• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

What's this about Chris Evans probably won't be going further? Did he say something?

He doesn't really like acting all that much anyway, especially if he's not the one behind the camera, and he's made several comments before about feeling locked in by Marvel's contract. After his deal is up, he wants to move more into directing.

If Evans does return to Marvel later on, I'm sure it'd be only a one-off or something small like that, not another six or even three-picture commitment.

TDKR already has too much damn FAT. It needed to lose the fat and use its runtime to its advantage. The fucking film goes for more than 2h40m and jack shit happens.

It needed to lose Catwoman. It needed to lose Blake and give Bruce the screentime his arc was badly screaming for. The film already felt bloated as is because so much of the runtime was squandered on garbage that just plain didn't matter.

Blake was needed. You may not have liked WHY he was needed, but he was integral to that story and to Bruce's arc (which I think received plenty of attention as is; then again I'm one of the crazy ones who don't think Bruce was some incredibly neglected character in TDK either).

Selina wasn't needed, though Hathaway is so surprisingly good in the role that I'm fine with it.

TDKR already has too much damn FAT. It needed to lose the fat and use its runtime to its advantage. The fucking film goes for more than 2h40m and jack shit happens.

It needed to lose Catwoman. It needed to lose Blake and give Bruce the screentime his arc was badly screaming for. The film already felt bloated as is because so much of the runtime was squandered on garbage that just plain didn't matter.

I disagree. I think the story of Wayne's eight-year hiatus, his return as the Batman, his struggle against Bane and his eventual victory could have been easily spread out to two movies, with further character development and more Batman action. The movie felt like it had a lot of fat because the whole creative team phoned it in and dropped a turd of a script.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IMO a Thanos film preceding Avengers 3 might be the best way to go, but I don't think we need two films. You can easily do most of the Infinity Gauntlet in an hour.

It's just very crucial that Thanos has to be the main character of the film. That's what makes the storyline interesting.

sirap

I would love an origin story for Thanos. He's such a big deal in the Marvel universe the general audience might need some explanation of his significance.

Wazzy

Banned
IMO a Thanos film preceding Avengers 3 might be the best way to go, but I don't think we need two films. You can easily do most of the Infinity Gauntlet in an hour.

It's just very crucial that Thanos has to be the main character of the film. That's what makes the storyline interesting.

I don't think we really need a Thanos film unless you mean a film centered around Thanos as the villain and another cast dealing with him.

Which is what I would just assume GOTG2 is going to be. They have tons of films to build him up as an even bigger threat and can use AOU as another setup. Maybe have a credit scene showing Thanos saying it's time he steps in to start collecting the gems.

georly

I don't think we really need a Thanos film unless you mean a film centered around Thanos as the villain and another cast dealing with him.

Which is what I would just assume GOTG2 is going to be. They have tons of films to build him up as an even bigger threat and can use AOU as another setup. Maybe have a credit scene showing Thanos saying it's time he steps in to start collecting the gems.

We're all assuming thanos is the big bad of avengers 3, correct? So it'll be like a loki situation? Introduce him as a villain in gotg2, but without the guantlet... and have him be stopped, but not defeated, only to come back w/ the gauntlet in avengers 3? Makes sense to me.

JustinBB7

I would love an origin story for Thanos. He's such a big deal in the Marvel universe the general audience might need some explanation of his significance.

I'd love this, since I don't know much about the comics either, but I always hear about him and from what I've seen, he's pretty funny. (and OP, which I like)

jmood88

Something tells me Rudd's not in this for the long haul.

I genuinely think if he could've gotten out of the contract when Wright left, he would have. Same with Michael Douglas. Both'll see out their contracts and, I'm guessing, speak very critically of Marvel in the future.
If they wanted to leave, I'm pretty sure that Marvel wouldn't risk either of them sabotaging the movie or turning in sub-par performances. You're just making things up based on nothing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We're all assuming thanos is the big bad of avengers 3, correct? So it'll be like a loki situation? Introduce him as a villain in gotg2, but without the guantlet... and have him be stopped, but not defeated, only to come back w/ the gauntlet in avengers 3? Makes sense to me.
The other big problem with this is that Feige alluded to the fact that Phase 3 might be too early for Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet.

I'm inclined to believe him on this, though I think it may stretching things too far and pushing their luck.

Jonogunn

The other big problem with this is that Feige alluded to the fact that Phase 3 might be too early for Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet.

I'm inclined to believe him on this, though I think it may stretching things too far and pushing their luck.

I beleive when it comes to the movie universe everything is pushed up sooner. It's not like comics or tv where u can stretch things out. Every movie needs to be a hit and each movie only come out every few years. If they wait pass Avengers 3 it'll have been too long. Kids would be teens by then...RDJ would be like a billion years old.

I beleive when it comes to the movie universe everything is pushed up sooner. It's not like comics or tv where u can stretch things out. Every movie needs to be a hit and each movie only come out every few years. If they wait pass Avengers 3 it'll have been too long. Kids would be teens by then...RDJ would be like a billion years old.
You realize there are more kids right behind today's right?

Jonogunn

You realize there are more kids right behind today's right?

Okay ya but for current movie fans of the series the payoff and hype for Thanos will have dimmished by then as it was dragged on way too long. Thanos was teased in Avengers 2012 showing that they will eventually meet up. If they wait past Avengers 3 to have they finally clash it'll be more than 10 years. Way too long.

Lord Fagan

He doesn't really like acting all that much anyway, especially if he's not the one behind the camera, and he's made several comments before about feeling locked in by Marvel's contract. After his deal is up, he wants to move more into directing.

I wonder what an Evans directed Cap film would be like...

Pachimari

I'm not sure I understand.

I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger or Captain America: The Winter Soldier yet, but are these movies not only leading up to the Avengers events but also something greater in Thanos?

I just finished watching Thor: The Dark World, and see this Aether is pretty core to the plot. Is this what Thanos wants alongside the orb in Guardians of the Galaxy and the other powers in the other movies? And the heroes don't know this right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger or Captain America: The Winter Soldier yet, but are these movies not only leading up to the Avengers events but also something greater in Thanos?

I just finished watching Thor: The Dark World, and see this Aether is pretty core to the plot. Is this what Thanos wants alongside the orb in Guardians of the Galaxy and the other powers in the other movies? And the heroes don't know this right?

The Avengers was the only other movie with one of these Infinity Stones, but yes, they don't even know who Thanos is yet, much less that he wants the,

In Avengers we saw The Tesseract
In Thor: The Dark World we saw The Aether
In Guardians of the Galaxy we saw The Purple Orb

So far those are the only 3 confirmed Infinity Stones we've seen.
As you remember from The Avengers, Thor and Loki took the Tesseract back to Asgard
and at the end of Thor 2: TDW, Lady Sif brought The Aether to The Collector for safe keeping.
and in GotG, Star Lord gave The Purple Orb to The Nova Corps.

The Avengers are not yet aware of Thanos nor his intent to collect all the stones.
The Avengers aren't even aware of what an Infinity Stone is or that there are more of them.

If you look carefully in Thor 1, when in the treasure vault, there was a glove.
**minor comic SPOILER - potential minor future movie plot spoiler**
This is believed to be the Infinity Guantlet, which will house the power of the stones and bestow the power of a GOD upon its wearer.

Real Hero

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just read infinity gauntlet and
the guantlet isn't an actual thing is it? Isn't it just thanks normal glove with the gems attached
unless this will be different in the movies?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just read infinity gauntlet and
the guantlet isn't an actual thing is it? Isn't it just thanks normal glove with the gems attached
unless this will be different in the movies?

the glove in the vault in Thor had all the colored gems attached already. Not sure if it was an easter egg that they will gloss over, or if they will adapt it like how I suggested.

But I don't remember how it came to be in the comics exactly. I haven't read that series since it was new on the shelf in the comic store.

the glove in the vault in Thor had all the colored gems attached already. Not sure if it was an easter egg that they will gloss over, or if they will adapt it like how I suggested.

But I don't remember how it came to be in the comics exactly. I haven't read that series since it was new on the shelf in the comic store.

Maybe it's fake gems stuck in the gauntlet to make it look 'pretty' whilst on display. Sounds a little bit silly I know but all the stuff in the vault is out in the open and so at least somewhat a vanity project for Odin.

Jonogunn

So is the
Infinity Gauntlet
in Thor put there on purpose with full knowledge that they would be doing the Infinity stones story or was it just a for fun easter egg that they regret putting in looking back?

So is the
Infinity Gauntlet
in Thor put there on purpose with full knowledge that they would be doing the Infinity stones story or was it just a for fun easter egg that they regret putting in looking back?

It wasn't focused upon, it's not stated in movie that is what it is. It's just a fun little Easter egg for fans. If they want to use it they can or they can just say it's Tyr's lost hand retrieved from Fenris' stomach.

Khezu

I hope Avengers 2 is infinity gem free.

In fact, I hope Thanos or the Asguardians found the other 3 off screen or something.

I know Earth is the center of the universe and all, but it would be silly if 5/6 gems found their way to Earth.

So is the
Infinity Gauntlet

It was so brief that I'm sure they would probably just gloss over it.

But it's also easy enough to adapt depending on what happens in Thor 3

Question: Is the Orb of Agomotto<sp?> the same thing as the Eye of Agomotto?
because that was also in the vault, yet Dr. Strange is about to happen...
Is that part of his power source? (I know almost nothing of Dr. Strange)

J10

Banned
Thanos' inclusion into the universe as the villain behind the villain was Joss Whedon's idea. Marvel did not have concrete plans past Avengers 1 and didn't even start thinking about what's going on right now until Thanos was actually up on screen that first time. Things like the Gauntlet and Orb of Agamotto and all the other eggs they sprinkled throughout the Phase 1 movies were just that, eggs. They were not intended as clues to future plans, but now that the train is rolling they're trying to tie things together as best as possible.

Jonogunn

Thanos' inclusion into the universe as the villain behind the villain was Joss Whedon's idea. Marvel did not have concrete plans past Avengers 1 and didn't even start thinking about what's going on right now until Thanos was actually up on screen that first time. Things like the Gauntlet and Orb of Agamotto and all the other eggs they sprinkled throughout the Phase 1 movies were just that, eggs. They were not intended as clues to future plans, but now that the train is rolling they're trying to tie things together as best as possible.

But I remember reading that the tesseract was always planned to be an infinity stone. That must mean they had the idea of Thanos before Thor and Cap: TFA were made.

J10

Banned
Nah, I don't think that's the case. The Tesseract was a separate thing originally until they decided to minimize the amount of MacGuffins floating around.

Doalateralus

Neo Member
I hope Avengers 2 is infinity gem free.

In fact, I hope Thanos or the Asguardians found the other 3 off screen or something.

I know Earth is the center of the universe and all, but it would be silly if 5/6 gems found their way to Earth.

Soul is undoubtedly Adam Warlock/Magus, which is probably GOTG 2. Only other possibility would be Doctor Strange if they were planning to avoid Warlock, which I don't see why they would.

Time is interesting. The potential is there for Antman (doubt it), Ms. Marvel (doubt it), Black Panther (doubt it), Doctor Strange (maybe) or one of the sequels (Thor or GOTG). I don't feel like it would be the Thor sequel, so I'm really not sure about that one.

Mind is probably Doctor Strange or Thor. Enchantress would be a good candidate for the Mind Gem in Thor and Doctor Strange probably has a story reason for having that one floating around. They keep talking about Surtur for Thor 3 though, so I'm not sure if we will even get Amora in an adaptation period. Although the Mind gem might be why Loki did what he did in Dark World, this one is more murky.

So unless Time is on earth, pretty much all the other gems will be space/alternate reality related.

Side note- I really hope Shuma-Gorath somehow gets his weird butt into the MCU.

Oh, and the other possibility is that Ultron does not die in Age of Ultron, but takes a nice trip into space to become a Guardians villain. But that's neither here nor there, just musing because they keep talking about how awesome Spader is acting wise. It would also buck the trend of flat out usually killing the villains. He'd be able to acquire one of the gems there and become a villain (probably Time, to turn back time and stop the Avengers or something)

So yea, my theory is (even if it doesn't entirely make sense):
Soul: Adam Warlock or Magus - GOTG2
Time: Magus or Ultron - GOTG2
Mind: Thor or Doctor Strange

Oh, the other way they could do it is just give Adam Warlock Soul and Magus Time, and have two dualing gems in one movie.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Sorry if this was brought up somewhere in the thread, but has there been any indication of what Scarlet Witch will be capable of other than telekinesis?

Doalateralus

Neo Member
Sorry if this was brought up somewhere in the thread, but has there been any indication of what Scarlet Witch will be capable of other than telekinesis?

She can "mess with people's minds" giving them hallucinations and visions, and apparently her powers are unstable and she doesn't even know how she does it sometimes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
She can "mess with people's minds" giving them hallucinations and visions, and apparently her powers are unstable and she doesn't even know how she does it sometimes.
Yeah, I guess it would be too much to throw in Hex Bolts or the ridiculously OP reality warping she has in the comics. Kinda wish she would at least have the Hex Bolts, although.

Doalateralus

Neo Member
Yeah, I guess it would be too much to throw in Hex Bolts or the ridiculously OP reality warping she has in the comics. Kinda wish she would at least have the Hex Bolts, although.

She might, but I doubt it. Probably sticking manly to telekinesis and psychological tricks. Although they might dip a bit more into the magical considering the MCU is about to have Doctor Strange, probably Adam Warlock and maybe Amora in it too soon. No real reason to start avoiding the full magic spectrum.

Scarlett Witch is going to reality warp everything into the House of T(hanos)

And yeah I have no idea what she could do that would be equivalent to "no more mutants".

Olsen also said in an interview that SW can see the future and talk to dead people as well. People on set have said her character acts a lot like Drusilla (sp?) from Whedon's show Buffy which I'm guessing means she has a lot going on mentally (no idea what that reference entails).

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
No more..Inhumans?

VtAJMYU.jpg

Doalateralus

Neo Member

Yea, it would make sense that if Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Inhumans in this universe, and they've been planning an Inhumans movie for a long time. In addition to that, pretty sure Inhumans are going to start popping up on Agents of Shield next season.

So a "No more Inhumans" type thing from Scarlet Witch may be plausible. They could easily kill Quicksilver and that sets her off.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Was just talking with my wife the other day and explaining the whole universe going forward from TWS and GotG ... we both ended up geeking out over the idea of Bucky following his comic self and becoming Captain America after Chris decides to bow out.

I really like his portrayal in TWS and seeing the metal arm + shield + pistol on the big screen would straight up get me hard.

It's amazing how hyped they've managed to get me going forward into AoU and Phase3 ... we are going to go out when GotG his blue ray and buy all the ones we don't have still (Thor2 and TWS and a few others.)

eastx

If they wanted to leave, I'm pretty sure that Marvel wouldn't risk either of them sabotaging the movie or turning in sub-par performances. You're just making things up based on nothing.

Marvel had less than a month to find a new director and script polisher. Had they suddenly decided to recast the leads, the film would have been delayed or simply died.

As to whether or not the leads still want to be in the movie, their contracts are signed and they are professionals. They would have to want out extremely badly in order to voice the desire to quit before making the movie. But none of us know how they actually feel about having to make what will essentially be a different movie than they signed on for.

Gun Animal

Marvel had less than a month to find a new director and script polisher. Had they suddenly decided to recast the leads, the film would have been delayed or simply died.

As to whether or not the leads still want to be in the movie, their contracts are signed and they are professionals. They would have to want out extremely badly in order to voice the desire to quit before making the movie. But none of us know how they actually feel about having to make what will essentially be a different movie than they signed on for.

Pretty sure what Rudd signed up for was "a shitload of money" and I'm also pretty sure his contract extends to Avengers 3 which is all they need him for. I don't think Ant-Man or Doctor Strange will actually be successful enough to warrant stand-alone sequels, (see: the Incredible Hulk) and even if Marvel makes an Ant-Man 2 after Avengers 3 they can just cast someone else as the third Ant-Man, Eric O'Grady, which is the only Ant-Man I'd want to watch a movie about in the first place.

Sheroking

Pretty sure what Rudd signed up for was "a shitload of money" and I'm also pretty sure his contract extends to Avengers 3 which is all they need him for. I don't think Ant-Man or Doctor Strange will actually be successful enough to warrant stand-alone sequels, (see: the Incredible Hulk) and even if Marvel makes an Ant-Man 2 after Avengers 3 they can just cast someone else as the third Ant-Man, Eric O'Grady, which is the only Ant-Man I'd want to watch a movie about in the first place.

It isn't 2008 anymore.

Anything in the MCU is going to make bank simply by virtue of being an MCU film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom