• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Cardcaptor Sakura 01-09
I guess I did not entirely know what to expect going in to this, but the quality of the production kind of knocked me off my feet. There is a really strong sense of motion, whether it comes in the small scenes of Sakura skating around, elements being swept and directed through magic, or the swings between expressive facial animations. Just beyond that the cast feels multilayered and extremely likable in a way that drags me in and has me wanting to see more. Each episode's contained story feels well realized and creates strong ties between elements of reality and whatever magical cards happen to come into play. Really looking forward to watching more.

I plan to watch Escaflowne after I finish CLAMP school detectives and by then hopefully funimation will have their new ps4 app ready.

Bungo stray dogs s2 14

Honestly I'm kinda surprised but I think the s2 of bungo is one of the better show this season so far. The way they dive into Dazai past and develop things in it is really cool. The dark tone is really cool and following his friend Odasaku's makes for a great story so far.

When they announced a season 2 I was expecting a follow up to season 1, but this surprise story is really nice.

Cardcaptor Sakura 01-09
I guess I did not entirely know what to expect going in to this, but the quality of the production kind of knocked me off my feet. There is a really strong sense of motion, whether it comes in the small scenes of Sakura skating around, elements being swept and directed through magic, or the swings between expressive facial animations. Just beyond that the cast feels multilayered and extremely likable in a way that drags me in and has me wanting to see more. Each episode's contained story feels well realized and creates strong ties between elements of reality and whatever magical cards happen to come into play. Really looking forward to watching more.

Cardcaptor is one of my favorite anime of all time! everything about the story makes me happy and the all the characters were so great!

It's also one of the few anime where I think the anime original story actually made the show much much better.

Glad your enjoying it! Don't forget to watch the last movie, that ending is way to good to miss.

Cardcaptor Sakura 01-09

hora catch you catch you catch me catch me matte

Shin Godzilla

Yeah, that was pretty good. I gotta say, I appreciate that while the film is critical of Japanese government, it's not a cynical movie. It makes its point, but it doesn't lose itself in making it.
Ultimately Godzilla is stopped, maybe only momentarily, thanks to combined efforts of multiple people in various positions in society, including foreigners.
CG looked a bit wonky in places, but that night scene in Tokyo was insane.

Shin Godzilla:
My Kaiju Film Can't Possibly Be This Methodical.

So I finally got to see Shin Godzilla with my Wife and Father. All three of us liked it quite a bit. My Wife walked in not expecting too much and was blown away by how much fun she had. My dad, who's getting on in years, nearly nodded off a few times, but that's par for the course these days. Otherwise he had a lot of fun and thought some of Godzilla's new attacks were incredibly interesting and cool. We all loved the cinematography, the methodical nature of the political process for combating Godzilla, and the pace of the film.

All that said, we all kinda agreed there were a few flaws.

1. Despite us all really enjoying the methodical nature of the film, we agreed that it really can never be done again. It was novel here, but if you had a follow up with the same
overly thorough look into the behind the scenes work it'd take to combat Godzilla,
it'd just be boring the second time around. Anno did a great job selling this unique take and it's one that can't ever be copied, not effectively.

2. Kayoko Patterson's (Satomi Ishihara) English was cringe worthy. Wife couldn't not laugh, father found her dialogue felt terribly unauthentic, and I cringed every time. I kinda wish they'd just said "okay, she can't sound natural, just have her do it in almost all Japanese." Also the late dialogue talking about
her desire to be President felt shoe-horned in to give her a last minute "tough decision" between letting America go boom boom all over Japan, and siding with her Grandmother's birthplace.

3. My Wife tuned both my father and myself into the fact that
Godzilla looks quite "derpy" in certain scenes, especially near the beginning before he evolves. It's hard now not to imagine Godzilla as somewhat, uh, special from that realization and on.

4. The characters are generally poorly serviced. In an effort to really hammer home the methodical portrayal of their battle against Godzilla we're bombarded with so many characters that even if we distill it down to the three "main" characters I feel like I never really got to know them that well. It's not a huge problem, and I still really enjoy the film anyway, and the methodical nature of the battle made for a far more interesting human element than normal (easily bettering every post Bryan Cranston scene from Godzilla 2014), but I don't feel like I really knew any of them outside a very superficial understanding.

And finally, my last point,
while I understand this one is basically a modernized version of the original in some ways, trying to frame Godzilla as a horror, I generally prefer Godzilla as a character. And in this he's nothing more than the film's main monster, bent on-- well I'm not exactly sure why he wanted to get to Tokyo (akihabara trip?) with no discernible personality amongst the rampage.
That's generally fine, just not my preferred take on Godzilla at this point.

