• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Dragon Ball Super 111
So why didn't Saiyan Team 6 just push Jiren off? Dude is strong, but I'm sure a powerful enough blast could have pushed a man stuck in time the five feet needed to knock him out.
I know the answer is Goku v Jiren 2, but U6 deserves to lose after failing at simple teamwork

Yeah, Hit's master plan had a lot of holes in it. Even ignoring the whole
Jiren started overpowering the time stoppage
I was thinking what was his plan to stop Toppo or Dypso from attacking him since he's wide open?

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 36

Oh hey, they finally remembered that Ichika and Akira are neighbors took them long enough. How many festivals and special guests does this town have anyway? Free for all Precure brawl! Except Ichika and Akira get to team up. Of course they're going to win. Bibury is still alive. Poor Himari stood no chance. Props to Aoi for matching a high schooler. I guess the animals have an even bigger connection to their Cure. I think Yukari just wanted to look down on everyone. Maybe Diable is getting stronger, but he looks even dumber now. Though it seems Elisio is egging Grave on. I hope Elisio is the real final boss.

And some movie stuff. Seems like they're going to France. Again. They're probably tying it into the show with some shared characters with a focus on Ciel. I can get behind that-what the hell! Mirai and Riko? What are they doing here? Is this just a cameo, or are they building on the connection between the two series?

daveo42

Banned
dude did you see his barrier?

Jiren could still beat them while meditating, they couldnt even pierce his barrier

You didn't need to damage him, just get him off the stage. Even blowing up the edge of it would have meant him tipping backwards. Plus, it took Jiren a few moments to actually start pushing back against Hit's attack, leaving time for one last push. Hit's plan was flawed if only because Jiren isn't allowed to be knocked out at this point.

You didn't need to damage him, just get him off the stage. Even blowing up the edge of it would have meant him tipping backwards. Plus, it took Jiren a few moments to actually start pushing back against Hit's attack, leaving time for one last push. Hit's plan was flawed if only because Jiren isn't allowed to be knocked out at this point.

To be fair if I was in this tournament and saw this guy take out the two other strongest competitors fairly easily I'd go the other way and hope for the best even if he was asleep

daveo42

Banned
To be fair if I was in this tournament and saw this guy take out the two other strongest competitors fairly easily I'd go the other way and hope for the best even if he was asleep

I would too, but it seemed like Kale, Caulifla, and Cabba were ready to jump in and Hit said, I got this instead of taking the help. Maybe they would have tried and failed, but I blame the lack of trying on Hit and more so on needing Jiren to both stay in the tournament and out of the fight.

mankoto

A Little Sister Is All You Need - 02
Kuae1gC.jpg
RSD1h6l.jpg

zelcwSf.jpg
6ONepZB.jpg

Never thought "gay" would be censored.

The new A Little Sister Is All You Need seems a little homophobic

Kira Kira Precure A la Mode 35-36

After forgetting about watching 35, I decided to spend some time on this. They did at least break things off in slightly odd ball pairings instead of relying on the usual Yukari x Akira stuff, although honestly, it feels more like a case of too many cooks for this show. There's various elements that are still underplayed, which doesn't help when time is consumed by more lack luster than usual fights because cream spam is the name of the game this season (and probably from here on out).

Himari is so lacking and it pretty much shows even in episodes where she gets dedication since it's treated like a joke. I'm not sure why Ciel is around beyond Merch, and it's pretty bad considering we already have a large cast as it is. There's more regards to side characters for the season at least

Jex

[Ancient Magus Bride] - 2

Is it just me, or is the editing in this episode really bad? There's a few really odd cuts that feels like sections of time are just missing and as a result the flow of events is very confusing.

Erheller

[Ancient Magus Bride] - 2

Is it just me, or is the editing in this episode really bad? There's a few really odd cuts that feels like sections of time are just missing and as a result the flow of events is very confusing.

I didn't have an issue with the editing in most of the episode, but the Iceland stuff at the end was edited really badly.

I didn't have an issue with the editing in most of the episode, but the Iceland stuff at the end was edited really badly.

I think it was deliberately meant to be confusing, in order to provoke a “come back next week” cliffhanger, but there’s no question it’s disorienting. The beginning of episode 3 actually goes back and expands upon those Iceland moments in a fuller, less disorienting way.

sasuke_91

Made in Abyss - 10

WHAT. THE. FUCK!!
I was at the edge of my seat for the whole second half of the episode. That was some heart wrenching shit. Seriously didn't expect this.
I was waiting for Nanachi to appear for some time now. She seems like a character that I'll like.

Thud

Dragonball Super 111

Nice Hit.

Should have just blasted the ground.

Although I'm guessing Jiren can
control space and can knock itself back in the stage.

Aki-at

The Girl Who Lept Through Time

Bought three of Hosoda's works on Wednesday and this was the first I decided to give a watch through.

All I knew about this beforehand was a girl would quite literally, leap through time but the menu for the blu ray already told me Chiaki would play a larger role but when it got to the confession scene I thought it was just that, which is another thing, I wasn't expecting this to turn into a romance film! The piece is beautifully animated and there's nothing more I can add from all the critical acclaim this film has received, lovely backgrounds, great characters, the dynamic between the trio was something I really enjoyed and feel like you were watching a group of friends.

The time travel mechanic could be a bit... convenient in how it works at the end
if we suppose that Chiaki going back in time gave Makoto one leap back, why is it specifically 1 considering at that point he should be able to have given her a few extra ones if he goes back far enough... Also how come he lost his memory of telling her of his background however she retained the memory of Kousuke dying... Which she shouldn't have any memories of if he averted that from even happening?
not that it really matters, I know time travel stories aren't meant to be unfathomable, wibbly woobly whamey timey stuff etc.

Really excited to check out the other two films I purchased from Hosoda's directorial works (Summer Wars and The Boy and the Beast) because this one already left a good impression on me and I've got to say I love when stories can work in multiple characters who even in such little screen time (Like aunty Witch) you can vividly recall, a highly entertaining science fiction comedic romance. 9/10

Blade Runner 2049

Top ten anime
deaths: poor virtual waifu and poor Joe ;_;

It's a toss up between this and Logan as my favourite films of the year and since I'm massively biased with any film starring Hugh Jackman, that's something. Can't wait for this to release on blu ray so I can just screencap everyshot. My only disappointment was this was less focused on city life and more about the character's interaction with the world and the questions it posed. It's still a worthy follow up and maybe even better, but I'll have to rewatch the original before I can truly say which I prefer. Good stuff, watch it if you haven't.

Wake Up Girls! New Chapter 1

This is the first episode I watched, and within the first minute I was confused because I wasn't exactly sure what they were doing. I don't think watching the other ones would help me here since it wasn't much of a storyline thing.

I certainly feel off about the general designs of the characters, and whatever problem they came across (still acting like newbies despite reaching the top) is incredibly minor given what people in this thread have referenced to this show in the past.

Not exactly what I'd consider a strong start.

EDIT: And this certainly had some... interesting angles to put it lightly.

Lemon Angel Project 2

I still can't get over that this is a 2005 anime that takes place in the far future of 2017, and yet it's still on point, considering it was hackers that caused the Lemon Angels to be disbanded.

And we have some new girls joining for try outs. Our main character knows how to get people to hate her though, but hey. There are black people in this show. This really is the far future of 2017.

DNAbro

Food Wars S2 4

This was actually a great episode from something I immediately assumed would be an obvious win for Takumi. Mimasaka played a great villain in this.

Thud

Pingu in the City 2

Last ep was Pingu as an Italian Chef. This time Pingu's cementing the road and lots of fellow penguins dont watch where they're going!
So Pingu tries to stop them!
One naughty penguin reading manga (you don't fool this penguin hah!) tries to catch Pingu off guard!!
What follows is a tennis match and something happens, but they make up and everything is alright!!!

Noot Noot/10

BosSin

Hmmm. That doesn't seem good.
Let me expand a little

Gintama 329: there's a joke about how having tanned skin makes you more of a douche. I mean this can be a joke along the lines of making fun of jersey shore stereotypes. But still, it's iffy.

Gintama 330: there's a joke about a prince becoming gay after accidentally kissing a priest. They also make a joke about this being a threat to his kingdom as no children will be born etc.

I dunno, maybe bad translation helps make this more offensive than it actually is. But maybe that's me making excuses...

Made In Abyss 2-7

HvA6ZBG.jpg

I've noticed a lot of the time, when characters are heading lower and lower into the abyss, they say "ascend". Shouldn't it be "descend"? Or is Amazon's translation just a bit weird at times?

Anyways, we learned a lot about Riko's background, the dangers of the Abyss and how her mother was the best of the White Whistles. The story behind
her birth
however is fucked up.
She's basically a zombie? I wonder why she's able to last as long as she has so far.
We're only in the first few levels. I wonder what other horrors await our duo the deeper they go. Also noticed that both
Reg and Lyza say the same "irredeemable" phrase
. I wonder what their connection is.

Some of the monsters are drawn in a different style from the rest of the show. I wonder if that's just stylistic or if theres some significance. Leader and Habo sound like cool dudes too. I wonder if we'll see them again.

I'm absolutely stunned at how incredible this show looks and sounds. The OST is fantastic and every other shot in this show is wallpaper worthy. The creatures and locales are so unique. I would have loved it if this series was a game so I could explore these environments! So much creativity at display.

Where's the bunny girl at tho

phaze

I've noticed a lot of the time, when characters are heading lower and lower into the abyss, they say "ascend". Shouldn't it be "descend"? Or is Amazon's translation just a bit weird at times?

They are probably talking about strain of ascending in each layer, iirc the various curses and stuff only start to hit you when you start going up.

sasuke_91

Made In Abyss 2-7

HvA6ZBG.jpg

Descending to the lower levels of the Abyss does nothing to your body. Ascending from them activates the curse. That's also why Riko was afraid of climbing up that slope when Reg was unconscious.
The bunny girl appears in episode 10.

A Sister's All You Need, Episode 2 - Thankfully the first two minutes from episode 1 wasn't really carried over here. Like, there's still fanservice, but it's more about the character's lives than about a bunch of siscon crap. Right now I kind of find Haruto the most interesting character since he seems to be over-compensating creating a "brand" for himself because the series he writes got lambasted as being generic.

They are probably talking about strain of ascending in each layer, iirc the various curses and stuff only start to hit you when you start going up.

Descending to the lower levels of the Abyss does nothing to your body. Ascending from them activates the curse. That's also why Riko was afraid of climbing up that slope when Reg was unconscious.
The bunny girl appears in episode 10.

AHHHH Okay. That makes so much sense. I totally missed how the curse activates. I just assumed the lower you went, the worse it got.

DiGiKerot

Actually saw that Shaft Fireworks movie. It's actually pretty good. I rather suspect that your impression of it will vary massively depending on if you've seen the original work or not - I've not seen it myself, but certainly think it expects you to have seen it, or at least know what it was or the concept of the television series it was part of, as it plays off those expectations and spirals out in some interesting directions from it. It's certainly not entirely what the promotional materials make it out as, anyway.

Cornbread78

Kino S2 ep.2
This actually felt really rushed as a 1 episode rehash from S1. It made me feel like what manga readers feel after watching something animated that they read previously that kinda ruined the original concept/material....

duckroll

Actually saw that Shaft Fireworks movie. It's actually pretty good. I rather suspect that your impression of it will vary massively depending on if you've seen the original work or not - I've not seen it myself, but certainly think it expects you to have seen it, or at least know what it was or the concept of the television series it was part of, as it plays off those expectations and spirals out in some interesting directions from it. It's certainly not entirely what the promotional materials make it out as, anyway.

Like Hosoda's Time Hopper Gal?

Daemul

Love Live Sunshine - Episode 2

Yohan being the best part of the show once again, though her chemistry with Hanamaru played an important factor.

RIP Ruby, the only first year who offers nothing to the anime. It's not her fault though, she was gutted of many of her traits and they were given to other characters for some reason.

Every idol song is about nothing. It's all fluff, still better than metal though.

Some Idol songs are alright, but to be honest I find myself fast forwarding through them more often then not because the change to CG turns my stomach.

I'm crying right now

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Ancient Magus' Bride 01
I guess I just don't really get it. This feels like a very workmanlike adaptation of a manga and it really shows through with how lacking each story beat feels. That is not to say that the work here is lazily done in the way you might find in an anime adaptation of a Weekly Shounen Jump property, but the storytelling here does not feel appropriately fitted to the new medium. There is something unceremonious and disinterested to the show as it hammers in plot points deemed essential to align itself with the source material, but nothing here feels very essential and I can't think of a single scene that is particularly memorable. When stuff like the bath scene find heavy emphasis but there's no real sequence for sneaking out of the house I kind of question the understanding of basic storytelling.

I'll probably try to watch more, there's still an appeal to Chise's weary and forlorn nature and the world itself. I wish I found Elias to be more interesting as a sounding board to those things though, instead he really lands in a place that is dreadfully safe from what's been shown so far. He doesn't really have very much presence, he isn't ever menacing or grotesque, and the way his voice was cast/directed makes him feel all that much more passive.

DNAbro

Food Wars S2 6

Had a feeling Takumi would deny his tools after Soma won. I want to see them battle each other already.

Food Wars S2 7

oh shit that was an entirely unexpected ending.

Also I just realized Ryo is basically the same character as Bakugo and they have the same voice actor.

Made In Abyss 2-7

Anyways, we learned a lot about Riko's background, the dangers of the Abyss and how her mother was the best of the White Whistles. The story behind
her birth
however is fucked up.
She's basically a zombie? I wonder why she's able to last as long as she has so far.

I don’t know if “zombie” is really the best description for Riko’s current state. It’s implied that she was fully resurrected by the artifact, not merely half resurrected into an undead state - although it does seem like the Abyss has a special hold on her. We don’t really get a full picture of what this means for her.

We're only in the first few levels. I wonder what other horrors await our duo the deeper they go. Also noticed that both
Reg and Lyza say the same "irredeemable" phrase
. I wonder what their connection is.

Hmm...

Some of the monsters are drawn in a different style from the rest of the show. I wonder if that's just stylistic or if theres some significance.

That’s because those monsters were animated by idiosyncratic genius Kou Yoshinari (elder brother of Yoh Yoshinari, director of Little Witch Academia). Kou also designed the monsters for the show. His animation is very distinctive, partially because he actually colors, paints, and finishes his animation himself, unlike most animators. Thus he gets very eye-catching results, that can often be mistaken for CG.

Where's the bunny girl at tho

Eventually!

Let me expand a little

Gintama 329: there's a joke about how having tanned skin makes you more of a douche. I mean this can be a joke along the lines of making fun of jersey shore stereotypes. But still, it's iffy.

I had mixed feelings about the Obama and Will Smith jokes from a previous season.

Top Bottom