• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
In general? Or just because of their movies?

Movies have some fun points but in general I find them flawed.

My main issue is just with the group over all. I find them to be a boring cast, with boring design, and boring ability synergy.

I only keep up with Earth-616 and Earth-1610. Though I haven't seen F4 from 1610, so maybe I'll give that a go one of these days.

DieH@rd

Banned
Avengers without Wolverine or Spiderman is depressing. Disney spend whatever you need to bring these back into the fold

Sony or FOX could easily ask for 20 billion for each of those franchises.

Just accept it, film rights for those heroes will not come back to Marvel while any of us is alive.

GreekWolf

Just accept it, film rights for those heroes will not come back to Marvel while any of us is alive.

And that's a crying shame, because I think it's safe to say that Sony will forever keep Peter Parker as a young, goofy, twenty-something Spider-Man. Safe, sterile and boring.

I would kill for Marvel to get the rights back and give us an older, more-confident and aggressive Spider-Man. Like the Tim McFarlane years. That's the only version I could envision capable of contributing anything worthwhile to the Avengers.

The casting is perfect for Logan, Charles and Eric.

Not to me.

I have always maintained that McKellan was too old to play a believable Magneto.

They should have cast someone like Rutger Hauser, as he would have been visually closer to the older (but still physically strong looking) Magneto that Jim Lee used to draw.

McKellan looks frail--I think he was perfect for Gandalf, awful for Magneto.

And Jackman is too tall. Stewart was a no brainer.

Not to me.

I have always maintained that McKellan was too old to play a believable Magneto.

They should have cast someone like Rutger Hauser, as he would have been visually closer to the older (but still physically strong looking) Magneto that Jim Lee used to draw.

Because Magneto is always punching people?

There is only five years difference in age between McKellan and Hauer.

Also, in the comics Magneto was de and then re-aged into the a 30 year old. That's why he looked like how he did in the Claremont-Lee era.

injurai

Banned

In the billions is understandable for Spiderman,
funny thing is though Disney paid 4 billion for the entirety of Marvel.

4 Billion is a lot. It's also what Disney paid for Lucasfilm Ltd.

No way Disney will pay 20 Billion for just Spiderman.

.GqueB.

Banned
Not to me.

I always felt Jackman was off as well. He lacked a certain toughness that the role seemed to require. Agree with you on Magneto as well. I know they were trying to be realistic there a bit but he never really came off as imposing. Just a frail old man that could move metal around.

Not to me.

Theh problem was that they had to cast someone who would have believably been a child during WW2. People in modern times who are WW2/Holocaust survivors are old as fuck. Marvel/Fox are going to have to address rebooting Magneto's origin for future movies to avoid the same problem.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Because Magneto is always punching people?

There is only five years difference in age between McKellan and Hauer.

Also, in the comics Magneto was de and then re-aged into the a 30 year old. That's why he looked like how he did in the Claremont-Lee era.

meh i wouldnt mind an older / more mature looking fassbender instead of skinbag. He is a mutant not a human being in the comics he's just as much his power as he is his body. He doesnt need to be deadlifting dodge rams or anything but mcKellan was too old. He's captured Magneto's pain and anguish of being persecuted but he's more whiny than Mags ultimately became. I suppose they will bring up his wife soon enough a real source of his anguish as well.

dabig2

Theh problem was that they had to cast someone who would have believably been a child during WW2. People in modern times who are WW2/Holocaust survivors are old as fuck. Marvel/Fox are going to have to address rebooting Magneto's origin for future movies to avoid the same problem.

Electromagnetism powers has slowed down his aging process due to SCIENCE! Fixed. Done.

meh i wouldnt mind an older / more mature looking fassbender instead of skinbag. He is a mutant not a human being in the comics he's just as much his power as he is his body. He doesnt need to be deadlifting dodge rams or anything but mcKellan was too old. He's captured Magneto's pain and anguish of being persecuted but he's more whiny than Mags ultimately became. I suppose they will bring up his wife soon enough a real source of his anguish as well.

If anything McKellan was too young. He was born in 1939. If you want to keep the Holocaust backdrop of the character then the age goes with it. It also helps keep him a peer with Stewart (born in 1940).

nomis

On Empire's Winter Soldier spoiler podcast Joe Russo says that he thinks Joss Whedon is going to film Avengers 2 in 2.35:1 this time.

https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/captain-america-the-winter

9HdAr.jpg

Whedon won't know how to film in a non-TV ratio! Hur hur hurr

Spinluck

No way,
but Sony wouldn't really be crazy for asking 1, 2 or maybe even 3 billion.

Depending on how well TASM2 does, his value can go up or down.

Not that Sony is in a rush to sell one of the few things that make them a ton of cash. Surprised they sold the merchandizing rights to though. I would think that made them a lot of money.

Disney will buy any little piece of any Marvel property that they don't own yet when if it's up for grabs lol.

New show. His career got a bit of a reboot after the Apprentice.

Ah ok.

I figured it had to be new lol

man... it bums me out to think we might get an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, but without Spidey, Cyclops, Wolverine, etc. assisting in the fight... :(

(Infinity Gauntlet spoilers)
even though all three get wrecked pretty early in the first battle with Thanos, if I recall correctly. Even though the fatalities are ultimately reversible, the various character deaths in that series shook the shit out of me as a 12 year old at the time.

Depending on how well TASM2 does, his value can go up or down.

Not that Sony is in a rush to sell one of the few things that make them a ton of cash. Surprised they sold the merchandizing rights to though. I would think that made them a lot of money.

Disney will buy any little piece of any Marvel property that they don't own yet when if it's up for grabs lol.

TASM performed worse than any of the Raimi films but was still close to Spider Man 2 and above most MCU movies. Then again, The Avengers really boosted the Phase 2 movies so far.

But haven't Sony announced that they're expanding the Spider-Man filmverse with 2 sequels and Sinister Six and Venom spin-offs? I guess plans can change but I thought they had a schedule for up to 2018 laid out.

anaron

I'm kinda fine with Marvel Studios not having X-Men or Spider-man because it has forced them to be creative and turn their lesser known heroes into A listers and whatnot.

I mean, the films are already busy enough, why do you need more characters to take away from the existing ones?

Effect

I think there was a chance they could have gotten them back had Disney bought Marvel sooner. However now that Sony and Fox have desires to create their own cinematic universe and are moving forward with them there isn't a chance in hell of Marvel/Disney getting those rights back. The crazy thing about the rights issue is Marvel Comics continuing to make Spider-man, X-men, and Fantastic Four stories just makes sure they don't get them as well. They're actively supplying Fox and Sony with story ideas and possibly characters I think. That's gotten piss them off as well.

I'm kinda fine with Marvel Studios not having X-Men or Spider-man because it has forced them to be creative and turn their lesser known heroes into A listers and whatnot.

I mean, the films are already busy enough, why do you need more characters to take away from the existing ones?

well, one of the only instances where I can see all of these heroes contributing together as a team would be something like the Infinity Gauntlet.

I also can't even imagine the money it would cost to get that kind of ensemble on screen.

That said, the fact that we are even getting big-screen versions of:
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Days of Future Past/Age of Apocalypse
-(potential) Infinity Gauntlet
just absolutely blows my mind. I haven't touched a comic book in over 20 years, but I'm thrilled these are happening.

Spinluck

I'm ok with it.

I do wish the Oscorp tower made it into Avengers though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm fine with Spider-Man being with Sony and being purely solo because he has enough going on with just him and his villains. What makes him interesting is his regular life versus his duty to the city. Him going on missions with the Avengers kinda doesn't fit into that other than "oh he's funny so he'll be funny with the Avengers now." Besides it makes all his threats seem really inconsequential when the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, and all these other heroes are right there in New York as well.

The X-Men universe is complex enough on its own without the Avengers getting involved, and frankly are better off being separate. Would the Avengers really let a Days of Future Past story happen? What, Thor and Hulk can't take down like 20 of them at once?

Fantastic Four I'd want with Marvel if purely to let the Avengers fight Doom or Galactus or whatever, but otherwise, I don't give a shit about the Fantastic Four as characters.

I don't mind that much anymore but I'd still love it if Marvel got the rights back for those and the Fantastic 4. Not everyone has to appear in an Avengers movie and with the Netflix series we probably won't get too much overlap with the cinematic releases but I love the idea of a shared universe and wouldn't mind some cross-over shenanigans.

That and Doom is my favourite comic character and I doubt Fox will treat him right.

dan2026

man... it bums me out to think we might get an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, but without Spidey, Cyclops, Wolverine, etc. assisting in the fight... :(

even though all three get wrecked pretty early in the first battle with Thanos, if I recall correctly. Even though the fatalities are ultimately reversible, the various character deaths in that series shook the shit out of me as a 12 year old at the time.

Yeah Iron Man
gets his head ripped off.

Yep. The asm2 needs to bomb HARD.

As much as I love ASM1 (more than most), I sort of hope it does. The whole team got switched around between movies and I dont think the new one looks very good. At this point I'd rather the rights go back to Marvel.

But then I'd hope that Marvel would try to absorb that continuity into the MCU retroactively and rehire Garfield. But since a total bomb is what is required for this to happen, that doesnt even seem logical.

witness

Sony might have to sell it eventually if things don't get turned around at that company anyway. At the very least I can totally see a deal being made where Spider Man is in the MCU and can be in Avengers. After Avengers 3 there will be a ton of changes with RDJ leaving and all of the other headliners contracts being up (Evans, Hemsworth, etc). Wouldn't that be a great time to insert Spider Man into the MCU?

I really only care about Marvel getting Doom back. Such a fun villain, for one, but he just has a great layer of added complexity that would really fit well in the MCU and that Fox has completely ignored in favor of making him a cookie cutter megalomaniac.

If Marvel ever got the right for spiderman back, or work out a deal to make spiderman movie with Sony within mcu, I kinda want young spiderman, the ultimate spiderman version. I didnt read much 616 spiderman comics, but I love ultimate spiderman. How he really look up to the ultimates

Blader

As much as I love ASM1 (more than most), I sort of hope it does. The whole team got switched around between movies and I dont think the new one looks very good.

The only creative changes between ASM1 and 2 were the writers. Still the same director, same cast, etc.

inky

I'm fine with Spider-Man being with Sony and being purely solo because he has enough going on with just him and his villains. What makes him interesting is his regular life versus his duty to the city. Him going on missions with the Avengers kinda doesn't fit into that other than "oh he's funny so he'll be funny with the Avengers now." Besides it makes all his threats seem really inconsequential when the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, and all these other heroes are right there in New York as well.

The X-Men universe is complex enough on its own without the Avengers getting involved, and frankly are better off being separate. Would the Avengers really let a Days of Future Past story happen? What, Thor and Hulk can't take down like 20 of them at once?

Fantastic Four I'd want with Marvel if purely to let the Avengers fight Doom or Galactus or whatever, but otherwise, I don't give a shit about the Fantastic Four as characters.

I... absolutely agree with everything you said.

I don't care about folding Spidey or the X-Men or even The FF into The Avengers universe (except for Doom and stuff). In fact, that means they'll have to bring more and more obscure stuff forward and that is something I absolutely want to happen.

But, I just wish the Spiderman movies were better, and the X-Men movies are due a reboot already, especially after how hit and miss is their treatment of many interesting characters, and their cluster-fuck of a continuity thanks to making most of them about Wolverine and everyone having their own idea of what the fuck they are about and who shows up.

Taking that into account, I think Marvel Studios would make a better job with both franchises going by their current effort, but that doesn't mean I want them all together.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

wolverine had em....but you know gems

I think if Disney got the film rights to Spider-man or the Fantastic Four, it would be relatively easy to introduce them into the MCU. I could see Marvel rebooting the characters but not rehashing the origin stories, kind of like what they did with The Incredible Hulk. The X-Men would be a mess to retcon into the MCU and I think Disney getting the film rights to the X-Men would be the ONLY circumstance in which the MCU would reboot. Considering that the X-Men are probably the LEAST likely to have their rights go back to Marvel, though, I don't think anyone has to worry about that happening.

Yeah Iron Man
gets his head ripped off.

Yeah, there were some hard-core deaths.

-Namor and She-Hulk get covered (and ultimately smothered) in some kind of mossy shit.
-Cyclops gets his head covered in an air-tight cube and suffocates.
-Thanos punches through Vision's (I think) chest and rips out his insides.
-Scarlet Witch gets evaporated.
-Cap gets his shield smashed and then a bitch-slap fatality.
-Wolverine's adamantium skeleton gets turned to rubber or something.
-I think Spidey gets choked to death or some weak-ass way & I can't remember what happens to Thor, Dr. Strange, or Hulk.

Good stuff right there. :p

The only creative changes between ASM1 and 2 were the writers. Still the same director, same cast, etc.

Not true. Just about everything besides the two things you mentioned changed.

Different writers, as you mentioned.
Different cinematographer.
Different art director.
Different score composer.
Different executive producers in charge (besides Avi).

I could go on but those are the more important ones. These pieces change all the time in the industry but with this much change all happening at once, it's definitely going to feel different than the first. Up to you whether that's a good or bad thing.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Spiderman in the Avengers universe,
I think it takes too much away from Spiderman to be right there in the same city as the Avengers.

Thats like the Justice League being based in Blüdhaven(Nightwing's city)

Yeah, there were some hard-core deaths.

-Namor and She-Hulk get covered (and ultimately smothered) in some kind of mossy shit.
-Cyclops gets his head covered in an air-tight cube and suffocates.
-Thanos punches through Vision's (I think) chest and rips out his insides.
-Scarlet Witch gets evaporated.
-Cap gets his shield smashed and then a bitch-slap fatality.
-Wolverine's adamantium skeleton gets turned to rubber or something.
-I think Spidey gets choked to death or some weak-ass way & I can't remember what happens to Thor, Dr. Strange, or Hulk.

Good stuff right there. :p

If I remember correctly...

-Thor got turned into glass and shattered
-Doctor Strange didn't show up to the actual fight and just acted as backup. Which was useful because he was basically the only person who could put Thor back together. I think I might have missed the third issue though, so he might have died at some other point. Don't think he did, though.
-Hulk got shrunk to six inches high and sent back to earth, where he proceeded to use this time to convince the Abomination that he was the voice of God. Because fuckin' Merged Hulk.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=97687

https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/captain-america-the-winter

Captain America: The Winter Soldier may have influenced Joss Whedon to shoot Avengers Age of Ultron in 2.35:1 instead of 1.85:1 of the first Avengers film.

Thank god. I liked the first movie but it really did look like a glorified TV movie at times and the aspect ratio did certainly didn't help that situation. Firing the cinematographer and using a more appropriate aspect ratio is definitely an improvement. The only other problem I had was how hokey some of the dialog was, and I don't expect that to change, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom