• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

James Gunn & the Russo Bros. raised the bar for MCU movies with GotG & Winter Soldier. I hope you're up to the challenge, Joss. And from the looks of these images, he is.

Sheroking

Assuming it looks as good as Faraci said, I wonder if the trailer will silence those saying Whedon can't direct

That argument was silly as shit to begin with.

He proved he could direct when he was outstyling Sopranos directors on a 1999 WB budget.

Maybe just maybe there was a learning curve for his first 200 million dollar SFX feature.

Have to agree with those not digging the eyes. Too human like IMO, not menacing enough. That's just from a still though, and It's hard to get an idea of what the shape of the head will be. Can't wait to see him in motion. In Joss We Trust.

Face seems to line up with this one, though

ultron-avengers1.jpg

Sheroking

Something an actual Sopranos director said, by the way.

EDIT: Though I'll be damned if I can find the 15 year old quote. Anyway, surprised anyone who watched those two shows would disagree. They were far and away the two best looking shows as long as Whedon was directing Buffy. Episodes like Hush and Restless look far, far better than almost all current TV and they were shot on about 1/4th the budget of most current network TV.

Have to agree with those not digging the eyes. Too human like IMO, not menacing enough. That's just from a still though, and It's hard to get an idea of what the shape of the head will be. Can't wait to see him in motion. In Joss We Trust.

One of the things Whedon said when he revealed the villain would be Ultron was that he would be more "human" in his portrayal, and giving him non blinky robot eyes goes a long way to portraying the emotion of the character. This isn't a cartoon or something but a high-budget production with a really great actor playing the character, I think it's the kind thing that looks weird from a trailer screencap but will look really convincing in motion.

Have these been posted yet? Saw them on the MCU Facebook group:

http://i.imgur.com/gFcvpJK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DZ8yhdp.jpg

ehhh, not digging Ultron there, his face is too flat and human like.

Yeah if that's Ultron I'm not digging the eyes. Maybe it's an early form if so.

Yeah, the eyes are a bit too human. Hopefully it is an early version and we get the big gaping red maw for the mouth and the creepy angled eyes for the final form.

Sheroking

When Ralph Fienes portrayed Voldemort originally, he asked that they leave keep his eyes human because it was important for the character to be expressive. He argued inhuman eyes would damage the performance.

I'm guessing the same logic was applied here.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
When Ralph Fienes portrayed Voldemort originally, he asked that they leave keep his eyes human because it was important for the character to be expressive. He argued inhuman eyes would damage the performance.

Was he Voldemort in all movies? Also as the face on Quirrels head in philosopher's stone?

J10

Banned
I imagine it's to make him more expressive... but what the hell does a supreme artificial intelligence need expressions for?!

I know that's what they're going for, I just don't like it. His eyes should be triangles. Do whatever the hell you want with the mouth, but leave the eyes alone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ultron having at least a few "bit too close to human" looks makes a lot of sense when you consider we're also getting The Vision's origin jammed in here.

Sheroking

Was he Voldemort in all movies? Also as the face on Quirrels head in philosopher's stone?

No.

I know however when they were designing Voldemort in his physical body (first appeared in the fourth book/film), they initially wanted him to have red slit eyes like he did in the book, but Fiennes lobbied successfully for human eyes.

I know that's what they're going for, I just don't like it. His eyes should be triangles. Do whatever the hell you want with the mouth, but leave the eyes alone.

The mouth still needs to be this glowing red maw. I always liked thinking the mouth never moved, nor did the triangle eyes. It was more unnerving with this cold, unmoving face.

They could have still been burning red like my childhood nightmares though. And the Quirrel head didn't have red eyes either.

Something an actual Sopranos director said, by the way.

Buffy's one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time but that show and Whedon as a director is nowhere near the level of something like the Sopranos on a technical/cinematography standpoint. Outside of season finales Whedon didn't even direct many epsiodes of Buffy directly anyway, and while he ranges form mediocre to solid he can't hold a candle to people like Cary Joji Fukunanga or Allen Coulter. He's fame comes for his skills as a writer, and it's the primary aspect of the acclaim and discussion surrounding shows like Buffy and Angel, it's not his distinct directing style (he doesn't really have one) or his groundbreaking cinematography (not much of that either) that got him the Avengers, it's his ability to tell a story and write good characters.

This movie is going to top The Winter Soldier. It's going to be everything we want. I feel it in my very soul. Marvel and Whedon going to deliver so hard.

J10

Banned
The mouth still needs to be this glowing red maw. I always liked thinking the mouth never moved, nor did the triangle eyes. It was more unnerving with this cold, unmoving face.

That's how I always imagined him as well. I get that they need the face to emote though. I just wish the basic shapes could stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom