• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

It's not what matters the most, especially now that physical disc sales are decreasing so heavily. What matters, commercially, to an anime project is what each member of the production committee is looking to get out of their investment, whether it is promotion of the manga or novels, tie-in music sales, merchandising, streaming promotion, or whatever. Strong disc sales certainly help an anime be viewed as profitable, but there are a lot of other factors involved depending on the investors in any given project.

I refuse to get my hopes up. But yeah, good point, maybe if it boosted manga sales, or did something else they'll make more.

DNAbro

Can I say I dropped Black Clover without even watching the first episode, cuz i think i just did

You need to experience Asta's voice though.

I feel like Black Clover will be like MHA where it's popularity will explode come season 2 time.

I wonder. I never hear people say great things about Black Clover, mostly that it's okay to good. In fact I only started hearing people talk about BC when the anime was announced. When I started reading MHA I knew it was going to be huge once the anime hit.

I wonder. I never hear people say great things about Black Clover, mostly that it's okay to good. In fact I only started hearing people talk about BC when the anime was announced. When I started reading MHA I knew it was going to be huge once the anime hit.

I dunno, I mean, my thoughts have always been that Black Clover is mediocre/generic to even weak at times. But within the last year I've seen a lot of praise bandied about the various shonen communities. I can't tell if that's just hard shonen lovers talking it up, or if that translates/will translate to a larger, general anime audience following.

Crunchyroll and Fnnimation are also pushing Black Clover a lot as well.

Yeah I imagine that push will translate, at least partially, to a larger following than if it had been sent out to die.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I dunno, I mean, my thoughts have always been that Black Clover is mediocre/generic to even weak at times. But within the last year I've seen a lot of praise bandied about the various shonen communities. I can't tell if that's just hard shonen lovers talking it up, or if that translates/will translate to a larger, general anime audience following.

Yeah I imagine that push will translate, at least partially, to a larger following than if it had been sent out to die.

Also that push could lead to the Toonami block eventually since they love this type of show.

Black Clover is gonna be a hit with the Naruto/Fairy Tail crowd. When I read MHA it wasn't until chapter 4 when I knew this would be big, for black clover it took a few more chapters when Asta (super minor spoilers for something you see in the series poster)
joined the Black Bulls.

Jarmel

Banned
Black Clover- 1

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

DNAbro

Crunchyroll and Fnnimation are also pushing Black Clover a lot as well.

s0yQnon.png

I saw this when I loaded up the site and thought just calm down for a sec. Declaring a show with one episode "the new king" is pushing it.

I guess I'm watching it though. For now.

s0yQnon.png

I saw this when I loaded up the site and thought just calm down for a sec. Declaring a show with one episode "the new king" is pushing it.

Yeah that's pretty obnoxious. I sorta hate how anime advertisements have become "critics are saying this is the greatest thing yet!" except cut out the critics part and "We're saying that this thing, that we have the license to, that we want to make money from, is the greatest thing yet!"

Thud

I feel like Black Clover is part Naruto, part Fairy Tail, part Blue Exorcist...

I mean, it's still more enjoyable than all of the ones I've cited, at least for now...

It's cookiecutter shonen battle manga, but it's pretty good.

The reason why I think it's better than the rest is because it hasn't passed its expiration date yet.

Jarmel

Banned
If you watch Black Clover, I have no fucking clue why you would, then I would recommend to watch it with the mute button pressed.

DNAbro

People who make unfounded claims that things are "king" annoy me.

hmm

Yeah that's pretty obnoxious. I sorta hate how anime advertisements have become "critics are saying this is the greatest thing yet!" except cut out the critics part and "We're saying that this thing, that we have the license to, that we want to make money from, is the greatest thing yet!"

I mean I get it, gotta make the money so you gotta hype it no matter what but I wonder what the general sentiment will be in a few weeks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
s0yQnon.png

The shonen phenomenon that everyone is talking about

VbYDVAz.gif

daveo42

Banned
s0yQnon.png

How long til it succumbs to a fate similar to Bleach? Or is it already there?

DNAbro

Well Bleach was successful at first right? While the anime was filler hell the manga was doing okay till everything post Aizen

There is no way to really tell if BC will catch on, but that first episode will probably some turn people away.

People have been constantly saying that this is the next Dragon Ball for a long-ass time, and it was One Piece, Naruto and HxH. Now they looking for the next Naruto and...its MHA I guess?

Hey at least Crunchyroll are promoting The Ancient Magus Bride a lot, in fact I would say more so than Black Clover. So it's all good in the end lol.

The thing is Bleach was great until post Soul Society arc and Huenco Muendo being alright. Can't say the same for Black Clover.

Black Clover isn't anything special or does anything unique. I think it's good, but not great and not bad, it's a series I read every week but it's not something I get excited about when a new chapter is out, but I still enjoy though.

The series does get better, I say give it till episode 3/4 where they'll introduce the other characters, who are much more interesting than Asta. Also, Asta does become more likeable or at least tolerable later on.

hmm

I mean I get it, gotta make the money so you gotta hype it no matter what but I wonder what the general sentiment will be in a few weeks.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your POV, Crunchyroll has a lot of die-hard fans who pretty easily buy into whatever Crunchyroll hypes. I'm reasonably sure it'll find a following, either large or extremely vocal.

People have been constantly saying that this is the next Dragon Ball for a long-ass time, and it was One Piece, Naruto and HxH. Now they looking for the next Naruto and...its MHA I guess?

In terms of manga sales it sells a lot less than what Naruto did. Naruto sold a million plus per vol while MHA even with an anime sells 500k plus per vol.

Also MHA hasn't had a defining arc like the Chunni exam in Naruto. Heck I don't even think MHA has had a arc that's better than Zabuza one.

One Piece has already surpassed Dragon Ball in Japan though in terms of popularity. Then again I don't think anything can surpass One Piece in Japan.

Edit: Maybe MHA can be the next Naruto in the West?

One Piece has already surpassed Dragon Ball in Japan though in terms of popularity. Then again I don't think anything can surpass One Piece in Japan.

In terms of raw sales yes, but One Piece/Oda hasn't surpassed Toriyama. He still is attached to Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, and tons of video game series, most notably Dragon Quest.

Oda can probably get there in a decade or so. He already makes something like 2,000,000,000 yen a year in royalties. Hes like sacrificing his health for dreams, just like Luffy!

Top Bottom