• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also: In Guardians they made Drax out be searching for
vengeance against Ronan The Accuser instead of Thanos like in the comics, right?

At the end of the movie, he says
That Ronan was working for Thanos, so its really Thanos he should be seeking vengeance against

Mariolee

Yes, but if I recall correctly, after the whole conflict he also said something like
Maybe Thanos is the one I should kill

I think it was more like,
"Ronan was just a pawn. Thanos is the person I'm really after."

I remember that line getting some laughter at my first viewing's audience.

guek

Banned
"Meaty" women in Hollywood...wait, that doesn't sound right...muscular women in Hollywood is not a look that's in really high demand. As has been mentioned before, Emily Blunt in edge of tomorrow is pretty much exactly the kind of build I'd want for Carol.

edge2-emily-blunt-5.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I actually like ScarJo, but Emily Blunt would have slain as Black Widow. She looks beautiful, yet crazy fit (as much as I love her ladybumps, ScarJo is way more plushier than comic-book Nat) and cold as ice.

anaron

Since Avengers and WS, I'm glad it went to Scarlett. She's stunningly beautiful which lends to BW's using it as a tool and her deceptive nature plus coupled with her husky voice? it's just cooler.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I didn't care about BW in Avengers. Winter Soldier, however, made me think she actually needs her own film ala Bourne. Girl has stories for days.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
IM 1 > BB

TDK >>>>>>>>>> IM 2

IM 3 >>>>>>>> TDKR

Yeah Spider Man 2 and TDK are probably better than Iron Man 3 (although 3 is still damn good), but I just can't hate Iron Man 2 that much. Its biggest issue is the MCU stuff with Fury throws a few wrenches into the pacing, but as far as "low entries" go in these trilogies, it doesn't have nearly the fundamental issues of Spider Man 3 or TDKR

Blader

Dark Knight trilogy is unbeatable for me but I think a Cap trilogy could end up a strong second unless they shit the bed with the third.

AMUSIX

oooh! are we doing the 'rank the marvels' again? I'd just say that there hasn't been a single Marvel movie that I didn't enjoy watching. As for ranking them, it'd be stupid to try to put them in a list that wouldn't change with my mood, so I'll just use tiers:

Tier 1: Guardians, Avengers, Winter Soldier
Tier 2: IM3, IM1
Tier 2: Thor, Cap1
Tier 3: Thor 2, IM2
Tier 4: The Incredible Hulk

Guardians, Winter Soldier, Iron Man
Avengers
IM3
Thor
Thor 2, Cap 1
IM2
Hulk

I need to see TWS and IM3 again to see if those ratings still hold up.

"Meaty" women in Hollywood...wait, that doesn't sound right...muscular women in Hollywood is not a look that's in really high demand. As has been mentioned before, Emily Blunt in edge of tomorrow is pretty much exactly the kind of build I'd want for Carol.

edge2-emily-blunt-5.jpg

I doubt Marvel will approach her again after her backing out of Iron Man 2 to star in Gulliver's Travels.

I doubt Marvel will approach her again after her backing out of Iron Man 2 to star in Gulliver's Travels.

But she knows the error of ways.

If she had known that it would lead to something this big, she would have dropped whatever other commitment she had. I doubt she would make the same mistake twice.

Villains of dk trilogy better than villains of mcu by far. Only blacklac would argue Loki being better than joker or something lol

But iron man 3 was way better than tdkr

Villains of dk trilogy better than villains of mcu by far. Only blacklac would argue Loki being better than joker or something lol

But iron man 3 was way better than tdkr
Truth. Nolan trilogy had Ra's and Joker. MCU can't hang with that, no matter how great Loki is. But I pray Ultron delivers.

BLACKLAC

I'll give you all Ledger's Joker. Greatest villain performance in CBM's hands down. I've always said Ledger carried that trilogy on his back and Nolan should be kissing his grave once a week for the rest of his life.

But the rest? No way. I put both Alexander Pierce and Obadiah above Ra's Al Ghul, they made Ra's less interesting taking away the lazarus pit angle.

Winter Soldier and Red Skull above run of the mill bomber turned simp Bane (seriously why do that to the character?).

That's not even including Loki, Killian and Blonsky. While Nolans trilogy has the top of the list with Joker it also has the bottom of the barrel with Talia.

X Men films have Magneto and Stryker. OG Spidey has Green Goblin and Doc Ock. All are tip top antagonists. I do have a very big soft spot for Brian Cox as Stryker.

J10

Banned
Nomak from Blade 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ultron about to take that top spot though. James Spader, man.

Neoxon

Drax eventually realizes that Ronan was just taking orders from Thanos, so he focuses his vengeance on the one to made the kill order after dealing with the one who dealt the fatal blow.

JDMC13

As far as I know, she didn't back out. She had every intention of being Black Widow. Except she had already signed up for Gulliver's Travels or had an existing Fox deal, Fox fast-tracked Gulliver's Travel after she started talks to play Black Widow in Iron Man 2.

If the rumors I heard are true, Fox did it deliberately to hurt Marvel, something about Avi Arad. Though it seems like a stretch to release a full blown movie to hurt the casting of another, especially a business partner.

Nah even bane is better than mcu's best, prior to the neutering he was menacing as fuck with entertaining screen presence

Winter soldier? Haaaaaanh? He looked cool for sure but dude was a mute, and he'll probably stay that way too, who wants Sebastian stan as the next cap? Hell nah just give it to mackie when Evans leaves

Talia's shit tho forreal, the worst of all discussed

Best mcu villains imo:

Obediah > Justin Hammer > Pierce > Ben Kingsley > Loki

Justin Hammer was wasted on a weak movie sadly but he was still hilarious. Genius casting Sam Rockwell as sort of a faux-stark

BLACKLAC

Kingsley's no villain, just a misunderstood starving actor! He'll be the one to take down the real Mandarin in Iron Man 4 after he picks up Thor's Hammer to crush Thanos while shouting "For Midgard!".

I forgot about Justin Hammer, which is a sin. :/

Renekton

Loki is more fleshed-out than TDK Joker.

Joker:
- Appears out of nowhere, barely any backstory or relation.
- No redeeming factor.
- No logical explanation to how he can motivate untrained thugs into completing logistically impossible tasks in parallel. When audience goes into each set piece, the elaborate trap has already been magically set up, all behind the scenes

Loki:
- Carefully established, has fleshed out backstory.
- Sympathetic flawed character, motivations are understandable.
- You can see him trying to execute his plans, including recruiting ex-SHIELD people, bargaining with Thanos, failing and regrouping.

oooh! are we doing the 'rank the marvels' again? I'd just say that there hasn't been a single Marvel movie that I didn't enjoy watching. As for ranking them, it'd be stupid to try to put them in a list that wouldn't change with my mood, so I'll just use tiers:

Tier 1: Guardians, Avengers, Winter Soldier
Tier 2: IM3, IM1
Tier 2: Thor, Cap1
Tier 3: Thor 2, IM2
Tier 4: The Incredible Hulk

Agreed.

JdFoX187

Banned

Joker:
- No redeeming factor.
- No logical explanation to how he can motivate untrained thugs into completing logistically impossible tasks in parallel. When audience goes into each set piece, the elaborate trap has already been magically set up, all behind the scenes

While I agree with the last part, the brilliance of Joker is he appears out of nowhere with no backstory or relation and has no redeeming qualities to him. They didn't need to waste time trying to come up with some contrived, stupid backstory. He just shows up and shit happens. It fits perfectly with the character and is certainly better than devoting half the movie to the origin of the villain for one final showdown, like most CBMs.

Renekton

While I agree with the last part, the brilliance of Joker is he appears out of nowhere with no backstory or relation and has no redeeming qualities to him. They didn't need to waste time trying to come up with some contrived, stupid backstory. He just shows up and shit happens. It fits perfectly with the character and is certainly better than devoting half the movie to the origin of the villain for one final showdown, like most CBMs.
That's not a Joker signature trait, or at least I don't think so. One of the better Batman books, Killing Joke, gives a version of his origins. He normally has a motivation that makes sense in a (sometimes twisted) way, many times tied back to Batman himself or made to juxtapose his nature.

AMUSIX

Loki in the first Thor movie is fucking fantastic. Watch the movie and focus on him, on how he works, his discoveries, the creation of his motivation, and his plays to reach his goal. Just fantastic development. I attribute this largely to Branagh, as he really understands telling tales with that sort of gamesmanship. Really wasn't surprised when he was fingered to be the villain in Avengers.

Of the Iron Man movies, I really think that IM2 had the best villains. Still, both Hammer and Whiplash were really held back by writing that was all over the place.

As for Nolan's Batman films, of course the Joker was brilliant. R'as al Ghul was largely forgettable by pretty much anyone who doesn't know the name before going into the movie, so pinning the villains of the third one to him was a mistake, IMO. Scarecrow was excellently done, though. As for Bane...great performance, terrible final product. Really, is there no aspect of that movie that hasn't become a running joke? Oh, and Talia was just shit.

a916

Joker:
- No redeeming factor.

Loki:
- You can see him trying to execute his plans, including recruiting ex-SHIELD people, bargaining with Thanos, failing and regrouping.

I don't understand why this is a bad thing. He's not supposed to be redeeming, he is the complete opposite of Batman.

The thing that Joker and every other DK villian has had is that you feel like the Joker one upped the Batman a few times before being caught whereas Loki is treated like a joke. A mere annoyance. MCU just doesn't treat their villians with the same level of respect as DC does.

Skunkers

The thing that Joker and every other DK villian has had is that you feel like the Joker one upped the Batman a few times before being caught whereas Loki is treated like a joke. A mere annoyance. MCU just doesn't treat their villians with the same level of respect as DC does.

Errr... So you never watched Thor 1? One upped? Loki's plot took Thor from being mere seconds away from being the King of Asgard to being stripped of his powers and banished to another realm, under the impression that Odin is dead, and with Loki having successfully usurped the throne. And the deception is so complete, Thor completely believes it was all his fault. That's about as one upped as you can get.

I'm not saying he's better than Joker or that the film is better than BB/TDK, but let's call a spade a spade here.

AMUSIX

The thing that Joker and every other DK villian has had is that you feel like the Joker one upped the Batman a few times before being caught whereas Loki is treated like a joke. A mere annoyance.
???
In Thor 1, Loki manages to get Thor exiled, manipulates the frost giants into being pawns for him, and is nearly successful in his play for the throne of Asgard. Even when he is thwarted, he chooses to flee than be imprisoned.

In Avengers, they more or less play him as the petulant son throwing a tantrum, but his machinations are still successful at almost every turn until he's finally laid out by hulk and his army put down.

In Thor 2, he fucking wins.

Dilly

Banned
I don't understand why this is a bad thing. He's not supposed to be redeeming, he is the complete opposite of Batman.

There was more threat in a DBZ fight than in Man of Steel.

Joker:
- No redeeming factor.

Loki:

Don't agree that those points about the Joker are a negative though. It makes him almost seem like a force of nature, in the same way as Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men for example. I quite like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom