• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

You know you want to. Even though the conversation now has devolved into "LoK sucks, AtLA the only show that counts," which is an infinitely more boring conversation. the more you don't think of them as versus threads rather than opportunities to look at either character in comparison, the better. It's not so much who would win the "fight," but how or why and what that could mean.
Wait that things still alive? I thought I killed that thing with my fanart barrage?

Veelk

Banned
There should be a rule that any vs thread should be composed of nothing but high quality fanfic of how the fight will go down.

Hamlet

Quick summary of the recent Q&A that Janet, Mike and Bryan did today from benditlikekorra on tumblr.

• Someone asked why they made korrasami canon and it was kinda awkward but Bryan said it was because that’s what they wanted to go with the story. He reaffirmed previous talks about this by saying he wish he could have done more but they were unfortunately restricted etc.
  • Mike then confirmed that he will be the writer for the lok comics and will be featuring Korrasami and will try to develop it more than it was given in the show because of restrictions being a lot more lenient in comic form.
  • Someone asked if they had the intent of creating Avatar the Last Airbender as curriculum to gain life lessons and philosophies from. Bryan stated that wasn’t ever the real goal and that they didn’t want to be didactic in forcing lessons into their writing. For them it was an organic experience to produce.
  • A ptsd afflicted fan asked how much research and care went into making Korra in Book 4 because she really resonated with book 4 korra. Mike thanked the fan for sharing her experience and then said as the writer of the episode he tried to put great care and respect into giving her that portrayal and growth despite not having really experienced it himself fully.
A couple more points in the link

Toa TAK

Banned
But no soundtrack questions.

Today I saw Attack on Titan's soundtrack on iTunes. That fucking show gets it and Korra doesn't? :(

Hamlet

Decent enough audio recording of the Q&A is out - Soundcloud

But no soundtrack questions.

Today I saw Attack on Titan's soundtrack on iTunes. That fucking show gets it and Korra doesn't? :(
Attack on Titan is pretty massive right now. It even had it's own not so great live action movie just recently heh.
And nobody asked if Kuvira will be in the comic? For shame.

We might be getting some more info on the Korra comics next month at NYCC. Plus this thing was supposed to be more of a book signing type event.

We might be getting some more info on the Korra comics next month at NYCC. Plus this thing was supposed to be more of a book signing type event.
Ok. You don't put that much thought into a character and then never use her. She's not exactly Unalaaq tier and it's an audience consensus that she was underused so yeah they should put her in there. Even one of the Tumblr people...SSKuvira if I'm not mistaken has had a long running comic featuring post season 4 Kuvira. I'd read it more if I could keep up with it.

Only story I give a fuck about tbh, fuck Asami.
I know right. Korra and Asami don't even have anything in common. I know Asami will fight the occasional henchman, but I can't see her throwing down like Kuvira would if you challenge her to a sparring match...which would probably just turn into a scissor session.

I know right. Korra and Asami don't even have anything in common. I know Asami will fight the occasional henchman, but I can't see her throwing down like Kuvira would if you challenge her to a sparring match...which would probably just turn into a scissor session.
bless this ship

Though I'm quite sure Kuvira is "experimental," she did grow up with Su after all and her fight style is borderline bondage clamps.

Based Nikkipet

tumblr_nv1fx5l4WS1qix1c2o1_1280.png

Ambition

Quick summary of the recent Q&A that Janet, Mike and Bryan did today from benditlikekorra on tumblr.

Someone asked why they made korrasami canon and it was kinda awkward but Bryan said it was because that’s what they wanted to go with the story. He reaffirmed previous talks about this by saying he wish he could have done more but they were unfortunately restricted etc.
I really wish they'd hint that she was bi earlier in the series. I really hate how they changed her character during the last few minutes of the show; feels like I never really got to know Korra despite there being so many episodes and that Book 1 to 3's Korra was a completely different character to Book 4's.

I never would of expected to go from this

To this

No signs pointed to it happening

I really wish they'd hint that she was bi earlier in the series. I really hate how they changed her character in the last few minutes of the show; feels like I never really got to know Korra and that Book 1 to 3's Korra was a completely different character to Book 4's despite there being so many episodes.

I never would of expected to go from this

To this
Blame sexual orientation bender Mako.

Ambition

Korra should've drowned Mako. I'm convinced Korra's and Bolins kids would be dumb as fuck.

Implying that would be bad ʕ´• ᴥ •`ʔ
c547aa4b3df237a29d6ba25a27f4f536.jpg

If there is another Avatar in the works, I hope it's protagonist is a female again. It's going to be hard to top Korra's charm though :(

Implying that would be bad ʕ´• ᴥ •`ʔ
c547aa4b3df237a29d6ba25a27f4f536.jpg

If there is another Avatar in the works, I hope it's protagonist is a female again. It's going to be hard to top Korra's charm though :(
The Avatar should be reasonably intelligent. Korra would have intelligent orphan kids with Asami or Kuvira, those are her only two options. Even then I don't see her being the one to teach them stuff. She'd be the fun parent, the other two would make sure they learn things...Kuvira would probably have a camp dedicated to her kids education.

Veelk

Banned
If I were in charge off the next avatar, I would make the series quasi-scifi. Seems like the next logical step. We've transitioned from feudal 15th century fantasy to 19th century steampunk. Assuming Korra's successor is 200-400 years down the line (Avatars typically have ridiculously long lives, Aang was just an exception because he was frozen, though I don't know if I want to decanonize that yet), the jump should be close to our time, maybe a bit further ahead. Not enough for holograms and ipads, but maybe having accomplished our first space exploration, created the internet, and made the equivelent of nukes (introduced by our beloved Kuvira at the end of LoK).

Trey

Avatar: The Last Modern Warfare 2 wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. The technology versus elemental magic theme would be at its highest pitch in a situation like that.

Veelk

Banned
Avatar: The Last Modern Warfare 2 wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. The technology versus elemental magic theme would be at its highest pitch in a situation like that.

I don't know if it would work out like that. I imagine most people would incorperate technology into their daily lives, and bending would still be used for practical purposes, but in terms of warfare, weapons would be more practical to use (again, in conjunction with bending if available).

On the other hand, bending would still be something that could move mountains and crush tidal waves. The average bender might lose to the average weapon user 7 times out of 10, but a master bender could wipe out an armed platoon most of the time.

The greater emphasis on achieving mastery of bending, rather merely being competent with it, would probably cause a friction between social classes. Benders would be viewed as a dying relic by the modern populous, while the modern populous would be viewed as having lost it's way by benders, who remembered a time when bending was a way of life that gave people greater meaning.

I'm just spitballing here, but that seems like a good premise.

My personal hope for the next Avatar series (if they make one) would be to set it in a quasi-Cold War. Basically, the Avatar version of a war where the sides fight through proxies instead of directly against. The time jump couldn't be as large though, which means Korra would have to go. Considering the re-occuring theme of the previous Avatars creating problems for the next Avatar, she might have sacrificed herself in order to try and stop the war, but failed, and its up to the new Avatar to fix that mistake.

The technology would have advanced to the point where normal bending (not counting the moving oceans and mountains type of bending feat) is no longer an advantage, and the different nations are attempting to create all sorts of underhanded superweapons in order to win the war.

Considering how the series seemed to grow up with its fans, with LoK being for the teens who grew up with A:TLA, I think the series would more focus on the importance of manipulation and pragmatism with all sorts of backroom politics, kind of like House of Cards or Game of Thrones, with the Avatar being a competent bender who can manipulate well, trying to play all sides against each other in order to save the people caught in the middle.

Anyway, that's my personal hope. Seeing how the Avatar world had its industrial revolution, and a WWII, it would be interesting to see how the world would be during its Cold War.

My personal hope for the next Avatar series (if they make one) would be to set it in a quasi-Cold War. Basically, the Avatar version of a war where the sides fight through proxies instead of directly against. The time jump couldn't be as large though, which means Korra would have to go. Considering the re-occuring theme of the previous Avatars creating problems for the next Avatar, she might have sacrificed herself in order to try and stop the war, but failed, and its up to the new Avatar to fix that mistake.

The technology would have advanced to the point where normal bending (not counting the moving oceans and mountains type of bending feat) is no longer an advantage, and the different nations are attempting to create all sorts of underhanded superweapons in order to win the war.

Considering how the series seemed to grow up with its fans, with LoK being for the teens who grew up with A:TLA, I think the series would more focus on the importance of manipulation and pragmatism with all sorts of backroom politics, kind of like House of Cards or Game of Thrones, with the Avatar being a competent bender who can manipulate well, trying to play all sides against each other in order to save the people caught in the middle.

Anyway, that's my personal hope. Seeing how the Avatar world had its industrial revolution, and a WWII, it would be interesting to see how the world would be during its Cold War.
I would love to see the Avatar version of Nixon, bring it!!!

Veelk

Banned
I feel like the moment they give us the soundtrack, this thread will die for good because we have gotten everything we can from the series.

Hey guys what's going on in here-

oh, Korvira.

Well nice catching up lol

Only update I have to share: my own personal drought has been lifted, the thirst has been quenched. thoroughly.

Ray Down

Banned
Been awhile since I've posted but some news:

ATLA Comic 4: Smoke and Shadow part 1 releases tomorrow, anyone planning to pick this up?

No news yet on the subsequent Korra comics but Darkhorse said on there twitter to expect news soon.

ATLA Complete series collection also releases tomorrow, no new special features (like commentaries instead of that crap on on the 15 minute pilot) to my knowledge only worth it if you don't have it all or you want some space.

No news on soundtracks, so obligatory fuck you nick. (luckly I still have my LoK season one soundtrack)

Toa waifu is still Kuvira so all is right in the world.

How have you guys been?

• Someone asked why they made korrasami canon and it was kinda awkward but Bryan said it was because that’s what they wanted to go with the story. He reaffirmed previous talks about this by saying he wish he could have done more but they were unfortunately restricted etc.
  • Mike then confirmed that he will be the writer for the lok comics and will be featuring Korrasami and will try to develop it more than it was given in the show because of restrictions being a lot more lenient in comic form.
  • Someone asked if they had the intent of creating Avatar the Last Airbender as curriculum to gain life lessons and philosophies from. Bryan stated that wasn’t ever the real goal and that they didn’t want to be didactic in forcing lessons into their writing. For them it was an organic experience to produce.
  • A ptsd afflicted fan asked how much research and care went into making Korra in Book 4 because she really resonated with book 4 korra. Mike thanked the fan for sharing her experience and then said as the writer of the episode he tried to put great care and respect into giving her that portrayal and growth despite not having really experienced it himself fully.
A couple more points in the link

Hopefully there isn't a long wait for the LoK comic after Smoke is done, the ATLA bit is interesting.

Trey Is a dude confirmed. I have a lot of Avatar shirts, mostly in black though. I have the same Korra and Aang shirt. Where did you get that Amon one? I really need to find a good Kuvira shirt.

Top Bottom