• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Rapstah

I never thought I would see the day when people were looking back on the N64 as a console of polished, smooth, bug-free games.

Relatively speaking, the games are gold compared to something like...

Sonic Boom.

That sounds like a new rating system.
On a scale of Sonic Boom to 10. If not that then
"This is game is horrible and not even worth playing, but when you compare it to Sonic Boom it's actually pretty good"

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I never thought I would see the day when people were looking back on the N64 as a console of polished, smooth, bug-free games.

i guess they at least boot up without having to wait 10 minutes for a patch

Nanashrew

Banned
Well, for something like Banjo or OoT, despite being glitchy to all hell these days, most casual players won't ever find or see these in normal play with how hidden they are. More important bugs and glitches were obviously put on a higher priority to fix so the game works as intended. No way were they ever bug free, but they did try their best to make the games work.

Compare to some games of today like AC:Unity or many studios over relying on patches to fix even the bigger bugs.

Relatively speaking, the games are gold compared to something like...

Sonic Boom.

You should be comparing it to how games are released without patches, patches kind of make the comparison unfair.

Like let's compare it to AC:U....

or anything else Ubisoft and EA release

So what's everyone's favorite game to see speedrun? I'm guessing cosmo & OoT is a fav?

For ones I speedrun it's RE4, Strider and Sonic Games because that's a community I talk to a lot so for personal reasons it's exciting.

Zelda series because they're all awesome to watch

Other games like:
F-Zero and Super Monkey Ball because of the insane amount of skill and potential fuck ups make it arse clenching. But man, when the perfect frame tricks are pulled of, it gets hype.

Other times it's based on the player like TriHex and how he makes Yoshis Island fun as heck to watch.

So what's everyone's favorite game to see speedrun? I'm guessing cosmo & OoT is a fav?

Jak 3 is an awesome run. Megaman 2, Gimmick, and pokemon crystal are good for retro games. Dark Souls is also an awesome run.

Oh, and TP and TWW are both better watches than OoT. Come at me.

OoT, I like Runnerguy's runs more though. Any Zelda game is great to watch since I've played them to death myself, but some of the newer ones are pretty long and it's not fun to watch on streams(in which you mostly see the first half hour and then a reset).

Most RPG's are also great since they're unlike most speedruns and are more about solid tactics than execution.

Also can't forget about 2D metroid.

dmr87

Same here. My 2nd monitor is dedicated to the Twitch stream while these things go on lol.

Oh yes

ohlb.jpg

Cyrano

I personally played several N64 games that were worse than Sonic Boom. I'm not saying those were the big, popular games, but they existed.
Like what? (not trying to sound snippy, don't know how to word this better ^^;) I mean even I can think of some horribly buggy games too, but again, in relative terms, Sonic Boom is way worse than anything I can think of off the top of my head (there are few games whose bugs are so bad that they can easily and consistently lock the game, cause the game to not load, and allow you to skip 80-90% of the game). Though maybe that's just the power of marketing. Because I do know that marketing was near-nonexistent for a lot of games before the PS2-ish era.

Thinking about it for a bit, Goldeneye does have a lot of game-locking bugs (mostly due to mission triggers not going off, making the only way to "complete" the level to die and restart it).

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I wonder if Twitch will be cool enough to unmute the VOD. I really doubt they would, but I'd love to proven wrong.

You have to ask for an appeal. They won't unmute them on their own accord.

Is this true of twitch-sponsored events as well? I'd think they would take some initiative there, but I haven't looked into it.

Also, invite pls <3 username is my gaf name

Top Bottom