• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Lol Cameron has long ago mapped out multiple Avatar sequels featuring multiple alien races and planets. Pandora is not all there is.
The success of this one and part 3 will determine if he's able to fulfill his vision up to parts 4 and 5.
I could see Pandora getting conquered and ruined eventually, and space travel to new homes. Earth has also been heavily rumored.

I could see Pandora getting conquered and ruined eventually, and space travel to new homes. Earth has also been heavily rumored.

Cameron did say part 4 is a corker. Going to take it he means an epic face off of some sort but no idea if it takes place on earth or what.
To be honest the story for me is interesting and I hope the movies are successful enough for him to justify finishing his vision of this world he created.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Cameron did say part 4 is a corker. Going to take it he means an epic face off of some sort but no idea if it takes place on earth or what.
To be honest the story for me is interesting and I hope the movies are successful enough for him to justify finishing his vision of this world he created.
Same, I'm all in. But I'm not too optimistic after what happened To Battle Angel. I went to that twice in the theater to support it. That could have been 9 movies. Barely even got started, and its one of the best action/sci-fi stories around in the 20+ graphic novels.

Avatar is huge though so hopefully is does well. I'll probably go twice.

Last edited:
Same, I'm all in. But I'm not too optimistic after what happened To Battle Angel. I went to that twice in the theater to support it. That could have been 9 movies. Barely even got started, and its one of the best action/sci-fi stories around in the 20+ graphic novels.

Avatar is huge though so hopefully is does well. I'll probably go twice.

Battle Angel was alright. Only ever seen it once but its not too bad a movie.
But don't worry about Avatar. It will do big numbers. People will be curios to see a 3D movie again and how far the technology has moved on since the 1st.
Im not a Cameron fan per se. I just like to see people succeed in something they're deeply passionate about and he is about marine conservation and that's one of the reasons this movie has a heavy water theme.

Raonak

Banned
Lol Cameron has long ago mapped out multiple Avatar sequels featuring multiple alien races and planets. Pandora is not all there is.
The success of this one and part 3 will determine if he's able to fulfill his vision up to parts 4 and 5.
That's good to hear. But that just begs the question of why do another one on pandora then? Why have he navi again?

Seeing another avatar movie with the exact same alien race as the last one is a very boring direction to go for such a seemingly ambitious universe.

Would've been much better to set this in a complete new planet with new characters.
Especially when it's a sequel that has come out this long after the first, I bet most of the audience will not remember half the characters.

Guess i'll wait for part 4?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That's good to hear. But that just begs the question of why do another one on pandora then? Why have he navi again?

Seeing another avatar movie with the exact same alien race as the last one is a very boring direction to go for such a seemingly ambitious universe.

Would've been much better to set this in a complete new planet with new characters.
Especially when it's a sequel that has come out this long after the first, I bet most of the audience will not remember half the characters.

Guess i'll wait for part 4?
Probably don’t want to leave the furry audience behind. People like to make fun of Goodbye Volcano High but the cringy animation designs in Avatar aren’t that far off.

Stuart360

people really doubted James Cameron
I mean he made 2 of the best sequels of all time, sequels that many think are better than the orig films.

Having said that, Del Toro IS a good friend of Camerons, but at the same time he didnt need to say the 'A master at the peak of his powers' if the film stunk and he wasnt being sincere.

I take it as a good sign.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
I mean he made 2 of the best sequels of all time, sequels that many think are better than the orig films.

Having said that, Del Toro IS a good friend of Camerons, but at the same time he didnt need to say the 'A master at the peak of his powers' if the film stunk and he wasnt being sincere.

I take it as a good sign.
yeah he could of said something generic "it's good" or say nothing at all....like you said this sounds sincere regardless of the bias

Last edited:

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Does anyone find it interesting that Jake still prefers firearms to Na'vi weapons?

in the high ground comic which is the official prequel to The Way of Water. He is talking about how he knows the Na'vi "laws" that forbid using weapons made of "metal" but he responds to Neytiri "I know the Laws, but I also know the RDA, I know we can't beat a gunship using Bows and Arrows"

Isn't that disrespectful to his new culture, his wife's culture?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Thats a great interview but what. the. fuck. is with that oversized jacket? She cold and her grampa give it to her?

She is also a good example of what Tarantino talks about with modern film lacking "super stars". Saldana, a fine actress mind you, is in THREE of the top ten highest grossing films yet I bet most folks couldn't tell you. Huge ensemble casts, heavy make-up/CG, the actors are just consumed by the characters they play in these types of films.

theclaw135

Banned
Does anyone find it interesting that Jake still prefers firearms to Na'vi weapons?

in the high ground comic which is the official prequel to The Way of Water. He is talking about how he knows the Na'vi "laws" that forbid using weapons made of "metal" but he responds to Neytiri "I know the Laws, but I also know the RDA, I know we can't beat a gunship using Bows and Arrows"

Isn't that disrespectful to his new culture, his wife's culture?

If the first movie is any indication, one of the sequels is going to have an army of mechs.

Chiggs

Gold Member
pCBNHoZ.png

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I refuse to believe Cameron actually said that Testosterone is a toxin man should get rid of. Has to be fake news.

On topic... Tattooed Redneck Navi. Oh boy...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I actually was talking to a friend many years ago about where they would go with the sequel.

This was it, exactly this including the underwater base. My main diffrence in the main antagonist faction would be a rival corporation based on Japan rather than America, that would be taking advantage of there rivals pulling out to buy up the land rights on a discount and slowly encroach on the territory of the first movie before being pushed back to the ocean and finally getting taken out completely.

They would have been higher tech (to allow for underwater mineral extraction) and make use of cybernetics to get around the issue of the enviroment (think deus ex level), sadly it seems they can't get over the cowboys and Indians thing so it's space America once again but on drilling platforms.

So it's funny to see it take the direction it did as I remember the early plans was about large open plains for the sequel.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Not enough shots of blue cat people and their cousins the blue cat water people flying on winged ocean crocodiles for me in that trailer. Hard pass

Aggelos

I don't wanna jinx it, but if Avatar 2 winds up with a global box office of less than 1$ billion in revenue, the next film James Cameron will get to do will be "Piranha III: Next Generation" (sequel to Piranha II : The Spawning).
With a budget of 1$ million or something...

ui3PnsO.gif

Top Bottom