• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Hey, all. I just got back and I appreciated the kind words you guys had here about my Silent Hill 4 run. Let me tell you, this event was a blast. Such an honor to be a part of it.

dreams

That felt a bit anti-climatic but hey they broke the record. I have a bunch of runs I missed that I want to see. I have a huge amount of respect for the speed running community and got curious about looking up the world records of a bunch of games I enjoyed. I was surprised by I what saw since many of the runners were ranked number one or close to it.

And talk about diversity! It's amazing how people come from different backgrounds and walks of life. It's a passionate community. TheMexicanRunner looks like a pretty cool guy so I'll look out for his stuff in the future. It was great to see some Latino speed runners on a big event.

Yeah, that's one of the greatest things about GDQs. And like 99% of the people are extremely nice and helpful in just about every way.

Definitely give TheMexcianRunner a follow! His streams are great and he's hilarious. Especially if you like NES stuff.

Hey, all. I just got back and I appreciated the kind words you guys had here about my Silent Hill 4 run. Let me tell you, this event was a blast. Such an honor to be a part of it.

Glad to hear you made it back safely! Your run was definitely one of the highlights of the marathon for me.

It's crazy that the last day made more money then the rest of the week combined... I thought it was only on par to beat the record, not shatter it.

Bamco's prize bundle had a decent amount to do with it, I'd say- they went from "a few hours ahead of last marathon's pace" to "RECORD FUCKING SHATTERED, DONATION TRACKER HOSED" when they announced that one. I'd be shocked if that sort of thing didn't become a regular fixture in the future.

Platy

Also this is currently the top stream on Twitch. Beating League.

It always does that ... it is SPECIALY amazing in the Awful Games Done Quick where it is like SNES Batman Forever beating league of legends

Best place will be their YouTube channel which shady has most of the last 6 days. Just don't subscribe because they'll flood your in box the next week as they replace the stream virus captures with higher quality ones.

Oh I know where to find it ... i mean more in finding WHAT to watch xD

Sorry the stream ended like 5 am here =|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for the run! Great work

Despite the skill involved that we the least entertaining Super Metroid run I've seen at a GDQ. This is basically the fault of the commentators and couch. Wtf at the guy telling the room to kill themselves. Thankfully he was taken out. Even yelling silence at the crowd was weird. I know that serious time is there for a reason, but let them cheer for just a second. There wasn't even really a reaction to save the animals winning the bid war, compare to previous events where it won and reaction to it. Oh well, congrats to the runners and the Super Metroid superhero Zoast. I always get the urge to learn how to speedrun Super Metroid after watching these races, maybe one day I'll actually start.

tci

Despite the skill involved that we the least entertaining Super Metroid run I've seen at a GDQ. This is basically the fault of the commentators and couch. Wtf at the guy telling the room to kill themselves. Thankfully he was taken out. Even yelling silence at the crowd was weird. I know that serious time is there for a reason, but let them cheer for just a second. There wasn't even really a reaction to save the animals winning the bid war, compare to previous events where it won and reaction to it. Oh well, congrats to the runners and the Super Metroid superhero Zoast. I always get the urge to learn how to speedrun Super Metroid after watching these races, maybe one day I'll actually start.
I hope they fix this until next time. I'm just glad it ended with an awesome Undertale run, rather than ending on that. Having knowledgeable people commentate on the couch is not enough. They also need to be charismatic and entertaining.

brainslug

Damn, over 2 million raised. That's really impressive.

Some of my favorite runs were SH4 The Room, Mega Man race, SMB race, Castlevania race, Mighty No. 9 (screw the haters, the runner was great!), DuckTales race, Crash Bandicoot 2, The Lost Levels 2 player 1 controller...

Still have to watch some VODs, at least the Undertale run and finale. Also interested in the DOOM run, but I'll have to finish the game first myself.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
2.2 Mil! Weeeeeeeeew, that's a lot of monies. Sad that I had to go to bed before the Undertale run, was fun?

HOLY FUCK was that Metroid run a trainwreck. Just caught it and the hype was dead. The guy telling people to kill themselves by jumping into a bus was really bad and killed the crowd, but then the announcer telling the audience to be silent over and over again? I understand serious time but yelling "SILENCE!" when the audience clapped for great moments was brutal. The worst part was when the announcer announced save the animals won in the least hype way possible and then the audience cheered and then he told them all to be silent?! The donation incentive you build up to the whole way through the marathon, constantly hearing kill and save the animals in donations and THAT is how they announce and celebrate the result?

This is the last race of a charity marathon, literally the entire community is in that room and they killed the hype so bad. What a shitty way to to build up to the finale of the marathon. The commentary was mundane and sadly the players abilities seemed to be overtaken by the drama and constant mood dampening announcements.

They really messed up this race and I hope it never gets that awkward again.

jett

D-Member
Hah they just let Sans sleep.

I can't believe they got a million more than last year, that's crazy. It was fun but I didn't watch as much as previous years.

Bl@de

When I went to sleep last night after DS3 it was 1,6 million. And now a total of 2,2 million ? Amazing work. Totally destroyed the last record. Great event and already looking forward to SGDQ 2017!

Bouniter

Wow great news to hard they made another 200,000 after i left for undertale spoilers. Its been fantastic as ever SpeedGaf and was great talking to you all again. See you all at SGDQ.

silencec4y9o.png

At the very least the Undertale run turned out to be one of the best runs. Like top 5-10 easily of the marathon.

Great run, man! Finally just caught it and it was great the whole way though. Also nice to see the nWo shirt hahaha. Too sweet.

Bl@de

My favourite run of the event. Will definetly tune in on twitch some time. Love survival horror speedruns^^

Ultimadrago

Dude, your commentary was great. Thanks for giving your all even though you were dead exhausted!

Oh hey I'm visible in this lol (I'm not the VR guy)

Just a couple things from someone actually there. Sorry if this is a retread.

Metroid run was fine from an in person perspective. The crowd was actually pretty noisy (so the calls for serious time were actually needed), even after the bus thing. The gating on the mics must have been really strong because it wasn't a dead crowd at all.

The ending montage video kept resetting because the stream room wasn't getting the audio. They never fixed it and we have to catch it on VOD. lol

Oh hey I'm visible in this lol (I'm not the VR guy)

Just a couple things from someone actually there. Sorry if this is a retread.

Metroid run was fine from an in person perspective. The crowd was actually pretty noisy (so the calls for serious time were actually needed), even after the bus thing. The gating on the mics must have been really strong because it wasn't a dead crowd at all.

The ending montage video kept resetting because the stream room wasn't getting the audio. They never fixed it and we have to catch it on VOD. lol

Yeah, I think the volume/noise gating on the crowd mics was pretty bad, which meant that "audience is too loud" for people on stage was "oh hey we can actually hear the audience" for people watching the stream and "audience noise is at an acceptable level" for people on stage was "crowd is completely fucking dead" for people watching the stream.

I had to peace out after super metroid because I was super tired and it was approachign 5am, but they ended at 2.2mil? amazing! I honestly expected it to end at 1.8 but the final few hours was nuts for donation support.

GDQ has it's mixed bag of positives and negatives but one thing for sure they pretty much had a good showing all week long and made a ton of money for caner research.

When they asked about kill or save the announcer was just like "oh yeah, save." and that was it, the announcer could have done a better job giving that info over to everyone and read out the final donation totals for kill and save, but he never said and it was poorly done.

Honestly just get spikevegeta back on the donation readings next time super metroid is played, he can hype up a dead horse if he wanted.

Yeah, I think the volume/noise gating on the crowd mics was pretty bad, which meant that "audience is too loud" for people on stage was "oh hey we can actually hear the audience" for people watching the stream and "audience noise is at an acceptable level" for people on stage was "crowd is completely fucking dead" for people watching the stream.
Yeah, pretty much. Audience noise was actually such that it regularly overpowered the speakers playing player/commentator audio so unless I was in the front of the room where the speakers are I couldn't actually hear what was going on.

Didn't think to get video most of the event, but here is the run back to the stream room to be there when it hit $2 million: https://twitter.com/starcreator/status/820669994837090306

Dude, your commentary was great. Thanks for giving your all even though you were dead exhausted!

Man, exhausted doesn't even describe it.

-- Worked 4pm-12am on Friday
-- Woke back up Saturday morning to work 9am-5pm (I work customer service answering phones for a very large company and it's draining work and this day I was unable to take off work because the entire week of the New Year's holiday was roped off from vacation requests)
-- Packed the rest of the night and took our cats to my Mom's house
-- Woke back up at 8am Sunday morning (only to find out my flight from Atlanta to Virginia was delayed an hour)
-- Got into VA at 2pm finally
-- Didn't even take a nap because I was getting warmed up and adrenaline
-- Got to the venue at 9pm and the run was delayed to 2:45am-ish mostly due to the Metal Gear Solid 2 sound issues that forced them to restart about 15 minutes in
-- Got back to our friend's house in Alexandra, VA around 5am and passed out finally for about 11 hours

I had probably a grand total of 10 hours of sleep in that 48-hour period. I'm not even going to lie, I was dozing off during the Resident Evil 0 run and I don't even remember the first 5 minutes of my run. But after those first 5 minutes, I plugged back in and we got it going. Everyone went nuts over my Hank Hill voice, but the fact of the matter is that I can do a lot of voices. Carcinogen who was sitting with us says I do the best David Hayter Snake he's ever heard, but I my voice was so on the verge of collapse, I couldn't really bust anything out. I also do a pretty amazing Donald Trump voice, but I was told by staff that any references to him were totally off limits, so we kept it on ice.

Even on the verge of total collapse, I'm still very proud of what we did.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Shovel Knight
Mega Man
Quake
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Hitman: Blood Money
Battle Clash
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Metroid Rotation
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Castlevania block
Mega Man X
Batman: Arkham City
Donkey Kong 5: The Journey of Over Time and Space
Trauma Center: New Blood
Sonic R
Sonic Adventure DX: Directors Cut
Mystery Game Tournament
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Kirby Super Star
Donkey Kong Country Trilogy Relay
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Dram World
BONUS: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Tasbot block
Undertale(so far it's been damn good)

The Flywrench race and Furi runs were both excellent.

Thank you !

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If anyone wants to try to figure out what VODs to catch up on, here's the stuff I watched with reccs on whether or not it was worth watching:

Doubling back on some stuff:

- Ape Escape 2: Run seemed pretty good and game seemed neat. Recommendation: Throw a shit fit on Twitter because you don't know how to behave in public and then demand an apology that you tell people, pre-emptively, you're going to upload on the internet presumably to trigger a witch hunt against the person that wronged you, also whine about how SJWs are thin-skinned babies while you are aggressively yelling about how your rights are violated because no one wants to be your friend.
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: I found the runner very difficult to tolerate but people in here liked him. There's a lot of cool tech, but personally I found the run a little long and kinda drifted off. Recommendation: Watch only if you really want to see one.
- Borderlands 2: Good tech and very engaging runners but not a very interesting game. Recommendation: Skip
- Psychonauts: Great run with some great tech, good runner. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Shovel Knight race: Good commentary, not sure we get a ton of benefit from the race format. Recommendation: Watch a Shovel Knight run somewhere, not necessarily this one
- Mega Man 1: Great four-person race with some genuine tension as to who will win, and a few clutch bits. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Silent Hill 4: The Room: Honestly, excellent runner, great run, and it really increased my interest in the game, which I had played some of but not all of before. Recommendation: Worth a watch.
- Hitman: Blood Money is a well-executed run but the speedrun strats for levels are lot less entertaining than some of the other, less glitched silent assassin videos you can see on YouTube. Recommendation: Skip
- The Turing Test: Excellent run for such a young game with some good tech and the runner is a very engaging, funny guy (some complaining about the devs "not testing the game", which is a pet peeve of mine, but still). Some tech issues. The game is most notable for its story though, so... Recommendation: Watch if you've played the game
- Hyper Princess Pitch: This is a hilarious top-down Smash TV style action game. Never heard of it. The tech doesn't seem super impressive but it's very cool looking game. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Hydra Castle Labyrinth: The run isn't great with several deaths and safety save loads, but the game looks excellent if you like La-Mulana, Rogue Legacy, Castle in the Darkness, or other exploration paltformers. Really cool game. Recommendation: Worth looking the game up but not watching the run.
- Kirby: Tilt 'n' Tumble: Honestly neither the game nor the tech seemed that interesting BUT it is a game boy game that you control by tilting the game boy and pressing buttons and they play it on a GameCube so the runner sits in a chair, uses a DDR pad for the buttons, and physically swings the GameCube around to play the game so that's amazing. Recommendation: Watch a random 2 minutes of it and crack up laughing.
- Rocket: Robot on Wheels: This is like an insanely good game, I have no idea how I've never heard of or played this before, and the tech is great, and the run was great, wow.
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Good run, good tech, always like seeing Monkey Ball run. Recommendation: Watch.
- Super Monkey Ball Adventure: Runner spends the entire time complaining about the game. Recommendation: Skip

Others I've watched since then:
- Super Mario Kart: Time trial race, pretty visually boring. Recommendation: Skip.
- Congo's Caper: This didn't seem like a very good game and I didn't think the run was notable. Recommendation: Skip.
- Sunset Riders: Excellent game but it's an autoscroller with very little tech and the run went pretty poorly with lots of unplanned deaths, many at the worst possible times. Recommendation: Skip
- Mario Paint: It's just a run of the Fly Swatter mode. The player is good but not great. Recommendation: Skip
- Battle Clash: Great, underrated game, cool run with several quickkills. If you've never played the game it's like Punch Out, but played with the Super Scope (a bazooka peripheral for the SNES). The runner plays half the game facing away from the screen and using a mirror (!?!). Really cool. Recommendation: Watch
- Ninja Gaiden Pacifist Race: Great run. The race was pretty low tension except one part near the end, but both players played really well and the tech is great. Cool way to re-explore a fun game. Recommendation: Watch
- Ninja Gaiden 2 Pacifist: Even better; this game had even more interesting tech like taking damage to boost out of a room, dying from the damage, and the death not registering until the second room. Way way cool. Recommendation: Watch
- Batman: Return of the Joker: Great late NES game that deserves more exposure, good run, commentary just OK. Recommendation: Maybe watch?
- Decap Attack: Another underappreciated game, fun late night run. Recommendation: Maybe watch if you want to see a weird janky Genesis platformer.
- Adventure Island 4: Great commentary, great run. Recommendation: Watch
- Mickey's Dangerous Chase: Kinda lame GBC platformer, and while the runner was entertaining, it didn't quite reach good Bad Games Done Quickly territory. I was left wondering why they accepted this run. Recommendation: Meh
- Jazz Jackrabbit: Great run, excellent presentation, but not a lot of tech, mostly just good routing and high skill play. Recommendation: Watch if you're a fan of Jazz or like engaging presenters.
- Jumping Flash 2: How dope is this game? Good run. Recommendation: Watch
- Road Trip Adventure: Great presenter, great run, totally bizarre game, some awesome tech and glitches. There's a breakdown in the middle where the runner needs to load a safety save because a big skip in the game involves winning on a Roulette wheel. It's understandable but does kill the run a bit, but besides that excellent. Recommendation: Watch, but skip the Roulette segment.

- Quake: Excellent run, but I think it suffers from the fact that the runner was trying to comment and if you didn't know the tech or levels before you watched the run I think you'd be left a little confused. Recommendation: Watch if you know Quake, maybe not if you don't.
- Half Life: Blue Shift: This is not a very good game and the start of the run is pretty slow. Recommendation: Skip
- Super Mario Bros (skipless race): Not a super competitive race, not a great category. Recommendation: Skip
- Super Mario Bros Lost Levels: I enjoyed this one a little better, but I think there are probably lots of Mario runs or races out there you could get more joy out of. Recommendation: Skip
- The Krion Conquest: This is like a low budget Mega Man. I found the run pretty entertaining. Recommendation: Maybe?
- River City Ransom: Well executed run, but honestly not much going on here. Definitely a game that's a lot more fun to play than watch. Recommendation: Skip
- Crowtel: Indie game that I had never heard of before, looks hilarious and fun. Recommendation: Check out the game on Steam!

