• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
If anybody is there that reads this thread...ask them to put a sock or something over the microphone as a pop filter. So much popping >_<

Myggen

Bit of a boring game to open with 'speed run' wise. Not much to watch other than just running and missing a ton of stuff. No cool glitches, and very little interesting chatter.

I disagree, I think those pure skill based runs are more entertaining than many of the glitch runs.

Bit of a boring game to open with 'speed run' wise. Not much to watch other than just running and missing a ton of stuff. No cool glitches, and very little interesting chatter.

Wat

Disagree like a mofo.

This game is all about skill, not glitching through it.

And the commentary is fantastic so far.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
plop into VLC/MPC
http://bog.no-ip.biz/sc2/stream2vlc.php#justin|gamesdonequick

source
Code:
http://video50.fra01.hls.twitch.tv/hls30/gamesdonequick_12497593328_185461900/chunked/py-index-live.m3u8?token=id=8180031026730942466,bid=12497593328,exp=1420478453,node=video50-1.fra01.hls.justin.tv,nname=video50.fra01,fmt=chunked&sig=170e76ffc1dee7484791d2f3e9047f8c1e0d2427

high
Code:
http://video50.fra01.hls.twitch.tv/hls30/gamesdonequick_12497593328_185461900/chunked/py-index-live.m3u8?token=id=8180031026730942466,bid=12497593328,exp=1420478453,node=video50-1.fra01.hls.justin.tv,nname=video50.fra01,fmt=chunked&sig=170e76ffc1dee7484791d2f3e9047f8c1e0d2427

This is not working for me, both on VLC and MPC.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*background scrolls during the boss*
WOW! I never noticed that before. Retro am gods

Gerugamesh

Neo Member

Spikevegeta could be talking about the fantastic sight of Indiana's corn fields and I'd still listen to every word.

Wendler

Banned
You could argue that you just don't like this speedrun, but the chatter? The chatter is absolutely perfect and how it should be. Great chemistry between the people on the couch, awesome lead commentary and no awkwardness.

Dr. Buni

*background scrolls during the boss*
WOW! I never noticed that before. Retro am gods
The amount of detail Retro put in its games is incredible. Can't wait for Retro's next game,
hopefully it is neither a DK or Metroid game this time. Give us something new.

A speedrun like this is extremely hard to keep tight, sometimes I think people only get excited when a player makes the character clip out of bounds.

LordAlu

BibleThump for NeoGAF but it's a good time and place to share this.

I've posted quite a bit on the OT but my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer in April last year. It's been a long hard year but her first chemotherapy treatment was successful for her type of cancer to freeze it in place. That bought her time to have a great summer and go through with preventitive radiotherapy to hopefully stop it spreading to her brain. Her biggest fear was losing her mind before she passed away.

As we were in the run up to Christmas in November she discovered new lumps and bumps and it was confirmed her cancer was once again on the move and the only choice was to let to happen and for her to die or to attempt a trial chemotherapy in the hopes that something would help out. Being the fighter my mother was she opted to attempt that and began early December.

A week before Christmas she began sleeping a lot but her numbers were fine and we were all concerned. She made it to Christmas Eve and we had a (fairly) normal Christmas Eve with board games and fun but everyone knew deep down inside this was our last Christmas and this was special. You could see she was in pain and needed to rest a lot but it was still great. Christmas day was a bit worse, great start to the day but she had tremendous pain in her back and shoulders from what we would later find out was severe potassium deficiency and luckily after we had Christmas dinner my dad decided to take her to the hospital and they managed to start working on getting her to recover.

Fast forward to about two hours ago where my father, my brother and I made the very hard decision to agree to a DNR and to take her off all non-pain medications and to let her pass. After Christmas the cancer took her over. In the past week my dad has been visiting her daily (I couldn't because I was sick and didn't want to get her more ill.) and tell us about how she'd stare off into the distance randomly or say random things that didn't make sense. She lost the one thing she didn't want to over the course of a week, her mind.

So to be here sitting here watching something I love to watch each year waiting on the phone call to tell me my mother has passed away is bittersweet.

Cancer fucking sucks. I'm glad our hobby has events like this to attempt to help in some way.
Very sorry to hear of this. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Loving this run so far! We're coming up on the only one level that I'm 'good' at in the game. 6-3 Aquaduct Assault, I have the WR time on by some miracle. Let's just say that I got bored one week(end) and went ham, haha.

I thought the same of DKCR runs before but since I recently played one of them I got a much bigger appreciation for it. They're really difficult games which you'd never guess from watching this.

It's been sometime since I've watched these.
Where are all these Touhou plushies or something that I used to see? They were entertaining.

Nanashrew

Banned
BibleThump for NeoGAF but it's a good time and place to share this.

I've posted quite a bit on the OT but my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer in April last year. It's been a long hard year but her first chemotherapy treatment was successful for her type of cancer to freeze it in place. That bought her time to have a great summer and go through with preventitive radiotherapy to hopefully stop it spreading to her brain. Her biggest fear was losing her mind before she passed away.

As we were in the run up to Christmas in November she discovered new lumps and bumps and it was confirmed her cancer was once again on the move and the only choice was to let to happen and for her to die or to attempt a trial chemotherapy in the hopes that something would help out. Being the fighter my mother was she opted to attempt that and began early December.

A week before Christmas she began sleeping a lot but her numbers were fine and we were all concerned. She made it to Christmas Eve and we had a (fairly) normal Christmas Eve with board games and fun but everyone knew deep down inside this was our last Christmas and this was special. You could see she was in pain and needed to rest a lot but it was still great. Christmas day was a bit worse, great start to the day but she had tremendous pain in her back and shoulders from what we would later find out was severe potassium deficiency and luckily after we had Christmas dinner my dad decided to take her to the hospital and they managed to start working on getting her to recover.

Fast forward to about two hours ago where my father, my brother and I made the very hard decision to agree to a DNR and to take her off all non-pain medications and to let her pass. After Christmas the cancer took her over. In the past week my dad has been visiting her daily (I couldn't because I was sick and didn't want to get her more ill.) and tell us about how she'd stare off into the distance randomly or say random things that didn't make sense. She lost the one thing she didn't want to over the course of a week, her mind.

So to be here sitting here watching something I love to watch each year waiting on the phone call to tell me my mother has passed away is bittersweet.

Cancer fucking sucks. I'm glad our hobby has events like this to attempt to help in some way.

Sorry to hear, man :C. My heart goes out to you.

Don't think any other run we' ll top this one. Super metroid ones tend to be great but thta's an old game. Of the recent games this run will top anything.

trixx

I thought the same of DKCR runs before but since I recently played one of them I got a much bigger appreciation for it. They're really difficult games which you'd never guess from watching this.

Yeah I think you have to play through it to fully appreciate the speed run. They make the levels look very simple

CassSept

I guess it's one of those 'If you've played it, you'd understand' games. Just not feeling this one at all, as an opener too.

I have not played Tropical Freeze yet and it's a very impressive and engaging run, but maybe it's because I cleared all of DKCR so I understand the mechanics

Sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you. I lost two uncles to cancer so the pain there is real, the pain is not something you can resist even as a grown man, I'll donate just for you, if that can make you feel any better.

You don't have to donate on my behalf or my mother's behalf. I'm just using this as an appropriate venue to share my pain. The kind words are nice to read and I'm just excited to watch these runs like I do each year.

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
I guess it's one of those 'If you've played it, you'd understand' games. Just not feeling this one at all, as an opener too.

I haven't played the game yet, but I'm still finding it entertaining. Partly because I find it interesting to see all the ways they've come up with to go as fast as they are in less than a year. The commentary is giving some insight on how speed runners discuss and analyze the mechanics of the game to come up with their strategies and discover new things.

This world 6 barrel rocket level took forever for me to beat yesterday. So of course he immediately takes a hit intentionally to show off.

Dr. Buni

That level annoys me and I haven't even played the game yet. The rocket levels were such shit in Returns >_>

The Super Castlevania IV race will be epic.
Well that's a classic game and a race!

im talking about console games in recent years. For speed runs Tropical Freeze is top of the line. Outside of Nintendo stuff only some indi games could come close to speed runs for this beast.

And pogoing on top of the hammer? Amazing.

Top Bottom