• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

-Deimos

He had the better written show and better team mates. Only thing Korra has is a better looking cast and the occasional superior fight scene. Korra's art design and music are consistently on point too though.

Ahem.
tumblr_inline_n01dkajJyt1rxum53.gif

Probably not going to like my Bataar Jr. re-interpretation then where he is a better engineer than Asami, stronger than Korra, better fighter than Kuvira, swagger-er than Amon, and also has a lightsaber.

probably was a better engineer than Asami in the show right...I mean what did Asami really do?

Not build a giant spirit laser canon and giant fucking robot, that's what.

probably was a better engineer than Asami in the show right...I mean what did Asami really do?

The dude built a giant robot from scratch and reverse engineered Varrick's megatron cannon. Asami...rebuilt and airship and improved on Varrick's mag lev train system. Asami will just improve something, Bataar Jr managed to make new technology. I can shit on him all I want but credit is credit.

Veelk

Banned

I meant the remark as a joke, but...damn, that's a good point. God, Asami was wasted in LoK.

Veelk

Banned
No one really knows, but I'd guess they'd probably be in their 20's like the Krew.

3 years was too much of a time skip imo. 6 months or so would have probably been better.

I always wondered, how old is Bataar Jr and Kuvira?
I alway thought she was mid to late 20's. She's way more mature than Korra or anybody else acted. I know she's same height and build as Korra, but they don't act like they're the same age, plus that voice.....hnnnggghhhh.

So this is where you guys are now.

Also LOL at still talking about the wasted potential of Korra...

smh
A person can discuss the wasted potential of Korra for an entire week and still not get to all of it. I think we have actually, then it just devolved into a "fuck Su" tirade or something.

Veelk

Banned
Lack of new content is killing us. There's no way to discuss anything that hasn't been discussed before. If there was someone who brought up a legitimate new perspective or topic that was also deep and varied, we might get something.

The only way to avoid this is to look at fan made stuff, but no one wanted to do that, so...here we are.

What would you like to see in an ipotetical new avatar series? A sequel with the next avatar? A prequel set in the past with an old avatar?

I'd love more Aang personally.

Lack of new content is killing us. There's no way to discuss anything that hasn't been discussed before. If there was someone who brought up a legitimate new perspective or topic that was also deep and varied, we might get something.

The only way to avoid this is to look at fan made stuff, but no one wanted to do that, so...here we are.
Only thing is this isn't Berserk. It's not as open to varied interpretations cause this lacks the nuance or character depth of Berserk. It's hard to have a discussion with any of the characters in Korra the same way you could with a character like Griffith for example.

Veelk

Banned
Only thing is this isn't Berserk. It's not as open to varied interpretations cause this lacks the nuance or character depth of Berserk. It's hard to have a discussion with any of the characters in Korra the same way you could with a character like Griffith for example.

That's definitely part of it, but you're also just now getting into berserk and are in the thrall of learning it's depth on your own, learning the characters, etc. If we discussed nothing but Berserk for the next week after you finished it, we'd run out of things to say about it as well.

That's definitely part of it, but you're also just now getting into berserk and are in the thrall of learning it's depth on your own, learning the characters, etc. If we discussed nothing but Berserk for the next week after you finished it, we'd run out of things to say about it as well.
This is true, but at least Berserk had more characters and it does it's best to try to spend time with each character. Imagine Serpico without that flashback chapter detailing him and Farnese. He'd be a lot less of complete character...same with Farnese actually.

Veelk

Banned
True. Mako and Bolin could have used a flashback here and there detailing their backstories beyond "I'm an angsty orphan. Love me, Korra!"

True. Mako and Bolin could have used a flashback here and there detailing their backstories beyond "I'm an angsty orphan. Love me, Korra!"
Kuvira could've used a flashback like that as well. We were all waiting for her flashback sequence, nope never got one. She got a paragraph at most. Imagine Farnese with a paragraphs worth of character development. She'd just be the nutty fanservice girl and that's it. It's like how Lin is just always thought of as that cranky lady, meanwhile we both know Lin isn't always salty as fuck, but they always just paint her as such.

Veelk

Banned
Kuvira could've used a flashback like that as well. We were all waiting for her flashback sequence, nope never got one. She got a paragraph at most. Imagine Farnese with a paragraphs worth of character development. She'd just be the nutty fanservice girl and that's it. It's like how Lin is just always thought of as that cranky lady, meanwhile we both know Lin isn't always salty as fuck, but they always just paint her as such.

For my rewrite, I always try to make it so that all adult characters had their own adventures before Korra stepped into the ring. Yakone, for example, wasn't a bloodbender nor is he Amon's father, but he was a crime lord whose downfall had a major impact on the city. Lin lead the charge that took him down, along with Suyin and Tenzin.

For my rewrite, I always try to make it so that all adult characters had their own adventures before Korra stepped into the ring. Yakone, for example, wasn't a bloodbender nor is he Amon's father, but he was a crime lord whose downfall had a major impact on the city. Lin lead the charge that took him down, along with Suyin and Tenzin.
Which is good cause it makes them sound like actual people and not just satellite beings that hover around the Avatar. Pretty much we know they had lives, but sometimes it just seems like that pasts don't have much influence on either of them outside of having no parents. It never really influences either of them. Hell even Asami comes off as normal as fuck when you compare her to Kuvira regarding the whole parents thing.

Veelk

Banned
Which is good cause it makes them sound like actual people and not just satellite beings that hover around the Avatar. Pretty much we know they had lives, but sometimes it just seems like that pasts don't have much influence on either of them outside of having no parents. It never really influences either of them. Hell even Asami comes off as normal as fuck when you compare her to Kuvira regarding the whole parents thing.

The whole dead parents trope is one I've thought about a long while. It's a very useful trope, because it's instantly relatable and powerful. But reading various works really highlighted to me how important it is for the parents who died to be something beyond "Loving parents". When I was a kid and watching Batman, his parents being dead parents was enough at the time. But as an adult, I keep thinking "Who were actually Thomas and Martha Wayne?" His dad gets a little characterization, being a doctor, but Martha basically gets nothing in most adaptations.

It's also the fact that any kid's vision of his parents is imperfect. They typically hyperidealize them, because they don't have enough experience to frame them into something more complex and human. In my rewrite, I wouldn't get too hung up in flashbacks, as I don't want to trip up the pace of the narrative too much, but these are background elements that I consider important to exist, even if they're unsaid.

The whole dead parents trope is one I've thought about a long while. It's a very useful trope, because it's instantly relatable and powerful. But reading various works really highlighted to me how important it is for the parents who died to be something beyond "Loving parents". When I was a kid and watching Batman, his parents being dead parents was enough at the time. But as an adult, I keep thinking "Who were actually Thomas and Martha Wayne?" His dad gets a little characterization, being a doctor, but Martha basically gets nothing in most adaptations.

It's also the fact that any kid's vision of his parents is imperfect. They typically hyperidealize them, because they don't have enough experience to frame them into something more complex and human. In my rewrite, I wouldn't get too hung up in flashbacks, as I don't want to trip up the pace of the narrative too much, but these are background elements that I consider important to exist, even if they're unsaid.
Kind of like how Tony Stark views his dad and the way everybody else thinks of his dad are two very different things? I mean on one hand you have to flesh them out and on the other you can't derail the whole story fleshing them out either. I think you just have to give just enough to paint a picture. Like how everybody assumes Kuvira's parents are dirt poor. People rarely even think that maybe they were at least middle class and simply just didn't want her. Maybe the village simply just had a population limit and just had to get rid of her. You should really watch the Venture Brothers. They toy around with the perfect/imperfect dad trope a lot to an almost hilarious degree.

Veelk

Banned
Kind of like how Tony Stark views his dad and the way everybody else thinks of his dad are two very different things? I mean on one hand you have to flesh them out and on the other you can't derail the whole story fleshing them out either. I think you just have to give just enough to paint a picture. Like how everybody assumes Kuvira's parents are dirt poor. People rarely even think that maybe they were at least middle class and simply just didn't want her. Maybe the village simply just had a population limit and just had to get rid of her.

Yes, my version of Kuvira's parents....well, it's not that.

Yes, my version of Kuvira's parents....well, it's not that.
Can't wait to read that. Especially since you actually have a good idea of everybody else's parents to some degree unless it's Mako and Bolin and Asami's mother. Actually you at least got to see Mako and Bolin's extended family so that actually helps you get a small amount of insight about their dad at least. Nobody in the team gave a shit about Lin's dad. "His name is Kanto" or was it Johto? Whatever dude raised Pokemon.

Veelk

Banned
I am using the show as a guideline, not a bible, so I wouldn't count on me using the show as anything concrete. For example, in the show, Korra's dad is the leader of the water tribe. In my version, he's just a normal dude that happened to be the father of the Avatar. Granted, that's what Season 2 made him out to be, and he was pretty much that in season 1. But you know what I mean. In any case, it doesn't matter. We have no idea who the hell Kuvira's parents were, why they died, etc. Kuvira is the one I am making some of the most radical changes to the backstory while trying to maintain the core of her identity of the show.

You have to make the radical changes cause quite frankly she needs it. The basics of her is a good character and she had a lot of great potential, which is why it's just fun to bounce around ideas for her cause whether you keep her as a friend, foe or eventually both she works on both fronts. There's just a lot on the execution of her that just doesn't make any sense. There are people that thinks she's a racist when prior to imprisoning non earth benders nothing in her backstory makes her seem like an actual racist. I actually find that practice to be very out of character for her.

A person can discuss the wasted potential of Korra for an entire week and still not get to all of it. I think we have actually, then it just devolved into a "fuck Su" tirade or something.

but it's not been an entire week though :p

i will agree the wasted potential discussion can fill a lot of time since it was that massive.

Would you want any new content though, especially going by the trash they are apparently spewing with those new Last Airbender comics?

Seems like a "between a rock and a hard place" scenario to be honest but i guess new content (whether good or bad) would be better than recycled old content.

Top Bottom