Otherwise though we really loved the evolution angle, and I even enjoyed
the less action packed take on defeating Godzilla that involved force feeding him.
I generally enjoyed Godzilla 2014, but feel that this atypical Godzilla film is undoubtedly the better of the two, and stands as one of the stronger Godzilla films. I don't know that it's up there with my favorite like Biollante, Destroyah, etc. but I found it to be definitely high on my list. That said, I dunno how much I'd really want to rewatch it. I enjoyed the methodical angle once, but I don't feel like that'd hold up for me on repeat viewings. (That said, I'm not one who rewatchs stuff a whole lot anyway.)

sasuke_91

what can you guys recommend that is hot fire for someone who loves IBO and Haiykuu.

I try to avoid as much echi/hentai as possible. but can handle a lil bit of fan service.
If you're a sports fan, Hajime no Ippo is a must.

Scratch that. Even if you're not a sports fan, that anime is a must-see.

duckroll

In other news, Reddit has declared Shelter "not anime".

https://twitter.com/porterrobinson/status/788476396171427840

This is dumber than what the Illuminati plans to do with AOTY 2016 here. I already thought we were going to go too far this time, but Reddit just proved they were even sillier, so I guess we can use this to deflect so no one notices our actions yay!

This is even dumber. It actually makes no sense in terms of moderation, and I'm speaking as a moderator here! If you want to maintain the rules, and people think the rules are stupid, you either stick to your guns if you believe the rules are correct, or you reflect and realize maybe there's a point you might have missed and relent because you have a new outlook. Doing the passive aggressive "okay we're relenting to public pressure because of DEATH THREATS, but we still think we're right, you people are TERRIBLE!!" is weak shit.

zulux21

Please recommend me some animes.

I'm looking for something with a smart/ competent MC. With a story that is good for binge watching.

MAL

I don't see code geass..
go have fun with that :p

loved the manga of Baby steps. thank you. keep forgetting it's a anime now.

sports anime that I consider must watches.

Major
Cross Game
Ippo.
One Outs

I like baseball though... though the three baseball anime can be enjoyed just fine by people who don't like baseball, one outs and cross game hold up better if you don't care about baseball as they have far more to them then just the game of baseball while major is mostly just a really well done sports series.

and ippo is just a bad ass series with some awesome animation.

you can have bodies ripped apart, people punched through walls ect... and ippo by far has made me cringe the most at the pain the characters must be feeling as it's done somewhat realistically. plus the main character of ippo vs baby steps are decently comparable as they are train train train must make myself better all around.

Oh no Cornbread got banned?! All the positive animegaf people get banned :/ oh well hoping it won't be for long.

I'm positive sometimes, and I am talking about how sword art online is an enjoyable anime other times :p

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Tawawa on Monday. 1-2.

What the hell is this!? Besides a psa on the need for breast reduction surgery.

Nanbaka 3, I really dig the humor here.

I like that fact Tawawa on Monday provides a regular color version and the traditional blue hue version that we fans have been so used to seeing. Praise the blue titties.

Shelter

That was an ok music video. Not something that would be very interesting longer than that though.

Ascheroth

Please recommend me some animes.

I'm looking for something with a smart/ competent MC. With a story that is good for binge watching.

MAL

Majin Bone
Danball Senki
Code Geass
Girls und Panzer
Alderamin on the Sky
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Kuromukuro
Gundam Build Fighters
what can you guys recommend that is hot fire for someone who loves IBO and Haiykuu.

I try to avoid as much echi/hentai as possible. but can handle a lil bit of fan service.

Majin Bone
Danball Senki
Kuromukuro
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Gundam Build Fighters

Haven't watched much sports anime myself, so I can't recommend much on that front.

Eila

My favorite sports anime/manga is Bamboo Blade but it doesn't rank that favorably on most places. It's about girl's kendo. The first half is close to a panel for panel adaptation, while the second half of the anime strays completely from the manga, but I enjoyed both.
Maybe someone else who has watched it can provide additional input.

Thud

Some older sports anime:

Prince of Tennis
Hikaru no Go
Hajime no Ippo
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (has some fanservice)
Slam Dunk

And Eyeshield 21, preferably the manga.

My favorite sports anime/manga is Bamboo Blade but it doesn't rank that favorably on most places. It's about girl's kendo. The first half is close to a panel for panel adaptation, while the second half of the anime strays completely from the manga, but I enjoyed both.
I loved this series too a big part of the draw for me was Hirohashi Ryou's performance as the protagonist Tamaki. She does a great job delivering a withdrawn reserved person without descending into robot voice. I hadn't known the second half was anime original but it explains some slightly awkward plotting in the last few episodes but well worth the time overall

Aki-at

Damn that topic that claimed Cornbread is a graveyard of grey usernames. And he was always so careful too.

Shin Godzilla:
And finally, my last point,
while I understand this one is basically a modernized version of the original in some ways, trying to frame Godzilla as a horror, I generally prefer Godzilla as a character. And in this he's nothing more than the film's main monster, bent on-- well I'm not exactly sure why he wanted to get to Tokyo (akihabara trip?) with no discernible personality amongst the rampage.
That's generally fine, just not my preferred take on Godzilla at this point.

That was my biggest issue with the film, he seemed more like a mindless abomination but the film did try to use music to try and show him as a more tragic figure. I didn't realise the lyrics in the song was entirely in English heh but adds a lot to ShinGoji.

Though I always prefer Godzilla as some sort of character though, which is why even though Shin Gojira is one of my favourite Godzilla films, it's not my favourite Godzilla. GOAT will always be MegaroGoji to me.

CLXHm7V.gif

Such style, such swagger, such swarve. Best Goji.

TheFlow

Banned
thank you guys for the recommendations.

cross game
slam dunk
one punch man
MHA
FMA(both versions)
Samurai champloo
cowboy bebop
gurren
kuro no basket
killa la kill
first two seasons of jojo

are some of the recent ones I watched in past 2 years or so.

Aki-at

cross game
slam dunk
one punch man
MHA
FMA(both versions)
Samurai champloo
cowboy bebop
gurren
kuro no basket
killa la kill

Season 4 of JoJo is fantastic. Best part, get to it if you haven't watched it!

BluWacky

Es-ca
Flow-ne

When I first read about the series I thought it was pronounced with "flowne" sounding like "clown" or "frown".

Dance of Curse would have sounded very differently lyrically if that was the case...

Anyway, very jealous! Roll on the end of November for the UK release...

cross game
slam dunk
one punch man
MHA
FMA(both versions)
Samurai champloo
cowboy bebop
gurren
kuro no basket
killa la kill

If you want another realistic sport anime with awesone characters try Big Windup!/Oofuri

It's a baseball anime*

TheFlow

Banned
Oh man Baby steps is soooooo good. I love the manga even though it is slow to get updates, and I don't think it has a English publisher yet. But really guys solid animation here, and that is all I could ask for from a sports anime.

mob psycho looks weird but I love comedies. I need to catch up on jojo so I can get to the highly praised 4th part.

but again thank you guys for the recommendations. I copy+pasted all the names to my notebook.

JulianImp

so cornbread got banned, hope it is not perm

I sincerely hope not, because he worked a fair bit towards keeping the community active, and it's always nice to have users with a wide variety of tastes, since you know who to ask about recommendations for specific genres or themes.

Bamboo Blade is great. Pretty much all the characters top to bottom are likable in their own way. I remember when I started it I assumed Dan-kun was going to be an absolutely insufferable character, but ended up being one of my favorites.

JulianImp

ClassicaLoid - #1
I fell in love with this show the moment I realized Beethes' VA was the same as DR's Gundham, and also that he's a main character in here, meaning I'll get to listen to his VA hamming it up every single episode. Ode to joy, indeed...

Then there were dancing ghosts and organ mecha-on-Devastator action, which were okay-ish, but can't even compare to having a large ham be one of the show's lead character... that is pure gold.

Ascheroth

ClassicaLoid - #1
I fell in love with this show the moment I realized Beethes' VA was the same as DR's Gundham, and also that he's a main character in here, meaning I'll get to listen to his VA hamming it up every single episode. Oh, the bliss...
Watch Gintama.

Watch Gintama.

Seriously. Gintama is amazing, and Sugita does an amazing job as Gintoki. Just skip the first 2 episodes, they're a worthless filler special (though later filler actually is really good, the 2 episode special is awful) and it actually only starts covering manga at episode 3. Also, don't ever skip an episode just because they suggest it'll be a recap episode. Just trust me on this

JulianImp

Watch Gintama.

I love hammy characters (FMA's Armstrong, Umineko's Kinzo, DR's Gundham, Re:Zero's Beetlegeuse, and so on), but after Detective Conan I vowed to never pick up a 100-plus episode series again. Then again, I think overexposure to this level of awesomeness will end up burning me out on large ham characters, and I really don't want to live to see that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom