• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

TheMoon

As with most games that have text, they use less characters than other languages which means less text auto scrolling and/or less text boxes so they're generally faster. Zelda games are almost always ran in Japanese. Another point is that PAL games are much slower. Oddly, though I think the fastest Zelda WW HD is Italian.

Twilight Princess all dungeons category is run in German because you can skip certain item texts there which other languages don't have. Also, TP runs at 29.97(?) frames in NTSC and a flat 30 in PAL so it's faster. Italian is generally the fastest European language so yea, WWHD uses that since JP apparently isn't any faster in that game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This year just smacks of the professionalism they've been building towards incrementally with each event prior.

I guess it was bound to happen since the Prevent Cancer Foundation are now contracting the "volunteers" in order to run it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
My only issue with the stream so far this year is the audio. I'm having to turn my TV up pretty loud to hear donations and stuff, but if they start yelling or clapping it's insanely loud. It won't keep me from watching by any means, but I have to keep a remote handy the whole time.

Why do you say this isn't a worthwhile charity?

They seem pretty alright to me - they're even considered more transparent than Doctors Without Borders.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=5435
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3628

Don't mean to imply they're not transparent, just I find the allocation of their money to be underwhelming. Only 22% to research, and the rest is simple awareness campaigns (in the USA only) such as conducting self examinations.

Cyrano

Don't mean to imply they're not transparent, just I find the allocation of their money to be underwhelming. Only 22% to research, and the rest is simple awareness campaigns (in the USA only) such as conducting self examinations.
Fair enough. Still, early detection is one of the most important parts of cancer prevention and treatment.

I agree that more money could go to cancer research though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah but with the resetting and it looks like they keep running the same track. Also why TT? I thought he was like a new game + unlock.

Cyrano

I don't understand what I'm watching here with DKR.
I agree. Like, I know what their goals are, but I don't understand who's winning, who's doing good tricks... commentator's curse - by which I mean, no commentators make the run hard to appreciate :(

Yeah but with the resetting and it looks like they keep running the same track. Also why TT? I thought he was like a new game + unlock.

TT's the fastest character in the game, so the DKR community allows starting a new game with him already unlocked. But yeah, they need to re-assess the donation comments to couch commentary ratio.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't understand what I'm watching here with DKR.

What they should really think about implementing is a worm graph showing how far along certain people are depending on valuable checkpoints in-game. It might be a little hard to work out, but I'm sure something whipped up in Excel could be used without too much issues.

Gurrry

I was thinking MK wii would be fun, but after 2 hours of this im a little burned out. I could go for some sort of castlevania run or something as a palette cleanser, lol.

Hopefully MK wii and MK 64 arent too terribly long!

(no offense meant here, just not big on racer speed runs)

I was thinking MK wii would be fun, but after 2 hours of this im a little burned out. I could go for some sort of castlevania run or something as a palette cleanser, lol.

Hopefully MK wii and MK 64 arent too terribly long!

(no offense meant here, just not big on racer speed runs)

I agree about the MK Wii thing, but the MK64 is actually really entertaining since it's a computer playing the game. There's some wild tricks they can do with it.

That's part of the game's structure. To 100% the game, you have to beat the tracks, beat them again to collect coins, and I think even a third time to get keys? Maybe a fourth time . . .

I don't know . . . it's mostly fun when you're playing the game; the difficulty ramps up a bit and you're forced to take some alternate routes to pick up all the coins. That said, I'm not a big fan of watching the speedruns.

They mentioned that Banjo was the usual racer, but at some point, they decided that since you can't un-unlock TT after getting him, it was okay to use him in the run.

Also, they reset after beating a boss a second time because it is faster to start over in the overworld than go through each cutscene and leave the world.

Furthermore, they abuse a glitch in order to get the Trophies by playing the first (faster) world for each and warping out, keeping the data in check until it is flagged as complete in-game.

The ridiculously long 2 game Rare block sure is ridiculously long. Not gonna lie, DKR is great and all but it becomes very samey after the first 20 or whatever races.

CookTrain

What they should really think about implementing is a worm graph showing how far along certain people are depending on valuable checkpoints in-game. It might be a little hard to work out, but I'm sure something whipped up in Excel could be used without too much issues.

I'm guessing most of these runners use timers and checkpoints when streaming regularly... Obviously it's not trivial to set up, but I'd wager it wouldn't be prohibitively difficult to at least have cutesy heads along a bar showing how far ahead the runners were. Would need someone external paying almost as much attention as the runners to keep the checks up though.

Bumhat

I'm not that into this run, it's my first day back at work tomorrow after the Christmas break, it's gone midnight in the UK... and yet I can't stop watching.

AGDQ strikes again!

This all wouldn't quite be so bad if Toufool wasn't just utterly crushing the other two, but he is so it's basically a solo run with two slower replays a bit later.

Top Bottom