• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

I was thinking the other day that they might use the time gem in Captain America 3 for possible time travel scenes back to WW2 with him and Bucky.

Wait a minute...there's a rumor that Whedon was shooting a scene in the 40's.
Maybe we'll be seeing a gem after all.

Pachimari

What is Phase 3 expected to give us? Is this realistic?

Ant-Man, Captain America 3, Dr Strange, Iron Man 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

I'm really hoping they off Tony Stark in AoU. But then it's Marvel and you know they won't let even their F-tier characters die in case they can squeeze some money out of a Coulson spin-off.

Sheroking

I'm really hoping they off Tony Stark in AoU. But then it's Marvel and you know they won't let even their F-tier characters die in case they can squeeze some money out of a Coulson spin-off.

Marvel's not going to kill off anyone significant because that's not the tone they want to establish. Even if they would, it wouldn't be their most popular character, and certainly not with RDJ locked up for Avengers 3 already.

Coulson doesn't even get a tier

Coulson was so popular in Phase 1 that this character is going to live on in comic form long after this continuity is over.

that would create some legit drama. they could have done that with cap 2 but then they really disappointed me with that obvious swerve later on.

is rdj out of his contract with avengers 3 or this one?

edit: nv/m. i see.

Sheroking

For sure Phase 3 starts with Ant-Man, will have Thor 3 and Captain America 3 as well as Doctor Strange and Guardians 2. There's another movie in there that we don't know for sure, but there's noise around Black Panther.

Sheroking

For stockholders, anyway. But there really is no sense of danger or threat to any Marvel movie because of their unwillingness to let any good guy die.

They're are more ways to establish weight and consequence than killing a character.

These are four quadrant movies that ALWAYS, to a movie, want to leave an audience happy. That's part of why this has worked so well. I don't believe Fiege would have it any other way.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
For stockholders, anyway. But there really is no sense of danger or threat to any Marvel movie because of their unwillingness to let any good guy die.

...plenty of people do die in their films though so...i dont need a hero to die..a life is a life. Besides gotta keep these guys alive so the kids can buy the toys.

number11

Marvel will never kill off any of their main characters. Although with the case of people like Captain America, I wouldn't be surprised if they kill Steve Rogers off, then simply get someone else to wear the suit.

Platy

Dunno, about the possibility of seeing another gem in Antman but with two generations of Antmen wouldn't the Time Gem be logical if they were to add one?

My vote is Time Gem to undo Ultron's chaos and Soul gem to be Dr Strange central plot point

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
An Infinity Stone in a Dr. Strange movie is a kind of a no brainer, but Black Panther is also a possibility. If there's a stone hidden anywhere on earth, Wakanda is where it would be.

Gartooth

I'd be shocked if any of the women die since there's already barely any. (Not saying you're insinuating it's Natasha)

Scarlet Witch being on the team would lessen it, but I get what you mean since we would once again just have the one token female.

I look at it this way. Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor are too big to kill since they have their own solo movies. Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Vision are being introduced in this movie so I don't see them being unceremoniously killed in their debut. That leaves Black Widow, Hulk, and Hawkeye. I know many think Hawkeye is the safest one to kill, but him being underdeveloped and the least liked Avenger is exactly why I see Whedon sparing him. Not to mention, Whedon likes causing tragedy when characters are at their happiest... which puts the Black Widow / Banner relationship in a new light for me.

Regarding Marvel actually allowing a character to die, I don't think they will commit to the death of a major character especially if the actor is under contract for several more films. If for example Hulk dies, I still expect Ruffalo to come back and reprise the character, but only after the character has been "ressurected" (maybe via Infinity Gauntlet?) in Avengers 3 or any future movie. Basically a comic book death, but in their film universe.

Scarlet Witch being on the team would lessen it, but I get what you mean since we would once again just have the one token female.

I look at it this way. Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor are too big to kill since they have their own solo movies. Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Vision are being introduced in this movie so I don't see them being unceremoniously killed in their debut. That leaves Black Widow, Hulk, and Hawkeye. I know many think Hawkeye is the safest one to kill, but him being underdeveloped and the least liked Avenger is exactly why I see Whedon sparing him. Not to mention, Whedon likes causing tragedy when characters are at their happiest... which puts the Black Widow / Banner relationship in a new light for me.

Regarding Marvel actually allowing a character to die, I don't think they will commit to the death of a major character especially if the actor is under contract for several more films. If for example Hulk dies, I still expect Ruffalo to come back and reprise the character, but only after the character has been "ressurected" (maybe via Infinity Gauntlet?) in Avengers 3 or any future movie. Basically a comic book death, but in their film universe.

I don't think Whedon will kill off Banner, even temporarily... but I do think he'll do something to make his life suck royally.

I think there were some rumors of (spoiled in the rare event they're true)
Banner getting shot into space at the end of the movie

Gartooth

I don't think Whedon will kill off Banner, even temporarily... but I do think he'll do something to make his life suck royally.

I think there were some rumors of (spoiled in the rare event they're true)
Banner getting shot into space at the end of the movie

I want She-Hulk to be introduced into the MCU soon so I'd rather he not die... but Marvel hasn't really shown any desire to build Hulk into a standalone franchise after the reception of the last Hulk movie.

What is Phase 3 expected to give us? Is this realistic?

Ant-Man, Captain America 3, Dr Strange, Iron Man 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

IM4 is unlikely, unless Marvel worked something out with Downey already. He is contracted for 2 more movies at this point, and Avengers: Age of Ultron is one of them, the 2nd was Avengers 3, so I doubt they would slip in IM4 unless they negotiated an extra movie in addition to A3.

But I would also add BP to the list, and probably either Captain Marvel and/or Nova. They will definitely expand on Cosmic Marvel in Phase 3, there is a reason they are adding a 3rd movie starting 2017. There is no way that they are only doing Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and then Avengers 3. No way they will miss the gravy train on this one.

IM4 is unlikely, unless Marvel worked something out with Downey already. He is contracted for 2 more movies at this point, and Avengers: Age of Ultron is one of them, the 2nd was Avengers 3, so I doubt they would slip in IM4 unless they negotiated an extra movie in addition to A3.

But I would also add BP to the list, and probably either Captain Marvel and/or Nova. They will definitely expand on Cosmic Marvel in Phase 3, there is a reason they are adding a 3rd movie starting 2017. There is no way that they are only doing Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and then Avengers 3. No way they will miss the gravy train on this one.

RDJ has recently said that he doesn't want to give up the Stark belt and that IM4 is actually very likely.

I want She-Hulk to be introduced into the MCU soon so I'd rather he not die... but Marvel hasn't really shown any desire to build Hulk into a standalone franchise after the reception of the last Hulk movie.

There's been a little more interest more recently with the success of his Avengers appearance and the fact that Ruffalo really can carry an entire movie by himself. Before Avengers, Feige was saying "no, we're done with Hulk, team movies only". Now, he's been more on the "we can't say anything at the moment, waiting for the right script" waffling.

And every chance he's gotten, Ruffalo has been saying that he really wants to do one and even has a good idea what it should be about to make it work on film.

Basically, the chance of there being one is now non-zero. Probably not super likely, but it's a step up. And if Ruffalo pulls out another great performance in Avengers 2, they'll probably consider it seriously even more.

Here's how Id do it. Make A3 two parts throw everyone into the first half and let Thanos kill off everyone who's contract ends there. In part 2 the remaining players beat him and reset the universe and allow the "new" Tony Stark, etc.

Here's how Id do it. Make A3 two parts throw everyone into the first half and let Thanos kill off everyone who's contract ends there. In part 2 the remaining players beat him and reset the universe and allow the "new" Tony Stark, etc.

Yup I think it should be a to be continued in....Guardians of The Galaxy 3 later that summer type of thing.

Anung

Un Rama
Man recasts after Avengers 3 are going to be massive PR shitstorms...

That's why I hope they have the balls to have Thanos straight up kill people. They can do some Star Trek rebooting recasting alternate universe shit later. Just give me my uber grim A3.

People complaining about MCU characters not dying as if we just didn't laud a retcon done in film.

Anyone pining for Wolverine's death?

Gartooth

Man recasts after Avengers 3 are going to be massive PR shitstorms...

Marvel/Disney will probably be paying out the ass to renegotiate contracts with the actors who decide they want to stay. As for those that walk, I think we can assume Chris Evans is gone. For RDJ, his recent comments being wishy-washy makes me uncertain of what will happen. He may sign on for a few extra movies, but I don't think he'll be around long term.

If they do end up having to recast a significant amount of characters, we'll probably see a lot of new movie franchises and sequels to the likes of Ant-Man and GotG in the mean time.

Neoxon

Marvel/Disney will probably be paying out the ass to renegotiate contracts with the actors who decide they want to stay. As for those that walk, I think we can assume Chris Evans is gone. For RDJ, his recent comments being wishy-washy makes me uncertain of what will happen. He may sign on for a few extra movies, but I don't think he'll be around long term.

If they do end up having to recast a significant amount of characters, we'll probably see a lot of new movie franchises and sequels to the likes of Ant-Man and GotG in the mean time.
It's a good thing they tied down Chris Pratt for the long-haul.

RDJ can do the movies for longer than some of the other actors because it's generally the Iron Man suit doing the action.

IM3 was the big outlier there, but that probably won't be happening again.

Ruffalo too, come to think of it.

RDJ has recently said that he doesn't want to give up the Stark belt and that IM4 is actually very likely.

I'm not doubting an IM4 won't happen, I'm just doubting that it happens before Avengers 3. RDJ has waaaaay too much negotiating power before his contract it up, especially if they really want him in Avengers 3. If/when IM4 happens, it will likely be after A3, assuming Tony survives, or they recast at the end of A3 (on film and make jokes about how he everyone looks different)
when they revive the fallen using the gauntlet

It'd make more sense to kill Thor. Narratively and business wise.

Well... since RDJ cost alot (and brings in even more), and Hemsworth is willing to play the role as long as they'll have him... I'm not sure if it it does, considering age and all.

XAL

I'm not doubting an IM4 won't happen, I'm just doubting that it happens before Avengers 3. RDJ has waaaaay too much negotiating power before his contract it up, especially if they really want him in Avengers 3. If/when IM4 happens, it will likely be after A3, assuming Tony survives, or they recast at the end of A3 (on film and make jokes about how he everyone looks different)
when they revive the fallen using the gauntlet

Well... since RDJ cost alot (and brings in even more), and Hemsworth is willing to play the role as long as they'll have him... I'm not sure if it it does, considering age and all.

I feel like they're going to kill Cap. Maybe Tony as well (Paul Rudd groomed to replace as the sassy guy?)

But who is going to replace him? Sam Wilson or Bucky?

I think the point of it appearing in the TWS post-credit was to show that it's not only able to mind-control people, HYDRA found a way to use it to give people powers. At least, they experimented with it on a bunch of people and the two survivors were able to manifest abilities.

It seems like a dead-ringer for the Mind Gem but I think Whedon, Gunn or Feige would have confirmed by now.

It is most certainly the Mind Gem, or they wouldn't be focusing on it so much.

Remember when Banner is examining the scepter and all the Avengers start losing their mind and almost starts a fight? That's the effect of the gem without Loki.

The Scepter was given by the Other to Loki, which means it was crafted by Thanos. There's no reason to believe that Thanos wouldn't disguise its color or power so no one would think of it as an infinity stone.

I.e What if the stone is actually green in color but since everyone is under the spell of the stone, they see what the stone/Thanos wanted them to see - blue.

He wanted Loki to retrieve the tesseract.

If Loki was successful, Thanos get both. Thanos' game is that he wants to gather the stones without being directly involved. The whole shebang in New York with Loki was game for Thanos. A means to conceal his true intention - get the space stone without Odin or an elder of the universe realizing what he's up to.

It was only Ronan who outed him once he discovered what the orb was.

Funny thing is, Thanos would mop the floor with Ronan even if he had the power stone. He would probably prefer Ronan coming after him.

Ronan barely knew how to extract power from it.

If it's not the Mind Gem, I have no idea why they'd bother bringing it back for Avengers 2 and giving it a prominent role. Whedon obviously wants the audience to remember it exists.

Moppeh

Banned
If it's not the Mind Gem, I have no idea why they'd bother bringing it back for Avengers 2 and giving it a prominent role. Whedon obviously wants the audience to remember it exists.

Because he can use it to justify whatever plots he can come up with. Plus, MCU Hydra's whole shtick revolves around them utilizing weird tech, so it makes quite a bit of sense in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom