• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Ruff

Lmao I can't believe someone sitting at the front literally grabbed the mic in the middle of the stream to tell a room full of people having fun to jump under a bus and die while comparing them to cancer. How insensitive to the entire purpose of the show can you be, Like how much of a social pleb do you need to be....

Auctopus

Lmao I can't believe someone sitting at the front literally grabbed the mic in the middle of the stream to tell a room full of people having fun to jump under a bus and die while comparing them to cancer. How insensitive to the entire purpose of the show can you be, Like how much of a social pleb do you need to be....

Context?

Weetrick

The crowd began chanting Waluigi "WAHs" really loudly whenever someone got an item (which happens hundreds of times in 100%). It was super annoying. The couch guy overreacted by hijacking a mic and telling the crowd to jump in front of a bus. Then he mysteriously disappeared from the couch. Late in the run, the announcer began silencing the crowd. Literally saying "silence please!" during normally hype moments like Metroid skip and the save/kill announcement.

As a viewer, it was awkward all around - crowd, couch and announcer.

Lanrutcon

Ouch.

I understand the tradition and I know it's sacreliege to say, but I can understand why the crowd would be getting restless during the Super Metroid race. It's beyond dry, pretty much the same thing every year, and the idea of it being "quiet time" for the audience just does not make sense as it's the big run the entire event builds toward. I'm sure it worked better in the early days (I didn't come in until 2014), but with GDQ being as big as it is now, I'm just not sure it fits, at least in that slot.

The lighthearted, fun, loud Undertale run was the kind of thing I'd certainly prefer to have more of during the final couple slots of the week. A celebration, not Serious Business.

- Donkey Kong 5: This appear to be a rom hack of Super Mario Bros DX, but only half the game, and bad, and featuring Donkey Kong. Contains the definitely non-canonical assertion that Diddy Kong is just a version of Donkey Kong who hasn't eaten in a while??? Also a weird frame story about Chinese spirits??? Recommendation: Watch.
It actually appears to be running on it's own engine (at least people who have dumped the rom say this) complete with performance problems. This is despite coming out in June 2002 (according the serial numbers that the Taiwan company who made it uses). They're happy to plagarise sprites and music (Pokemon Pinball) so they could have actually used the real SMB DX.

But yes usually these pirate games are hacks of original games with sprite changes.

*-It came out on GB and GBC with the former being Europe only. First version edited more sprites, added colour, changed the script (Gargamels opening text is now Meowth with part of a English > Chinese > English translation of "my heart will go on") and ran at about half speed while the latter just changed the main character into Pikachu and called it a day.

The audience started doing Waluigi noises to go with the item fanfare.
https://youtu.be/VEBbCQ0D1cA?t=1h19m30s

The race was a bit awkward with a less passionate than usual commentary and announcers and then a few minutes later serious time came back with a vengeance:
https://youtu.be/VEBbCQ0D1cA?t=1h37m50s
Though if the runners requested it it's fine but it really could have done with better communication because it is quite unprecedented with how long it was for (12 minutes essentially).

It's the least passionate save the animals victory ever. We didn't even hear how much it made :(

jnWake

Super Metroid 100% is kinda boring IMO. Any% is much more fun to watch since it's much riskier and being shorter doesn't allow runners to be as separate as they were yesterday.

Layell

It honestly wouldn't be a GDQ without some good drama and cringe, no matter how much those in power try their best to scuttle it. I didn't see any other real cringe/drama this year too, but I probably watched less this year than previous ones.

The YouTube upload of the finale on the official channel has the no audio glitch on the video, lol

It also doesn't have the audience mic on, so you can't hear the screaming that was going on right then either.

I'm trying to catch up on youtube with some runs, but if there's one I can recommend (that probably nobody else will lol) it's Addams Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RLEZonx0s

the run is like 6 minutes so it's an easy watch,

and it looks like a straightforward side scrolly type game, but the way the commentary goes and the amount of stress the runner appears to be under, they make the game sound like it's some kinda La Mulana Dark Souls type of thing,

like wow OK I really want to play this game now!!!

worst run I saw was Decap Attack. The run was fine, but the player was annoying and kept talking crap about the sega, like he's one of those guys who would rather talk about ethics in game journalism than actually have fun playing games.

