• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

obligatory fuck Nick.

Thank god for other sites like t fury and shit (though I wish they had good Final Fantasy shirts)

Thanks for the Link Trey.
TeeFury has too many shirts with Korra on them. I got lucky and somebody did a really good General Iroh shirt that I had to buy. But yeah fuck Nick, all those nicely drawn characters and they don't do shit with them. I'd love a good Lin shirt or Kuvira, but nope nothing.

Ray Down

Banned
Not a official confirmation or anything but it looks like we have a release window for the Korra comics.

CREt9VUWIAAihor.jpg

Jacob

I got a chance to read Smoke and Shadow Part 1 after work today since it is now in non-comic bookstores. I wasn't really planning on reading it but I saw the book in its section and figured why the hell not since it was right there and I didn't have anywhere to be after my shift. It definitely represents a continuing improvement, but that says more about the quality of the first two "trilogies" than anything else. Gene Yang's weeabooism is getting worse, but on the other hand, he's stopped (or at least taken a break) from pushing the Zuko/Suki ship. I still don't really recommend these comics to anyone, no matter how much they liked the show, but they're no longer offensively bad. Hopefully the Korra ones will be better.

Trey

I was actually feeling the Zuki ship, lol. Bryan and Mike must've gotten to dude and told him to cut that shit out.

shame to hear the romantic stuff has actually gotten worse though. The Aang and Katara interactions are the worst.

Toa TAK

Banned
I was actually feeling the Zuki ship, lol. Bryan and Mike must've gotten to dude and told him to cut that shit out.

shame to hear the romantic stuff has actually gotten worse though. The Aang and Katara interactions are the worst.
How the heck does that happen?!

How the fuck do you ship Zuko and Suki? That's a legit crack ship cause I'm almost certain those 2 have never spoke to each other. Minus the rescue operation. I guess if Sokka is an unfaithful lech then why should Suki.

Jacob

Zuko/Suki?! What?

The worst part is that Bryke have been involved in the writing process for all of the comics so far. But yeah, the comics undid most of Book 3's character development in order to retread the same ground, just in a much less competent and more boring way.

What happened to Suki x Sokka?

Nothing. Officially, this is one relationship where nothing has changed. But Sokka and Suki are rarely around each other and it looked like Zuko and Suki were about to hook up for much of one of the stories.

Toa TAK

Banned
I dunno how to feel about the Korra comics now, will they even be good if the Avatar ones can't keep the characterization straight?

Trey

I think the Korra comics have a bit more to work with given that its future isn't set in stone. AtLA comics have to be written underneath all that happens in LoK.

Toa TAK

Banned
Whatever happens to the continuation of the universe doesn't bug me so much as the way they've jumped around the characters in the show itself, and now with the focus on the comics I just hope they do them justice, or at least better and more consistent than the show.

Trey

I will say that the characters feel like themselves, if that makes any sense. Aang acts and looks like Aang, Sokka acts and behaves like you'd expect, Toph is adorably tough. The writing doesn't betray the characters....it just doesn't elevate them. It all feels trite. And in the case of the romance stuff like Kataang, really corny. It's only memorable in how uninteresting and juvenile it is.

Toa TAK

Banned
So there's no real evolution to these characters? Even after the whole "Zuko's mom" thing?
(I still don't know about what happened).

Trey

Not yet so far. They all behave according to specs. but to be fair, the comics have been really safe so far. It doesn't ask a lot out of the characters. As such, there is little - if any - growth.

But it's more avatar so if you're fiending, it'll hit that spot. it doesn't do a lot to enrage you other that the Aang/Katara cutesy nonsense.

Jacob

So there's no real evolution to these characters? Even after the whole "Zuko's mom" thing?
(I still don't know about what happened).

Aang struggles with the qeight of responsibility and often makes immature and bad decisiona because he wants everyone to like him.

Zuko struggles with being his father's son, doesn't know whether to follow Ozai or Iroh, temporarily switches back to supporting Fite Nation imperialism, and breaks up with Mai.

It's not character stagnation, it's active regression. After more than three years they're barely back to where they were at the end of the series. But even if you ignore the series the whole thing is really juvenile and beats you over the head with its themes. Plus the new stuff they come up with is really dull, especially since everything that sets off the plot for three stories running now is spirits.

Toa TAK

Banned
Not yet so far. They all behave according to specs. but to be fair, the comics have been really safe so far. It doesn't ask a lot out of the characters. As such, there is little - if any - growth.

But it's more avatar so if you're fiending, it'll hit that spot. it doesn't do a lot to enrage you other that the Aang/Katara cutesy nonsense.

Aang struggles with the qeight of responsibility and often makes immature and bad decisiona because he wants everyone to like him.

Zuko struggles with being his father's son, doesn't know whether to follow Ozai or Iroh, temporarily switches back to supporting Fite Nation imperialism, and breaks up with Mai.

It's not character stagnation, it's active regression. After more than three years they're barely back to where they were at the end of the series. But even if you ignore the series the whole thing is really juvenile and beats you over the head with its themes. Plus the new stuff they come up with is really dull, especially since everything that sets off the plot for three stories running now is spirits.

PoMYlgJ.gif

Well that makes me glad I never got the comics, but that's sad. Save us Korra comics, you're our last hope for some good storytelling in this universe.

Damn they hit the reset button on their characters like they were an old school NES.

Wanderer5

The Promise was so baaaad lol, but the comics been improving (kind of barely through). Really a shame, cause Gene Luen Yang has made some excellent graphic novels, but he and Mike & Bryan (well guess least Bryan?) really drop the ball here. Least the art is nice.

Jacob

The Promise was so baaaad lol, but the comics been improving (kind of barely through). Really a shame, cause Gene Luen Yang has made some excellent graphic novels, but he and Mike & Bryan (well guess least Bryan?) really drop the ball here. Least the art is nice.

Yeah, I definitely agree that there has been some improvement. The art has grown on me as well. I don't think it was ever bad by any stretch of the imagination, it just took me a while to get over the slight differences in style from the original show.

Veelk

Banned
Guys, seriously, read the Azula trilogy. That's all the post-TLA continuity you need. Accept no substitutes.

Oh, hey! I know the guy who wrote that trilogy. MasterGhandalf wrote the "Azula" trilogy and the "Fall of the Fire Empire" (Avatar AU, basically what if Aang didn't escape from Zuko when he was captured at the Southern Air Temple)! He would post them first on Avatarspirit.net for readers like myself to comment and put them on Fanfiction.net later. It was always so fun to wake up every morning hoping to see an update to either of those stories. Both stories are basically my favorite Avatar-related fanfiction of all time.

He actually did a special edition of Fall of the Fire Empire, with slight re-writes and commentary by MG. He started doing that with the first part of the Azula trilogy as well.

Both this and the TLA thread from Off-Topic earlier are making miss the days of being a part of Avatarspirit.net and it's great community. It's definitely a shell of it's former self. :\

Jacob

I wasn't involved in the ATLA fandom when the show was first airing, though I did visit sites like AvatarSpirit.net a lot back in the day. I joined ASN's forums in 2010 around when the movie came out, though I only stuck around for a few months IIRC. It has been sad to see fandom mainstays like ASN decline over the years, but I think that's almost inevitable for single-fandom sites. But it's why I will always be grateful for TLOK, despite my criticisms of it, for giving the fandom years of extra life.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, as unfortunate as it is about its quality, I like that it exists. It doesn't even negatively affect the show for me as I don't consider it canon, and it introduced a lot of cool ideas

I wasn't involved in the ATLA fandom when the show was first airing, though I did visit sites like AvatarSpirit.net a lot back in the day. I joined ASN's forums in 2010 around when the movie came out, though I only stuck around for a few months IIRC. It has been sad to see fandom mainstays like ASN decline over the years, but I think that's almost inevitable for single-fandom sites. But it's why I will always be grateful for TLOK, despite my criticisms of it, for giving the fandom years of extra life.

What was your username? I joined in '06. It'll be a sad day when the site closes down like so many before it.

Yeah, as unfortunate as it is about its quality, I like that it exists. It doesn't even negatively affect the show for me as I don't consider it canon, and it introduced a lot of cool ideas

You don't consider Korra canon or...?

Veelk

Banned
Don't get him started. Every one just smiles and nods when veelk gets like this.

Don't hate just because I'm right.

But yeah, most people have a misconception of canon, in that as a label, it is actually pretty meaningless, and the only canon that should count is individualized canon. LoK sucks, so I don't acknowledge it as a worthy continuation of TLA and in place put other stories I have found to be worthy.

Toa TAK

Banned

But yeah, most people have a misconception of canon, in that as a label, it is actually pretty meaningless, and the only canon that should count is individualized canon. LoK sucks, so I don't acknowledge it as a worthy continuation of TLA and in place put other stories I have found to be worthy.

But dude it has Kuvira.

Trey

GIF-OK-okay-Cheryl-Cole-GIF.gif

I don't understand, so I'm gonna just retreat into my newbie-hole. I don't think you get to decide what is or isn't canon. :p

Veelk

Banned
I don't understand, so I'm gonna just retreat into my newbie-hole. I don't think you get to decide what is or isn't canon. :p

You can actually. It's very easy. You choose to do it. What you can't do is impose those choices on others, but you can very much decide for yourself what is and is not canon.

I still wonder at the reason why people think that creation inherently implies ownership of something. Archaic value system I guess? I hope we eventually move beyond it though.

You can actually. It's very easy. You choose to do it. What you can't do is impose those choices on others, but you can very much decide for yourself what is and is not canon.

I still wonder at the reason why people think that creation inherently implies ownership of something. Archaic value system I guess? I hope we eventually move beyond it though.
Pretty much it's like how some people view crack ships as canon. I know Korrasami is what Bryke wrote, yet there are people like FeenixRising and I that pretty much just prefer the Korvira ship. Because according to us and a sub sect of Tumblr view it as the better ship where they have more in common.

Veelk

Banned
Pretty much it's like how some people view crack ships as canon. I know Korrasami is what Bryke wrote, yet there are people like FeenixRising and I that pretty much just prefer the Korvira ship. Because according to us and a sub sect of Tumblr view it as the better ship where they have more in common.

Eh...not quite, but close. A crackship is only a crackship because there is little evidence supporting that ship in the original author's version of the story. Kovira, for example, has no basis in the show except that Korra is friendly and relates to her a bit while Kuvira kinda sorta respects her.

But suppose that someone writes a story, either rewriting season 4 or writing a post season 4 story with Kovira. Assuming it's well written, that crackship will no longer be a crackship within that story because now there is a wealth of evidence supporting that ship. Simply liking a one pairing over another isn't the same way as saying you consider that canon, because you need a story in which the pairing manifests itself to supersede the show's version, but liking that pairing can lead you to a different story you might like better than the show's.

And if you like that particular story, you can replace it with in your own mind as the official version of events. Because why wouldn't you? That's what I personally don't understand about people who resist the idea that they control their own canon. Why wouldn't you want the freedom to choose the best possible version of a story? There is no actual difference between fanfic authors and 'original' authors, meaning either can fail just as easily as the other. You can acknowledge the original authors efforts, while still taking the best of it for yourself. There is literally no loss to be had here.

The arguments I've seen for it are either legally situated (which I understand, as writers gotta eat, but I can seperate legal terms and practical/artistic ones), or just absurd, like thinking just because you personally choose a fanfic as canon means you cannot recognize the fact that the actual show is the more widely known version that everyone can talk about while the fic is just something you see personally. As though choosing a different canon somehow fucks with your mind that you can't make basic assumptions of others. It's quite ridiculous.

Eh...not quite, but close. A crackship is only a crackship because there is little evidence supporting that ship in the original author's version of the story. Kovira, for example, has no basis in the show except that Korra is friendly and relates to her a bit while Kuvira kinda sorta respects her.

But suppose that someone writes a story, either rewriting season 4 or writing a post season 4 story with Kovira. Assuming it's well written, that crackship will no longer be a crackship within that story because now there is a wealth of evidence supporting that ship. Simply liking a one pairing over another isn't the same way as saying you consider that canon, because you need a story in which the pairing manifests itself to supersede the show's version, but liking that pairing can lead you to a different story you might like better than the show's.

And if you like that particular story, you can replace it with in your own mind as the official version of events. Because why wouldn't you? That's what I personally don't understand about people who resist the idea that they control their own canon. Why wouldn't you want the freedom to choose the best possible version of a story? There is no actual difference between fanfic authors and 'original' authors, meaning either can fail just as easily as the other. You can acknowledge the original authors efforts, while still taking the best of it for yourself. There is literally no loss to be had here.

The arguments I've seen for it are either legally situated (which I understand, as writers gotta eat, but I can seperate legal terms and practical/artistic ones), or just absurd, like thinking just because you personally choose a fanfic as canon means you cannot recognize the fact that the actual show is the more widely known version that everyone can talk about while the fic is just something you see personally.
I don't think it'd be that hard to write Korvira into canon given the personality of both those characters. And given your explanation I have free reign to write korrasami out of existence, which I guess I will (not because I'm against same sex couples, but I'm against poorly written shoe horned in same sex couples), but acknowledge its existence for future conversations on the show cause it's there. I've actually read some pretty good Korvira fanfics actually.

Veelk

Banned
I don't think it'd be that hard to write Korvira into canon given the personality of both those characters. And given your explanation I have free reign to write korrasami out of existence, which I guess I will (not because I'm against same sex couples, but I'm against poorly written shoe horned in same sex couples), but acknowledge its existence for future conversations on the show cause it's there. I've actually read some pretty good Korvira fanfics actually.

That's pretty much how it works. Just because you read Kovira fanfics and decide that you want that to be the official version in your mind doesn't mean the show just gets deleted out of your brain or anything.

Speaking of, I should probably post the rest of my own fan outline sometime.

That's pretty much how it works. Just because you read Kovira fanfics and decide that you want that to be the official version in your mind doesn't mean the show just gets deleted out of your brain or anything.

Speaking of, I should probably post the rest of my own fan outline sometime.
Yes you should, though you might want to start linking each character post in whenever you do a new one. I'd like to see how you work in Lin cause she got done dirty in the show.

Veelk

Banned
Here's the issue I face: as I'm introducing the character bio's, I'm just by pure instinct also writing the story as it goes along. Which made sense for character introductions, but if I'm applying that level of detail, and I'm going to detail the whole series, why shouldn't I just write an actual fanfic? The problem is I don't have the time to do so, but the fact that all these fairly detailed outlines are just...there, right at the outer edge of what can be defined as a 'summary', begging to be written out in full...but I just don't have the time for htat.

So I'm stuck between wanting to write the full fanfic can not being able to, or having to summarize the contents and not being happy with that.

Top Bottom