- Mighty No. 9: Okay. So, what to make of this? Well, the runner is extremely good at the game and the couch seems very knowledgeable as to what is going on. There's no doubt that this is very well executed and if you are interested in the game then you can probably get a lot out of this. I have two issues. First, this looks like it's a pretty bad and very ugly game. But not really bad enough for it to be funny that it's bad. The runner and couch spend a lot of time making fun of the game. But mostly it doesn't seem like they actually think it's bad, it seems like they actually like the game and just don't want to be griefed for liking something others don't. It's very weird and it's palpable through the whole run. "Why would anyone play this game? Now let me tell you very detailed tech research I did". Setting aside this, the runner ... uh... Well, let me just say that if you don't like people screaming loudly, don't watch the run. If you don't like people wearing a "Top Nep" hat and describing themselves as maniacal anime fans, don't watch the run. Others felt that the runner's big personality was endearing and authentic, maybe you will too. . .

- Halo 2: Seemed like a good run in a tough category but I found it pretty bland and long. Recommendation: Skip
- Batman: Arkham City: Seemed like a good run, but not a super engaged crowd or runner. Recommendation: Maybe?

Awful Games Done Quick
- Batman Forever: PJ and Klaige are entertaining but there's not much I got from the game even in a bad sense. Recommendation: Skip
- Timecop: This one on the other hand seemed hilarious, lots of bad game meme potential. Recommendation: Watch
- Rocky and Bullwinkle: This didn't seem like a bad game to me, I found it fun. Recommendation: Watch
- A Nightmare on Elm Street: I have no idea how this is considered a bad game at all. Really cool four player co-op run of an NES game, and they set a world record. Recommendation: Watch!
- The Cheethamen: This is a genuinely bad game. It's a good run, I guess, but it's a little difficult to track what's going on. Recommendation: Maybe
- Donkey Kong 5: This appear to be a rom hack of Super Mario Bros DX, but only half the game, and bad, and featuring Donkey Kong. Contains the definitely non-canonical assertion that Diddy Kong is just a version of Donkey Kong who hasn't eaten in a while??? Also a weird frame story about Chinese spirits??? Recommendation: Watch.
- Catechumen: Extremely entertaining glitches in this Christian FPS. The distorted audio is great, the needing to switch into a low framerate software mode is nuts. Recommendation: Highlight of the awful games block.
- Wolfquest: Honestly this didn't look terrible for an educational game made by the government of Minnesota or whatever, and while I normally like Brossentia I think this one crossed the line of "we're laughing at the game because it's bad" to "we're laughing at the game to pick on it". Setting aside that, I do think the run had some funny parts, and the eventual trick used to speed up the mid game is... uh... something. Recommendation: Probably a watch.

- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter: Bawkbasoup is just such a nice guy and a pleasure to watch run anything and this is an extremely challenging run done impressively. Downside: The main movement mechanic is diagonal movement so it's a little hard to watch. Recommendation: Maybe
- Left 4 Dead: Some really great skips here and excellent high level play. Definitely worth the one hour investment. Recomemndation: Definite watch.
- SEUM: Speedrunners from Hell: This game looks awesome. It's a platformer FPS with built-in speedrunning functions. Excellent tech, engaging runner, and this game looks incredible. I really hope this becomes a fixture at future GDQs. Recommendation: Awesome, definitely watch.
- Katamari Damacy: Great run, knowledgeable runner. Recommendation: Watch
- Super Castlevania IV: Solid race, great game, not sure it's the most engaging game to watch in a speedrun setting. Recommendation: Probably watch?
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Okay, so, the guy dies twice near the start of the run, and there's another blip a little while in. But besides that much of the run is spectacular, the commentary is great, and it really does play the game in unusual ways, so it's more tech oriented than you might think. Recommendation: Definitely watch/
- Snailiad: Cool looking Kongregate game. Not sure I can comment on the run itself, and it's pretty short, but it made me want to play the game. Recommendation: Check it out.
- Human Fall Flat: Awesome looking puzzle platformer that is totally and utterly broken by the run. Recommendation: Definitely watch.
- Tiny Toon Adventures: Most of the game is skipped by flying over the levels so I'm not sure there's much to enjoy here, but the runner seemed fine and the route seemed very optimized. Recommendation: Maybe
- Darkwing Duck: I love TheMexicanRunner and he helps make it interesting. There is some good commentary. I'm not sure the run went great. Recommendation: Maybe
- Super Dram World: This was the most impressive play I saw all AGDQ, totally recommend watching the entire thing, and great great commentary and play by grandpoobear. Huge donations, lots of crowd hype. This was excellent. Recommendation: Definitely watch
- Super Mario Bros Lost Levels Co-op 2people1controller: Impressive, but less interesting than I thought it would be.

- TASBot: Skip the NES Classic section, which is mildly interesting that they got it working, but they demo two completely boring to watch games. Watch the rest.

tamminen

Is the Dark Souls 3 run worth watching? I've heard it's pretty disappointing and everything goes wrong.

Glad I didnt stay up for it and roam around in work like a mummy today. Watched the VOD and I think the souls games deserve better than that huge glitch fiesta they pulled off. I enjoy watching regular all bosses runs way more.

- Mighty No. 9: Okay. So, what to make of this? Well, the runner is extremely good at the game and the couch seems very knowledgeable as to what is going on. There's no doubt that this is very well executed and if you are interested in the game then you can probably get a lot out of this. I have two issues. First, this looks like it's a pretty bad and very ugly game. But not really bad enough for it to be funny that it's bad. The runner and couch spend a lot of time making fun of the game. But mostly it doesn't seem like they actually think it's bad, it seems like they actually like the game and just don't want to be griefed for liking something others don't. It's very weird and it's palpable through the whole run. "Why would anyone play this game? Now let me tell you very detailed tech research I did". Setting aside this, the runner ... uh... Well, let me just say that if you don't like people screaming loudly, don't watch the run. If you don't like people wearing a "Top Nep" hat and describing themselves as maniacal anime fans, don't watch the run. Others felt that the runner's big personality was endearing and authentic, maybe you will too. . .

I'm reminded of what someone said during the Sonic '06 run at the last GDQ about how games that are bad casually can still be fun speedrun games, since a lot of the things that can make games bad are either non-factors or actually positive things when you're just trying to go fast. That's half the reason why there's an Awful Games Done Quick block in the first place. I'd imagine that's what was going on with those guys- they felt like it was just as bad of a casual game as the rest of us did but still had fun speedrunning it.

Durante

This GDQ was great. There's the standard hate spitle and LE DANK STREAMER MAYH MAYHS in the chat, plus the previously mentioned shiftiness with the charity, but by now it's to be expected. It's a big streaming event that isn't an traditional eSport, it's bound to be this way.

I prefer the summer versions more, mostly because the charity involved has a less shaky reputation. But the runs themselves are great either way.
Yeha, I generally donate during SGDQ. But the runs are great either way.

RSB

Banned
Amazing event as usual. Pretty awesome how they shattered their previous donations record. This year I also got to watch quite a few runs, which is great.

My top 5 runs, in no particular order:

- Halo 2 Legendary
- Silent Hill 4
- Metal Gear Solid 2 EE
- Undertale True Pacifist
- DKC Trilogy relay race

Auctopus

Man, the Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom run was really, really good. Fun game to watch, insane amount of tricks and super good commentary - interesting, thoughtful and constant. Crazy how high the skill ceiling must be too 'cause it felt like the guy was running incredibly well but didn't make WR.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think my favorite runs were Batman Forever and Vice City. Did anyone watch Blood Money? How was it?
Blood Money was very good. Not too long but pretty funny and informative. It was also just great to see all those old maps.

JEKKI

I'm trying to catch up on youtube with some runs, but if there's one I can recommend (that probably nobody else will lol) it's Addams Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RLEZonx0s

the run is like 6 minutes so it's an easy watch,

and it looks like a straightforward side scrolly type game, but the way the commentary goes and the amount of stress the runner appears to be under, they make the game sound like it's some kinda La Mulana Dark Souls type of thing,

like wow OK I really want to play this game now!!!

worst run I saw was Decap Attack. The run was fine, but the player was annoying and kept talking crap about the sega, like he's one of those guys who would rather talk about ethics in game journalism than actually have fun playing games.

linko9

Man, the Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom run was really, really good. Fun game to watch, insane amount of tricks and super good commentary - interesting, thoughtful and constant. Crazy how high the skill ceiling must be too 'cause it felt like the guy was running incredibly well but didn't make WR.

For whatever reason that's an extremely popular and competitive speedgame, I always see that that Shift is running it constantly and getting a ton of viewers, so it was neat to finally see what all the to-do was about. One of the things I love about speedrunning is that otherwise forgettable games can become really popular in hilarious ways.

Top Bottom