• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed's multiplayer fell by the wayside to concentrate on their single player strengths

Astray

This game's marketing is weird in its constant insistence on telling me what it's not (why even tell me about the things you scrapped or didn't go for because you don't know you can do right?). You're supposed to focus on the game's strengths, what's good about it etc.

I know FOMO is bad for me as a consumer, but for God's sake Microsoft you're supposed to at least try to make me feel it.

clarky

Gold Member
This game's marketing is weird in its constant insistence on telling me what it's not (why even tell me about the things you scrapped or didn't go for because you don't know you can do right?). You're supposed to focus on the game's strengths, what's good about it etc.

I know FOMO is bad for me as a consumer, but for God's sake Microsoft you're supposed to at least try to make me feel it.

I think they have done that with what they have released in the 2 or so trailers and the direct. Evem if it looks a bit shit so far.

But because this game does not have the features of Skyrim and BG3 combined the narrative around this game seems to focus on what it isn't.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
After Parvati’s companion quest in Outer Worlds, thank god we will be spared more of Obsidian’s “romance”.

Still have pretty low expectations for this game, but no romance and no multiplayer sound like positives to me.

Me9O7yK.jpeg
so weird. the game actually feels like those people...

Moochi

This is what you get when you hire people who want status and a stable job instead of young men who love videogames and will work themselves near to death to prove themselves.

Ozriel

M$FT

Have you tried to listen to any of the streams or podcasts where these headlines are taken from? its certainly not Obsidian’s fault that journalists make these headlines because they know that draws attention.

Why would you call this ‘marketing’?

Here’s the WindowsCentral article where this was culled from

Here they talk about the depth of their companions feature, including recording a ton of audio for banter, there’s confident claims about side quests being as fully fleshed out as the main story and quite a number of other positives. Not exactly their fault someone culls out a nothingburger for a thread here.

Kacho

After Parvati’s companion quest in Outer Worlds, thank god we will be spared more of Obsidian’s “romance”.

Still have pretty low expectations for this game, but no romance and no multiplayer sound like positives to me.
Troof. On a surface level the exclusion of online and romance is A-OK.

That said, I’m expecting another ultra mediocre RPG like Outer Worlds. I suspect this was planned for years before the Microsoft acquisition, annd would have been published under the Take-Two AA label Private Division. After Obsidian was acquired by Microsoft, they opted to not cancel the game.

Should this bomb, and Outer Worlds 2 doesn’t perform well, I think it might be the end of the road for Obsidian. Their peak years are way behind them unfortunately.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The people jumping for joy at the exclusion of multiplayer will be nowhere to be found when the game sells 1.1 million copies after a year on the market with multiple discounts.

The Virtuous Cycle will not be denied.

MarkMe2525

Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'
"We backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane?"

No romances:
From thegamer article:
Even though it might not be the rival to Skyrim that many of us were hoping for, Obsidian's Avowed is shaping up to be one of the most exciting games of 2024,especially now that we know it's taking a lot of cutes from The Outer Worlds. As excited as most RPG fans are for the game, there is one thing that has seen a bit more of a mixed reception - the lack of romantic relationships.

But yes, please tell me again how 99.999999% of the western civilized world! didnt expect half the shit I MADE UP, when there are articles written about them. Fuckface.
You OK?

Ozriel

M$FT
The people jumping for joy at the exclusion of multiplayer will be nowhere to be found when the game sells 1.1 million copies after a year on the market with multiple discounts.

The Virtuous Cycle will not be denied.

Everyone knows the inclusion of multiplayer in Redfall papered over all the cracks and drove it to mass market success

Nicolas Cage Laughing GIF

Astray

I think they have done that with what they have released in the 2 or so trailers and the direct. Evem if it looks a bit shit so far.

But because this game does not have the features of Skyrim and BG3 combined the narrative around this game seems to focus on what it isn't.
I think the art style has taken a very clear turn for the worse. But that's something I don't hold against the devs because that's my problem.

It's yet another time where Microsoft announces things too early and tries to drive hype, then pays for it later when the real world happens and they have to change things.

Have you tried to listen to any of the streams or podcasts where these headlines are taken from? its certainly not Obsidian’s fault that journalists make these headlines because they know that draws attention.

Why would you call this ‘marketing’?

Here’s the WindowsCentral article where this was culled from

Here they talk about the depth of their companions feature, including recording a ton of audio for banter, there’s confident claims about side quests being as fully fleshed out as the main story and quite a number of other positives. Not exactly their fault someone culls out a nothingburger for a thread here.
So they should talk more about the bolded? Show a small sidequest to demonstrate what they mean by depth?

Even Redfall knew not to talk about cut content so much. It's Obsidian, no one was expecting anything "large in scope" from them anyways.

What I'm saying is, talk up what exists in the game instead of bringing up things that don't exist in it and weren't ever mentioned before, but this way, they're just making the game look smaller than it might actually be.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That's the wrong call. Everything's wrong with sticking to what you know and focusing on making the best single player experience you can.

Baldur's Gate 3 is bottom of the barrel when it comes to RPGs (coop or otherwise). Most everything measures up and surpasses that standard.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's the wrong call. Everything's wrong with sticking to what you know and focusing on making the best single player experience you can.

Baldur's Gate 3 is bottom of the barrel when it comes to RPGs (coop or otherwise). Most everything measures up and surpasses that standard.

Everything's .. wrong .. with making .. the best single player experience you can ..

Mood What GIF by NBC

Last edited:

Pop

Co-op is an option is always great. 100%

I don't believe their excuses though

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It's yet another time where Microsoft announces things too early and tries to drive hype, then pays for it later when the real world happens and they have to change things.

When did this happen with Avowed?

So they should talk more about the bolded? Show a small sidequest to demonstrate what they mean by depth?

I shared an article with you just now where they literally talk about the stuff in the game they’re proud of.

Even Redfall knew not to talk about cut content so much. It's Obsidian, no one was expecting anything "large in scope" from them anyways.

Where’s the ‘cut content’? They dropped plans to make the game multiplayer early in development.
It’s like arguing the mainline Final Fantasy games are small in scope because they don’t have multiplayer.

What I'm saying is, talk up what exists in the game instead of bringing up things that don't exist in it and weren't ever mentioned before, but this way, they're just making the game look smaller than it might actually be.

From the article I shared with you, which you obviously didn't read:

I won't miss this feature and look forward to an epic, single-player fantasy RPG from Obsidian, but I did ask (on behalf of my editor, Jez Corden) if Obsidian ever reconsidered multiplayer in Avowed after seeing the success of Baldur's Gate 3. Patel had a lot to say on the topic.

Are you really complaining because they answered questions posed at them in an interview?

They’ve been asked about Romance options and now Multiplayer. Were they not supposed to provide an answer?

S0ULZB0URNE

No, you're not joking. But clearly you didn't read the article either.

The MP was dropped a long time ago, this is not new news They already talked about it over a year ago.

I read what the OP posted.
I'm not always going to go further as detective Bourne.

Ceadeus

As long as it ressemble nothing like the outer world.

Levels felt stagnant, static, small and empty.

If you look at the bigger picture, in the outer world, you're the only character, beside the enemies, moving around. Other NPcs standing still, watching you looting scraps and whatnot. Looting your 56th ordinary combat knife and 268th health potion.

Like, we've been there before, these games are retarded

Last edited:
Top Bottom