• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
re:zero
made in abyss
yuri on ice
My hero acedamia

are the first couple that come to mind for me.

edit: konosuba was an animegaf favorite.
Youjo Senki was surprisingly enjoyable but not above the others I listed
Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan was a decent comedy
and relife was surprisingly enjoyable for the plot.

Neat, thanks. Actually I lied. I did watch Yuri on Ice. I thought it was great. I'll check out the other ones.

I watched season one of Voltron and could not understand how any one would find it appealing at all.

It's not up to the pedigree of the people who made it, it looks awful, the jokes are flat.

It's not even a particularly good remake of Voltron. Nowhere near as interesting as the original series.

I liked S1 and S2 but my biggest gripe with Voltron is that it has too many jokes. I wish it was a little more serious. A better balance would have been nice. Havent started 3 yet but I'm reading some mixed reviews about it.

I will never understand people's obsession with the mediocre volley ball anime when so many other great sports anime exist :/

go watch/read a real sports anime like Ippo :p

I
will forever be bitter towards Haikyuu for getting a decent budget to have really nice animation, while the series I felt had the far superior cast Baby Steps got completely shafted animation wise and thus didn't gain any popularity.

Fight me 😡

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I
will forever be bitter towards Haikyuu for getting a decent budget to have really nice animation, while the series I felt had the far superior cast Baby Steps got completely shafted animation wise and thus didn't gain any popularity.

Pfffft, whatever. Oofuri got even worse and I feel was better than either of those! At least Baby Steps got a full cour for it's second season and was aired in HD for both seasons in comparison to Oofuri. And it had the handicap of being aired before the recent sports anime craze.

Yes, Ippo is the standard, but it also got the benefit of a very long run.

Jarmel

Banned
To follow up on an earlier conversation, I was able to find time to take pictures of my 'serious' Cowboy Bebop cels.
g3Au8B6.jpg

vnE2f3U.jpg

kArGe4H.jpg

petran79

Banned
Caught up again with some series I had missed for various reasons:

Shirobako:

Second episode was so bad I dropped the series. Decided to start it again after few weeks and did not regret it. Fortunately explanations of the technical process involving animation werent that tedious. I liked more that they reconciled the old with the new and hand drawn animation and CGI. I wish more series would have done that. Memorable characters and touching moments as well

Speed Grapher:

I wished I had seen this instead of the mediocre Gungrave few years ago. As a whole I found it a very solid series. Not as deep and thoughtful as intended though. But we are talking about Gonzo anyway.

Read or Die OVA:

Nothing special. Just a typical action OVA. A pity because it had potential. But it lacks the substance necessary for action series. No interest in the TV series after this.

Ghost Hound:

R.Nakamura, C.Konaka, Production IG. Ingredients for a classic. Unfortunately it does not reach Lain or Texhnolyze status, though they share some similarities.But if you consider that Nakamura and S.Kon, the masters of mystery series are not with us anymore, this should be a classic by todays standards.

Casshern Sins:

Having watched the original first, I did not like that reimagining at all. It would have worked perfectly on Astro Boy (See Pluto). They didnt even include the name of one villain of the orignal series in the series (just Grave Keeper). Probably during that time not many bothered with the original, hence the high scores. Original is a classic.

Katanagari:

A blasphemy to some but I put this series on the same level with Samurai Champloo. Dialogues after episode 2 arent as bothersome and action scenes are very good, especially the last episode. Difficult to be labelled as a classic.

Heartcatch Precure!:

A classic with amazing animation. In the end I thought I was watching Gurren Laggan. Even top shonens would be jealous. Havent watched any Precure before but this is as good as traditional maho shojo can get. Princess Tutu remains the best of the non-traditional maho shojo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live Sunshine - Episode 2

RIP Ruby, the only first year who offers nothing to the anime. It's not her fault though, she was gutted of many of her traits and they were given to other characters for some reason.

One of her traits is she's afraid of men…………

…………in a world with no men.

zulux21

major 2nd anime airs in april
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-16/major-2nd-tv-anime-premieres-in-april-2018/.122773

should be an enjoyable enough watch. I read the first 20 chapters or so and it was more focused on daily life than sports at that point, but clearly heading towards sports and the new cast was decent.

the only really weird thing was how often Goro's daughter was shown in her underwear.
either way I am hoping like the original Major series that it gets a 25-26 episode season every year or so, as they have 11 volumes to work with now which should be more than enough to adapt 2 chapters per episode, and since it's a new weekly manga should allow them to never catch up or need filler if they do 25eps at two chapters each (much like how the original major did it)

duckroll

Shirobako:
Second episode was so bad I dropped the series.

Speed Grapher:

I wished I had seen this instead of the mediocre Gungrave few years ago.

Read or Die OVA:
No interest in the TV series after this.

Ghost Hound:

this should be a classic by todays standards.

Casshern Sins:
I did not like that reimagining at all

Katanagari:
I put this series on the same level with Samurai Champloo.

Heartcatch Precure!:
In the end I thought I was watching Gurren Laggan.

H
O
T

T
A
K
E
S
!!

Clov

Houseki no Kuni 02

I guess Bort's a more common name than The Simpson's led me to believe.

That was some serious body horror stuff going on near the end. Poor Phos! I have no idea how they'll get them back after this...

Imouto sae Ireba Ii. 02

I know it's slightly different me being a guy and all, but I'm not sure how I'd react if one of my friends asked to fondle me in order to write their story better.

Silver haired girl will end up with MC, college girl will give up and settle for MC's friend. Calling it.

sasuke_91

Made in Abyss - 13

WHAT. THE. FUCK. AGAIN!!!
I almost cried man. That Nanachi/Mitty scene was too much for my little heart.
I already wondered how they would finish the story in the 45 minutes remaining. Turns out they don't :p
Season 2 when? This is some serious AotY material!

Voltron Season 3

Yesssh, that is a pretty sharp drop from season 2.

Also, what the fuck at that last episode. That backstory should have been like half the season. It's only the entire summary of everything important that's ever happened in this universe.

Yeah I agree, I complained as much about that in my review for S3. I dunno that half a season would've been needed, by scrunched in one episode was a really stupid idea. Needed at least two, if not three episodes to do it right.

If you guys had to recommend one show from the past year or two what would it be? The last thing I watched was Mob Psycho, and that seems like ages ago already. Feels like I'm outta the loop lately.

Hand Shakers.

It had good sentiment, highlighted new advances in the medium visually, sounded amazing, and offered really tight storytelling.

KtSlime

Imouto sae Ireba Ii. 02

I know it's slightly different me being a guy and all, but I'm not sure how I'd react if one of my friends asked to fondle me in order to write their story better.

Silver haired girl will end up with MC, college girl will give up and settle for MC's friend. Calling it.

I watched the first episode, however the voices are different than how I imagined them when reading the books, and I prefer Kantoku's illustrations to Silver Link's animation so have stopped. The weirdest thing about the anime however is the English title, I mean it's not a wrong translation, but it doesn't work in the context of the series.

It probably won't happen in the anime, but Nayuta is with Itsuki, but Miyako has enough self respect to not get with Haruto

A Little Sister Is All You Need - 02

Never thought "gay" would be censored.

It's done that way because Hirasaka Yomi wrote it that way.

Edit: After checking and while the book does censor some words, usually キチガイ, the words ホモアピール was not. But I am sure it was done simply to be in that style.

Chase17

Whoops I flipped the name. It is actually the very recognizable Geno studio.

I guess they were founded in 2015, and their only credit so far is completing the Genocidal Organ film after the original producers went bankrupt during it.

They announced two other series as well.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - 2

Oddly, I like this better than the mango, think it has something to do with the VAs/OST?
Think the mango did a better job creating a brooding atmosphere with it's landscape shots but it felt a bit boring.

Great OP/ED too
O2Z3zze.gif

Daemul

One of her traits is she's afraid of men............

............in a world with no men.

The first time I saw that it got a chuckle out of me, but thinking about it, I've realised that I've become so accustomed to all these cute girl anime having little to no male presence in them, that whenever I run into the rare one where the male characters have more than a minor role it just feels off to me.

I gotta get to watching Love Live some time.....

You should, it's good. If you're so inclined also check out the manga, I think it's even better than the anime tbh

Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan

Very typical OVA material, if it being tied to JJBA makes you expect more then don't. Lacking almost all of the flavor, direction and style of the Diamond is Unbreakable TV series for the first half but it gets better in the second.

Since the Rohan one-offs were written sporadically long after DiU finished up they look far different due to Araki's famous shifting art styles. This one is from 2012 during the JoJolion era, so it looks like Part 8 - although the animators kinda tried to make it look more like Part 4.

And there isn't a Part 5 teaser at the end, although we would've heard that by now if there was

casiopao

Guess not many watch Houseki no Kuni?O_O

A bit sad that they are going CG heavy as i really love how beautiful the series is on manga.T_T

At least, the CG background art all looks beautiful.^_^ And of course Phos is still as baka as he is in the manga lol.

Ctlead

Banned
Made in Abyss - 13

WHAT. THE. FUCK. AGAIN!!!
I almost cried man. That Nanachi/Mitty scene was too much for my little heart.
I already wondered how they would finish the story in the 45 minutes remaining. Turns out they don't :p
Season 2 when? This is some serious AotY material!

It only gets worse in the manga.

BEST DAD

Serious

It probably won't happen in the anime, but Nayuta is with Itsuki, but Miyako has enough self respect to not get with Haruto

I mean, that happens in volume 6, and episode 2 just finished volume 1, so it's right on pace to end with them getting together, which I have to assume is the most logical potential endpoint.

Ascheroth

Guess not many watch Houseki no Kuni?O_O

A bit sad that they are going CG heavy as i really love how beautiful the series is on manga.T_T

At least, the CG background art all looks beautiful.^_^ And of course Phos is still as baka as he is in the manga lol.
No, many are watching. It's called Land of the Lustrous in english :p
Also the CG looks really good. Love the hair.

KtSlime

I mean, that happens in volume 6, and episode 2 just finished volume 1, so it's right on pace to end with them getting together, which I have to assume is the most logical potential endpoint.

Really? Did they increase the pace, because the first episode only covered the first two chapters of the first book. Did episode 2 already introduce
Puriketsu and Ashley
?

With the first episodes pacing I would have figured it would end either at the end of book 2 or
when Puriketsu and Chihiro 'meet'

sasuke_91

It only gets worse in the manga.

BEST DAD

I really think about reading the manga, but binge watching this when it finished airing was a good idea, so I don't know if I can take it, waiting week after week for a chapter to be released.
Also, quoting you revealed the spoiler. Good thing I have no idea what it's supposed to mean and who you're talking about :p

Made in Abyss had some of the best world building I've seen in a while. I'm genuinely happy with how this show turned out.

casiopao

No, many are watching. It's called Land of the Lustrous in english :p
Also the CG looks really good. Love the hair.

Nice.^_^ I really follow the manga religiously lol. I love how it take some aspect from Buddhist concept about Bone, Flesh and Mind. Hell, the plot actually takes quite a turn in the manga so i am soo hyped about the anime right now lol.

Top Bottom