Thanks for this, that was a pretty intense run.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I didn't watch the Super Metroid run this year because frankly it's boring as hell and done to death. I get that it's their big donation driver and a lot of people remember it fondly and many people run it and the Save/Kill incentive is pretty elegant. But, uh, who cares at this point? They do two of these a year. I dunno, maybe I'm totally wrong and everyone is mega hyped to see SMB1, SM64, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc. But at what point do you basically have your fill? If I'm wrong about what other people think, I'm wrong, but for me it's an extremely boring part of the marathon to see the same games done again and again.

Tall4Life

I didn't watch the Super Metroid run this year because frankly it's boring as hell and done to death. I get that it's their big donation driver and a lot of people remember it fondly and many people run it and the Save/Kill incentive is pretty elegant. But, uh, who cares at this point? They do two of these a year. I dunno, maybe I'm totally wrong and everyone is mega hyped to see SMB1, SM64, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc. But at what point do you basically have your fill? If I'm wrong about what other people think, I'm wrong, but for me it's an extremely boring part of the marathon to see the same games done again and again.
SM64 is different man. There are multiple categories that are well populated and it is almost purely a skill based run outside of some glitches to access unreachable areas. And I mean skill as in just playing the game, not skill involved with getting 1 frame OOB wrong warps and such.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So what are the big runs to watch in the VODs?

Anything wacky like that run from last year where the guy started doing impressions and telling people to tweet various companies?

KaYotiX

Banned
Super Metroid is boring.....its the same thing every year. I didnt even watch it this year.

That being said, The Undertale finale was amazing!!! i think they made over $400K just in that block alone.

Its also alot more fun to watch these runs when the crowd is into it.

I still love Super Metroid since it's my favorite game ever, but the commentators really hurt the enjoyment this year. The highlight of Awful GDQ this year was Batman and Robin. It was hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I guess every year there has to be some drama every time one of these happens. I guess there's controversy over the Dark Souls run where the DS community started making fun of the runner for having cancer or something.

I haven't watched the Super Metroid runs for the past few GDQs because yeah, it's become such a known quantity. I wouldn't mind a GDQ event where I don't have to hear the phrases "save the animals" and "kill the animals" in every other read donation for a week.

Tukker

For me the most enjoyable runs were the mario sunshine race, the zelda race and the wind waker speedrun.

Super Metroid is boring.....its the same thing every year. I didnt even watch it this year.

That being said, The Undertale finale was amazing!!! i think they made over $400K just in that block alone.

Its also alot more fun to watch these runs when the crowd is into it.
When does the undertale run start to get amazing? I am 30 minutes in and about to tune out. Maybe it's just not grabbing me.

Fancolors

I understand why they keep Super Metroid, but they should definitely consider finding other games for similar donation incentives.

The crowd was seemed very hyped when they saw Undertale's "Is anime real?". Maybe make that your next donation drive? It doesn't take time and that game is probably popular enough to last a few years.

E-flux

Was this the first year they had add breaks in between runs? I also didn't like the CEO opening and interviews they held, i liked GDQ A lot more 2014-2015 events because of the low production values, they had so many awful moments when people tried to be funny or edgy, but i will take that any day over the people who need to watch their mouths that they don't drop F bombs. Quality of runs is still top notch though.

I don't remember Twitch run ads, specifically, last year, but they've been playing sponsor ads for at least the last few years I remember.

That indie (?) game company that always sponsors them, I must have seen their ad 100 times last year. And I don't remember who they are, so that's some good ad retention!

Gurrry

I'm trying to catch up on youtube with some runs, but if there's one I can recommend (that probably nobody else will lol) it's Addams Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RLEZonx0s

the run is like 6 minutes so it's an easy watch,

and it looks like a straightforward side scrolly type game, but the way the commentary goes and the amount of stress the runner appears to be under, they make the game sound like it's some kinda La Mulana Dark Souls type of thing,

like wow OK I really want to play this game now!!!

worst run I saw was Decap Attack. The run was fine, but the player was annoying and kept talking crap about the sega, like he's one of those guys who would rather talk about ethics in game journalism than actually have fun playing games.

Just watched it lol. That runner was stressing hard, but performed at a top level and didnt get hit once. Great run!!!

Yeah the Metroid run is burning me out too. I understand that the kill and save the animals incentive is sort of a tradition but I wouldn't be opposed to them mixing it up as there are so many great games and incentives they could do. The Metroid Rotation run was way more interesting this year.

Weetrick

Super Metroid races are my favorite event by far but I would be ok with giving it a break. At least for SGDQ. But given that save/kill had $800,000 worth of donations, I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Given how hard the organizers are obviously trying to mix things up in the overall schedule, down to things like the Metroid Rotation and running Ocarina of Time 3D instead of N64, I'm perfectly fine with them doing Super Metroid every year. It pulls in the donation money, which is obviously what's most important here.

Yeah, I don't think Super Metroid is going away, but it would be cool to see them mix it up a bit more next time- maybe use some sort of romhack, maybe do two players one controller, etc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone missed it, the crazy "world rotated 90 degrees" Super Metroid hack thing from earlier in the event was actually really cool.

Yeah, I don't think Super Metroid is going away, but it would be cool to see them mix it up a bit more next time- maybe use some sort of romhack, maybe do two players one controller, etc.

Yeah definitely this. People also need to remember that this is twice a year too, not just the once, so maybe mixing it up could be something they do for atleast one of the two GDQ's. I feel like other games and incentives could bring in the money if given the chance. Whilst kill and save the animals does a great job I'm sure if there was something else in its place people would donate regardless.

Is the YouTube archive quiet or something weird in my setup? I have my receiver turned up literally to the max it will go, which normally is call the police levels, and still pretty quiet.

E: was only getting audio out of 2 channels. Changed PS4 audio settings to Dolby from PCM which is forcing all channel stereo. Strange but I'll take it.

I just wanted to jump and in point that the GTA: Vice City run is really, really good, one of the best of the event I think. It's got a lot of weird tricks and funny stuff, and the commentator is great at pulling off stuff while describing it and keeping up with everything including the story. It's really worth watching.

Is the YouTube archive quiet or something weird in my setup? I have my receiver turned up literally to the max it will go, which normally is call the police levels, and still pretty quiet.

E: was only getting audio out of 2 channels. Changed PS4 audio settings to Dolby from PCM which is forcing all channel stereo. Strange but I'll take it.

They were having audio issues throughout the beginning of the week, at least. I remember watching some streams live where the game audio started to blast and you couldn't hear anything else. Not sure if that was present throughout the whole week, though.

Metroid 100% races aren't that thrilling. Most of the tension comes to 3-4 key skips that save a lot of time, and there are not that many opportunities for lead changes with how luck-dependent the Phantoon battle can be. Any% races are wayyyy better even if they likely don't bring in as much money, because the risk of death is ever present the way it isn't past the first 3 minutes of a 100% run.

Let's put it another way, the only reason the audience got obnoxious with the waluigi noises is because they were bored, disengaged from the content of a race that was fairly well decided halfway into the estimated time.

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine that in a game as speedrun-friendly as SM you couldn't create some new formats that would be interesting.

For anyone still on the Speedrun trill, on the 19th there will be the Brazilian AGDQ
It is smaller in all senses (4 days only) but ... it is something. Includes the brazilian dude who went to SGDQ to run Freedom Planet !

Schedule :
https://horaro.org/speedrunsbrasil/2017
Stream :
https://www.twitch.tv/speedrunsbrasil

Includes Barkley Shut up and Jam, Breath of Fire 3, Goof Troop, Shadows of Mystara, Kid Chameleon, Top Gear and others

Breath of fire 3, 10 hour any% PogChamp

Isn't Super Metroid basically what gave birth to speedrunning as we know it today?

I think that's why it gets put on such a large pedestal. It's basically equivalent to what Super Mario Bros. represents to the general public.

Isn't Super Metroid basically what gave birth to speedrunning as we know it today?

I think that's why it gets put on such a large pedestal. It's basically equivalent to what Super Mario Bros. represents to the general public.

It was definitely one of the biggies, for sure.

Kill/Save brought in nearly $1 million by itself. In terms of a charity stream it isn't going anywhere. That said, stuff like the rotation hack is a nice change.

Top Bottom