• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

Buffy's one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time but that show and Whedon as a director is nowhere near the level of something like the Sopranos on a technical/cinematography standpoint.

Episode to episode, absolutely not.

But, again, I didn't pull that out of my ass. There was a panel for Sopranos many years ago where an AD on that show complimented Buffy by saying it was regularly better looking than Sopranos.

Outside of season finales Whedon didn't even direct many epsiodes of Buffy directly anyway, and while he ranges form mediocre to solid he can't hold a candle to people like Cary Joji Fukunanga or Allen Coulter. He's fame comes for his skills as a writer, and it's the primary aspect of the acclaim and discussion surrounding shows like Buffy and Angel, it's not his distinct directing style (he doesn't really have one) or his groundbreaking cinematography (not much of that either) that got him the Avengers, it's his ability to tell a story and write good characters.

Whedon directed 22 out of the 140 something episodes of Buffy, and many of them remain some of the best looking episodes of TV ever shot. Hush and Restless alone were master craft for a sub 1M budget, shot in under 12 days within 4 months of each other.

Dude can direct.

Inb4 Ultron loses more and more human-like facial features as he descends into madness (after the vision betrays him).

This would be a cool way to visualize his increasing fuckedupness.

My guess is that image is Ultrons earlier but more premium form. It'll get destroyed and he'll use the form from the EW as a more hastily built one along with the Ultron drones.

I dunno, he should be improving his tech as he changes bodies - and looking less and less human as he starts to decide that humanity is not all its cracked up to be.

FeD.nL

People talk so much shit about Iron Man 2 but it has some really great moments. That scene on the raceway, the drunken brawl, and the scene with Iron Man & War Machine blowing the shit out of the drones were flashes of brilliance in an otherwise middling film. That final confrontation with Whiplash was so underwhelming in comparison :(

Marvel should just let Jon Favreau do one more IM movie on a more lenient schedule. IM1 remains the best MCU movie imo and IM2 had some great moments, the ones you stated but also every scene with Justin Hammer with the ex-wife as an absolute highlight and still one of the best bits of dialogue in the MCU to date. Sam Rockwell was so great in iM2 and it still has the best looking BW, long hair natasha > the rest. IM3 is such a big let down after the first two.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
That's how I always imagined him as well. I get that they need the face to emote though. I just wish the basic shapes could stay the same.

His mouth and eye holes are still the same. The frame grab could've just been a scene where he's not emitting as much light (thus giving us the classic shape) for whatever reason. I don't think it's really something to worry about. From all the other media we have of Ultron/his drones, his eyes/mouth appear similar to how they are in the comics.

Wonder if someone at NYCC snuck in a recording? Didn't they show it again at NYCC?

Twice. One at a retailers-only panel and then for the Marvel Unlimited Plus panel.

bumpkin

One of my favorite moments from Avengers:

TLxbvce.gif
The better one was when Thor tried to shock Stark, but instead super-charged his armor to 500% and then he blasted that clown across the forest/park.

Sorry, not a fan of "Shakespeare in the Park." Lamest Avenger.

Sorry, not a fan of "Shakespeare in the Park." Lamest Avenger.

He's got the Batman problem of having a primary antagonist who is incredibly more interesting than him. The Loki scenes made Dark World worth watching. Except Batman is cool, Thor for me, in the MCU at least, just comes off as fucking dumb. Like, I know Loki needs to pull one over on him because he's incredibly cunning but man, for an immortal god-like being, he's fucking duuuuuuumb.

"ANOTHER". It's funny, but I don't feel like he's that powerful or useful at all.

mjc

you guy's don't like those eyes? they make him look way creepier than the robot ones that the art depicts.

I agree. Having the triangular eyes like he does in the comics is bit silly looking. At least in that shot there's a degree of humanity in there. Makes him all the more unsettling, I think.

Ultron looks fine, but the eyes could be better.

I'm confident the eyes and mouth will change though considering they used his classic design in the first teaser trailer. I don't know why they would show that and then never use it in the actual movie at some point.

J10

Banned
I don't think he's supposed to be creepy looking. I think he's supposed to be cold looking. Any creepiness should come from his dialogue and his actions.

Here he looks like a Terminator with antennas.

Dave_6

Ultron looks fine, but the eyes could be better.

I'm confident the eyes and mouth with change though considering they used his classic design in the first teaser trailer. I don't know why they would show that and then never use it in the actual movie at some point.

I was about to say, since they used his classic design in the teaser surely it will be in the film at some point.

Sheroking

I love movie Thor so much. He's so fun and enduring. Ever since he went to that pet shop and asked for a dog or cat he could ride in the first film, I knew he was great.

Yeah, Thor on film is way more personable and interesting than Thor in comics. I like him a lot. Criminally underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom