• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Some Nobody

Shonen haters are disgusting. Aren't some of you big fans of idol anime? People in glass houses, yo.

Edit: Ah fuck, top of the page lol. Oh well, I was willing to defend this opinion anyway.

Shokugeki no Soma: Third Plate, Episode 1 - Erina's new VA does a spot on impression of her original, so that's good. It's a bummer they relegated the Elite 10 introduction to being an OVA.

Ohhhhhhhhh sheeeiiit! It's back! Hype. Watching later today!

Sucks to Erina's VA changed. And it sounds like they didn't do fantastic job recapping the OVA.

Stop leaning on those two so much.

Lmao. That'll never happen. :p

Shonen haters are disgusting. Aren't some of you big fans of idol anime? People in glass houses, yo.

Edit: Ah fuck, top of the page lol. Oh well, I was willing to defend this opinion anyway.

It's okay. You're not wrong.

I don't think there's enough source material for a 2 cour, much less any kind of logical stopping point.

This is going to be the season where people get pissed off, I think.

I can imagine it being 2-cour if they go up to
the rematch with Hayama.

Ohhhhhhhhh sheeeiiit! It's back! Hype. Watching later today!

Sucks to Erina's VA changed. And it sounds like they didn't do fantastic job recapping the OVA.

Yeah, they spent the first couple of minutes recapping it. I really wish that material was either the finale of last season or the opener here.

It would be very weird if they even got up to
the Winter Exam section since they don't actually finish and still aren't finished. Like, it still hasn't ended and isn't anywhere close to ending.

I think some people will end up rioting when they realize Megumi gets hugely demoted and Erina gets hugely promoted this season.

I mean, so what? The first cour covered up to the preliminaries of the fall classic, so it's not like they care if they have to split up an arc between cours

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can imagine it being 2-cour if they go up to
the rematch with Hayama.

Which would be hilarious because that specific part was hugely unpopular in the source material. But the pacing would have to be glacial to get to 2 cours to get to that part.

I mean, so what? The first cour covered up to the preliminaries of the fall classic, so it's not like they care if they have to split up an arc between cours

I mean mostly that the arc they'd have to get to literally isn't finished in the source material and not even close to finished now. Then again, the fact that they got 3 seasons at all is still kind of crazy to me. I think we had all figured it was dead after season 1.

daveo42

Banned

Shounen is fine, but far too many are just copypasta of better shounen. I'd say there are few great shounen series, a few good ones, and a ton of trash.

All idol shows, on the other hand, are bad.

The thing with idol anime over shounen anime though, is that Idol anime for the most part are about this overall sense of happiness and are mostly there just for you to enjoy a group of characters interacting with each other.

No matter how bad the Idol scenes are (like LL's CG dancing), the fans of it don't care since the interactions with the girls are cute and fun enough to more than make up for it.

With shounen shows, there's always a SERIOUS overarching plot to grab the viewer, plus characters having to be set up and go on journeys, it has to nail the action otherwise those shows can easily lose the viewer. There's plot twists, character deaths, and everything else that can exhaust the viewer if it's done the same way as many other shounens, and can get easily tiring.

Cornbread78

Man, I just realized, again, how much crap I want to check out this season:

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara
Black Clover
Just Because!
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Ousama Game The Animation
Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na Ken
3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Code:Realize: Sousei no Himegimi
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
Imouto sae Ireba Ii
Net-juu no Susume
Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara
Itsudatte Bokura no Koi wa 10 Centi Datta
Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyokina, Mondaiji
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Yuusha no Shou
Mahoutsukai no Yome

I'm like the biggest battle shonen fanboy in here who watches more then just battle shonen but Black Clover isn't the series to die on a hill for, I'll gladly watch Love Live instead

The thing with idol anime over shounen anime though, is that Idol anime for the most part are about this overall sense of happiness and are mostly there just for you to enjoy a group of characters interacting with each other.

No matter how bad the Idol scenes are (like LL's CG dancing), the fans of it don't care since the interactions with the girls are cute and fun enough to more than make up for it.

With shounen shows, there's always a SERIOUS overarching plot to grab the viewer, plus characters having to be set up and go on journeys, it has to nail the action otherwise those shows can easily lose the viewer. There's plot twists, character deaths, and everything else that can exhaust the viewer if it's done the same way as many other shounens, and can get easily tiring.

Well Black Clover didn't show any of it's action in episode 1, though if you're interested in it odds are you'll give it more wiggle room to introduce how the fighting will work.

And I could argue that generic happy idol girls gets repetitive when its the same drama/non drama and cute girls doing cute things every series. At the end of the day people like what they like.

Which would be hilarious because that specific part was hugely unpopular in the source material. But the pacing would have to be glacial to get to 2 cours to get to that part.

I mean mostly that the arc they'd have to get to literally isn't finished in the source material and not even close to finished now. Then again, the fact that they got 3 seasons at all is still kind of crazy to me. I think we had all figured it was dead after season 1.

Not really? There's around 80 chapters between where season 3 is starting and where that match ends.

Some Nobody

If you're watching shonen for serious plots and not FRIENDSHIPS and fight scenes, then You Are Already Dead you've already made a mistake.

I'm like the biggest battle shonen fanboy in here who watches more then just battle shonen but Black Clover isn't the series to die on a hill for, I'll gladly watch Love Live instead

Hot Take: Black Clover's better than Bleach. It's not top tier, but it's enjoyable enough. I've read the first 100 chapters and I'll be honest and say I like it better than I did Bleach at the same point.

Edit: Before this gets carried away. I don't hate idol series. Fuck, I don't even watch them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not really? There's around 80 chapters between where season 3 is starting and where that match ends.

Yeah, but a lot of it is stuff I can't really see being paced that slowly. I mean, we'll find out, but I'd honestly be a little surprised if they went that far.

I fuck with Battle Shonen, i just think Black Clover had a weak opening episode. Like, i don't want to compare the two, but when I look back at something like Naruto, it did a better job laying out the character motivation and why the main character acts the way he does in the opener.

I'm hopeful Black Clover does the same, and from the looks of the next episode preview it looks like we will be getting a flashback backstory. So yeah, I'm, and I think most us, are just posting our honest first impressions. I don't think it's a matter of being a "shonen hater."

I fuck with Battle Shonen, i just think Black Clover had a weak opening episode. Like, i don't want to compare the two, but when I look back at something like Naruto, it did a better job laying out the character motivation and why the main character acts the way he does in the opener.

I'm hopeful Black Clover does the same, and from the looks of the next episode preview it looks like we will be getting a flashback backstory. So yeah, I'm, and I think most us, are just posting our honest first impressions. I don't think it's a matter of being a "shonen hater."

The first chapter did for some reason the anime team decided to keep that for the second episode.

Thud

Stuff like One Piece is something you only see once every 20 years.

Black Clover is something you can see every other year.

Just stating the difference here.

Erheller

Paranoia Agent 01-12

Oh uh ok that happened I guess
That was a pretty wild ride. So the cause of all the paranoia was Tsukiko, who created Lil' Slugger as a child and used it as an excuse when she couldn't create another mascot as successful as Maromi (which she ironically created with Lil' Slugger himself). Not really sure what was up with the old dude who dies and the young detective who becomes his apprentice of some sort. I'll have to rewatch this at some point now that I know the trajectory of the plot. It's kind of like FLCL where I get the overall plot, but I miss out on a ton of details because my mind is going "wtf" most of the time.

The ending seemed to be really abrupt? Did I miss a scene at the end (my friend stopped the playback as soon as the ending song started playing, ugh I hate it when he does that)? The last thing I saw was the inspector's wife in an elevator at the hospital with the old creepy dude that died earlier.

Episode 8 was amazing. The series in general was great, I really liked it. Although maybe "liked" is the wrong word to use.

Jūni Taisen, Girls' Last Tour.

Fall season started quite okay, and it looks like Jūni Taisen could be a neat battle royale series with the additional Nision magic.

Stuff like One Piece is something you only see once every 20 years.

Black Clover is something you can see every other year.

Just stating the difference here.

And yet every year Jump throws a bunch of series at the wall and most of them fail. Black Clover for better or worse has grown a pretty sizeable fan base from just the manga.

And yet every year Jump throws a bunch of series at the wall and most of them fail. Black Clover for better or worse has grown a pretty sizeable fan base from just the manga.

Getting all of the naruto fanbase and coming just as Naruto ended worked really well for it. Im glad as its the 2nd licensed jump series I look forward to week after week.

Some Nobody

The opening wasn't strong even in the manga. It takes a while to get going but I feel like it hits cool shit quicker than Naruto. That's just to me though.

bleach isn't exactly a high bar

It's not. By the end of it all Bleach sucked. And I used to be a big Bleach fan. But at first people loved Bleach--up to the Soul Society arc, I'd say. And that's the argument I'm making. I'd place the first 100 chapters of BC above Bleach.

Chase17

It was the ping pong OVA.

https://imgur.com/a/7XSNU

It was the most recent OVA if I'm not mistaken.
Ah. Guess I should see if I can check it out then.

So based on Soma's opening, I'm guessing a 2 cour since I doubt they'd be able to fit all the material hinted at in 1 cour

They could go very fast and end with Erina speech/before going to Hokkaido if it is one cour.

Though maybe they wouldn't just want character stuff to end the season, since the last major match before that is Tsukasa vs Soma, and the Erina stuff would probably need two episodes.

phaze

You've just made the list.

Pretty sure I have been there since my Soredemo watch.
nfiuplvklr15.png

I warmed to her quite a bit actually since that time.

Food Wars S3 ep1

Wished they showed the elite ten part, I recommend people to either watch the OVA or the manga chapters of those. Overall a good start of the season, Erina new voice will take a while to get into but I like it so far.

Based on the opening this season will definitely cover the moon banquet arc and
Central arc
. Don't know if they can fit everything into 13 episodes but I wouldn't be surprised since this episode moved pretty fast and they managed to put a lot into season 2 13 episodes. So I assume this season would end on
After Soma vs Tsukasa and Cooking for Erina.

Thud

And plently gets rejected a serialization. I'm just saying Black Clover isn't anything special. It does well enough to continue on its own while doing nothing new.

Not that it matters to the kids.

Cornbread78

I like Megumi-chan as much as the next person but Erina isn't...that bad...
Why are you punishing yourself?

You an me are now fighting... Like, outside, right now, circle up to hide us from the adults.......

Erina is $hit. Not just $hit, but wet, chunky, smelley and inhuman $hit.....

I hate how the show tries to constantly ship Soma with Erina. He needs a real woman, not an uppity, tsundere, bit(h monster.....

Xia has it right.... Megumi is true wifey material.

Now, on hamster girl? Yeah, she sucks, but the show was at least fun to watch!

Angry Grimace

Not to burst your bubble guys, but this season is gonna have a lot of Erina, so hopefully this doesn't bug you.

A lot of my hate for some sounds come in later down the line where issues are more apparent.

Idol anime is kind of hard to marathon but they can be fun watches.

I mean at least yuou guys are getting stuff. I'm lamenting magical girl stuff since it's either grimdumb, or trashy af. And Pretty Cure. Not enough shows in the range of friendliness as Precure.

Top Bottom