighted down by gravity twitter opinions that you overvalue.

These are opinions from people I've known from the thread for three years. I watched Gundam 00 S2 + the movie against their warnings and I ended up wasting my time with one of the worst mecha products I've ever seen.

Have people I enjoy reading recommendations from sold me on shows and they were great? Sure. The opposite has happened too, in that something was praised and I just totally hated it, or found it boring. Some of the shows I enjoy the most each season are some that people don't really like or care for. In IBOs case, I've yet to see ANYONE on here speaking badly of it. Seems like your opinions of this show come from a select few that created this strange vacuum for you. You are not them, so why not create your own opinion? If I don't like vinegar and someone respects my opinions (fuck, please do yourself a favour if you exist and don't do that), does that mean that they too can't put vinegar on their salads?!

Yuri on Ice 1

This is personal preference, but I'm not fond of the unrelentingly comedic tone this episode takes. Not that I'm intrinsically opposed to high-energy cartoony works - I can enjoy a show like Heybot after all - but with this kind of material it isn't working for me. The soft backgrounds and warm lighting seem ideally suited for atmospheric meditation, but the show chooses to barrel past most possible moments for repose. The extreme over-acting makes this feel like a typical live-action J-drama, actually, with their focus on highly stylized and exaggerated emotional expression. This is well made, and I'll probably want to watch it all at some point if only for the beautiful background art, but I don't think it'll be a priority to keep up with as it airs.

Apologies for delayed response - it's been a long time since I saw the show or read the manga and don't think I really shared that view of it, but on reflection the story does jump around a fair bit.

I have a few explanations/views on that.

i) The manga itself bounced around between three different anthologies in its serialisation which could lead to a lack of connectedness.
ii) Its ensemble cast is quite often off in separate storylines - for instance, Mayama and Yamada's storyline is often totally separate from everyone else's. 3gatsu does spend much more time focused on Rei, but the primary focus of the story (as much as I've read of the manga) does something similar to HachiKuro in that a lot of time is also spent on the other shogi players that Rei faces.
iii) HachiKuro, particularly in its later stages, felt a lot to me like time was passing in very swift stages. Once we're past Takemoto's trip to Hokkaido, there seem to be many jumps in time in the narrative (particularly when we deal with later events). I took this as the storyline just choosing to show us significant moments in the characters' lives rather than their day-to-day studies, but this is perhaps overly generous given that I thought the show was wonderful.

Perhaps it wouldn't have aged well; I'd love to revisit the show some day now that I'm ten years older and my own university graduation and creative ambitions are some way behind me, and see how I feel about it.

It's the swift passage of time you mention that I think is the sticking point for me. I really liked the first episode of Honey and Clover, but with each subsequent episode it felt like the show jumped some unspecified amount of time forward and character dynamics had shifted off-screen. So I felt it difficult to connect to the characters and follow their individual stories. I'll admit I only got four episodes in, so I can imagine the narrative cohering better as the series progresses, but I found the show much harder to enjoy than I expected.

Thud

March comes in like a lion - Ep. 1
Strangely enough this show wasn't on my redar at all, given how much I like Your Lie in April as well as Studio shaft.
This episode was a very strong start and did a fantatstic job at getting me intrigued.
Quite a few secenes also reminded me of the first Kara no Kyoukai movie, which happens to be another anime I love.
Unless the show shits the bed halfway through, this is could t be my AOTY.

I hope it does well and leaves us at a good point. It can't do everything in the manga now, so a sequel would be nice.

Well I think it will be fine, given the exposure it gets: two live action movies and an anime of 22 episodes.

Digimon Adventure tri. 3: Confession

Hah I thought they would repeat the same thing as the last movie. Two new evolutions and call it a day.

Got something more out of it. I wasn't prepared for that scene with Takeru and Patamon crying. Or Tentomon going all out.

It ain't complete without
a trip to the Digital World
. Obviously there's more stuff going on, but I'm not gonna dwell on that.

Instead, summers in Japan are hot man:

A room temperature of 41 degrees Celsius (105.8 degrees Fahrenheit) is nothing to sneeze at. Meiko's mom is one hell of a woman.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I mean, that's not even sexy. I'm creeped out by that, not titillated (if that was their intention, not a very admirable one), uncanny valley much? Also lmao at the nose. Just noticed that.
Don't think this is an example of uncanny valley.

Or are you saying her cleavage literally creates a valley.

Is Ajin Season 2 not on Netflix for anyone else? I thought it was supposed to premiere 2 days ago?

Netflix doesn't put anime seasons up in Western countries until after they have finished airing in Japan, so Ajin season 2 will not show up there until sometime in January. (Netflix Japan, on the other hand, apparently does add new episodes each week.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom