• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Here's the issue I face: as I'm introducing the character bio's, I'm just by pure instinct also writing the story as it goes along. Which made sense for character introductions, but if I'm applying that level of detail, and I'm going to detail the whole series, why shouldn't I just write an actual fanfic? The problem is I don't have the time to do so, but the fact that all these fairly detailed outlines are just...there, right at the outer edge of what can be defined as a 'summary', begging to be written out in full...but I just don't have the time for htat.

So I'm stuck between wanting to write the full fanfic can not being able to, or having to summarize the contents and not being happy with that.
Just do it when the semester is over and use the summaries as an outline to reference when you get to it.

Veelk

Banned
I doubt I have the attention span for that, but who knows, I might. I think I better work on my own fiction though, so it's publishable. I've also accidentally created my own DC universe that I need to write down. Oops.

I doubt I have the attention span for that, but who knows, I might. I think I better work on my own fiction though, so it's publishable. I've also accidentally created my own DC universe that I need to write down. Oops.
My god man just write something down. Give us the Korvira we deserve already.

Veelk

Banned
I think half the shipping for Kuvira comes from the fact that her name lends for easy and cool portmanteau's. Kovira. Jinira. Kuvalaq. Rovira. The K and V and R sounds are one of those inherently cool phonemes.

I think half the shipping for Kuvira comes from the fact that her name lends for easy and cool portmanteau's. Kovira. Jinira. Kuvalaq. Rovira. The K and V and R sounds are one of those inherently cool phonemes.
It also helps that she looks good in a suit. She's feminine looking but at the same time has a masculine vibe to her so she works great physically in a lot ships. She's pretty much the Sailor Uranus of the Avatarverse.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah Kuvira has the best name, doesn't she?

I do wonder at the linguistics of the Avatar universe. Some names just sound out of place, like Bolin, but might actually have some basis in the asian language. A lot of them follow the japanese esque consentant->vowel sort of pattern. Ko-ra, A-Sa-Mi, Ma-ko. But then we have stuff like Ghazan. Unalaq and Noatak were the most blatant deviances, since they were from an inuit language, and I never really go over how different they sounded in contrast to everyone else. And then we have the English ginger, which is completely random.

Anyway, for some reason, Kuvira sounds somehow more exotic than other names somehow. I can't really express why, it just sorta does. Even though it follows the same japanese pattern, it doesn't sound like any name the japanese would come up with.

If anyone here has studied asian linguistics, feel free to comment on how it all works.

Veelk

Banned
I honestly thought Kuvira was an Indian name or something of that ilk.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I have no idea why, which is why I would like a linguist to explain to me why this one sounds inherently foreign in what is essentially a made up language anyway, even though it follows the traditional beats of pronunciation.

Fake edit: Wiki magic solves our problems yet again. Kuvira IS a hindu name. It means "Courageous Woman".

Jacob

What was your username? I joined in '06. It'll be a sad day when the site closes down like so many before it.

IIRC it was "Lord Momo", and my avatar was Momo wearing the makeshift cape from that one gag shot in "City of Walls and Secrets". I did a lot of lurking on ASN even after I stopped posting, so it still has a place in my fannish heart.

IIRC it was "Lord Momo", and my avatar was Momo wearing the makeshift cape from that one gag shot in "City of Walls and Secrets". I did a lot of lurking on ASN even after I stopped posting, so it still has a place in my fannish heart.

That seems familiar to me but I can't remember. I was "Oblivion" on the site if you remember that name.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I have no idea why, which is why I would like a linguist to explain to me why this one sounds inherently foreign in what is essentially a made up language anyway, even though it follows the traditional beats of pronunciation.

Fake edit: Wiki magic solves our problems yet again. Kuvira IS a hindu name. It means "Courageous Woman".
I know for the most part names in the Avatar universe are either versions of Japanese, Chinese or Inuit depending on where they came from, Ghazan might be another one of those, just checked and it's Mongolian. The odd one out for me is Varrick to tell you the truth, there's nothing eastern about that name. I still find it funny that two people in the whole franchise have last names.

Toa TAK

Banned

Hell yeah it does.

How many times must we do this song and dance?
Forever and ever until you submit.
tumblr_nsvfv2Z7l81smf3t2o4_1280.jpg

She doesn't submit the proper ship but Terra 7 sure can draw Kuvira.

Still baffled as to why mechs featured so prominently in Book 4. There was no point in the series where they didn't look and animate like shit.

Still baffled as to why mechs featured so prominently in Book 4. There was no point in the series where they didn't look and animate like shit.
I think it was to show a technological leap with the time skip, but that was taking it a bit far. They could've gotten the same idea across if Kuvira had helicopters for example. They didn't have to be super modern, just use the designs of the whirlybird death traps from the late 40's and 50's. It would've stuck with the art style that the show has.

Yeah but that mech fight with Zhu-Li was the bomb.
I also liked the music during that scene too. Anybody else find it weird that Zhu Li pretty much had the most character growth during season 4? Minus Korra learning that you can't fix a situation by curb stomping it Zhu Li seemed like she grew the most.

Guys, remember this awesome trailer?

I have to be honest, as a huge fan of their trailers since Book 3 of Avatar, I wasn't really impressed by this one. It didn't have the same "oomph" from the previous trailers, especially the Korra Book 3 trailer. Music was god-tier though.

In regards to the animation, the animation of Book 4 was pretty bad, in some ways worse than Book 2 if we ignore B4's finale. Up until the Kuvira vs. Su fight we barely had action scenes, and the ones we did have didn't look that great. Not to mention many shots of static characters with a lack of movement. Compared to Book 1 (which I just rewatched), with incredible fluidity and clarity, Book 4 was awful animation-wise. If people want specific moments I can take the effort to find those as well.

I have to be honest, as a huge fan of their trailers since Book 3 of Avatar, I wasn't really impressed by this one. It didn't have the same "oomph" from the previous trailers, especially the Korra Book 3 trailer. Music was god-tier though.

In regards to the animation, the animation of Book 4 was pretty bad, in some ways worse than Book 2 if we ignore B4's finale. Up until the Kuvira vs. Su fight we barely had action scenes, and the ones we did have didn't look that great. Not to mention many shots of static characters with a lack of movement. Compared to Book 1 (which I just rewatched), with incredible fluidity and clarity, Book 4 was awful animation-wise. If people want specific moments I can take the effort to find those as well.
I swear Amon returned and removed their blink bending for Book 4. I will also agree that there was not enough action in there, especially towards the middle, nothing mind blowing happened until the Su vs Kuvira fight, which I wish was longer since it's the first and last time it really looked like Kuvira cut loose in a fight.

Does anyone know where I can find Azula?

I know he left gaf but I miss talking to him.

He used Twitter sporadically for a period, but he seems to have deleted his account. I remember he also mentioned commenting on threads in /r/TheLastAirbender a few times, but I don't know his Reddit username.

Kinvara

Well, that just sucks. I hate how he just feel off the map like that.

Also, in case you all were wondering this book is pretty bad. Pre-ordered it when it was super cheap just for the heck of it.

It has some hilariously bad drawings in it:
n0bl3CO.jpg

Veelk

Banned
Hopefully, he is in a good place right now. His struggle with cancer and depression and suicidal thoughts... Poor guy. It'd be nice to have some kind of confirmation he's well off.

Kinvara

Free icon:
i4WgmNs.png

Woof. Glad I canceled my pre-order.

Yep. lol

However, I got the poster collection awhile back and I am happy with it. When I get the time I think I'll get one of the posters framed- specifically the "Lost Appa" one.

Hopefully, he is in a good place right now. His struggle with cancer and depression and suicidal thoughts... Poor guy. It'd be nice to have some kind of confirmation he's well off.

Same here.

Jacob

Agreed. In the unlikely even that you ever read this, Azula, I hope you know that we remember you and wish you the best.

However, I got the poster collection awhile back and I am happy with it. When I get the time I think I'll get one of the posters framed- specifically the "Lost Appa" one.

I picked up the poster collection when it came in to the shop I work at. It's pretty nice, especially given how hard it can be to find large, high-resolution images from ATLA since it wasn't produced or broadcast in HD.

Also, in case you all were wondering this book is pretty bad. Pre-ordered it when it was super cheap just for the heck of it.

It has some hilariously bad drawings in it:
n0bl3CO.jpg

That image sure is something. :lol I just re-read the product description on Amazon and it's different than it was during the pre-order period. Is it really just "Aang's scrapbook"? I wonder why they delayed its publication three times for that. :p

Last time I checked his tweet longer thing he was battling seizures that was probably a little after he announced he was getting married so he's going through some very personal things. I once tried to talk to him over the summer but I think he really just wants to be left alone.

Top Bottom