• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
More toy pics:

vuVINdr.jpg

AswkUfX.jpg

b49H2rO.jpg

tE5M51j.jpg

ypaPxuA.jpg

10957312_1421939984765580_752706096_n.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
And not pushing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Is it because Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both co-righted to Fox and Marvel both? Maybe they're not allowed to do extensive product lines for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch due to that fact?

Neoxon

Is it because Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both co-righted to Fox and Marvel both? Maybe they're not allowed to do extensive product lines for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch due to that fact?
Or they're mostly villains in the movie until later on. Fox doesn't see any merchandise money unless the characters are based on their incarnations from the Fox movies.

Prompto

Banned
Or they're mostly villains in the movie until later on. Fox doesn't see any merchandise money unless the characters are based on their incarnations from the Fox movies.
I guess also Vision is more appealing from a toy perspective. Why would an 8 year old kid get a toy of a guy in running pants when they can get a toy of this badass looking android guy in a cape?

Amir0x

Banned

Ah OK. I was just wondering, because I wasn't sure how that merchandising situation works and I know Scarlet Witch and Vision are both in crossover territory in terms of movie rights.

Calling it now, GUARDIANS 2 is gonna be WORLD WAR HULK and at the end they make their way to earth just in time for AVENGERS 3/4.

World War Hulk takes place on Earth dogg.

You probably mean Planet Hulk though, and James Gunn has explicitly said it won't be that. (Doesn't mean he's telling the truth though - I'm strongly of the opinion that GotG2's not-yet-revealed subtitle means that its full title would spoil something from Avengers 2, like either being a loose adaptation of Planet Hulk or of Annihilation: Conquest).

Kinda doubt, though, that the GotG crew will make their way to Earth until Infinity War part 2.

You probably mean Planet Hulk though, and James Gunn has explicitly said it won't be that. (Doesn't mean he's telling the truth though - I'm strongly of the opinion that GotG2's not-yet-revealed subtitle means that its full title would spoil something from Avengers 2, like either being a loose adaptation of Planet Hulk or of Annihilation: Conquest).

Kinda doubt, though, that the GotG crew will make their way to Earth until Infinity War part 2.

Yeah, I meant to write PLANET HULK but a gladiator-dressed Hulk in Avengers3/4?

I'll take two of those!

My guess is a variation of Annihilation: Conquest.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Is there a separate thread for the upcoming Infinity War movies or can we just use this one? I have a few questions/theories that I want to talk about but it's WAY too early to make pre-production threads for movies coming out in 3-4 years.

curb

Banned
Is there a separate thread for the upcoming Infinity War movies or can we just use this one? I have a few questions/theories that I want to talk about but it's WAY too early to make pre-production threads for movies coming out in 3-4 years.

There's a general MCU Thread that would probably be the place.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=2017

New interview with Joss.

Warning: Some minor spoilers about how the film starts:

When did you know you wanted Ultron as the villain for this movie?

Before I took the first movie. For me what was interesting is that he is this angry, and I hired the smoothest talker in Hollywood to play him. I did it on purpose. I needed a guy who can give you the Morpheus but then can just LOSE HIS SHIT. Spader’s really good at that and he’s really good at finding the darkness, but also the comedy. The comedy is always a huge thing for me. Tom Hiddleston is hilarious. Hiddleston can turn on a dime, which is my favourite thing. He can be absolutely apocalyptic and then, ‘Um, point of order?’ Ultron has the same thing. He is very different, obviously, in his rhythms and his concepts, but for me it’s a guy who’s that angry and who hates the Avengers that much and is also a robot and is therefore going to have every issue that a robot’s going to have with humanity anyway… there’s a lot to play there. For me, he’s an iconic figure.

Did you play around with his powers, and what he’s capable of?

Yeah, I did. The powers in comic books – they’re always like, ‘And then I can reverse the polarity of your ions!’ – well, we have to ground things a lot more. With Ultron, we have to make him slightly less omnipotent because he’d win. Bottom line. Also, having weaknesses and needs and foibles and alliances and actually caring what people think of him, all these things, are what make him a character and not just a tidal wave. A movie about a tidal wave can be great, but it’s different than a conflict between one side and the other.

When Ultron speaks, he has a point. He is really not on top of the fact that the point he’s making has nothing to do with the fact that he’s banoonoos. And that he hates the Avengers for bringing him into this world, and he can’t really articulate that or even understand how much he hates humanity. He thinks he all that. That guy is very fun to write. He combines all the iconic stuff. The powers he has are slightly different – he can control certain things, he’s not just firing repulsors.

And you also have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

They have an origin but it’s largely described. They’re already good to go by the time we’re up and running. You don’t want to fall into Spider-Man 3 territory – and I say that as a guy who actually thinks pretty well of that movie, there’s some great stuff in that movie – but there comes a point where you’re overloaded with frontstory, backstory, origin story and it becomes very hard to juggle. My instinct is always, ‘Don’t put in more, work with what you have.’

But I insisted on putting in more in this movie because I felt I needed more villains. I needed someone for Ultron to talk to, and I need more trouble for the Avengers. As powerful as Ultron is, if he builds more Ultrons, they’re Ultrons. There’s no reason for him to ever to talk to them because they’re him. ‘I need you to – I KNOW! I AM TOTALLY YOU! I DID IT EARLIER! I know that because I am also me.’ That’s not a good conversation. Actually, it sounded pretty good there. I think I’m onto something.

You’ve retconned Ultron’s origin. In the comics, Hank Pym – Ant-Man – creates Ultron. Here, it’s Tony and, to a lesser extent, Bruce.

Of all the heat I’ve ever taken, not having Hank Pym was one of the bigger things. But the fact of the matter was, Edgar had him first and by virtue of what Edgar was doing, there was no way for me to use him in this. I also thought it was a bridge too far. Ultron needs to be the brainchild of the Avengers, and in the world of the Avengers and the MCU, Tony Stark is that guy. Banner has elements of that guy – we don’t really think of him as being as irresponsible as Tony Stark, but the motherfucker tested gamma radiation on himself, with really terrible, way-worse-than-Tony-Stark results.

It didn’t make sense to introduce a third scientist, a third sciencetician, to do that. It was hard for me, because I grew up on the comics, to dump that, but at the end of the day, it’s a more interesting relationship between Tony and Ultron if Tony was once like, ‘You know what would be a really great idea?’ They’re doing what they always do – which is jump in headfirst, and then go, ‘Sorry, world!’ But you have to make it their responsibility without just making it their fault.

that line about ultron/spader being smooth and then losing his shit is amazing. really instills confidence that ultron is going to live up to his potential in this movie.

guek

Banned
I'd be completely delighted with that. The MCU needs more ongoing supervillains beyond Loki and Thanos (and... Crossbones?).

Most of em are Cap villains. Crossbones, Zola (I believe!), Batroc, plus Abomination and General Ross. And Red Skull too, wherever he may be.

that line about ultron/spader being smooth and then losing his shit is amazing. really instills confidence that ultron is going to live up to his potential in this movie.

And the comedy. Those little bits like, "I'm listening..." and the Hulk whoopass scene rounded out the villain and the whole movie in general. I think Whedon recognizes every blockbuster movie these days is about the world ending and its super serious about it and it's nice to not be 100% grimdark about it the whole time.

I like how Ultron is described as having to be more grounded and not omnipotent. Since he's AI I guess he can infect any technology and be anywhere but Whedon's wrote something to make that not the case. Maybe he gets crazier the more pieces of himself branch off?

Most of em are Cap villains. Crossbones, Zola (I believe!), Batroc, plus Abomination and General Ross. And Red Skull too, wherever he may be.

All those dudes are alive (plus the Leader!), but so far it's only Loki, Thanos, and Crossbones who have appeared in multiple films (or in Crossbones' case, are confirmed to appear in multiple films, since we know he's showing up in Cap 3). That's what I meant.

Totally hope that Zola and Red Skull come back too though.

guek

Banned
All those dudes are alive (plus the Leader!), but so far it's only Loki, Thanos, and Crossbones who have appeared in multiple films (or in Crossbones' case, are confirmed to appear in multiple films, since we know he's showing up in Cap 3). That's what I meant.

Totally hope that Zola and Red Skull come back too though.

My dark horse hope for Ant-Man is that Abomination is either referenced or Blonsky makes a cameo, setting him up for a supporting role in Civil War.

Neoxon

He's clearly pulling Kojima hijinks man.
He took out Richard Rider from GotG to make Star-Lord more unique, & has constantly said that he wants GotG to stand on its own without having to rely on any of the Avengers. As such, no Hulk, no Iron Man, nobody from Earth who isn't named Peter Quill.

On the plus side, Adam Warlock is almost guaranteed, while the likes of Mantis & maybe Cosmo are safe bets.

Ovid

At Marvel, I heard WWH was indeed happening.

That was two years ago though and I never pressed for more information because I always assumed it was.

It just made sense seeing how popular Hulk got after The Avengers.

At Marvel, I heard WWH was indeed happening.

That was two years ago though and I never pressed for more information because I always assumed it was.

It just made sense seeing how popular Hulk got after The Avengers.

The fact that Hulk was portrayed so well in Avengers and he hasn't gotten his own movie is still surprising. But I guess they wouldn't do a movie that would fit into their Phase plan without it just seeming like straight up filler.

The fact that Hulk was portrayed so well in Avengers and he hasn't gotten his own movie is still surprising. But I guess they wouldn't do a movie that would fit into their Phase plan without it just seeming like straight up filler.

I think they need to develop Hulk further as a character before he can carry another solo movie. It sounds like they are heading in that direction with Age of Ultron. I'm glad they didn't try to rush it out and pack him into Phase 2, but I think people will really want it by the time Phase 4 comes around.

The Hulk is still a pretty unique character, even with the slew of new characters coming in Phase 3.

The rest of them will probably all end up wanting to use their powers for the greater good, it's not really like Banner has that option. It's not that simple, as I fully expect AoU to flesh out.

J10

Banned
They need to give Banner more control over Hulk so that he can take the leash off with greater confidence and still show some personality, but have it also come at a heavy personal price. Otherwise, watching movie after movie about him trying not to do the thing gets stagnant and he's relegated to an simple attack dog forever. Banner only really works in book form which allows a slower story burn where we get more internal monologues. The blockbuster format demands a certain amount of Hulk Smash, but that's actually the least interesting part of the character.

Gunn doesn't want anyone from Earth besides Star-Lord, & outright called any Hulk rumors as bullshit.

GUNN: marvel will allow me plenty of authorship and i pretty much get to freely decide what to do with the material
FEIGE: lol
They need to give Banner more control over Hulk so that he can take the leash off with greater confidence and still show some personality, but have it also come at a heavy personal price. Otherwise, watching movie after movie about him trying not to do the thing gets stagnant and he's relegated to an simple attack dog forever. Banner only really works in book form which allows a slower story burn where we get more internal monologues. The blockbuster format demands a certain amount of Hulk Smash, but that's actually the least interesting part of the character.
Beyond further exploration of that conflict, AoU needs to show Hulk getting neutralized/dominated pretty early on. The Hulk was such a total trump card in the Avengers climax that for basic narrative purposes it's important to demonstrate that that is no longer the case.

J10

Banned
The difference between Gunn and Wright though is that Wright didn't want to play in a shared sandbox. Gunn signed up for that, so we can assume he's OK with the guidelines. He also has the advantage of not dealing with the Earth-based characters, so he has more room to personally define that corner of the universe.

This.

I really feel that the best way to do a Hulk movie would be to introduce some version of Merged Hulk or Grey Hulk to the MCU. Then we could have all the smashing goodness we want, but still with the Banner sarcasm on the side.

Dalek

There's a potentially big spoiler for a scene over at r/marvelstudios that EVEN IF NOT TRUE...is so awesome I want it to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom