• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this concept art from the movie?

EDIT:
Oh, it's from the comic-con poster. Anywhere I can find the full poster?

here.
e6wG60G.jpg

Yeah I read that Thonas with the IG is the most powerful villain in the universe, isn't his goal to destroy the universe?

Thanos' conquest and wanton destruction is a means to an end for him. He does it to please Death, whose physical manifestation he is obsessed/in love with.

JustinBB7

I asked in another thread but the answer was he wasn't worthy. But maybe you guys can explain it better. Has Thanos ever lifted/can he lift Mjolnir? I saw a (fan art?) drawing where he had the hammer next to him. So I was wondering if he could lift it. Because he's the biggest end boss in Marvel (I think).

Thanos' conquest and wanton destruction is a means to an end for him. He does it to please Death, whose physical manifestation he is obsessed/in love with.

Isn't that what Deadpool does too pretty much?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I saw a (fan art?) drawing where he had the hammer next to him. So I was wondering if he could lift it. Because he's the biggest end boss in Marvel (I think).

Highly doubt this, only people who are worthy can lift Mjolnir.

But isn't she in love with Deadpool?

Deadpool Comics are firstly joke storys. The shared continuity makes it pretty difficult to distinguish, but Deadpool Comic shouldnt be taken to serious.

This is also the case for the famous Squirrelgirl beats the real Thanos Panel.

I asked in another thread but the answer was he wasn't worthy. But maybe you guys can explain it better. Has Thanos ever lifted/can he lift Mjolnir? I saw a (fan art?) drawing where he had the hammer next to him. So I was wondering if he could lift it. Because he's the biggest end boss in Marvel (I think).

Isn't that what Deadpool does too pretty much?

Lifting Mjolnir isn't about strength. It's about "worthiness" literally. The inscription on the hammer reads: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

But, the Inifinity #1 variant cover from last summer didn't really care about that:

neorej

ERMYGERD!
But isn't she in love with Deadpool?

Nope, Deadpool is in love with her, and even that is questionable, since Deadpool is in love with the concept of death considering he's sick and tired of being immortal. Because people will always love what they cannot have, Wade Wilson's love for Death could be interpreted as a metaphore for his desire to die.

or it's all just one big joke, IDK

Is the general consensus that the comic-con scene
is setting up the potential that someone else may lift Thor's hammer in a time of need?
Captain America?

Is the general consensus that the comic-con scene
is setting up the potential that someone else may lift Thor's hammer in a time of need?
Captain America?

It's happened before and will probably happen in the fight against Thanos, the tease in Age of Ultron is probably there just to drop that breadcrumb for later.

Measley

I'm really not liking Quicksilver's look in this film.

Then again, I didn't like his look in DFP at first, but I grew to love it in film, so who knows.

JustinBB7

Lifting Mjolnir isn't about strength. It's about "worthiness" literally. The inscription on the hammer reads: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

But, the Inifinity #1 variant cover from last summer didn't really care about that:

Yea I know it's about worthiness, but from what I've read about Thanos he seems like he would still be able to lift it somehow just because he's so OP. But if he never did that's fair enough too lol.

Well... Hulk lasts significantly longer against Thanos in Infinity Guantlet...

Thor basically gets instantly turned into glass and shattered.

Thor still has a better chance of hurting someone like Thanos just because he's more versatile. Though, having said that, Merged Hulk was pretty damn versatile, given he was a supergenius.

Wasn't the thor in infinity gauntlet the fake thor?

Yea I know it's about worthiness, but from what I've read about Thanos he seems like he would still be able to lift it somehow just because he's so OP. But if he never did that's fair enough too lol.
I think it works be feasible considering the infinity gauntlet is supposedly more powerful than Odin who put the spell on the hammer to begin with.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Makes sense
10569106_334852770004903_7487542224368805814_n.jpg

Soul Stone will appear in Doctor Strange if i had to guess. No idea where the Time Stone would fit though.

On a second thought, if the Staff was indeed the Mind Stone, why would Thanos give it away?

Loki's staff is NOT an Infinity Stone. It's clearly stated that it's powered by the Tesseract ("It works an awful lot like a Hydra weapon"). Also, the staff's jewel is blue like the Tesseract.

Gun Animal

Has the Deadpool/Thanos/Death love triangle ever been canonically addressed? Have Deadpool and Thanos interacted in any meaningful way? I gotta know.

Whether or not Loki's staff was the Mind Gem, I'd argue they wouldn't have shown it in the Winter Soldier mid-credits scene if it wasn't. Either way, I figure Doctor Strange will fuck around with the Soul Gem in his movie, Cap' will get into some time-travelling shenanigans with the Time Gem and either the GOTG's movie will deal with the mind gem or it wont, depending on whether or not Loki's staff was the mind gem. THEN we get a legitimate Thanos movie.

Has the Deadpool/Thanos/Death love triangle ever been canonically addressed? Have Deadpool and Thanos interacted in any meaningful way? I gotta know.

Whether or not Loki's staff was the Mind Gem, I'd argue they wouldn't have shown it in the Winter Soldier mid-credits scene if it wasn't. Either way, I figure Doctor Strange will fuck around with the Soul Gem in his movie, Cap' will get into some time-travelling shenanigans with the Time Gem and either the GOTG's movie will deal with the mind gem or it wont, depending on whether or not Loki's staff was the mind gem. THEN we get a legitimate Thanos movie.

I think the point of it appearing in the TWS post-credit was to show that it's not only able to mind-control people, HYDRA found a way to use it to give people powers. At least, they experimented with it on a bunch of people and the two survivors were able to manifest abilities.

It seems like a dead-ringer for the Mind Gem but I think Whedon, Gunn or Feige would have confirmed by now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think the point of it appearing in the TWS post-credit was to show that it's not only able to mind-control people, HYDRA found a way to use it to give people powers. At least, they experimented with it on a bunch of people and the two survivors were able to manifest abilities.

I highly suspect that The Staff was shown to hint us, that it can give people superpowers.
Its more realistic for me that Wanda and Pietro are going to be Inhumans with already established powers and that HYDRA just did some experiments on them.

That seems like a gross oversight!

What do you mean? I can be that Thanos appeared for some jokes in a Deadpool story, but never im some relevant way. Deadpool is firstly for the funnies and the storys in his own series storys are onl written for some laughs and have most time nothing to give to the overall universe. It can be that something stupid like the Thanoscopter happend in a Deadpool story, but nothing lasting for the whole perspective.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm really not liking Quicksilver's look in this film.

Then again, I didn't like his look in DFP at first, but I grew to love it in film, so who knows.
I fear his appearance in DoFP having come first will ruin his potential as a character in this.

I fully expect to walk out of the theater having really enjoyed the movie but wishing it didn't having quicksilver in it. Be happy to be proven wrong :p
This is also the case for the famous Squirrelgirl beats the real Thanos Panel.
Nothing is more serious than that.

it got retconned

I fear his appearance in DoFP having come first will ruin his potential as a character in this.

I fully expect to walk out of the theater having really enjoyed the movie but wishing it didn't having quicksilver in it. Be happy to be proven wrong :p

I dunno I feel like it will be easy to separate the two. DOFP Quicksilver was more of a plot device than an actual character - he'll have an actual story arc in AOU.

Looking forward to both, want to see Quicksilver with a bigger role in Apocalypse.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Correct me if I am wrong as I don't follow comic books that much,isn't Ultron and Thanos considered the most powerful villains in the universe? Besides hulk, who else has any chance against them ?

with the gauntlet no one stands a chance against Thanos, without the gauntlet the Avengers with some help (drax , surfer, Adamn warlock) stand a chance of foiling his plans. He's not the most powerful as far as pure energy ...but he is probably the only indestructible mortal being in the Marvel U his durability is insane, and cosmic rays fuel his power, no finite being is more durable, on top of that he's one of the most genius beings in the universe being taught by his father Mentor who was himself a genius with thousands of years of study under his belt. The only guy to really come at Thanos was Magus and dat fro. But even he was outsmarted by the Titan. The guys weakness is/was his obsession with death.

Ultron can continue on in the sense that he can have copies , he jsut needs the software to be somewhere, his body has been destroyed before, but yes he gets worse as time goes on , becoming more and more resourceful and powerful co opting all kinds of tech. He broke caps shield, he killed thor in the recent AoU cross over, along with a bunch of other heroes including she hulk. Over time he can become insanely powerful and achieve whatever his warped goals are. Compared to Thanos though he wont last long, he tried to go hard on Galactus and got one shot, Galactus actually avoids bothering with Thanos.

Bloomers

If I may jump in on this,
Loki's staff is NOT an Infinity Stone. It's clearly stated that it's powered by the Tesseract ("It works an awful lot like a Hydra weapon"). Also, the staff's jewel is blue like the Tesseract.

I hardly see this line as evidence against the scepter having the mind stone because it was spoken by Captain America of all people. He isn't a technological expert, doesn't know anything about the Infinity Stones and his only experience with one is the Tesseract itself, so of course he would say the scepter functions similarly.

While this kind of detail is admittedly debatable, notice how Hydra weapons (powered by the Tesseract) and the Iron Man suits (powered by energy tech based on Tesseract) fire beams with the same sound effect. Loki's energy blasts had a completely different sound.

As for why the Scepter is blue, my theory is that Thanos has crafted the Mind Stone into the scepter in a way that conceals its true nature as an Infinity Stone. He doesn't what to clue Loki in on his plans but at the same time wants to give him some extra power, as well as the ability to control the Chitauri army. He makes the scepter only utilize direct mind control on contact. It's a shackle of sorts.
My theory is that at some point (in A3 or another film), Thanos reclaims the scepter and removes the Stone, restoring its more powerful mind control capabilities and changing it to a color that is consistent to the gems of the comics--- even if that wasn't Marvel's plans from the start. (Thanos would have effectively tricked the Trickster)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I dunno I feel like it will be easy to separate the two. DOFP Quicksilver was more of a plot device than an actual character - he'll have an actual story arc in AOU.

Looking forward to both, want to see Quicksilver with a bigger role in Apocalypse.
Haha, well... I envy you, in that it's not really easy or possible for me to separate the two because they're the same character. Pietro/Peter Maximoff, brother of Wanda, affiliate of the X-Men and sometimes Avenger, played by two different people in two different universes a year apart. We haven't seen anything else like this with any other characters because, annoying as all the contractual obligations are, they have at least confined characters to appearing in a single universe so far. My brain does not like it
LLShC.gif

I wish that he was used for more than one sequence in DoFP too, but I think Peters gave the character a lot of... character :p His interpretation/iteration having been seen by me first, I'm going to have to compare the Avengers one to that one. Considering they're apparently making the twins some kind of HYDRA experiment rather than being able to call them mutants at all... being unable to allude to who their father is... it just has the potential to irritate the crap out of me, haha.

I also don't really get Aaron-Taylor Johnson. I know a lot of people ridiculed the hell out of Evan Peters when they saw shots of him, but I at least saw what they were going for. Again I'd be happy to be surprised and love his interpretation but during Kick-Ass I never really found myself thinking "this guy would be perfect to play an angry torture victim with actual powers."

The funny thing is I expect Scarlet Witch to be great. Elizabeth Olsen seems like flawless casting to me for her and I'll be totally disappointed if she's not
KuGsj.gif

Showaddy

Loki's sceptre is weak as fuck compared to the other 3, no way it's an Infinity Stone. I mean holy shit the others are all like planet destroyers but the "mind gem" can't even hold down one old man? And I'm not even convinced the staff even made everyone sit down in that scene, seems like they just did it because Loki had them hostage and they'd just seen him murder someone.

Loki's sceptre is weak as fuck compared to the other 3, no way it's an Infinity Stone. I mean holy shit the others are all like planet destroyers but the "mind gem" can't even hold down one old man?

Loki didn't know what he had and wasn't using it to it's full potential.

Showaddy

Loki didn't know what he had and wasn't using it to it's full potential.

That pink girl just grabbed the orb from Guardians and it blew up a warehouse sized room, the staff just seems like a more advanced form of the weaponry shield/hydra were making out of the Tessaract.

Yeah, Loki's sceptre isn't an Infinity Stone. Maybe in early early drafts of The Avengers it was an Infinity Gem but they've clearly gone in different directions.

The scepter was apparently given to Loki by Thanos, and I don't think Thanos would have trusted him with one of the stones except for the one he was tasked with retrieving from the Earthlings. The Other probably would have said something too, "you better not lose that fucking thing."

I agree that it's probably powered by the Tesseract, like the HYDRA weaponry was. It's just far more advanced.

uhhhh

:exit stage left:

I dunno, but I definitely think it is NOT an Infinity Stone.

Interested in finding out though, would be convenient I guess cuz then that's one less macguffin movie plot they need to do.

Bloomers

This begs the question though: how is it powered by the tesseract since Thanos never had the Tesseract in the first place?

lol my thoughts exactly. We haven't had any credible character connect the Scepter to the Tesseract as its power source.

I actually think Loki's staff could be an infinity stone. Is it stated anywhere that all of the stones need to be super effective weapons? Maybe Loki's stone was more for mind control and it was only a moderate weapon at best?
Word. The Loki was using the gem in his scepter as a weapon, which if it is the Mind Stone, is not its intended purpose.
That being said, I'm also in the camp that believes that HYDRA weapons didn't kill people so much as send them somewhere in space.

Sephzilla

I actually think Loki's staff could be an infinity stone. Is it stated anywhere that all of the stones need to be super effective weapons? Maybe Loki's stone was more for mind control and it was only a moderate weapon at best?

Thanos could have trusted Loki with it because he figured he'd get it back, plus the Tesseract. While they don't say anything specific about the staff, The Other does state that if he fails there will be nowhere for him to hide from Thanos - which you could interpret as "Don't lose that stone".

Anustart

lol my thoughts exactly. We haven't had any credible character connect the Scepter to the Tesseract as its power source.

Word. The Loki was using the gem in his scepter as a weapon, which if it is the Mind Stone, is not its intended purpose.
That being said, I'm also in the camp that believes that HYDRA weapons didn't kill people so much as send them somewhere in space.

Sends em to the repple depple I bet.

J10

Banned

Thanos could have trusted Loki with it because he figured he'd get it back, plus the Tesseract. While they don't say anything specific about the staff, The Other does state that if he fails there will be nowhere for him to hide from Thanos - which you could interpret as "Don't lose that stone".

This was only a possibility before we knew the cube was a stone. Each of the six gems in a different color - red, blue, green, orange, purple, yellow. There will not be two blue gems. If you saw Guardians then this has already been confirmed for you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Colors are all mixed up though, we have blue for Space, purple for Power and red for Reality right? Leaving green yellow and orange for Mind, Tiime and Soul in some capacity

And the fact that the Tesseract and The Aether are shown in the Infinity Stone exposition scene and nothing about the staff. I think it's a done deal.

It's possible they're being intentionally misleading and trying to get the audience to forget the staff so it can be brought out later as a big reveal.

Poyunch

Dunno, about the possibility of seeing another gem in Antman but with two generations of Antmen wouldn't the Time Gem be logical if they were to add one?

kurahador

Colors are all mixed up though, we have blue for Space, purple for Power and red for Reality right? Leaving green yellow and orange for Mind, Tiime and Soul in some capacity

Well...that's what happen when you're trying to retcon stuff.

I wonder if we'll be seeing a gem in AOU.

Mafro

Dunno, about the possibility of seeing another gem in Antman but with two generations of Antmen wouldn't the Time Gem be logical if they were to add one?
I was thinking the other day that they might use the time gem in Captain America 3 for possible time travel scenes back to WW2 with him and Bucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom